Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

Nordicdusk 1st October 2017 10:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
No.2

Attachment 197156

Could XX save the night after the struggle that was Jackals

The answer is a big HELL NO what a crock of shit this was an anthology containing four stories all written and directed by woman with the lead role in each story played by a woman this seems to be the gimmick of the whole film making more of a deal about the sex of the writer directors rather than the quality of the finished product. This seriously does nothing for woman in the business and there are some great female writer directors out there.

XX was painful to watch.

1/10

Only gets one for one scene i enjoyed in the Birthday Party segment.

Not a great first night i hope it gets better tomorrow.

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st October 2017 10:16 PM

Good stuff, Nordic.

Looking forward to more. :pop2:

Nordicdusk 1st October 2017 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 552619)
Good stuff, Nordic.

Looking forward to more. :pop2:

Cheers Dem

Cinematic Shocks 2nd October 2017 02:37 AM

DAY 1:

Re-Animator (1985)

****1/2 out of *****

Justin101 2nd October 2017 08:27 AM

I ended up watching The Creature from the Black Lagoon I thought it was OK, it's definitely not up there with the others from the 30's. Has the same problem as Thunderball, too many overly long underwater shots which were a bit boring :lol:

Hopefully Dracula's Daughter tonight, if my Dracula Legacy set turns up in the post.

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd October 2017 09:35 AM

2 Attachment(s)
October 1st

House of 1000 Corpses (2003)

Rob Zombies grimy debut feature is a grizzled homage to the bygone era of Grindhouse cinema referencing the likes of Tobe Hooper classics The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) and 81's The Funhouse.

Zombie's self penned tale of two young couples falling prey to the demented inbred sicko's of the Firefly family is well worn territory and although derivative the film stands out because of some especially memorable characters in the sadistic Firefly clan and the deliciously OTT Captain Spaulding as played by Sid Haig. The film is also wildly entertaining and whilst similar to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre in that the film lacks gore it's more than made up for by a disturbingly edgy atmosphere and some wildly impressive and innovative cinematography.

This was the first time i'd seen the film in widescreen with DTS sound. It was akin to seeing the film for the first time.

Bonus film watched during the very early hours of October 1st.

The Plague of the Zombies (1965)

Classic Hammer horror with a strong storyline depicting Voodoo rituals in 18th century Cornwall. John Gilling directs one of the finest Hammer films to not star Cushing or Lee but their absence is more than made up for by the impressive Andre Morell and John Carson in the 'Van Helsing' and 'Dracula' roles. It's interesting to note how much this actually feels like Stoker's original Dracula story more so than any of the actual Hammer Dracula sequels. The films most memorable moment involves a dreamlike sequence where the dead crawl from their graves in a Voodoo ritual - a scene that influenced every flesh munching zombie flick that followed.

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd October 2017 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 552639)

Hopefully Dracula's Daughter tonight, if my Dracula Legacy set turns up in the post.

Slightly related. I was going to watch House of Frankenstein following House of 1000 Corpses (I did the same last year) as it's on the telly in the Firefly household but ended up watching the extras which were all new to me on the Corpses disc.

The interview with Rob Zombie by the desperately poor Billy Chainsaw is amateurish at best. Zombie looks bored by Chainsaw's awful delivery whilst reading from Q-cards.

Cinematic Shocks 2nd October 2017 03:27 PM

DAY 2:

Event Horizon (1997)

***1/2 out of *****

trebor8273 2nd October 2017 03:38 PM

Tonight's viewings will probably be The Boogens and Waxwork.

Inspector Abberline 2nd October 2017 05:48 PM

House of Frankenstein (1944 )

2 Attachment(s)
House of Frankenstein (1944 )

Meanwhile back at the castle...Boris Karloff and his hypnotic eyebrows are trying to start a supergroup with the Wolf Man (Chaney), Count Dracula (John Carradine), a hunchback (J. Carrol Naish), and Frankenstein's monster (Glenn Strange). Hilarity ensues when Chaney mistakes the Bürgermeister for a postman and Naish gets the hump...there's fog every where so f**k knows where it is set,could be Wolverhampton,Merthyr Tydfil or any shithole in the Eastern block. I suspect there's bats in the belfry and Chaney could do with a new flea collar...