Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   The Remakes Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/1130-remakes-thread.html)

vincenzo 4th February 2010 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 61571)
Bizzaro,you're right mate the remakes mentioned above don't exactly put the originals to shame.

I was referring to modern remakes....

THE OMEN
THE FOG
THE AMITYVILLE HORROR
THE WICKER MAN
THE HILLS HAVE EYES
FRIDAY THE 13TH
HALLOWEEN
HALLOWEEN II
RING
THE GRUDGE
THE EYE
DARK WATER
THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE

None of which are a patch on the originals.Not even close.;)

Absolutely agree. I would also add the appalling & senseless remakes of Black Christmas, Toolbox Murders and Prom Night to that hall of shame. :ack:

Rob Strange 4th February 2010 10:40 PM

The remakes of asian horrors A Tale Of Two Sisters and Kairo also deserve to burn with Neil LaBute in a wicker man.

42ndStreetFreak 5th February 2010 07:27 AM

I thought the remake of "Ringu" was pretty dire. And the TV crawl was not half as well done either.
Not that I'm (TV crawl aside) a huge "Ringu" fan.

Thought the remake of "Dark Water" was just a rather slow and dull film. But I've not seen the original.

I do stand up for the remake of "The Grudge" though....in it's 'Unrated Director's Cut' form.
I've not seen the original, but for me this was a perfect way of remaking a film for a wider audience as it had much of the same crew, kept many Japanese characters/actors and the setting.
And in the 'Director's Cut' at least it still managed to pack in some amazingly effective scares, creeps and shocks that felt they were out of a Japanese horror film.
Get the 'DC' and give it another shot I say.

But I am proud to say that from this list;

THE OMEN
THE FOG
THE AMITYVILLE HORROR
THE WICKER MAN
THE HILLS HAVE EYES
FRIDAY THE 13TH
HALLOWEEN
HALLOWEEN II
RING
THE GRUDGE
THE EYE
DARK WATER

I have only ever seen "The Ring" (my Wife wanted to see it), "The Grudge" and "Hills" (when it was on TV).

broonage 5th February 2010 08:28 AM

Watched Day of The Dead last night.

Nowhere as bad as people have said, it would have been nicer as it's own zombie movie though! It had very little to do with the original.
And zombies shooting guns and climbing on walls/roofs, ha!

vincenzo 5th February 2010 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak (Post 61603)

THE OMEN
THE FOG
THE AMITYVILLE HORROR
THE WICKER MAN
THE HILLS HAVE EYES
FRIDAY THE 13TH
HALLOWEEN
HALLOWEEN II
RING
THE GRUDGE
THE EYE
DARK WATER

I have only ever seen "The Ring" (my Wife wanted to see it), "The Grudge" and "Hills" (when it was on TV).

A wise move. :nod:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 5th February 2010 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak (Post 61603)
I thought the remake of "Ringu" was pretty dire. And the TV crawl was not half as well done either.
Not that I'm (TV crawl aside) a huge "Ringu" fan.

Thought the remake of "Dark Water" was just a rather slow and dull film. But I've not seen the original.

I do stand up for the remake of "The Grudge" though....in it's 'Unrated Director's Cut' form.
I've not seen the original, but for me this was a perfect way of remaking a film for a wider audience as it had much of the same crew, kept many Japanese characters/actors and the setting.
And in the 'Director's Cut' at least it still managed to pack in some amazingly effective scares, creeps and shocks that felt they were out of a Japanese horror film.
Get the 'DC' and give it another shot I say.

THE OMEN
THE FOG
THE AMITYVILLE HORROR
THE WICKER MAN
THE HILLS HAVE EYES
FRIDAY THE 13TH
HALLOWEEN
HALLOWEEN II
RING
THE GRUDGE
THE EYE
DARK WATER

Check out Ju-on mate.
Switch out the lights and crank up the sound.
You won't be disappointed.;)

Rob Strange 5th February 2010 08:44 PM

Yeah, both Ju On and the remake aren't bad at all. I do prefer Ju On, as I think the scares play better with a lower production value, but the remake is certainly of a comparable standard; it just feels a bit redundant to me after viewing the original.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 31st March 2010 04:33 PM

I couldn't find a more appropriate thread for this, but I found a link to this list posted on another forum, which details a few remakes and reboots that are currently in the works... http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/450292/75_movie_remakes_and_reboots_currently_in_the_work s.html :eek:

Whether any of them will see a cinema screen is another matter, but the list definitely provokes some interesting, puzzling, and disparaging reactions that's for sure. :suspicious:

darthelvis 31st March 2010 05:08 PM

I read yesterday that Michael Bay was remaking Rosemary's Baby, made me a little sick!

pedromonkey 31st March 2010 06:11 PM

Battle Royale could never get a good hollywood remake because of it's subject matter. teens killing teens, i would love to see this done correctly but can't see it ever happening.

Black Hole was not a very sucessful film on release, could look good with some sweet special effect like Pandorum.

Flash Gordon
, all ive got to say is bring it hollywood, you ****ed up with the tv show.

Fright Night
: WTF!!!!!!! leave alone

Gremlins: again no need to remake this.

Highlander: could have potential but under Fast and Furious director Justin Lin i think this will suck

The Howling
: no way

Videodrome & The Brood
: Cronenburg should sue....