Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demoncrat 27th December 2020 09:36 AM

A few that I saw ...

Repo Man
Revisit this old warhorse. Still very funny. His best film? Maybe ....

The Screaming Skull (1959)
Suburban Gothic, as a new bride trepidatiously enters her new home. Everything seems pleasant, but still .... hadn't seen this one before, and whilst tis a bit flat in places, I enjoyed this , the last embers of the old guard on the cusp of a new and exciting departure just around the corner etc ...
Ahem.

My Octopus Teacher (2020)
Documentary. Nothing like Costeau :xmaslol:. Would have made a great Ghibli film tbh. You'ld all be going "AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW" and t'ing. An oddity.

Spawn Of The Slithis
(1978, Stephen Traxler)
Good old fashioned monster movie, with 70s concerns thrown in. Several familiar elements bubble up in this particular eco stew. Reminded me a tad od Doomwatch and a few DW episodes tbh. Will revisit this one again certainly ...

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th December 2020 09:57 AM

Decemberdike # 26

1 Attachment(s)
Mandy (2018)

WTF? I was not expecting this nor did i want to watch something like this last night. Being a Nic Cage film i was expecting, nay, hoping for something on the lines of Drive Angry (2011). You know all out shit kicking Cage mayhem. Not some arthouse flick crossed with Rob Zombie which was either bathed in red or too friggin' dark to see anything.

I'm not saying if it was good or bad as i really didn't want to watch this style of movie so i'll give it another go when i have another extremely slow two hours to spare and feel more in the mood.

Justin101 27th December 2020 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 642956)
Mandy (2018)

WTF? I was not expecting this nor did i want to watch something like this last night. Being a Nic Cage film i was expecting, nay, hoping for something on the lines of Drive Angry (2011). You know all out shit kicking Cage mayhem. Not some arthouse flick crossed with Rob Zombie which was either bathed in red or too friggin' dark to see anything.

I'm not saying if it was good or bad as i really didn't want to watch this style of movie so i'll give it another go when i have another extremely slow two hours to spare and feel more in the mood.

I've been curious about this one for ages but held off as it's been very hyped up, hardly ever a good sign tbh

gag 27th December 2020 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 642957)
I've been curious about this one for ages but held off as it's been very hyped up, hardly ever a good sign tbh

And I’ve held of because it stars nic cage who I’m not a fan of.

Demoncrat 27th December 2020 11:37 AM

Pish and tosh fellow Labbers. Mandy is Exploitation gold disguised as arthouse cough.

REWATCH!!!!!

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th December 2020 11:54 AM

I'm pretty sure i'll enjoy Mandy on rewatch when i know what i'm letting myself in for.

Inspector Abberline 27th December 2020 12:55 PM

recent watches...

7 Attachment(s)
recent rewatches..all enjoyable...im too full of Christmas cake to write a reviews...

Graveyard 27th December 2020 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 642961)
Pish and tosh fellow Labbers. Mandy is Exploitation gold disguised as arthouse cough.

REWATCH!!!!!

True that. :xmasnuts:

Demoncrat 27th December 2020 02:57 PM

Hell Spawn (1993, Alan Joseph Michael )

Another half decent effort this, I say half because the dialogue is that muffled, it took two watches to get the actual story right haha. It's all really quite bittersweet this one tbh. A local legend has some truth to it, as a group of friends find out to their cost. Fun here. Recommended.

Phantom Brother (1988, William Szarka)

More SOV. The first intentional comedy horror one as well it seems, as familal matters come to a head when the oldest son finds a new love. A hoot. Some familiar ground here certainly, but it's in the telling ...

Demoncrat 28th December 2020 12:11 PM

My Lovely Burnt Brother & His Squashed Brain (1988)

Jodorowsky on a budget of $1.75 (plus tax!!)
Fisher Price psychodelia from the hinterlands. To describe it blah blah blah Ebert said it was pond scum blah blah WHATEVER. RECOMMENDED.
Once every 15 minutes comes a motion picture .... this is one of those ones. Revenge and dentistry and the KKK and Spanish dialogue?? UUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Made Things seem quaint :xmasbanana: