Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 12th September 2019 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 610939)
According to my Letterboxd diary i've seen 365 films* so far this year.

That's one a day. Everything else to come is a bonus. :pop2:

*(I've seen more than that i just can't be arsed or forget to write reviews for everything)

Kudos!

My film watching has taken a hit this year what with catching up on / re-watching a lot of TV shows etc.

You don't need to review everything you watch though... you can just log a film as watched on a certain date and it will add it to your diary.

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th September 2019 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 610986)
Kudos!

My film watching has taken a hit this year what with catching up on / re-watching a lot of TV shows etc.

You don't need to review everything you watch though... you can just log a film as watched on a certain date and it will add it to your diary.

Yeah i know, i just try and make it a bit more interesting than a simple logging of what i watch diary.

Rik 13th September 2019 01:13 PM

Fancied a nazi zombie film today so I picked out Jess Franco’s Oasis of the Zombies, only the second time I’ve watched this horrendous excuse of a film and this time I only lasted 50 minutes, so long because I was routing through the many boxes of dvds I own looking for a film more worthy of my time on my day off!

Now watching Frankenstein’s Army, a film I enjoyed when I watched it years ago :nod:

MrBarlow 13th September 2019 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 611034)
Fancied a nazi zombie film today so I picked out Jess Franco’s Oasis of the Zombies, only the second time I’ve watched this horrendous excuse of a film and this time I only lasted 50 minutes, so long because I was routing through the many boxes of dvds I own looking for a film more worthy of my time on my day off!

Now watching Frankenstein’s Army, a film I enjoyed when I watched it years ago :nod:

Is it really that bad, only seen bits of it and keeps coming up on my reccomendations on Amazon

Rik 13th September 2019 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 611043)
Is it really that bad, only seen bits of it and keeps coming up on my reccomendations on Amazon

Put it this way, I’ve watched Zombie Creeping Flesh and Burial Ground this week and the pair of them are Oscar worthy masterpieces compared to the piece of shit that is Oasis of the Zombies! I own that and the equally shit Zombie Lake on blu ray and I couldn’t remember which was the better of the 2, it seems neither is worth anyone’s time :lol:

nosferatu42 13th September 2019 04:38 PM

I quite like Zombie Lake, it's shit but i find it entertaining.

Oasis i watched about a year ago when i got the dvd for a £1 in a charity shop.
I was overcharged.;)

Demoncrat 13th September 2019 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 610981)
Is it actually worse than the one that came before it, Infinity War?

Typically I sort of enjoyed the last one. But this .... :behindsofa:

Rik 13th September 2019 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 611047)
I quite like Zombie Lake, it's shit but i find it entertaining.

Oasis i watched about a year ago when i got the dvd for a £1 in a charity shop.
I was overcharged.;)

Think I paid £7.99 each for the Redemption blu rays, both blind buys :doh:

MrBarlow 13th September 2019 05:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Curse of La Llorona. 2019.

A social worker ignores a plea from a mother in her charge and finds herself cursed by a vengeful spirit.

Another edition into The Conjuring universe, Linda Cardellini (Scooby Doo) plays the mother and social worker) who ignores the pleases of Patricia (Patricia Velasquez, The Mummy Returns) who was targeted by La Llorona. Raymond Cruz (Under Seige) plays the exiled priest turned witch Doctor.

Aside this being a story of folklore/urban myth, this has a very dark tone to it, the plot of the story is a bit thin with one or two jump scenes. The acting was good especially by the children who keep up with the suspense but its not nail biting as its meant to be, wait for the price to drop and don't pay the HMV price i did. 5-6 out of 10.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th September 2019 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 611043)

It is what it is really.

Here's what i said back in July.

Quote:

I can't help but love Eurocine productions especially the messier ones like this Jess Franco effort.

Made up of scenes cobbled together from other movies - or are other movies cobbled together from scenes from this movie? - it's inept at best and yet also rather fun. It lacks many of Franco's trademarks (No long zoomy sex scenes here, okay, just one) and possesses none of the lurid gore the Italian zombie films were splattering us with at the time and although it's well photographed it's not particularly atmospheric.

In fact Oasis of the Zombies doesn't have an awful lot in it's favour...except the zombies themselves. I love the way they look. All gnarled and (live) worm ridden, just as if they'd actually come out of the ground. Knowing Eurocine, they probably had.

Not recommended but i did find some sort of perverse pleasure in it's shoddiness.