Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

MrBarlow 8th October 2022 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 676920)
Wow! Yes, Mr.B. 100% You need to be ill and go see this.

It's probably my number one modern title most wanted on Blu-ray.

Just checked the time and date for Trick 'R' Treat the day that plays I think I'm on the first day of my holiday for that week, If you guys are recommending it then tickets will be bought.

MrBarlow 8th October 2022 04:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The House That Dripped Blood. 1971.

A policeman looks into four mysterious crimes that have happened that are centered round a mysterious house.

Method For Murder
A novelist working on his new book encounters a man that resembles the villain from his new book.

Waxworks
Two men visit a waxworks and a women made of wax resembles someone from their past.

Sweets To The Sweets.
A widowed man and his daughter move into the house and the daughter slowly becomes obsessed in witchcraft.

The Cloak
Horror movie actor Paul Henderson is looking for a authentic cloak to use for his new movie and finds one and it gives him vampire features which he can't understand.

Another Amicus anthology film with some well known actors and some familiar faces, I will admit the first story with Denholm Elliott has always been a let down for me, no disrespect he was a great actor and does have a good plot twist but seemed a bit dull.

The second stars Peter Cushing and Joss Ackland, both main leads in this have great chemistry together and believing they are seeing the same thing, being in a small building that builds up the claustrophobic atmosphere works really well.

Christopher Lee actually playing a strict father worked well for him with this and be over protective till a home tutor comes and draws out some darkness from his daughter that is quite played out well with Chloe Franks as his daughter.

Jon Pertwee plays the movie actor who acts like a total diva on set and thinks everything should be done like the old movies along with Ingrid Pitt who looks like she is ready to bust out of her dress at the end.

The house itself is like something you would expect to see in a good horror like this a big Gothic sinister looking mansion that you fall in love with when you see the outside yet inside you expect to see ghosts and shadows, the makers did a decent job with this, yet probably best watched in the dark during thunder and lightning.

Attachment 242552

Will watch The Reptile and comment on it later, have a good Saturday.

MacBlayne 8th October 2022 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 676919)
Just finished watching Rob Zombie's Halloween II, and like Frankie Teardrop i've re-evaluated my thoughts on it.

More tomorrow...but in short i bloody loved it!

HA-HA-HA! YES! YES!

I raved about H2 a few years ago, and you all thought I was mad.

MacBlayne 8th October 2022 07:15 AM

Bride of Chucky

BRIDE OF CHUCKY

Chucky gets lucky!

Chucky is resurrected by his former lover, Tiffany. But when she shows no interest in helping him become human again, he murders her, and transfers her soul into a doll. Together, they set out on a road trip to retrieve an artifact that can make them human again.

Some, including Don Mancini, have credited Scream for Chucky’s return, but I think this is a little disingenuous. Scream probably helped persuade the studios, but the Chucky series always carried an element of parody, self-awareness, and satire. Bride of Chucky is just the first one to dismiss the horror and become a full-blown comedy. And it’s hilarious!

Bride of Chucky is one of the best comedies ever made. Barely a minute passes without one laugh. Mancini’s screenplay is loaded with sharp gags and winks, and God director Ronny Yu (alongside his Hong Kong team: cinematographer Peter Pau; and editor David Wu) creates a heightened reality that sells it. Tilted cameras, heavy blue filters, roaring winds, blinding lightening – it is perfect.

Of course, it’s Chucky we’re here for, and this sees Brad Dourif at his best. He’s clearly having a blast, and Kevin Yagher’s doll effects capture this beautifully. But as fantastic as Dourif is, he is almost beaten by Jennifer Tilly’s Tiffany. Easily one of the greatest comedic performances ever, I strongly believe she should have been nominated for an Oscar in this. I swear, for the entirety of the running time, I was wiping away tears of laughter. Even John Ritter and Alexis Arquette have small roles, and they are gold.

The only sour note is Katherine Heigl and Nick Stabile as the teen lovers hijacked by Chucky. They are not bad, but they lack chemistry, and they don’t sell Mancini’s witty dialogue as the other cast members do. That said, there is a wonderful running joke, one that borders on sweet, that while the teenagers’ romance slowly collapses, Chucky and Tiffany fall deeper in love. Even to the point where, for the briefest of moments, Chucky seems to slightly regret his past actions, relishing the thought of a domestic life.

This is probably my favourite of the series, just slightly above the first film. Comedies nowadays wish they could be this funny and stylish. Highly recommended!

Frankie Teardrop 8th October 2022 11:32 AM

KILLER QUEEN – Like a lost Fred Friedel flick remixed into a cubist collage by Doris Wishman, ‘Killer Queen’ strikes the strangest of poses with its concoction of grimy grindhouse tropes and nouvelle vague. Story isn’t the point, but for what it’s worth it’s about a couple on a crime spree in New York, except the eponymous half of this double act, based on what we can glean from possibly half-hallucinated memories, might just be in it for the sheer bloody murder. I really dug this film. It’s very contrived, and that might be a turn off, but I was transfixed by what I saw. It’s grimy, filmed in 8mm so you can practically taste the grain, and it’s just full of breathless dislocation and moments of possibly insignificant strangeness. It’s the kind of film where characters talk about cheesecakes, then drift in and out of Proustian asides. It’s the kind of film where a giallo-style explanation-of-killer-tendencies-by-ambiguous-flashback-to-childhood gives way and gives up because someone needs to wander off and have a conversation with a librarian (or something). The ever-present threat of a slide into outright delirium is held in check by the knowing wink of its maker, but this is a giddy goose for sure. The benefits of the occasional trawl through the outer reaches of Prime (not a product placement) include discoveries like ‘Killer Queen’.

Nordicdusk 8th October 2022 03:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
30 Days of Unseen Horror

Day 6

Attachment 242554

Joseph Thorne is a detective that is very good at his job but he leads a bit of a shady life he is a great detective and to the outside world a dedicated family man but behind it all he loves his drugs and prostitues. When he is called to a brutal murder he finds a puzzle box at the scene and is instantly drawn to the box but intrigue some turns to obsession when he accidentally solves the puzzle and his life will be er be the same again.

This was a completely different pace to Hellraiser 4 with barely any screen time for pinhead and the other cenobites which is not a bad thing as it makes there appearance more of a treat. The whole film is a bit of a mind f*** with some many nightmareish scenes and by the end your left wondering yourself if what's happening is actually real or not. The large majority of the film doesn't feel like a Hellraiser film at all which I did enjoy this approach taking a different course from what went before. Solid acting and some good gore when it happens but it's the psychological side that's the main draw here.

Yet again a pleasant surprise and an other lesson learned just as with Bloodlines.

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th October 2022 04:10 PM

October 7th

1 Attachment(s)
Slugs (1988)

A gloriously gloopy Spanish take on Shaun Hutson's classic novel. It's a simple story as toxic waste mutates common slugs and turns them into flesh eaters. Meanwhile it's up to the local health inspector to stop them and also convince the authorities about what is happening.

This is brilliant. It always has been. It's riotous fun with nasty gore galore as slugs, thousands of slugs, eat their way through various towns folk in various states of undress.

Certainly it's ridiculous but it's played straight and all the better for it. This has long been a favourite of mine even if the scientist who features throughout the film seems to be dubbed by Austin Powers.

The Arrow Blu-ray looks gorgeous.

Nordicdusk 8th October 2022 04:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
30 Days Of Unseen Horror

Day 7

Attachment 242556

A female Nazi SS general and scientist is carrying out strange experiments on the people of a small village with the goal to create a super race of brainless slaves who they will unleash on Europe. The males are experimented on and the females are given to the beast for their sexual gratification.

I have always wanted to see this since I first read about it years ago in an issue of Dark Side Magazine about the video nasties all these years later I finally got around to it did it deliver.

In between all the gruesome rape scenes and torture this does get a bit boring but the film is sleazy as hell so it sort of makes you excuse that they tried to include a story. This was never going to live up to the hype I created myself for so many years but it does deliver what you expect boobs and bush galore. One of the beastvrape scenes did make me laugh I know it's a strange thing to say but when the beast bites off a woman's vagina the total absurdity of it all you can do is laugh.

Overall it was good to finally get a chance to check it out and it's pretty twisted the most impactful scene was waiting a father carry his dead son through the streets not that women getting raped isn't bad enough but I think you get what I mean.

One problem I had was .............

TOO MUCH PENIS :crazed:

Nordicdusk 8th October 2022 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 676934)
Slugs (1988)

A gloriously gloopy Spanish take on Shaun Hutson's classic novel. It's a simple story as toxic waste mutates common slugs and turns them into flesh eaters. Meanwhile it's up to the local health inspector to stop them and also convince the authorities about what is happening.

This is brilliant. It always has been. It's riotous fun with nasty gore galore as slugs, thousands of slugs, eat their way through various towns folk in various states of undress.

Certainly it's ridiculous but it's played straight and all the better for it. This has long been a favourite of mine even if the scientist who features throughout the film seems to be dubbed by Austin Powers.

The Arrow Blu-ray looks gorgeous.

Great review but s**t film

I have a phobia of slugs and this film is pure filth and should be banned :pound:

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th October 2022 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 676936)
Great review but s**t film

I have a phobia of slugs and this film is pure filth and should be banned :pound:

:ghostclap: :skull:

Yeah i can imagine it not being a fave if you have a slug phobia. It's not like the slugs are silly giant slugs like they would be in a fifties monster movie. No these slugs are black slugs, real life slugs and pretty revolting.