Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 3rd May 2015 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 447958)
It's a mad one, in some ways. Ludicrously, I got excited about seeing 'Bloodshack' on the back of 'Skid Row....'. You can imagine how that turned out.

Yes... unfortunately I've already subjected myself to the joys of Blood Shack.

Frankie Teardrop 3rd May 2015 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 447962)
Yes... unfortunately I've already subjected myself to the joys of Blood Shack.

You too? It fades with time.

the commander 3rd May 2015 10:22 PM

anyone have recomendations for good cult scifi?

:jedi:

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd May 2015 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the commander (Post 447973)

You could try The Black Hole, The Green Slime, Starcrash, Battle Beyond the Stars, Screamers, Event Horizon, Starman.

It's difficult to recommend without a little more knowledge of your interests or narrowing the genre down a little bit.

the commander 3rd May 2015 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 447974)
You could try The Black Hole, The Green Slime, Starcrash, Battle Beyond the Stars, Screamers, Event Horizon, Starman.

It's difficult to recommend without a little more knowledge of your interests or narrowing the genre down a little bit.

i should probably have specified i ment actually good.
and up untill this point ive mostly been getting cult films off of the list on wiki so ill admit my knoledge is pretty limited. tbf though i found both kite and tears of the black tiger that way as well as dredd all of which are really ****ing pretty looking films.something unique with good visuals and/or storytelling.

the commander 3rd May 2015 10:41 PM

im very intested in seeing both beyond the black rainbow and gattica if thats at all helpfull.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd May 2015 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the commander (Post 447981)
im very intested in seeing both beyond the black rainbow and gattica if thats at all helpfull.

Gattaca is very good.

Solaris, the original version, perhaps?

Soylent Green, Fahrenheit 451.

Oh and Starcrash is good, it's a lot of fun. :tongue1:

the commander 3rd May 2015 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 447974)

starman actually looks worth checking out.

the commander 3rd May 2015 10:58 PM

a few films came up for screamers. which year was it?

Frankie Teardrop 3rd May 2015 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the commander (Post 447981)

'Beyond The Black Rainbow' is amazing.

Make Them Die Slowly 3rd May 2015 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 448005)

So is Blood Shack, you are all wrong!

Frankie Teardrop 3rd May 2015 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 448007)
So is Blood Shack, you are all wrong!

If you can get your head round 'Blood Shack', then you probably don't have to worry about anything in life. Ever. I've tried it, but I just can't get there.

Make Them Die Slowly 3rd May 2015 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 448009)
If you can get your head round 'Blood Shack', then you probably don't have to worry about anything in life. Ever. I've tried it, but I just can't get there.

If I recall correctly, I watched most of the films in Nightmare USA whilst liberally abusing the massive amounts of Tramadol I had been prescribed for kidney stones. The book and films in it give me a warm fuzzy glow just thinking about them.

the commander 3rd May 2015 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 448010)
If I recall correctly, I watched most of the films in Nightmare USA whilst liberally abusing the massive amounts of Tramadol I had been prescribed for kidney stones. The book and films in it give me a warm fuzzy glow just thinking about them.

kek
you guys are the best.

the commander 3rd May 2015 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 448005)

is it just me or does this guy from black hole with the entirely black face helmet thing look like the guy with the red face from beyond the black rainbow?
(thanks for all the suggestions you guys are giving me.they all look really interesting.)

Buboven 3rd May 2015 11:59 PM

Sunset Boulevard (1950)

9/10

:woot:!!!!!

the commander 4th May 2015 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buboven (Post 448013)
Sunset Boulevard (1950)

9/10

:woot:!!!!!

thats not scif budoven.......

Nordicdusk 4th May 2015 12:10 AM

Watched the following today too many to go to deep into each one.

Drive In Massacre
Horny couples get picked of while not watching the feature presentation while at the local drive in. The manager of the drive in is a complete asshole and treats his staff like shit all the time. Two cops local cops are investigating the murders by going undercover at the drive in when one of them is sporting a lovely frock they look like the ugliest brother and sister couple I have ever seen. Some of the dialogue had me laughing my ass off my favourite was while asking a suspect about the murders they asked why was he peeping to to the cars of young couples his reply was I just wanted to beat my meat :lol:

It's slow but I liked it has bad acting strange dialogue but the skills are decent and it did keep me interested until the ending which for me was worth it. I'm sure this can be picked up for next to nothing with bad PQ thrown in :lol:

Mausoleum
A ten year old girl is traumatised by the death of her mother her only living gaurdian after her father died 3 years earlier. As an only child she inherits the family fortune but it's not just riches she inherits she also must carry with her an ancient family curse.

