Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st May 2024 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 698921)
Comparing it to Altman has made it even worse haha but the rest of your review sounds OK lol.

McCabe and Mrs. Miller is a brilliant film. You are missing out if you haven't seen that now you are enjoying westerns.

Justin101 21st May 2024 05:20 PM

I like Westerns fine but I can?t stand Robert Altman?s style. I never say never though so be happy to check it out.

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st May 2024 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 698924)
I like Westerns fine but I can?t stand Robert Altman?s style. I never say never though so be happy to check it out.

It's a Premium Collection title so may well be OOP.

Besides i could swear you liked Altman's Gosford Park.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st May 2024 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 698922)
McCabe and Mrs. Miller is a brilliant film. You are missing out if you haven't seen that now you are enjoying westerns.

I endorse these sentiments. McCabe and Mrs. Miller is a great film which everyone who likes westerns should watch.

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd May 2024 04:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Chill Factor (1993)

Also known as Demon Possessed, The Chill Factor centers on a group of snowmobilers who end up trapped at an abandoned summer camp where occult goings on took place. Upon finding an awesome looking ouija board called the Devils' Eye...well you can probably imagine what comes next.

A film soundtracked by what can only be described as elevator muzak which is quite hypnotic at times meaning i was watching the on screen nonsense in a bit of a daze which is probably the best way to see The Chill Factor as on the whole it's a mixed bag.

Of course anyone who isn't captured and swept away by the atmosphere may find parts of this a bit dull and it needs to be noted that unlike The Prey i reviewed yesterday the acting here borders on the abysmal.

The murders when they happen are fun, especially the icicle through the eye, and the fact they all play out to the unearthly muzak back drop which is unflinching in it's constant drone gave them an especially eerie dream like nature as did the cabin which itself was very Evil Dead like, but Evil Dead in the snow. How cool is that?

Justin101 22nd May 2024 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 698954)
The Chill Factor (1993)

Also known as Demon Possessed, The Chill Factor centers on a group of snowmobilers who end up trapped at an abandoned summer camp where occult goings on took place. Upon finding an awesome looking ouija board called the Devils' Eye...well you can probably imagine what comes next.

A film soundtracked by what can only be described as elevator muzak which is quite hypnotic at times meaning i was watching the on screen nonsense in a bit of a daze which is probably the best way to see The Chill Factor as on the whole it's a mixed bag.

Of course anyone who isn't captured and swept away by the atmosphere may find parts of this a bit dull and it needs to be noted that unlike The Prey i reviewed yesterday the acting here borders on the abysmal.

The murders when they happen are fun, especially the icicle through the eye, and the fact they all play out to the unearthly muzak back drop which is unflinching in it's constant drone gave them an especially eerie dream like nature as did the cabin which itself was very Evil Dead like, but Evil Dead in the snow. How cool is that?

Definitely seen this one :lol: I liked it haha.

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd May 2024 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 698958)
Definitely seen this one :lol: I liked it haha.

The scene with the two girls bickering as their friend lies bleeding to death was laughably shit. Other parts were fun. I find i can always go back and watch movies like this no matter their quality though.

:lol: I think i gave this four Santa's out of five when i reviewed it a few years ago.

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd May 2024 01:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Edge of the Axe (1988)

A late entry in the eighties slasher cycle courtesy of director Jose Larraz. One of those films (Pieces is another example) where Spain doubles as California, although they'd definitely filmed out of a car window in California. However that's not to say it's a poverty row slice of movie making. It really isn't.

Production values are high and there are some great sequences of location filming including a genuinely creepy stalk and slash scene with gorgeous use of colour which brutally ends at a railway line. In fact all the murders are well done even if they are kinda samey. I mean. An axe attack is always an axe attack.

Some lengthy scenes where two characters type endless lines onto primitive computers are deadly dull but on the whole Edge of the Axe is a well made, fairly effective slasher film in which second time round i'd forgotten who the killer was and once again guessed wrong. Well it was one or the other, maybe next time eh?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 24th May 2024 10:52 AM

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes

Set many generations after the events in War of the Planet of the Apes, possibly in the 24th century, when humans have become feral and lost the power of speech, this film follows a group of chimpanzees who are skilled hunters and have mastered falconry.

While the leader of the group, Noa, tries to recover from a devastating attack from a rival clan, a tyrannical ape, Proximus Maximus, is building an empire. When a tragedy befalls Noa's clan and the family in attack where he is left for dead, Noa sets out to find his abducted friends.

I have thoroughly enjoyed watching the Planet of the Apes reboot trilogy (Dawn, Rise, and War) several times, so went into this film with high hopes even though I'd only seen one film directed by Wes Ball, The Maze Runner.

Although this has quite remarkable visual effects which make the apes photorealistic and so lifelike that I didn't think of them as digital creations, fully accepting them as apes that can talk, ride horses, raise and train falcons ? it's amazing how easily that suspension of disbelief can take place.

I didn't think this was as engaging as the previous three Apes films, possibly because Noa isn't as strong a character as Caesar and, in terms of motion capture and voice work, Owen Teague isn't as accomplished as Andy Serkis. Kevin Durand is well cast as the antagonist because his body language and voice give Proximus Maximus real authority and menace.

In some respects, although Kingdom the Planet of the Apes is a film I didn't want, now it's made and in cinemas, I'm glad I saw it and think the next one will build on this story in an interesting world with engaging characters ? I'll almost certainly go to watch that one as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdr5oedn7q8

MrBarlow 25th May 2024 06:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Navy SEALS. 1990.

A elite teams of Seals go on the hunt for a terrorist group that have high tech weaponry.

Michael Biehn leads the team followed by trigger finger happy Charlie Sheen who is always on high adrenaline and like to bend or break the rules with "going into silence mode" that never happens. Bill Paxton sporting a bit of a moustache and doesn't seem to enjoy a bit of golf and generally a bit tougher soldier than what he was in Aliens and doesn't buckle under pressure Rick Rossovich obviously wanted to try something new on the ground rather being in a fighter jet in Top Gun.

Terrorists would rather go for a biological/chemical threat weaponry missile but here they go for land to air stinger missiles that seems to go to. The acting is decent in this plenty of action/gunfire and few good kills but character writing for one or two does tend to make the movie go a bit OTT, but certainly does have some entertaining value.

Attachment 251273