Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Buboven 6th April 2015 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 443190)
Beneath the planet of the apes

Not as good as the first but in some ways I enjoy this more . We only see Heston at the begining and the end the story this time evolves around another unfortunate astronaut to crash land on the planet of the apes and a group a mutant humans who worship a nuclear bomb. 8/10

The explorers

An enjoyable joe Dante film about a group of boys( including a young river Phoenix and Ethan hawke ) that build a spacecraft and set off into outer space, through strange dreams that they share. 7.5/10

Dracula (1958)

The first and still the best of the hammer dracula's. Greats job has been done on the restoration, only downside it's over before it begins. 9.5/10

Now watching the whip and the body, can someone tell me why Lee has been dubbed it's a little off putting. After that might watch one of the most bonkers and confusing movies I have seen the visitor and see if I can make any more sense of the plot this time around

If I remember correctly, it goes into Lee's dubbing in the quite good making of extra feature in Odeon's release, shame about the actual transfer of the main feature.

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th April 2015 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 443190)

Dracula (1958)

The first and still the best of the hammer dracula's. Greats job has been done on the restoration, only downside it's over before it begins. 9.5/10

Sounds like you watched the trailer Treb. :lol:

Buboven 6th April 2015 10:29 PM

The French Connection 2

5/10.

Nordicdusk 6th April 2015 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buboven (Post 443219)
The French Connection 2

5/10.

What did you think of the first one.

Buboven 6th April 2015 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 443220)
What did you think of the first one.

9/10

As soon as the score kicked in for the second one i knew I wasn't going to like it as much as the first one and once it got to the part where Doyle is fighting his addiction from getting injected to the police cell the pace just completely got destroyed and i couldn't finish it!

J Harker 6th April 2015 11:22 PM

The first one took me 3 attempts. First twice i feel asleep. Third time i watched it in a Sunday afternoon and loved it.

Nordicdusk 7th April 2015 06:34 AM

Yeah the second one is no where near as good as the first it has some good point but overall it's not one I would revisit often.

demonknight 7th April 2015 09:54 AM

Tenebrae - 1982;

Haven't watched an Argento flick in ages, so I put that right last night. My personal favourite remains "Suspiria", but I decided to give the Tenebrae re-mastered Blu edition from Arrow a spin. Reviews elsewhere had said that this particular release from the mostly reliable, Arrow Video, featured a first class transfer; and they were absolutely spot on.

The entire movie was a joy to watch. I just could not take my eyes off the screen. Hard to believe this movie is over thirty years old. One of the best releases yet from Arrow, in terms of PQ. Checked out all the extras, with the exception of the two commentaries. Great interviews with Nicolodi, Argento and Simonetti from the late and great, Goblin.

Take a bow Arrow! :)

Buboven 7th April 2015 10:54 AM

Rewatch of Leon on Blu

One of those extremely rare films I can easily watch over and over again. Noticed Mathilda's awesome Roy Lichtenstein trousers this time. Wish I could give an extra half star for that. And as ever, the ending never fails to move me.

I think we will always be alright Mathilda and Leon.

10/10

:rockon:

Prince_Vajda 7th April 2015 12:10 PM

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) * * * ½
After so many years, this masterpiece (part of the permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art in NYC) is still compelling and powerful. Although (or maybe because?) most of the violence and menace is not shown explicitly, the ubiquitous ghastly atmosphere and Daniel Pearl’s skilful cinematography make this Hooper-directed flick a prime example of successful low budget filmmaking. Highly recommended.

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre 2 (1986) * * *
Apart from a few characters (including Leatherface) and some basic ingredients (e.g. chainsaws), this sequel, once more directed by Tobe Hooper, has not very much to do with the original film. It’s an outright disgusting and totally silly Horror film spoof with lots of gory moments and just as many laughs. This is probably not to everybody’s taste, but definitely right up my alley.

The Hills Have Eyes (2006) * ½
This remake of Craven’s 1977 original is a great disappointment. Director Alexandre Aja created a lifeless cardboard replica without any originality. The names of most characters, several individual scenes, bits and pieces of dialogue, clichés – apart from the remake's very own appalling carnage at the ‘ghost town’, this is (co-producer) Craven’s film transferred to 2006. Skip this film and watch the original instead; it’s far from being perfect and its ‘mutants’ are mostly funny instead of frightening, but at least you are spared the preposterous anti-nuclear propaganda of this failed remake. Half a star for the quirky gas station attendant.

Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III (1990) * * ½
After the first sequel’s comedic approach, the franchise’s producers wanted the third part to be a merciless Horror film again, but with more gore and violence than the original. However, this did not happen. Wishy-washy financial backers, the MPAA, and to some extent the hair-raising pre-production turned the shooting of this film into a mess. After countless cuts, the final R-rated version was a box office bomb. Luckily, in 2003 the uncut original version was used for the home video re-release. Despite its problematic production, the film is surprisingly good. Convincing gore, lots of totally absurd scenes, quite a bit of action, and a badass Ken Foree make this sick film quite enjoyable. Much better than expected.

Graduation Day (1981) * *
Apart from a few editing and soundtrack experiments (including a pretty neat opening sequence), this is pretty much a standard Slasher film. Most of the genre’s weaknesses (silly dialogues, foreseeable plot) and strengths (cheesiness, inventive murders) can be found in Graduation Day. Unfortunately, the film drags on quite a bit. It’s by no means unwatchable, though, especially as it stars Christopher George - always a plus in my book.

J Harker 7th April 2015 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 443262)
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) * * * ½
After so many years, this masterpiece (part of the permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art in NYC) is still compelling and powerful. Although (or maybe because?) most of the violence and menace is not shown explicitly, the ubiquitous ghastly atmosphere and Daniel Pearl’s skilful cinematography make this Hooper-directed flick a prime example of successful low budget filmmaking. Highly recommended.

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre 2 (1986) * * *
Apart from a few characters (including Leatherface) and some basic ingredients (e.g. chainsaws), this sequel, once more directed by Tobe Hooper, has not very much to do with the original film. It’s an outright disgusting and totally silly Horror film spoof with lots of gory moments and just as many laughs. This is probably not to everybody’s taste, but definitely right up my alley.

The Hills Have Eyes (2006) * ½
This remake of Craven’s 1977 original is a great disappointment. Director Alexandre Aja created a lifeless cardboard replica without any originality. The names of most characters, several individual scenes, bits and pieces of dialogue, clichés – apart from the remake's very own appalling carnage at the ‘ghost town’, this is (co-producer) Craven’s film transferred to 2006. Skip this film and watch the original instead; it’s far from being perfect and its ‘mutants’ are mostly funny instead of frightening, but at least you are spared the preposterous anti-nuclear propaganda of this failed remake. Half a star for the quirky gas station attendant.

Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III (1990) * * ½
After the first sequel’s comedic approach, the franchise’s producers wanted the third part to be a merciless Horror film again, but with more gore and violence than the original. However, this did not happen. Wishy-washy financial backers, the MPAA, and to some extent the hair-raising pre-production turned the shooting of this film into a mess. After countless cuts, the final R-rated version was a box office bomb. Luckily, in 2003 the uncut original version was used for the home video re-release. Despite its problematic production, the film is surprisingly good. Convincing gore, lots of totally absurd scenes, quite a bit of action, and a badass Ken Foree make this sick film quite enjoyable. Much better than expected.

Graduation Day (1981) * *
Apart from a few editing and soundtrack experiments (including a pretty neat opening sequence), this is pretty much a standard Slasher film. Most of the genre’s weaknesses (silly dialogues, foreseeable plot) and strengths (cheesiness, inventive murders) can be found in Graduation Day. Unfortunately, the film drags on quite a bit. It’s by no means unwatchable, though, especially as it stars Christopher George - always a plus in my book.

I really like Alexandre Aja's Hills remake. The sequel however is awful.

Sam 7th April 2015 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 443263)
I really like Alexandre Aja's Hills remake. The sequel however is awful.

Me too, I actually prefer it to Craven's overated original [emoji87] [emoji102]

jiraffejustin 7th April 2015 03:24 PM

The Woman in the Dunes (1964)

A brilliant, modernized re-telling of the tale of Sisyphus, with fantastic cinematography and acting. The close-ups of skin speckled by grains of sand mixed with sweat is enough to make me totally uncomfortable than a lot of what I see in horror films, that might sound silly, but being sweaty and dirty is the most annoying feeling in the world to me.

I recommend this movie to anyone interested in Japanese cinema.

Buboven 7th April 2015 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam (Post 443283)

Me three :nod:

Prince_Vajda 7th April 2015 04:26 PM

The Hills Have Eyes 2 (2007) BOMB
A piece of good news: this is neither a remake of Craven’s 1985 second desert film nor a real sequel to the poor 2006 film. No matter how hard I try, this is the only positive thing I can say about this abysmal flick. Implausible characters performing ridiculous acts in the middle of the desert – apart from the mutants’ obviously strong need to reproduce, the story is non-existent. Many really disgusting scenes, stupid lines, and unsympathetic characters: watching this film was an extremely disappointing experience. Although I almost couldn’t believe it, it’s a fact that this film was written by Wes Craven and his son Jonathan. Avoid at all costs.

Michael Bay’s Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003) * * *
There are people who dislike remakes simply for being remakes. Generally, I am part of that group. I especially don’t see the point in remaking a classic, as experience has shown that such an endeavour is almost always doomed to fail. This 2003 Horror film is an exception. Although the plot is almost identical to Hooper’s 1974 masterpiece, director Nispel's version makes several small changes which allow his film to stand on its own feet. A surprising alteration of the original hitchhiker scene, a pretty good showdown in an abattoir, and some new characters (especially Sheriff Hoyt and Monty Hewitt) definitely justify this remake. Although some gory scenes were added, this flick still relies more on terror than on blood. R. Lee Ermey stands out as Hoyt in a good cast that also includes a convincing final girl (J.Biel). Once more, excellent cinematography by Daniel Pearl.

Halloween H20: Twenty Years Later (1998) * * ½
After the horrible Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers, I didn’t expect much of this seventh part of the Halloween franchise. Whilst not a patch on the original and still not as good as the first two sequels (NB: Halloween III: Season of the Witch is part of the franchise), this is a big step forward, and a pretty good film. Jamie Lee Curtis is still stalked by her demented brother, and the concept of a killer that cannot die (‘Evil Personified’) still seems to work. The film itself is a bit anaemic, but because of the uncompromising ending, Curtis’ presence, and a cameo of her real-life mother Janet Leigh it is worth watching all the same.

Halloween: Resurrection (2002) * * *
Considered by many to be the worst part of the series, I was pleasently surprised by this final film of the original franchise. This film, shot by Halloween II director Rick Rosenthal, adapts to a new generation of film buffs and includes modern phenomena like the World Wide Web and reality television with ease. Busta Rhymes and Bianca Kajlich shine in their roles as likeable wannabe producer Freddie Harris and shy college chick Sara Moyer. Quite a few clever scenes, and above-average direction. Also includes a nice cameo of Jamie Lee Curtis. Recommended.

I Spit On Your Grave (1978) * * *
Roger Ebert obviously hated this rape and revenge flick, the pervert 1980 audience he watched the film with may have loved it – I don’t care. All I know is that most people read lots of things into Meir Zarchi’s brutal little film. When I first saw ISOYG a few years ago, I was as open-minded as possible. I only knew that it had been banned or heavily cut in many countries, and that some called it a cult classic. Back then, I found the film distressing and impressive at the same time. The lack of a score, the low-key mise-en-scène with little dialogue, the sheer violence of both the rape and the revenge part - it sometimes felt like watching a documentary or even real footage. Having watched this film for the second time, I can only say that the feelings were exactly the same. “As it was, at the film's end I walked out of the theater quickly, feeling unclean, ashamed and depressed.” Yes, Ebert is right. This is not really a film to enjoy as it only evokes negative emotions like hate, disgust, and anger. There is, however, no room for indifference. There aren’t many films that really get to me and make me feel uncomfortable – this is one of them. Recommended.

tele1962 7th April 2015 05:59 PM

Blood And Black Lace.

Been reading just how good this looks from Arrow, nothing does it justice.......it's bloody stunning. The film is a joy to behold and the list of extras goes on and on.

trebor8273 7th April 2015 07:56 PM

The whip and the body

Great chilling and atmopsheric gothic horror from Bava. Only downside the dumbing of Lees voice will have to watch the extras to find out why this was done and the poor remastering done by odeon, had a couple of other odeon blu Rays and the picture quality of those is just as dispointing. 8/10

Watching blood and black lace and the picture quality is amazing words can't do it justice. Bravo arrow . This a film everyone needs in their collection those without a blu Ray player need to rush out and buy one just for this, it is that good

Buboven 7th April 2015 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tele1962 (Post 443306)
Blood And Black Lace.

Been reading just how good this looks from Arrow, nothing does it justice.......it's bloody stunning. The film is a joy to behold and the list of extras goes on and on.

Watched this today aswell. As with The Girl Who Knew Too Much Arrow's Blu-Ray really has changed my impression of the film so positively.

J Harker 7th April 2015 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam (Post 443283)

Agreed. While i don't dislike Wes Cravens film it just didn't deliver the goods for me.

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th April 2015 11:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Unearthly Stranger (1963)

Things begin to go wrong for scientist John Neville when his beautiful but otherworldly wife becomes of interest to his superiors in the government, meaning both he and his wife are in great danger.

Definitely of it's time and possibly too talky for a modern audience, Unearthly Stranger is quietly compelling viewing. The film is intriguing and thought provoking and nicely atmospheric thanks to it's stark black and white photography. The cast headed by Neville also includes Jean Marsh and Warren Mitchell and the lovely Gabriella Licudi as Neville's wife.

Long unseen, Unearthly Stranger is recommended for those into sci-fi or with an appreciation of British films.

Nordicdusk 7th April 2015 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 443383)

Things begin to go wrong for scientist John Neville when his beautiful but otherworldly wife becomes of interest to his superiors in the government, meaning both he and his wife are in great danger.

Definitely of it's time and possibly too talky for a modern audience, Unearthly Stranger is quietly compelling viewing. The film is intriguing and thought provoking and nicely atmospheric thanks to it's stark black and white photography. The cast headed by Neville also includes Jean Marsh and Warren Mitchell and the lovely Gabriella Licudi as Neville's wife.

Long unseen, Unearthly Stranger is recommended for those into sci-fi or with an appreciation of British films.

I was thinking about picking this up a few weeks back I think I will be now thanks for the review.

wonderlust 8th April 2015 01:39 AM

The Doctor and the Devils, 1985. 7/10

http://www.technologytell.com/entert...ctordevil1.jpg

Up the alley and down the street Fallon and Broom sell bones and meat. Fallon's a butcher and Broom's a thief. And Rock's the boy that buys the beef.. : )

Mumsy, Nanny, Sonny & Girly, 1970. 9/10

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_084M2EdxTM...+Paperback.jpg

The Psychopath, 1966. 7/10

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/78_1e40g_bk/hqdefault.jpg

keirarts 8th April 2015 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 443335)
The whip and the body

Great chilling and atmopsheric gothic horror from Bava. Only downside the dumbing of Lees voice will have to watch the extras to find out why this was done and the poor remastering done by odeon, had a couple of other odeon blu Rays and the picture quality of those is just as dispointing. 8/10

Watching blood and black lace and the picture quality is amazing words can't do it justice. Bravo arrow . This a film everyone needs in their collection those without a blu Ray player need to rush out and buy one just for this, it is that good

Got to disagree somewhat with your views on odeons discs. For me they look excellent, Witchfinder General, Black torment, Curse of the crimson alter, island of terror, blood on satans claw, Blood beast terror ect all look excellent. As for Whip and the body, well thats never looked great. I also have the kino disc as well and it seems to be something to do with the source materials as even my old DVD releases don't look amazing. Certainly I doubt this is Odeons fault.

Prince_Vajda 8th April 2015 09:03 AM

I own two Odeon Blu-rays (Witchfinder General, and Blood On Satan's Claw), and I think both look great.

Demoncrat 8th April 2015 01:08 PM

Watched Frankenstein (1931) at mates on blu.
The word stunning doth not do it justice. Crisp and deep and even even. Ahem. Came home, put on my now crappy Universal UK dvd....how faded it looks now etc.

Reco-fricking-mmended!!! :)

Demoncrat 8th April 2015 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 443383)

Seconded!

Crimson Blade 8th April 2015 02:10 PM

I've never had any issues with Odeon titles whatsoever, apart from The Whip And The Body. Probably one of the darkest looking blurays i own, and with a horrible blue, green tint as well. Shame, as it's a great film apart from Lee's dubbing.
Odeon did say that there was not a lot they could do with the source material.

And i recently watched The Devil's Rain on the Horror channel. Very disappointed to be honest, and nowhere near as good as i remembered.
The all star cast, with Ernest Borgnine, who occasionally turns into a horned goat like creature,:D, can't save this turkey.

The 70's did however, produce some great satanic horrors, with Blood on Satan's Claw and Race With The Devil being two of my favourites.

Buboven 8th April 2015 02:28 PM

Porco Rosso (1992)

My fav Ghibli film so far!

10/10

Handyman Joe 8th April 2015 05:35 PM

Survival of the Dead - George, George, George, how could you fall so low? This movie isn't quite as bad as Argento's Dracula but that's not even damning with faint praise. Where do you start? - how about no atmosphere or context? For a zombie movie to work you need to be whipped (or lulled) into a state of dread from the get-go, you must believe the impossible has happened - George Romero, more than anyone, knows this - think of the opening scenes of NOTLD or Day - unparalleled- here however we are plunged straight into a who gives a shit conflict between two Oirish clans - the walking dead a lousy CGI aside (those heads on spikes - oh man!). Ok, a poor opening, still plenty time, will this viewer get his Pound(land)s worth? No. Worthless scenes proliferate - clunky humour (a fisherman catches a zombie arf arf, DOA action scenes featuring a crumb bum of a hard man, a zombie rides a horse - ah, you know what, I can't go on - George, either make that personal indie dream project or retire gracefully - it's getting beyond embarrassing, even Jonathon Ross wouldn't accept a zombie cameo these days. Took no pleasure from this review, don't even recommend it, I hate it when heroes go sour, I've only Lynch and Cronenberg (albeit in a different groove) left from my teenage years.

Frankie Teardrop 8th April 2015 06:05 PM

CLOWN – A guy finds a clown costume in a dusty attic. It's his lucky day, because the entertainer hired for his kid's party hasn't turned up. He starts to realise that he might have a problem when he can't actually take the clown suit off. Then he turns into a flesh eating demon. 'Clown' is actually pretty good. Its ludicrous premise is treated seriously, and, aside from a few blackly comic moments, a kind of dour tone prevails. Its heart is set on an enormously bleak theme – child murder. The temptation might be to lessen the impact by goofing around, but 'Clown', whilst rarely all that explicit, doesn't flinch. This is a movie that lets you know that, deep down, it's a pretty mean spirited beast (like most clowns, I imagine). There are some problems. It gets a bit ponderous. It can't quite sustain itself. Once we know where we're going, we're simply taken there. That's OK, 'Clown' still has plenty going for it, although in some ways it doesn't do all that much besides replay its prototype, which is surely Cronenberg's 'The Fly', another film which charts the disintegration of a relationship through the lens of punishing physical transformation. For all its flaws, I recommend that you take a look.

CURSE OF THE CROWS – Opens in a mysterious prison, where some pretty vicious dudes have been locked up. No-one seems to know how they got there, or even where they are. A woman who wears a cloak of raven's feathers appears, and seems to start to play head games with the scummy internees. Where is it all going? I found 'Curse Of The Crows' pretty intriguing at first – the strange set up, the multitude of nasty characters, the low-rent video look (though this might be down to a not so good transfer?)... as time wore on I felt its grip on me ease a bit, and my mind started to wander and I went outside for a cig. When I got back, something happened. 'Curse Of The Crows' went from being baffling and a bit nihilistic to a full blown cod-metaphysical fever dream, bursting with oddness and often teetering on the verge of being not very comprehensible. Characters die, are reanimated, twin up with their externalised demonic souls via yucky umbilical cords. A dense guy digs out eyes with spoons. It all gets a bit mind bending, in a rather good way. Or maybe in a bad way, if you're not keen on this kind of fragmentation. Even if you're not, you won't be able to say you can see what's coming around the corner, which isn't the case with, say, 'Clown'. Some surprisingly good performances – Debbie Rochon is great as a murderess in a scarlet shawl. If you like microbudget weirdness and can tolerate nonsense, 'Curse Of The Crows' might float your boat.

SHACKLED – A lonely guy who works in a bar dreams of a killer in a bunny costume. It's said that a killer is stalking the locale – maybe that's got something to do with the bunny costume. A noirish hooker turns up – also a character from barman's dreams. Strange events occur. Barman gets increasingly paranoid. 'Shackled' is an Indonesian thriller with a tinge of horror and some slightly surreal edges. The blurb goes on about D Lynch comparisons – I can sort of see it, but 'Shackled', although baffling in places, does not exude that kind of ineffable atmosphere. Its weirdness is a bit laboured, a bit strained, and... just not all that weird. It also suffers from a saggy mid-section which shifts the tone and sets up the twisty finale. Some of this works, but there's an element of info-dump about it all. However. 'Shackled' might not be all it wants to be, but there are plenty of positives at work – it looks aesthetically impressive, the first half is diverting and overall the film is pretty entertaining. There were some aspects which subjectively appealed, although I can imagine many others would be indifferent – like, the bunny's mouth, a sinister black crevice. It really creeped me out. I guess bunny costumes do it for me in general, as well. Anyway, far from perfect as it is, 'Shackled' is probably worth checking out if you're into good looking thrillers in need of a reality check.

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th April 2015 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 443472)

CURSE OF THE CROWS – Opens in a mysterious prison, where some pretty vicious dudes have been locked up. No-one seems to know how they got there, or even where they are. A woman who wears a cloak of raven's feathers appears, and seems to start to play head games with the scummy internees. Where is it all going? I found 'Curse Of The Crows' pretty intriguing at first – the strange set up, the multitude of nasty characters, the low-rent video look (though this might be down to a not so good transfer?)... as time wore on I felt its grip on me ease a bit, and my mind started to wander and I went outside for a cig. When I got back, something happened. 'Curse Of The Crows' went from being baffling and a bit nihilistic to a full blown cod-metaphysical fever dream, bursting with oddness and often teetering on the verge of being not very comprehensible. Characters die, are reanimated, twin up with their externalised demonic souls via yucky umbilical cords. A dense guy digs out eyes with spoons. It all gets a bit mind bending, in a rather good way. Or maybe in a bad way, if you're not keen on this kind of fragmentation. Even if you're not, you won't be able to say you can see what's coming around the corner, which isn't the case with, say, 'Clown'. Some surprisingly good performances – Debbie Rochon is great as a murderess in a scarlet shawl. If you like microbudget weirdness and can tolerate nonsense, 'Curse Of The Crows' might float your boat.

I too liked this.

I was going to review it but the only words that came out of my brain were 'Tiffany. Shepis. PVC. Fetish.'

Damn!! Cold shower time again. :doh:

There's a decent making of on the disc if you haven't checked it out Frankie.

Make Them Die Slowly 8th April 2015 09:20 PM

MILIUS.

Utterly fantastic documentary on cinema's very own Zen Anarchist, John Milius. This charts Milius' rise through the ranks of screenwriters to be the highest paid scriptwriter of his day to his career as director and how is own self created persona eventually became his undoing. Get yourself a big cigar,a gun or two and a few drinks and give this a spin. Highly recommended.

JoshuaKaitlyn 9th April 2015 06:29 PM

From 1964: part 2

A Fistful of Dollars - First in ' The man with no name' spaghetti westerns, a classic movie with a classic score.

The Evil of Frankenstein - None too sure on this one. Should have stuck with the established storyline.

Carry on Spying - Bab Winsors first carry on and a James Bond Spoof. "o o ooher"

The Fall of the Roman Empire - Another Sam Bronston epic with an all star cast.

Ghidorah - The Three-Headed Monster - More men in rubber monster suits trashing airfix kits!

Carry on Cleo - A Better film than the last couple of entries, with some great lines and gags.

A Hard Days Night - The Beatles first movie, better than most films of this sort.

Goldfinger - As iconic as any Bond movie can be. From Basseys opening score, memorable villian and henchman to Q's lab and not forgetting the Aston Martin.

Zulu - One of my all time favourite movies! The 'fire by rank' scene alone is worth the price of the movie. For this I cranked up the sound bar....if thousands of Zulus are coming at me I want to hear them....so did the neighbours probably. Oh and what a score!

Kissin' Cousins - Presley plays a dual role here, just goes to prove that two Elvis' dont make a better movie even if it does have an unintention boob flash!

Viva Las Vegas - Finishing of 1964 with another Elvis movie, this one also starring Ann Margaret who is very easy on the eye.

Nordicdusk 9th April 2015 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 443505)
MILIUS.

Utterly fantastic documentary on cinema's very own Zen Anarchist, John Milius. This charts Milius' rise through the ranks of screenwriters to be the highest paid scriptwriter of his day to his career as director and how is own self created persona eventually became his undoing. Get yourself a big cigar,a gun or two and a few drinks and give this a spin. Highly recommended.

Just finished watching this you are spot on it is a fantastic doc. What do you want to do the movie ? Gold woman and guns :lol:

gag 10th April 2015 12:35 AM

Watched the loft last night i enjoyed it.
Didnt realise it was a remake but hasnt just been made before once but twice
Belguim 2008
Netherlands 2010
American last year

Has anyone seen the previous ones and are they any good.

keirarts 10th April 2015 10:38 PM

Digging up the marrow

Film-maker Adam Green plays Film-maker Adam Green who discovers a story amongst his fan mail from an apparent crank played by Ray Wise. The story tells of a race of monsters living beneath the ground in a place called the marrow and Wises character has dedicated his life to studying it. While Green dismisses it as first he decides to break out the camera crew and follow this apparrant nutter about only to get alarmed when he discovers that the story might be true.
This could have been a terrible vanity piece on the part of Green with a 'found footage' take on nightbreed from the humans perspective. Thankfully he makes it work however thanks to some great creature effects, lots of cameos from numerous genre stars and of course Ray Wise who is always worth watching. The film actually even manages to creep me out in places and is certainly worth catching.

Mondo cannibal

Bruno mattei, Italy's biggest schlockmeister plagiarises the shit out of Cannibal Holocaust enough to make it repellent but not enough to actually steal any of the intelligence or careful structuring. Its fortunate he stole parts of the dialogue at least as his own stuff here is unintelligible at best and actually unintentionally comedic. Factor in one English voice actor who sounds suspiciously like Matt berry and its hard to take anything seriously.
The film follows a film crew out in the middle of the jungle riling up the cannibals with some rape and murder and.... actually I'm not going to bother summing up the plot as if you've seen Cannibal Holocaust you will know how this piece of shit turns out.
that said if you enjoy inept pieces of z-grade trash with lots of sex and violence intervisions release might still be worth checking out. Just don't expect anything tasteful or well made. To my shame I enjoyed it.

In the land of the cannibal

Shot back to back with mondo Cannibal, this one decides to thieve stuff from predator and has a crew of mercs out in the jungle to rescue a hostage and find themselves hunted by a tribe of cannibals. Like Mondo it's sleazy trash that steals it's best moments from other films and like mondo it's a lot of fun if this sort of trash is your bag. Once again all the dialogue is effing terrible, the gore is laid on with a trowel and you will have seen it all before. Sleaze hounds should check it out.

Twin Peaks fire walk with me

A film that will always be in my top five David Lynch films, Fire walk with me was poorly recieved by critics at the time but has undergone a reappraisal on home video where people have realised what a bloody good film it is after all.
Watching it straight after a marathon of the show its easy to see why people got so upset. Essentially telling the story of the last 7 days of Laura Palmer Lynch tears out a lot of the comedic and whimsical element of the show and leaves us with just the dark heart of the show to deal with.
It starts as a weird, off kilter detective story with Chris Issak and Keifer Sutherland investigating the murder of Theresa banks before morphing into a twisted as hell domestic drama about an all American family where beneath the surface lies a web of drug addiction, incest and murder.
Sheryl lee is phenomenal as Laura Palmer and gives an insanely great performance as Laura Palmer that deserves way more recognition. Ray Wise is terrific as the disturbed Leland Palmer and Grace Zabriski is also excellent as Sarah Palmer, a mother in denial who chain smokes her way through life in a bid to avoid the terrible truth of what's happening under her own roof.
Even if you hate the show you need to check this out, its pretty much an (until recently) unsung masterpiece that's been a favourite of mine for a long while. The ending is genuinely harrowing and beautiful and it lingers with you long after the film is done.

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th April 2015 01:03 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The Terror Within (1989), The Terror Within II (1991)

Post apocalyptic world, experiments gone hay wire, mutants in the wastelands, last human survivors - you know the score.

These films are what they are...a product of their time. Direct to video Roger Corman productions practically guaranteed to make money on the backs of successful studio films hogging cinema screens throughout the 80's. Video shop customers lapping them up due to their guaranteed quota of sex, violence and monsters.

These two Terror Within films are typical Corman movies. Boasting a decent C-list cast - George Kennedy, Andrew Stevens, and R Lee Ermey to name but three, which probably got the films made as they were names to proudly boast about on your video cover, Kennedy in particular, and probably got them a decent sized budget to play with too.

In today's ultra slick movie market films such as these are caught in a time loop and really don't stand up to much scrutiny except as a time capsule of a bygone age of direct to video heaven.

Both films are entertaining, despite the obvious man in a suit monster and scenes practically half inched from Ridley Scott's Alien. There really isn't anything new here though and neither film would be worth paying a tenner for as a blu-ray, however if like me you fancy giving them a go on the double bill dvd which you can pick up and still get change from two quid - a method and format which seems more fitting for their DTV origins, then i certainly recommend them

Buboven 11th April 2015 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 443870)

Post apocalyptic world, experiments gone hay wire, mutants in the wastelands, last human survivors - you know the score.

These films are what they are...a product of their time. Direct to video Roger Corman productions practically guaranteed to make money on the backs of successful studio films hogging cinema screens throughout the 80's. Video shop customers lapping them up due to their guaranteed quota of sex, violence and monsters.

These two Terror Within films are typical Corman movies. Boasting a decent C-list cast - George Kennedy, Andrew Stevens, and R Lee Ermey to name but three, which probably got the films made as they were names to proudly boast about on your video cover, Kennedy in particular, and probably got them a decent sized budget to play with too.

In today's ultra slick movie market films such as these are caught in a time loop and really don't stand up to much scrutiny except as a time capsule of a bygone age of direct to video heaven.

Both films are entertaining, despite the obvious man in a suit monster and scenes practically half inched from Ridley Scott's Alien. There really isn't anything new here though and neither film would be worth paying a tenner for as a blu-ray, however if like me you fancy giving them a go on the double bill dvd which you can pick up and still get change from two quid - a method and format which seems more fitting for their DTV origins, then i certainly recommend them

Luckily I am in the perfect mood for such a film tonight, thx for posting about it.

keirarts 11th April 2015 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 443870)

Uk DVD is the best release by virtue of having part 2. It's not included in the shout factory ~US release. Totally agree, great fun

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th April 2015 10:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Equalizer (2014)

Disappointing remake of the 80's tv series starring Denzel Washington.

Although it sort of hits the mark it also feels disjointed and at times poorly edited. The climactic shoot out in the DIY store was a real let down as it was all shrouded in darkness and featured a black clad Washington fighting it out with other dudes dressed all in black.

Parts of the film were dripping with cool and Denzel played the part of Robert McCall with a burning intensity at times.

Oh and it definitely loses points for not having this as the theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB1NiNKwueE