Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

DeadAlive 3rd February 2010 04:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Chanbara Beauty - This should have been great with a story involving sexy young Japanese women with swords fighting zombies. Sadly it wasn't. Bit of a snoozefest in fact. :(

Feast - Creature feature with a high gore threshold and a nice line in black humour. Shame most of the action is so undercranked it just looks shakey and annoying rather than adding to the tension.

Pigasus 3rd February 2010 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadAlive (Post 61339)
Feast - Creature feature with a high gore threshold and a nice line in black humour.

FEAST is great... and the fine sequels (Sloppy Seconds and Happy Finish) mean that trilogy adds up to some crazily surreal fun.
:biggrin::cool:

antmumford 3rd February 2010 07:50 PM

The Wrestler - I thought this film was great, Mickey Rourke was very real and believable, you could tell so much personal emotions were poured into his character. I've loved all of Aronofsky's work and this was no exception, so different for him but still brilliant. Touching, depressing yet charming all in one. Films as raw as this sometimes don't quite cut it but this one was memorable and unique. Check it out.

Down in the Valley - This starts as a romance but soon descends into dark places. Edward Norton perfects the "I'm so charming that it's creepy" bloke in this, he spends the entire film so calm and collective that it actually put's you on edge. He's so unpredictable. All in all very well made and a great turn from all the cast. Worth watching indeed.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 3rd February 2010 08:29 PM

I watched Nick Love's 'remake' of Alan Clarke's classic THE FIRM as well last night.

New face,Paul Anderson,in the BEX role,is I'm afraid,no Gary Oldman,who made,(And always does) a terrifying nutter.
Lifting lines of dialogue straight from the original it's an entertaining enough no-brainer if you like this sort of thing.
However,when you recall Oldman and Phillip Davis's performances in the original,the new players sort of fall flat on their faces.

Not as violent or disturbing as Clarke's classic,I had higher hopes for this....:(

vincenzo 4th February 2010 02:25 PM

Deep Throat (full uncut version)

The film that set the ball (and many other balls) rolling. Filmwise it's exactly what you expect it to be, only with some surprisingly laugh-out-loud dialogue and scenes. A far cry from the genuinely disturbing and unpleasant Behind The Green Door.

"What's a nice joint like you doing in a girl like this?" :lol:

pedromonkey 4th February 2010 02:46 PM

just watched Brian De Palmer's Phantom Of the Paradise, and thoroughly enjoyed it, i hate Rocky Horror Show, and think this one's better, very entertaining and some fantastic music.

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 4th February 2010 02:52 PM

Managed to see Daybreakers with my Horror Society at uni and really enjoyed it. A very inventive and innovative take on the vampire genre, full of social commentary (but subtly done, unlike Romero's latest zombie films IMO). Don't let the 15 certificate fool you either - there's plenty of gore and decapitated heads.

I'll give it a 4/5

vincenzo 4th February 2010 02:59 PM

I much prefer Phantom too. Rocky Horror is an incredibly overrated film in my opinion.

Schramm 4th February 2010 04:08 PM

Recently finished The Bronx Warriors which were all excellent.

Although not movies, I've been watching Banned In America which is pretty much just snippets of other Mondo movies pasted together for a 45 minute watch.
Nice to finally see the Budd Dwyer footage uninterrupted.

42ndStreetFreak 4th February 2010 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 61474)
Deep Throat (full uncut version)

The film that set the ball (and many other balls) rolling. Filmwise it's exactly what you expect it to be, only with some surprisingly laugh-out-loud dialogue and scenes. A far cry from the genuinely disturbing and unpleasant Behind The Green Door.

Nice. We all know about it of course and I've seen clips, but I have a dvd-r dupe of "Deep Throat" and have yet to watch it fully.
But I agree on the excellent "Behind the Green Door". It's dark and genuinely erotic...crazed out cum shot and all.

I still have "Debbie does Dallas" and "The Devil in Miss Jones" to watch fully as well.

Schramm 4th February 2010 07:48 PM

I didn't enjoy Behined The Green Door, very disappointing.
I did like Hot Summer In The City, Waterpower and Sex Wish is always an excellent watch.

