Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

MrBarlow 3rd August 2020 07:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Boy. 2016.

Greta, a young American Nanny is hired by a wealthy couple to look after their son Brahms, what she finds is a male porcelain doll and is given a set of instructions and rules. When the rules are broken she believes the doll to be alive, the longer she is in the house the more secrets she begins to uncover.

This is the second time i have seen this film and enjoyed it more this time round, Lauren Cohan plays Greta, who thinks it's a joke to look after a doll but soon comes to terms with her employment. Throughout the film it does keep it's dark atmosphere in a Gothic mansion in the middle of nowhere makes the perfect setting.

Even though the film does have a creepy haunted house vibe it's the doll that makes it intensifying as dolls can be made to look scary and the film makers nailed it with this one. What also makes the film work is the originality of the story in a way and not a stupid remake or a knock off from another movie.

Attachment 226671

MrBarlow 3rd August 2020 09:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Brahms: The Boy II. 2020.

After a traumatic experience, a family move to the countryside and rent a house next to the Heelshire Mansion where the young son finds the Brahms doll. Soon after the son begins to act strangely the parents start questioning whether it's the son's behavior or is it the doll.

This isn't the greatest sequel, it was enjoyable for the 1 hour and 27 minutes and it isn't on the edge of your seat spectacular must see movie. Taken a few years after the first film, Katie Holmes and Owain Yeoman play the family with their son Jude played by Christopher Convery who finds the doll and now their son won't part with it. Ralph Ineson plays the groundskeeper Joseph who may know more than he lets on.

There is some good built up suspense moments that seems to let the movie down and as the jump scares that are way too noticeable that all you can do is laugh and think "really". The cast do try and keep it entertaining as possible, even looking inside the abandoned Mansion still has the creepy Gothic vibe, will hand it to the makers for making the doll look more creepy and added in more close ups of the doll's face and eyes.

Attachment 226672

gag 3rd August 2020 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 631912)
Brahms: The Boy II. 2020.

After a traumatic experience, a family move to the countryside and rent a house next to the Heelshire Mansion where the young son finds the Brahms doll. Soon after the son begins to act strangely the parents start questioning whether it's the son's behavior or is it the doll.

This isn't the greatest sequel, it was enjoyable for the 1 hour and 27 minutes and it isn't on the edge of your seat spectacular must see movie. Taken a few years after the first film, Katie Holmes and Owain Yeoman play the family with their son Jude played by Christopher Convery who finds the doll and now their son won't part with it. Ralph Ineson plays the groundskeeper Joseph who may know more than he lets on.

There is some good built up suspense moments that seems to let the movie down and as the jump scares that are way too noticeable that all you can do is laugh and think "really". The cast do try and keep it entertaining as possible, even looking inside the abandoned Mansion still has the creepy Gothic vibe, will hand it to the makers for making the doll look more creepy and added in more close ups of the doll's face and eyes.

Attachment 226672

It’s not had great reviews that’s what puts me off watching it.

MrBarlow 3rd August 2020 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 631914)
It’s not had great reviews that’s what puts me off watching it.

Go with it in a open mind gag that's what I done, ignore some of the reviews online, I bet half of them haven't seen all the film and decided to put up something.

gag 3rd August 2020 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 631915)
Go with it in a open mind gag that's what I done, ignore some of the reviews online, I bet half of them haven't seen all the film and decided to put up something.

I’m half and half When a film get really bad reviews, half don’t rush to watch it, and at same time half ignore the criticism. But like owt else I do eventually. While 1st one no classic it was a decent film.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd August 2020 02:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Straight Outta Compton (2015)

Biographical drama depicting the rise and fall of L.A. hip hop act N.W.A.

Largely enjoyable with some great music and a very gritty vibe, you can certainly understand why they named perhaps their most famous song what they did, but there were too many unlikable characters and far too many in your face arguments for me to think of it as a great movie and yet the underlying social issues remain scarily relevant today.

Demoncrat 3rd August 2020 04:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Blood Street (1988)

A PI is hired to find a missing husband. Starring Leo Fong (Low Blow, Kill Point), this rather haphazardly told tale was a joy to behold ... poorly framed action sequences, muffled dialogue and all. Another YT find. :pop2::lol:

ArgentoFan1987 3rd August 2020 06:33 PM

Edge of The Axe (1988)

1 Attachment(s)
A Spanish-American slasher films, it follows two friends, Gerald and Richard, as they move to a Californian mountain town as a series of murders are happening.

Largely filmed in Spain, this thriller is low on kills and gore and apparently made-for-TV, but has a good sense of humour and spends lots of time with the characters.

I really enjoyed this. I loved getting to know Richard, Gerald and his new girlfriend Lillian, as the law enforcement try to keep the lid on the situation of a killer on the loose. It's really well paced, well acted and you really see a change in these characters as the film goes on. 7/10

Demoncrat 3rd August 2020 06:54 PM

I liked it, personally and will return to it a shortly methinks!!!

ArgentoFan1987 3rd August 2020 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 631940)
I liked it, personally and will return to it a shortly methinks!!!

Yeah, it's definitely well worth revisiting.