I love this film really wish it would get a proper release maybe a Blu Ray some day. Great practical effects the acting is solid apart from the maid and the gardener but everyone else is convincing there is also some great lighting when the possessions are in full flow the very vibrant pinks and greens look great even with such bad PQ on the DVD. Again well worth a watch if you like boobs gore and demonic possession which is everyone right :lol:

The Mutilator
A boy accidentally shoots his mother dead while cleaning his fathers study for the birthday. The father hits the bottle and waits to get his revenge on his son years later. That's not a spoiler they show the fathers face right from the start of his killing spree so there are no surprises. The son goes to his fathers beach front summer home to lock it up for the winter when his friends go missing one by one. The group consists of three couples all stereotypical you get the jock guy that can't act for shit and talks like a caveman with a broken jaw we get the prankster guy who's jokes are not funny and you just want him to die soon to get him off the screen then we get the quite reserved girlfriend who won put out. I love this film too not sure if it has if is getting a blu ray but it deserves it maybe one for 88s slasher collection there are some brilliant practical effects and nice kills watch out for one of theist over acted deaths ever in the first kill has me in tears from laughing everytime. Recommended

Bad Taste
Aliens land in a small town in New Zealand and wipe it out to turn the residents into not so fast food but one this stands in their way ......The Boys . Early Peter Jackson Sci Fi horror comedy gore fest. This film is a fun time all the way The Boys are funny a shit especially Ozzy who just wants to beat the crap out of the alien invaders and blow shit up. The gore here is fantastic and over the top plenty of exploding heads brains flying everywhere people drinking sick "ain't I the lucky one I got some chunks" limbs getting chopped off and just an all around great time. Great great fun film.

Creepshow
Split into 5 great stories each one never over stays it's welcome and the pay off in each one is great. Some fantastic lighting and use of colours in these stories I especially love the green used in the story about the meteor called The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill. Everyone knows and has seen this so I don't need to add anything else other than if you have not seen this don't waste anymore time watch it.

A Sunday well spent it's a bank holiday here tomorrow so I will be having an other marathon while I'm off work.

wonderlust 4th May 2015 02:34 AM

In The House of Flies, 2012. 7/10

https://anythinghorror.files.wordpre...es-poster2.jpg

This was a very slow burn; psychological horror. Awesome cinematography even though basically shot in a small cellar. The two leads did well and of coarse so did Henry Rollins, he's not on screen but his sinister voice through a telephone line gave me chills.

Blood Slaughter Massacre, 2013. 8/10

http://i.imgur.com/07FlV7r.jpg

Had to use this poster cause it's allbaddass. Loved this! I felt all comfy cozy watching, reminded me of old slasher films, you have the babysitter, the shower scene, a party were everyone is getting high/drunk. The alcoholic Detective and well, you understand. : )

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 4th May 2015 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the commander (Post 447973)

I don't know if either of these would be classed as 'cult', but Silent Running is an all-time great, and Under the Skin is one of the best from recent years, along with Ex Machina, Transcendence and Interstellar.

J Harker 4th May 2015 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the commander (Post 447992)
a few films came up for screamers. which year was it?

I'm not sure what the question was to begin with but I'm guessing the suggested Screamers is the Peter Weller movie from 1995. Good film.

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th May 2015 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 448036)
I'm not sure what the question was to begin with but I'm guessing the suggested Screamers is the Peter Weller movie from 1995. Good film.

That's the one. :nod:

Mojo 4th May 2015 01:13 PM

THE COMEBACK
Arguably regarded as one of Pete Walker's lesser fims, this is still an enjoyable exercise in whodunnit, with splashes of gore. Jack Jones gives a surprisingly decent performance here ( even if his songs are shit ) but, needless to say, it's Sheila Keith who steals the show. It was pure genius of Walker to cast her in these kind of roles, and her asides and muttered comments are wonderful.
This one has always been a bit ropey looking ( even on dvd ) so seeing this on Redemption's blu ray is a revelation.

THE OFFENCE
Sidney Lumet's controversial drama makes its way onto blu ray via Eureka's terrific looking edition. Sean Connery plays an embittered sergeant whose chaotic home life plays alongside his investigation into a series of assaults on young girls. Forget Bond ( and believe me I often do ) this surely has to be Connery's best performance on screen, in one of the standout films of the 70s.

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th May 2015 02:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Vendetta (2013)

A former Special Forces interrogator returns home to find his parents brutally murdered by a street gang, and the police ineffectual. In a race against time he has to hunt down those responsible whilst evading capture from his former unit.

Another excellent Jonathan Sothcott production utilizing great London location work. Danny Dyer plays his role to perfection and is supported by an impressive line up - Vincent Regan, Bruce Payne, Roxanne Mckee with key cameo's from the ever reliable Tony Denham and former Dynasty star Emma Samms.

The film is painfully brutal at times and has you rooting for Dyer to wreak his revenge from the off. The film is slickly edited and directed by Stephen Reynolds culminating in an excellent thriller in the Death Wish mould.

Recommended.

Originally posted in the Soppy Bollocks thread.

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th May 2015 03:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hellish Flesh (1977)

More from the frightful fingernails of Jose Marins. In Hellish Flesh Marins plays a doctor whose wife is having an affair with his best friend. Feeling unloved and ignored by her hubby she concocts a plan with her lover to kill the good scientist so she can inherit all his money. Unfortunately the plan fails and the doctor unbeknown to them is still alive following a horrific acid attack. The deceitful couple continue with their lives happily frittering away the inheritance. Meanwhile the doctor is recovering with revenge in mind.

I approached Hellish Flesh with a little trepidation following the hippy trip to the nether reaches of boredom that was the previous years The Strange Hostel of Naked Pleasures. Fortunately Hellish Flesh is something of a return to form. Gone are the colourful halucinatory aspects, replaced with good old fashioned horror, gore and sex. Marins playing something of a masked phantom character who is at times quite unnerving. Probably the most straightforward audience friendly film from Marins so far. Look out for the delightful twist in the final reel.

Recommended

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 4th May 2015 06:27 PM

Despite the fact that The House that Cried Murder (AKA: No Way Out / The Bride) feels a little like an overlong horror anthology segment, it still managed to entertain in certain respects and scrape itself more than an average rating - largely thanks to the ending, which certainly added a little oddness to what at first seemed to be a very 'by the numbers' affair.

Our neurotic bride Barbara is humiliated on her wedding day by new husband David after she finds him hooking up with his old flame Ellen during the after-party proceedings. After attacking him with a pair of scissors and fleeing the scene distraught and angry we flick forward in time to where Arthur has hooked up with Ellen and Barbara is missing in action.

The couple then start to receive weird phone calls and gifts reminding them of the fateful wedding day and proof that Barbara has returned and seems to be out for her revenge. As the happenings around their home get weirder, David confronts Barbara's father as to her whereabouts and to try and distinguish what is going on.

Clocking in at just over an hour, there is little to slow the pace of the film down here, and whilst the story seems a little too familiar, as mentioned above the ending isn't quite what you'd expect and is certainly worth sticking around for.

Originally posted here: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/448068-post396.html

trebor8273 4th May 2015 07:36 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Attachment 163229

A nature runs amok film this time with ants and not the radioactive giant ones, after an astronomical event ants intelligence has increased to rival that of man and it's not long before they see to have set there sites to wipe out mankind. Very surreal and eerie and well worth a look for sci fi and nature runs amok fans 8/10

Attachment 163230

A very well acted and disturbing religious horror, there is no devil or demon this time but God himself who has given up on man and started the end of days. A Young mother (Demi Moore )to be is caught up in the middle of this and might just be able to give mankind a second chance. Very well acted from all the cast which includes Michael Bien as her husband and Jürgen Prochnow as Jesus who has been sent by God not as the lamb of god this time but as the lion of God who's job is to usher in the end of days and destroy mankind,. 9.5/10

Attachment 163231

A great late 80s horror comedy. A waxworks suddenly appears one day in a suburban neighbourhood of all places of group of high school students are invited to visit,big mistake as we soon learn the owner needs 8 souls to unleash the most evil people in history upon the world. Lots of references to other horror movies etc and some decent special effects and a good mixture of comedy and horror. 8/10

Attachment 163232

Unlike waxwork this works neither as a horror or a comedy fails miserably on both counts. 4/10

Attachment 163233

Mini series based on a story by dean koontz about a young woman who while at friends family witness a serial killer, murder the family and take her friend prisoner. events from her past and the present lead her to try and rescue her friend from the killer, fantastically played by John C. McGinley. Only watched the first part but looking forward to watching the final episode tomorrow

Might watch Clive barkers underworld is it as bad as the reviews suggest?

J Harker 4th May 2015 09:04 PM

American Ninja!!!! First time I've watched this film properly end to end.
Feckin brilliant!!!
I love the balance (whether intentional or not) between serious actioner and silly nonsense.
88 films blu is top notch too. Watching Ninja Gaijin now. Is it me or does Dudikof look like a Fraggle now?
Oh and Judie Aronson is now 50. And looks amazing.

Buboven 4th May 2015 10:03 PM

Sleepaway Camp 2 (1988)

2/10. :pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound:

:thankingyou:

Stephen@Cult Labs 4th May 2015 10:04 PM

She does indeed! I'm interested in your thoughts on American Ninja 2 when you watch it. I think it's a hell of a lot better than part 1, but seeing comments recently on other forums, some disagree.

Stephen@Cult Labs 4th May 2015 10:07 PM

Oh, and your question about Dudikoff. His top lip is looking like Kiefer Sutherlands. Both of theirs seem to be drooping the older they get.

J Harker 4th May 2015 10:51 PM

She's 10 years older and looks 20 years younger!!

Stephen@Cult Labs 4th May 2015 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 448132)
She's 10 years older and looks 20 years younger!!

Isn't she 30 years older???

J Harker 4th May 2015 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 448134)
Isn't she 30 years older???

Sorry wrong way around. He's 60 she's 50. But she still looks 20 years younger than him.

TJ Doc 5th May 2015 04:47 PM

http://images2.static-bluray.com/mov...7916_large.jpg

Evil Craig T. Nelson really is the best kind of Craig T. Nelson.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 5th May 2015 08:09 PM

Arrow have done a sterling job of THE LONG GOOD FRIDAY.

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th May 2015 10:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Surf Nazis Must Die (1987)

Oh dear! The only bit of enjoyment i got out of Surf Nazis was reading the band names grafitied on the walls - Sabbath, Van Halen, Rush - and noticing a boom mic come into view at the 1 hr 7 min mark.

It's a travesty of a film. Lifeless, plotless, deadly dull with countless scenes of stock footage of surfing, and unforgivable non-existent characterization. It's not even fun. I'm sure some will love this film but it did absolutely nothing for me.

Surf Nazis Must Die? Surf Nazis have died...don't bother exhuming them.

Buboven 5th May 2015 11:45 PM

Unfriended (2015)

Comes relatively close to being the Nightmare On Elm Street for the Millennial Generation.

Its effectiveness really depends on your age and tech saviness.

7/10, very close to a 8/10.

fuzzymctiger 6th May 2015 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 448295)
Surf Nazis Must Die (1987)

Oh dear! The only bit of enjoyment i got out of Surf Nazis was reading the band names grafitied on the walls - Sabbath, Van Halen, Rush - and noticing a boom mic come into view at the 1 hr 7 min mark.

It's a travesty of a film. Lifeless, plotless, deadly dull with countless scenes of stock footage of surfing, and unforgivable non-existent characterization. It's not even fun. I'm sure some will love this film but it did absolutely nothing for me.

Surf Nazis Must Die? Surf Nazis have died...don't bother exhuming them.

Damn, I loved this movie a stupid amount.

Good old silly fun with some hilarious concepts and action. I loved all the different gangs, the surf scenes, the revenge plot.

the commander 6th May 2015 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 448035)
I don't know if either of these would be classed as 'cult', but Silent Running is an all-time great, and Under the Skin is one of the best from recent years, along with Ex Machina, Transcendence and Interstellar.

i saw silent running.
not sure it was the best film ever or even that i will ever see it again but it was certianly unique. i would DEFINATLY say silent running is cult. i dont think ive ever heard of silent running outside of these fourms. under the skin isnt really cult but id say that it was an amazing film. mostly im just looking for something unique.id say id go for something closser to silent running then any of the other things you mentioned.