Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demoncrat 14th May 2023 04:57 PM

Last Man Down (2021, Fansu Njie)

Actioner.
Daniel Stisen again is a haunted man with a past. Slightly poapoc, this was sort of by the numbers really. Revelations come at the appropriate part etc etc. Lots of folk die, though not too graphically.
Middling.

MrBarlow 14th May 2023 07:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Faster. 2010.

A ex con recently released from prison goes on the hunt for those he feels responsible for his brother's death and incarceration.

Billy Bob Thornton can adapt to some decent roles and play a ex junkie cop that looks rugged up and not slept for days and assigned to a clear case of a shooting on camera. Dwayne Johnson plays the ex con out for vengeance with one gun and one set of clothes. This isn't spectacular, fight scene is decent and a good car chase, there is a bit drama mixed in but halfway through you can figure out the twist to the end.

Attachment 246249

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th May 2023 09:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Deja-Vu (2006)

Utter nonsense starring Denzel Washington as a special agent using a newly developed wormhole device in tracking down a terrorist who blows up a ferry in New Orleans killing hundreds of innocents.

This is as daft and preposterous as they come and at times (mainly the end) nonsensical but because it stars Washington and was directed by Tony Scott it's nonsense that looks great and is supremely stylish.

J Harker 14th May 2023 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 685857)
Faster. 2010.

A ex con recently released from prison goes on the hunt for those he feels responsible for his brother's death and incarceration.

Billy Bob Thornton can adapt to some decent roles and play a ex junkie cop that looks rugged up and not slept for days and assigned to a clear case of a shooting on camera. Dwayne Johnson plays the ex con out for vengeance with one gun and one set of clothes. This isn't spectacular, fight scene is decent and a good car chase, there is a bit drama mixed in but halfway through you can figure out the twist to the end.

Attachment 246249

I've had this for years but never watched it. Forget I even own it.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

MrBarlow 14th May 2023 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 685872)

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Its not one id pick out but saw a movie recap of it on YouTube and seemed interesting but just another Dwayne Johnston hard man flick

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th May 2023 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 685872)

I have it on dvd. Couldn't tell you a thing about it other than what i just read.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th May 2023 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 685875)
I have it on dvd. Couldn't tell you a thing about it other than what i just read.

Actually is that the one that at some point involves a give us your cash preacher?

MrBarlow 14th May 2023 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 685876)
Actually is that the one that at some point involves a give us your cash preacher?

Yeah there is a preacher in it who goes on about forgiveness at the end

MrBarlow 15th May 2023 01:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It Stains The Sands Red. 2014.

A lone female in the midst of a zombie apocalypse stranded in the Nevada desert is perused by a zombie.

Brittany Allen plays a go go dancer with a somewhat heavy cocaine addiction in platform shoes trying to reach a airport in blazing hot weather perused by a zombie she eventually names Smalls. This is like a road trip with a zombie for companionship, yet she still takes measures at night sleeping on a higher surface. Technically this has a comedy hallmark but there is none just a mix of horror and drama. Set over a period of two days director does add some good tense moments with a sandstorm mixed in with two lonely guys looking for some action and decent make up effects for the zombie and sun burn. May not be for everyone but it's worth a glance.

Attachment 246258

MrBarlow 15th May 2023 03:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mermaid: The Lake Of The Dead. 2018.

Every so often we get a treat from European film makers that can easily slip under the radar that we eventually find. This starts off with a Russian Folklore of nymphs who want a mate and if rejected she will hunt and haunt you and eventually drag someone to the depths. One man rejected her and 20 years later his son is now the intended target...talk about keeping it in the family.

I basically had to search the nymph as technically she isn't a mermaid, there is no fins but based on the folklore she is a "Rusalka", a tormented entity of a drowned woman who can be vengeful. With the film being Russian I did have to laugh at the dubbing as it was all over the place, the acting is decent and good visual effects above and below the water surface. Certainly something I would return to.

Attachment 246261