Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th March 2022 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 667744)
I’ve got nothing against a long film but they make for a poor cinema experience.

I can happily sit through an epic long film such as Spartacus or Cleopatra but sitting there for three hours staring into the darkness as Pattinson mumbles to himself isn't my idea of fun. :lol:

J Harker 4th March 2022 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 667748)
I can happily sit through an epic long film such as Spartacus or Cleopatra but sitting there for three hours staring into the darkness as Pattinson mumbles to himself isn't my idea of fun. [emoji38]

I struggled with 2hrs of him mumbling to Willem Dafoe in a lighthouse while tugging and farting.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Super 8 4th March 2022 01:45 PM

Sharkey's Machine (1981)

Got round to watching the uncut version of this (never got to see it all due to BBFC's stance on Nunchucks) and still holds up even now.:)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 4th March 2022 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 667747)
I've finished the Potter films after getting them on Blu. Some of them are way too long and meandering.

The Deathly Hallows Part 1 is probably the worst – it does away with all of the momentum from the previous films and, as someone who hasn't read any of the books, is often indecipherable.

If it wasn't part of a multi-million dollar franchise, a 140-minute film about three moody, hormonal teenagers who go camping, feel scared and miserable, and fall out with each other would be a tough sell.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 667747)
Goblet of Fire and The Deathly Hallows Part 2 are excellent.

Agreed on both counts – The Deathly Hallows Part 2 is very good, making the dreary first part forgivable.

Mojo 4th March 2022 05:22 PM

VOICES ( 1973 )
There’s a touch of DON’T LOOK NOW about this UK mystery drama, with a husband and wife coming to terms with the accidental death of their son. Real life couple David Hemings and Gayle Hunnicut ( going through a troublesome marriage at the time ) play the bickering couple in a drama that feels more like an extended Play For Today or Brian Clemens Thriller episode ( and there’s nothing wrong with that ) which gives it quite a unique feel.
I enjoyed this ( in the same way I love the above tv series ) and it’s great to see such a little seen film given the excellent Indicator treatment.

SHOCK ( 1977 )
Mario Bava’s final film features a terrific performance from Daria Nicolodi as a deeply disturbed woman trying to recover from the death of her previous husband, while struggling with the strange goings on in her house, which seem to be linked with her young son’s increasingly strange behaviour.
It doesn’t seem to rank highly among Bava’s output, but I really like SHOCK and have noticed lots of new details in the movie - mainly thanks to Arrow’s superb Blu Ray presentation and Stephen Thrower’s excellent review of the film, on here as an extra.

Demoncrat 4th March 2022 06:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Noted M, I too love Shock and will defend it til my last breath :nod:

Blacklight (2022, Mark Williams)

"This week I 'ave been mostly directing an action movie ...."

Ahem. The Neeson is the FBI's secret asset (of course), sent to reclaim a rogue (white male) agent lost in deep cover. So far so good?
Well, strap in for the woke express folks as the most blatant example of crowbarring I've seen yet from Hypocritewood derailed the whole flick. Plus he's looking old now.

Force: Five
(1981, Robert Clouse)

A crack team is assembled in order to quench a despot's schemes. This was more like it, what with Richard Norton and Benny Urquidez ahem cough in the gang. The villian is played to the hilt by another familiar face :lol:
Yes, it's basically a remake of Enter The Dragon, and???:nod::laugh:

iank 4th March 2022 08:50 PM

Rented the new Scream on YT last night. All I can say is - I'm glad I didn't blind-buy it. I had my doubts about Scream 4 given the 10 year gap but was really very pleasently surprised. I had my doubts about this given the gap and the lack of Wes Craven and Kevin Williamson and, sadly, I was right this time. This movie is awful. First off, it's BORING. How do you make a Scream movie boring? I dunno, ask them. The original trio are very clearly getting too old for this shit, which is probably why they're largely sidelined (Dewey is treated horrendously, too, but he's a middle aged hetero white guy so I'm sure that's okay) in favour of a new cast. Which might work, if the new cast weren't so utterly bland, nondescript and faceless, including the new female lead. Who the hell are these people? The characters are nothing, but I don't even recognise any of the actors bar Dylan Minnette, who is getting way too old to be playing high school students and is hardly a big star. And I've no idea who any of the others are. What happened to the days when the Scream movies got actual names in them?
This movie bored and depressed me. It's Halloween 2018 all over again. Apparently Scream 6 is already on the way.
Sorry, I'm out. :whip::behindsofa::confused:

Graveyard 4th March 2022 08:55 PM

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/..._AC_SY445_.jpg

Violent and dark, punks are the worst :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th March 2022 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 667790)
Rented the new Scream on YT last night. All I can say is - I'm glad I didn't blind-buy it. I had my doubts about Scream 4 given the 10 year gap but was really very pleasently surprised. I had my doubts about this given the gap and the lack of Wes Craven and Kevin Williamson and, sadly, I was right this time. This movie is awful. First off, it's BORING. How do you make a Scream movie boring? I dunno, ask them. The original trio are very clearly getting too old for this shit, which is probably why they're largely sidelined (Dewey is treated horrendously, too, but he's a middle aged hetero white guy so I'm sure that's okay) in favour of a new cast. Which might work, if the new cast weren't so utterly bland, nondescript and faceless, including the new female lead. Who the hell are these people? The characters are nothing, but I don't even recognise any of the actors bar Dylan Minnette, who is getting way too old to be playing high school students and is hardly a big star. And I've no idea who any of the others are. What happened to the days when the Scream movies got actual names in them?
This movie bored and depressed me. It's Halloween 2018 all over again. Apparently Scream 6 is already on the way.
Sorry, I'm out. :whip::behindsofa::confused:

Going off that write up i think i'll be joining you.

gag 5th March 2022 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graveyard (Post 667791)
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/..._AC_SY445_.jpg

Violent and dark, punks are the worst :lol:

Great film, always worth a watch.