Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

Nordicdusk 21st October 2022 07:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
30 Days Of Unseen Horror

Day 20

Attachment 242769

After a traumatic experience as a child a woman has written up a list of demands that must be met when she dies to avoid her getting buried alive. She wants to be checked by five doctors the coffin is to be left open she is not to be inbalmed and a telephone must be left beside her coffin within her crypt with a direct line to the house where her blind son and his wife live just incase she wakes up. After years of nothing after her death one night the phone finally rings and all is on the other end is the wailing and moaning of an old lady almost sending the son into a breakdown. A paranormal investigator is brought in to find out if this is in fact the mother or a hoax to drive the son insane and part with his fortune.

What a brilliant film with a very creepy atmosphere even when just normal conversations are happening with nothing else out of the ordinary you can feel all is not right. The camera work and the score make you look in every corner thinking you can see something moving and with such sinister music your always expecting to worst to happen and where the music fades there is a constant howling of wind no matter where the scene is. The acting is superb with everyone looking like they are on the edge about to lose there minds apart from the paranormal investigators house keeper who always gave me a laugh with so much madeness going on around she is casual and relaxed cause she doesn't believe in such things :skull:.

The back story is also excellent showing that karma has a horrible way of falling back on you and you should put serious thought into your actions especially if they impact negatively on someone else.

A wonderfully creepy and haunting film with brilliant and tragic ending.

Recommended 100%

Justin101 21st October 2022 02:43 PM

Justin's Catch-up Hour!

Been a busy work week so I have been too tired to engage my brain, this is what I've watched since Sunday, quite a few re-watched 'classics' and a pair of yellow budgie smugglers :lol:

https://i.ibb.co/1zKLZgn/Screenshot-...-21-153823.jpg

I've also been watching some horror themed TV, Mike Flannigan's The Haunting of Hill House which is bloody brilliant so far (4 eps in) and some fun episodes of Buffy.

:casper:

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st October 2022 02:45 PM

October 20th

1 Attachment(s)
The Witches (1966)

Joan Fontaine gives an excellent performance as a teacher haunted by the ghosts of witch doctors from her time in Africa, in what would prove to be her final film role.

Hammer's Occult thriller is quite low key, lacking much in the way of exploitation and luridness which both adds to and takes away from the film. Having said this towards the end of the film a line is used more than once, a very witchcraft like line of dialogue or chant that i find decidedly creepy "Give me a skin for dancing in".

The story unsettles the longer it progresses and is beautifully performance driven as witchcraft appears rife in a sleepy English village in what is an early example of British Folk horror.

Justin101 21st October 2022 02:46 PM

Is that one in the Studio Canal/Optimum DVD box set do you know?

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st October 2022 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 677607)
Is that one in the Studio Canal/Optimum DVD box set do you know?

It's in the 21 disc box set certainly.

I have the Studio Canal dual format release. It has a lengthy doc on Hammer Glamour with Val Leon, Caroline Munro, Maddy Smith and Martine Beswick sat on a sofa together discussing their roles.

Justin101 21st October 2022 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 677608)
It's in the 21 disc box set certainly.

I have the Studio Canal dual format release. It has a lengthy doc on Hammer Glamour with Val Leon, Caroline Munro, Maddy Smith and Martine Beswick sat on a sofa together discussing their roles.

I do have the box set tucked away. I've been reluctant to buy the BDs because they are rarely reduced and there are other things to buy!

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st October 2022 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 677609)
I do have the box set tucked away. I've been reluctant to buy the BDs because they are rarely reduced and there are other things to buy!

Things other than Hammer horrors? Are you mad? :lol:

Justin101 21st October 2022 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 677610)
Things other than Hammer horrors? Are you mad? :lol:

:lol: With some of the crap I have been buying I think I could have spent my money more wisely :D I just mean, I already have 21 of them on DVD ;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st October 2022 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 677611)
:lol: With some of the crap I have been buying I think I could have spent my money more wisely :D I just mean, I already have 21 of them on DVD ;)

I have all of them on dvd and still want them in HD.

The thrillers less so but in time all of them. I'll clean up on the thrillers in the next Indicator 3 for £15 offer.

Justin101 21st October 2022 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 677613)
I have all of them on dvd and still want them in HD.

The thrillers less so but in time all of them. I'll clean up on the thrillers in the next Indicator 3 for £15 offer.

It turns out I have more than I thought on BD, I'd like to get Plague of the Zombies in HD soon though.

Hound of the Baskervilles
Countess Dracula
The Curse of Frankenstein
Dracula
Brides of Dracula
Captain Clegg
The Curse of the Werewolf
Kiss of the Vampire
Maniac
Die! Die! My Darling (Fanatic)
Never Take Sweets From A Stranger
Taste of Fear