The Texas Dildo Masquerade is actually pretty good! Actually stays true to the original story!

vincenzo 4th February 2010 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak (Post 61544)
Nice. We all know about it of course and I've seen clips, but I have a dvd-r dupe of "Deep Throat" and have yet to watch it fully.
But I agree on the excellent "Behind the Green Door". It's dark and genuinely erotic...crazed out cum shot and all.

I still have "Debbie does Dallas" and "The Devil in Miss Jones" to watch fully as well.

You'll enjoy Deep Throat. The contemporary '70's-ness' of the movie only adds to the charm and for a graphic hardcore film it has a surprisingly 'fun' feel to it. I didn't like Devil In Miss Jones much but Debbie is also a fun film.

The slow motion trapeze 'money shot' in Green Door was absolutely unbelievable. :eek:

James Morton 5th February 2010 12:21 AM

'What films have you seen recently?'‏

Vincenzo
Be very surprised if VIDEODROME is released uncut, here in the UK, if it is it won't be like my excellent Criterion sp. ed.
I have got, SHIVERS, RABID, SCANNERS, THE BROOD, THE DEAD ZONE, THE FLY, A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE

Wolf 5th February 2010 02:46 AM

Yeah, I was suprised by it. Was expecting it to be terrible, but it's not.

Some of it's laughably silly, but kind of appealing as a whole.

vincenzo 5th February 2010 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 61597)
Vincenzo
Be very surprised if VIDEODROME is released uncut, here in the UK, if it is it won't be like my excellent Criterion sp. ed.

The current UK release of Videodrome is the R-rated print. The BBFC certainly wouldn't have any problems with the unrated one though it's unlikely to appear here anytime soon.

I have the Criterion release too. Essential stuff.

Stephen@Cult Labs 5th February 2010 11:29 AM

Me too,the Criterion dvd is a thing of beauty,right down to the betamax packaging.Although it would be great to see a special edition comparable to that release on these shores,the BBFC wouldn't pass the transmissions from videorome from the Criterion edition.

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 5th February 2010 11:32 AM

Videodrome is a brilliant film - one of Cronenberg's best. I watched this a few nights ago (after The Fly) with a few mates who had NEVER SEEN A CRONENBERG FILM! :faint: :faint:

Watched The Crow again last night. It's a good film, don't get me wrong, but very overrated IMO. Still, I guess the Crow is one of the most bad-ass zombies in cinema. Do I smell gasoline?

Stephen@Cult Labs 5th February 2010 11:35 AM

And the less said about the Crow sequels the better!

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 5th February 2010 11:43 AM

Yeah some of it was pretty silly. I like DeFoe's lines - they cracked me up! :laugh:

mbv 5th February 2010 11:45 AM

Watched a few movies yesterday

Dracula (Universal classic monsters) Hadn't seen it in a while and is still behind Frankenstein and the Wolfman but some great looking sets and some creepy moments

Incredible melting man Loved this, the plot outline was probably written on the back of a stamp but loved the goo/gore. The scene near the end when the two security guards confront the melting man and his doctor mate is one of the funniest things ever!

Night train to terror Had this recorded from the Unexplained channel a few weeks ago. Didn't expect much as the movies that are on that channel are usually rubbish but this was brilliant. Not Citizen Kane brilliant but Russ Meyer meets Blood feast brilliant. I'll have to track this down on dvd or maybe Shameless could get their hands on the sleazy goodness;)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 5th February 2010 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds (Post 61627)
Videodrome is a brilliant film - one of Cronenberg's best. I watched this a few nights ago (after The Fly) with a few mates who had NEVER SEEN A CRONENBERG FILM! :faint: :faint:

What did they think of it?! :biggrin:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 5th February 2010 11:51 AM

I re-watched Murder Obsession last night; I seem to be hooked on re-watching all my Raro gialli at the moment. Another fun film which puts the spin of incest (and black magic!) on the traditional giallo formula. Again, another one I think that hasn't been released by anyone else. Not the best gialli IMO, but definitely worth a look if you're a fan of the genre (or if you're a fan of Laura Gemser for that matter... :eyebrows:).

42ndStreetFreak 5th February 2010 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbv (Post 61633)
Night train to terror Had this recorded from the Unexplained channel a few weeks ago. Didn't expect much as the movies that are on that channel are usually rubbish but this was brilliant. Not Citizen Kane brilliant but Russ Meyer meets Blood feast brilliant. I'll have to track this down on dvd or maybe Shameless could get their hands on the sleazy goodness;)

I keep meaning to watch this. I have seen one of the films that was edited down and mixed with other films to make "Night Train" though.
It's called "Cataclysm" and had a great OTT pre-cert cover.
Here...
http://www.beardyfreak.com/rvcata.php

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 5th February 2010 11:56 AM

MBV, I saw Terror Train a few weeks back on that channel and it was sooooo good! If this film was released by Arrow/Shameless, I would snap it up! The DVD versions of it don't sound to great (at least when compared to Arrow/Shameless releases :laugh:)

Well, they liked The Fly, BE, even if they were wincing about the gore! Is it wrong of me to enjoy people's reactions to gore etc? It's so funny! As for Videodrome well they were completly lost, confused and all together freaked out! :pound:

vincenzo 5th February 2010 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbv (Post 61633)
Incredible melting man Loved this, the plot outline was probably written on the back of a stamp but loved the goo/gore. The scene near the end when the two security guards confront the melting man and his doctor mate is one of the funniest things ever!

Amazingly rated 'AA' for cinema (where I first saw it). I love the scene near the beginning when the whalelike nurse crashes through the glass door. :lol:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 5th February 2010 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds (Post 61640)
Well, they liked The Fly, BE, even if they were wincing about the gore! Is it wrong of me to enjoy people's reactions to gore etc? It's so funny! As for Videodrome well they were completly lost, confused and all together freaked out! :pound:

You so should have set up a web-cam to capture their reactions! :pound:

Pigasus 5th February 2010 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds (Post 61640)
..As for Videodrome well they were completly lost, confused...

Not surprised, really.
It's just one of those films that you must watch at least twice.
Note that we don't see Max take the VR-helmet off...

Gojirosan 5th February 2010 03:51 PM

Bad Ronald

This film has haunted me my whole life. I remember watching it as a child with my mother. I feel sure it was an afternoon and I was off sick from school. I was not prepared for an afternoon made-for-TV flick to be so amazing and compelling. I never knew the title of the film.

As the years went by I would dream about aspects of the film, and by my teenage I thought it was merely a dream and that no such film actually existed. When Hider In The House came out in 1989 I wondered ifI had had a premonition of a film not yet made! :lol:

Turns out it is real. I read something about it by chance on the internet maybe eightish years ago and connected it. The film was called Bad Ronald and it was no dream!

As VHS copies of it go for silly money and bootlegs are few and far between and taken from the VHS I got frustrated. I kept waiting for a release. Warner Archive Collection added it to their catalogue, but are USA only. So I downloaded it.

It's a terrible quality copy but at least I have seen it again. I was amazed how much of it I remembered from the 1970s fevered viewing! It was as good as I remembered. Possibly better - I am now of an age to appreciate it more.

This is a superb film surely contending for the title of "Best TV film". It's a miniature masterpiece. But now I want a legit, good copy! Why won't Warner Archive sell to me?

Why?

WHY?!?!?! :(

Schramm 5th February 2010 05:31 PM

Hey! I love Bad Ronald too, excellent movie!

Funnily enough I mentiond on a link here somewhere about a possible Shameless release.
Kim Newman loves it too.

DeadAlive 5th February 2010 06:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)
A mixed bag, sci fi action, Hong Kong comedy and Korean Disaster movies...

Outlander
Mr Boo Meets Pom Pom
Tidal Wave

pedromonkey 5th February 2010 06:16 PM

i really liked Outlander, Reminded me beowulf, but was better. Tidal Wave looks interesting.

DeadAlive 5th February 2010 06:25 PM

As disaster movies go I enjoyed it more than 2012.

James Morton 5th February 2010 08:49 PM

'What films have you seen recently?'‏

HIGHLANDER
It's just a brilliant film.
Yes, Christophe Lambert has a dodgy Scots accent, but he's great as the Immortal.
No way is it overrated.
Russell Mulcahy's visual style of direction makes this an excellent film.
The Queen songs are great and go well with the film's theme.
The only bad point is the stupid American dubbing just to appease the dumb US audiences, who were confused by the film, and it was re-editied so Sean Connery narrated the film to tell the dummies what was going on!
The ridiculous dubbing is of course nothing new...HELLRAISER comes to mind.
But HIGHLANDER is a classic.

pedromonkey 5th February 2010 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 61725)
HIGHLANDER
It's just a brilliant film.
Yes, Christophe Lambert has a dodgy Scots accent, but he's great as the Immortal.
No way is it overrated.
Russell Mulcahy's visual style of direction makes this an excellent film.
The Queen songs are great and go well with the film's theme.
The only bad point is the stupid American dubbing just to appease the dumb US audiences, who were confused by the film, and it was re-editied so Sean Connery narrated the film to tell the dummies what was going on!
The ridiculous dubbing is of course nothing new...HELLRAISER comes to mind.
But HIGHLANDER is a classic.

totally agree with you, HIGHLANDER is a classic.

vincenzo 5th February 2010 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadAlive (Post 61694)
Tidal Wave

The 1973 Japanese film Tidal Wave (Nippon Chinbotsu aka Submersion Of Japan) is absolutely brilliant in its original format. The shorter US Roger Corman edit with Lorne Greene as the President is best avoided.

Pigasus 5th February 2010 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 61696)
Outlander, Reminded me beowulf, but was better.

I agree!
:cool:

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 61696)
Tidal Wave looks interesting.

Looked promising, yes. But it's actually dull... and retro, but not in a good way.
:ohwell:

nekromantik 6th February 2010 12:22 AM

Saw the french movie Hidden (Cache) last night, had intresting premise but I thought it was very slow and too long really. Kinda ended up boring me and I really didnt care for the husbund or wife. Dissapointment.

42ndStreetFreak 6th February 2010 12:45 AM

"Mesrine" - Parts 1 & 2

Excellent biopic of real life French criminal Jacques Mesrine, wonderfully essayed by the ever watchable (and nutty) Vincent Cassel.

Mesrine may indeed have been a murderous, unstable, egotist and thug (and the film never sugarcoats this fact) but you have to say he was an amazingly ballsy, driven and fearless individual who genuinely carried out some amazingly daring escapades (his numerous prison escapes are just stunning in their audaciousness)...but his gigantic ego and often delusional self-belief ultimately scupper him at every turn.

Despite the huge running time (about 3hrs 50 minutes combined) this has been expertly crafted to ensure we get plentiful incident and lots of well done (and surprisingly violent) action.
This means that a potentially plodding and overly talkative plot is in fact turned into a fast paced, exciting, engrossing gangster thriller as well as a serious, dramatic, 'worthy' drama.

It does perhaps get a bit jumpy and confused later on as Mesrine gains a (more ego driven than anything truly devout and honest) political slant to his crime spree and the film's fast paced thriller set-up, that makes the film the engaging watch it is, does mean some details we could have done with more information about are skipped over (like his book and his family), but the sacrifice is ultimately worth it because it gives us a rare thing indeed...a nearly 4 hour bio flick that plays like a slam bang action thriller.
Excellent music score too.

Highly recommended!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 6th February 2010 08:40 AM

Watched Effects last night, coutesey of Mr loops :thumb: - it's a fun little film that never takes itself too seriously. A fairly wacky performance from Savini, and it was probably the only other film I've seen Joe Pilato in apart from Day of the Dead. Pretty enjoyable stuff IMO.

pedromonkey 6th February 2010 11:37 AM

watched The China Syndrome last night, fantastic film, very tense with an absence of musical score and some amazing performances especially by Jack Lemmon. Defo recommend the film.