Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th January 2024 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 694165)
Never seen this sounds right up my alley tho think I'll grab it

I think you'll enjoy it, Nordy. I was proper gripped.

Nordicdusk 5th January 2024 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 694167)
I think you'll enjoy it, Nordy. I was proper gripped.

Had to get the Spanish import or pay €39 on Amazon for 101s release.

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th January 2024 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 694168)
Had to get the Spanish import or pay €39 on Amazon for 101s release.

Don't 101 ship to Ireland directly?

MrBarlow 5th January 2024 07:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
V/H/S/85/ 2023.

No Wake.
A group of teens head out to a abandoned summer camp and take a dip in the lake but think there is something in the water as someone is taking shots at them.

God Of Death.
After a earthquake in Mexico, a group of rescuers discover something more sinister underneath a building.

TKNOGD.
A performance artist on stage to a small audience presents a live show only for it to go wrong while using new technology and a family reunion goes wrong when ambushed in a police raid.

Dreamkill.
A police detective is hunting a serial killer and slowly discovers how murders are happening before the actual murder and who is behind it.

I loved these movies and slowly warming up to V/H/S/ Viral, it does show how people can be creative with horror and in between the segments we have a story called Total Copy about government cover up of a shape shifting alien that could have been shown more. Aside from the gore fest that we love, for me God Of Death which the earthquake did happen in Mexico in 1985 was a better segment and has the feel of claustrophobia mixed in. At times I wasn't on the edge of my seat with these as I was with the previous films and this instalment can easily be a "now you have watched, that's it".

Attachment 249445

Nordicdusk 5th January 2024 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 694171)
Don't 101 ship to Ireland directly?

They do but they only had the limited edition and that's sold out I couldn't see the standard edition.

Demoncrat 6th January 2024 08:37 AM

Wasn't it known as Tuff Turf over here on vhs?? ;) (New Kids ahem).

MrBarlow 6th January 2024 09:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Phantom Of The Paradise. 1974.

Checked this one out last night with my horror buddy Annmarie and what a laugh we had with this, right at the start it was a case of "WTF" with the first group, then a guy coming on played by George Memmoli discussing a singer and William Finley making a piano rendition and makes a deal with the devil Paul Williams.

What follows mix between Phantom Of The Opera and Faust with Jessica Harper who we know from Suspiria plays the young singer who manages to capture the attention of our hero in this and the only one he wants to sing his songs. The movie is a visually and musically impressive rock opera with a healthy dose of horror and tongue in cheek humor. Brian De Palma cleverly conjures the basic outline of Leroux's novel and add elements of his other influences making the movie a subtle yet moving tribute to the book and movies that have been added in (there is a nod to Frankenstein placed in the film). Some of the songs were pretty catchy but not sure if a re-watch will happen or not.

Attachment 249451

Susan Foreman 6th January 2024 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 694186)
Phantom Of The Paradise. 1974.

...but not sure if a re-watch will happen or not

Of course it will - it's a classic

MrBarlow 6th January 2024 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 694187)
Of course it will - it's a classic

Who am I kidding....it will happen :pound:

nosferatu42 6th January 2024 12:11 PM

I love Phantom of the Paradise. :cool: