Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   The SLICE AND DICE THREAD: DISCUSS YOUR MADMEN HERE! (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/1638-slice-dice-thread-discuss-your-madmen-here.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 27th August 2009 08:46 PM

The SLICE AND DICE THREAD: DISCUSS YOUR MADMEN HERE!

10 Attachment(s)
There are a lot of gore and underground topics on the board at the moment,and with the great news that Arrow are releasing SILENT NIGHT,DEADLY NIGHT, I thought we'd get back to some basics.Slashers are one of the most popular sub genres of horror.
Talk about your favourite slicers and dicers here.Don't just list 'em,tell us why you like them and what are your memories of seeing your fave for the first time........

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 27th August 2009 08:58 PM

The first slasher I seen on video,I reckon was THE BURNING.I was about ten and the BBFC (Big Brutal Father Censor) allowed me to watch it,although he did fast forward the sex (using the then state of the art remote with plugin cable).
Cropsy was a scary bastard when you were ten.:biggrin:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 27th August 2009 09:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
On the subject of SILENT NIGHT DEADLY NIGHT,the film caused outrage when first released.Although never classed as a video nasty,the film was never certified in the UK.
Some critics lambasted it,such as;

Leonard Maltin asking the question;
'What's next?The Easter Bunny as a child molestor?'
Large protest groups formed outside theaters in the US and apparently the poster shown in the post above,is the second reincarnation,the first being withdrawn.So if anyone has a pic of what the original poster was,please do stick it on.
SILENT NIGHT,DEADLY NIGHT remains the best of the 'Slasher as Santa' films.
Others include;
Don't open 'Til' Christmas
Christmas Evil
which are both worth a watch,but inferior to SNDN.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 27th August 2009 09:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another classic slasher,is of course the Xmas-themed BLACK CHRISTMAS.
A truly chilling movie which is often unfairly forgotten when the likes of HALLOWEEN is being mentioned as the one that kickstarted the genre.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 27th August 2009 09:28 PM

Even though I'm a giallo man at heart, I do love my slashers too... :biggrin:

Classic faves include:

Bay of Blood - the DEFINITIVE slasher film, and Bava seniors masterpiece IMO. :cool:
Black Christmas - Probably my favourite slasher, has all the elements I like plus is pretty damn creepy too.
The Burning - The first slasher I ever saw (I think I was about 8 or 9 at the time) and I've been hooked ever since!
Halloween - Even though I can't stand Jamie Lee Curtis, I can't fault Carpenter's Halloween - the suspense, the spray painted William Shatner mask, the score... Perfect. :cool:
Maniac - Without Spinell, this would have probably been garbage but what a performance - he made that film.

Then of course there is Fulci's New York Ripper - if you consider that a slasher. ;)

More (controversial :behindsofa: :tongue1:) faves of mine are:

American Psycho - One of the best modern slashers, with a great performance from Bale.
Blue Eyes of the Broken Doll - sort of a Spanish Giallo with Paul Naschy. About a serial killer who slaughters women and removes their eyes... one of my fave Spanish slasher flicks... not that there are many! :laugh:
Cradle of Fear - The whole goth n' gore thing appeals to me... that and a naked Emily Booth... :o
Home Sick - I don't know why this appeals so much to me as it is brainless, but it has some good gore plus a very memorable performance by Bill Moseley slicing himself up with razorblades. :shocked:
Pieces - Great, cheesy fun. :biggrin:
Stagefright - The bad dubbing, the owl, the chainsaw deaths, the chilling tableaux of arranged dead bodies as the climax is reached... it's almost poetic... great stuff from Soavi, who is criminally underated IMO.

Honorable mention: Family (John Landis) Master's of Horror series - George Wendt from Cheers kills people off in order to create a 'family' who are real and alive in his head.

So bad it's good mention: Blood Feast H G Lewis' tale of the Egyptian Cannibal Caterer - what's not to like?! :pound:

I'm not a great fan of the modern slasher nor the heavy franchise slasher's such as the Friday's and The Elm Street's. The only new stand-alone slasher I've seen recently that I thought had any merit was probably Laid to Rest - and even that I thought ended badly. I quite enjoyed Zombie's Halloween though, and I am looking forward to the sequel. :biggrin:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 27th August 2009 09:32 PM

Technically speaking B.E.,I'd say NYR was a slasher mate.

Another guy who broke their duck with THE BURNING.:cool:

What print do you prefer B.E.?
The Vipco grainy,'Grindhouse' look or the highly polished MGM Widescreen version?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 27th August 2009 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 39714)
Technically speaking B.E.,I'd say NYR was a slasher mate.

Another guy who broke their duck with THE BURNING.:cool:

What print do you prefer B.E.?
The Vipco grainy,'Grindhouse' look or the highly polished MGM Widescreen version?

I suppose NYR is a slasher - I was originally leaning more towards a Donald Duck Sexploitation flick though... :shocked::pound:

The Vipco print of Burning is terrible (admittedly I did see the VHS - the DVD may be better), I have yet to see the MGM copy. I have the 2 disc German Retrofilm release (it has that fantastic artwork on the cover that you posted above :woot:) and the print is pretty good - although it is probably lifted from somewhere.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 27th August 2009 10:39 PM

Where did you get the German release mate?

Vampix 28th August 2009 05:44 AM

Some of my fave slashers:

My Bloody Valentine (the original) - I'd never seen this until I got a hold of the Lionsgate SE DVD, I really enjoyed this original and inventive slasher.

The Burning - Saw this years back on the Thorn EMI pre-cert, loved it then and still love it now.This boasts some great Savini make-up & gore FX, likeable slasher fodder and a Rick Wakeman score.

The Prowler - Again saw this in the pre-cert days under the Rosemary's Killer title in a heavily cut down version.Picked up the uncut Blue Underground disc some years back and loved the graphic Savini gore, especially that classic bayonet through the skull scene.

Maniac - Joe Spinell plays the sweaty, mother fixated psycho brilliantly in this and once again FX master Tom Savini provides some gruesome scalpings, stabbings and one of the best exploding head scenes ever commited to celluloid.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 28th August 2009 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 39722)
Where did you get the German release mate?

eBay mate.

Peter Neal 28th August 2009 08:57 AM

Slashers are by far my favourite menu in the genre, with my first slasher rentals being "Halloween 2" (not long before it would get officially banned in Germany:rolleyes:) and the original "Friday, the 13th" (which my father had rented by accident, mistaking it for some comedy:laugh:....Lucky me when I watched it in the early morning hours of the next day when everybody was still asleep....:woot:).
Those 2 and "Maniac" are probably my favourite slashers.
"Maniac" works better for my adult tastes AND it has the dubious honor of being the very first movie to get banned on VHS in 80's Germany BEFORE they even tightened their "youth protection" laws....:eek:
Spinell's performance, the bautifully haunting main theme of the score, THAT exploding head, the subway chase...all classic and relentlessly rewatchable moments of the horror genre.

As a modern slasher I thought "Laid to Rest" was pretty good in bringing a few new ideas of its own to the table and delivering in the gore department.:cool:

mbv 28th August 2009 09:24 AM

The first slasher I ever saw was Friday the 13th part 2.
I remember being scared but ultimately hooked on wanting to see more. I was kinda dissapointed there wasn't more blood. :blush:
I loved the whole thing about the faceless killer although when he was unmasked it was a 'meh' reaction.
Also the POV shots really impressed me.

I kinda became obsessed with the franchise after that.

The burning was another one that blew me away years ago. The gore and the look of the killer really sold it for me...one of the best Savini make up jobs ever IMO. Only got to see it for the first time in years when I got the uncut edition and it still stands up.

My bloody valentine is also a huge favourite of mine. So nasty and creepy and again the version from years ago was shredded. The uncut edition really shows what studios should do to their back catalogue.

Favourite though is F13 4. Love this from start to finish and it's between this and the Thing for my most watched horror.
Jason looks great in this, no pissing about just killing. There's some great kills, scares, tension and then the finale is a worthy (first:laugh:)demise of JV.

vincenzo 28th August 2009 10:37 AM

Haunted House Of Horror was my first slasher.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 28th August 2009 11:19 PM

Don't think I've seen that one Vince.

vincenzo 28th August 2009 11:25 PM

I first saw it on TV when I was about 8 and it scared the pants off me. A little slow and dated now (especially the hairstyles) but still enjoyable. The murder of Mark Wynter is still pretty gory today (that's what you get for singing Venus In Blue Jeans). :laugh:

It's available in the Tigon AB coffin box.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 28th August 2009 11:31 PM

Christ so it is.I ain't watched that one yet.:o

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 28th August 2009 11:33 PM

Calendar killers

Other Calender Killer movies include;

APRIL FOOL'S DAY
MY BLOODY VALENTINE
NEW YEAR'S EVIL
MOTHER'S DAY

and of course the classics,
HALLOWEEN
and
FRIDAY THE 13TH

Anyone know of any more?
Anyone seen NEW YEAR'S EVIL?

Eurosleaze 28th August 2009 11:46 PM

I'm quite the fan of pervs, sickos and general (convincing) psychopaths that you spend the entire movie gently wishing extreme revenge on. And I've seen a few of those in my time. :)

So, the general idea is:

David Hess in nearly every film he's ever been in.
William Berger out of Love Letters of a Portuguese Nun.
Ben Ng out of Red to Kill.
Christoph Waltz out of Inglourious Basterds.
Paul Smith in Midnight Express.

You get the idea. :)

vincenzo 28th August 2009 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 39867)
Anyone know of any more?

(don't forget crimbo).... :smow:

Black Christmas
Don't Open Till Christmas
Silent Night Deadly Night
Christmas Evil
To All A Goodnight
Silent Night Bloody Night
Home For The Holidays

Happy Birthday To Me
Graduation Day
Bloody New Year
Home Sweet Home (Thanksgiving Day)
He Knows You're Alone (Wedding night)
Valentine
Bloody Birthday
The Easter Bunny Goes Schizoid During Lent

(the last one may not be true)..... :madgrin: :rofl:

Peter Neal 29th August 2009 09:41 AM

Not to forget: "The Mutilator" was originally titled "Fall Break":rockon:

Pete 29th August 2009 01:12 PM

Not really a fan of the slasher genre but the ones i do like are:

Rosemarys Killer
The Burning
Halloween
Halloween 4
Pieces

I would say New York Ripper but thats a giallo and far too good to be classed as a slasher:p

The worst slasher for me is Maniac. Its one of the worst films i have ever seen.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 31st August 2009 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 39869)
(don't forget crimbo).... :smow:

Happy Birthday To Me
Graduation Day
Bloody New Year
Home Sweet Home (Thanksgiving Day)
He Knows You're Alone (Wedding night)
Valentine
Bloody Birthday

Graduation Day,Happy Birthday To Me and Home Sweet Home were all entertaining entries I reckon.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 31st August 2009 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 39869)

That would make a great seasonal slasher (or even a creature feature!) though, Vince! :pound:

Paul 31st August 2009 09:59 PM

Does Night of the Demon count as a slasher?:biggrin:

vincenzo 31st August 2009 10:02 PM

Especially the sequels Easter Bunny 2: Revenge Of The Rancid Rabbit, Terror On Watership Down, and Silent Night, Hopping Night. :biggrin:

Could be described as "A hare-raising motion picture experience". I'll stop now. :makelikeatree:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 31st August 2009 11:50 PM

BLACK CHRISTMAS has got to rate as the scariest seasonal slasher....:eek:

mbv 1st September 2009 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 40086)

Defo one of the creepiest movies ever.
Is the remake crap?

vipco 1st September 2009 10:59 AM

I like Bay of Blood, Bloody Moon and The Burning.

First Slasher I saw was Rosemarys Killer on re run at the cinema with my first girlfriend. Have'nt been to the cinema in over 15 years as I refuse to support the bbfc , though I have made an exception for Sound of Music for personal reasons.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 1st September 2009 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 40086)

One of my faves. I try and dig it out each year in order to get into the spirit of the season... :biggrin:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 1st September 2009 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vipco (Post 40102)
I like Bay of Blood, Bloody Moon and The Burning.

First Slasher I saw was Rosemarys Killer on re run at the cinema with my first girlfriend. Have'nt been to the cinema in over 15 years as I refuse to support the bbfc , though I have made an exception for Sound of Music for personal reasons.

I, too tend not to bother with the cinema any more vips. I bet Rosemary's Killer must have been good on the big screen. I'm too young to have had the chance to see any of the slasher classics at the cinema though.... :pout:

vincenzo 1st September 2009 01:54 PM

The first 'X' film I ever saw on the cinema was a slasher (namely My Bloody Valentine) back in 1981. It was doubled with The Funhouse.

I saw Rosemary's Killer (heavily cut) as part of a double with the 2nd Lemon Popsicle film Going Steady of all things. :biggrin:

vipco 1st September 2009 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye (Post 40106)
I, too tend not to bother with the cinema any more vips. I bet Rosemary's Killer must have been good on the big screen. I'm too young to have had the chance to see any of the slasher classics at the cinema though.... :pout:

Yeah, it was, even as a re run, though the girl I went with dumped me by fone because I sat glued to the film all nite and actually forgot about her.

It was great to hear the boo's when the BBFC cert appeared on screen.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 1st September 2009 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vipco (Post 40117)
Yeah, it was, even as a re run, though the girl I went with dumped me by fone because I sat glued to the film all nite and actually forgot about her.

It was great to hear the boo's when the BBFC cert appeared on screen.

A diehard gorehound you are Vip's.Your guts before your nuts.Now that's dedication!:clap::laugh:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 1st September 2009 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbv (Post 40089)
Defo one of the creepiest movies ever.
Is the remake crap?

Utter drivel mate.Don't waste your coffers on this!

Another Crimbo classic is the hilarious Don't Open 'Til Christmas.From what I recall,that's the one where the Santa is done in whilst having a piss....:pound:

vincenzo 1st September 2009 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 40127)
Another Crimbo classic is the hilarious Don't Open 'Til Christmas.From what I recall,that's the one where the Santa is done in whilst having a piss....:pound:

And another one gets more than his chestnuts roasted on an open fire. :lol:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 2nd September 2009 06:55 PM

Mother's Day is another fine anniversary slasher,which takes us into.....

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 2nd September 2009 07:46 PM

Outdoor Psychos

10 Attachment(s)
With the success of John Boorman's Deliverance,movie makers suddenly realized that there was an audience for brutal and violent backwoods psychos.
Wes Craven was one of the first,with his now classic updating of the Sawney Bean legend,THE HILLS HAVE EYES.Craven took Boorman's superb thriller one step further by adding that age-old taboo,cannibalism.
In 1980,Walter Hill gave us Southern Comfort which,again developed the backwoods maniac theme,giving the Cajun swamp dwellers the upper hand,whilst portraying the U.S. National Guard as a mighty gigilo,who has just been struck by impotence.
Of course,FRIDAY THE 13TH opened the floodgates when it came to the teenage summercamp theme.When teenagers are involved,the mixture of sex,violence and a maniac whose next kill is even more spectacular than the last,bums were guaranteed to fill cinema seats.
The outdoor slasher eighties had arrived,and they weren't going away in a hurry....

JUST BEFORE DAWN
THE BURNING
SLEEPAWAY CAMP
SLEEPAWAY CAMP 2
THE PREY
FINAL TERROR
DON'T GO IN THE WOODS
THE FOREST
THE PREY
HUMONGOUS
THE MUTILATOR
MADMAN
THE HILLS HAVE EYES PART II
MASTERBLASTER
TERROR AT TENKILLER
AMERICAN GOTHIC
MOTHER'S DAY

Anyone think of any others?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 3rd September 2009 11:41 AM

I have yet to see a few of those reaps, especially Mother's Day which I've heard is pretty good.

The Sleepaway Camp films are good fun. :biggrin: I haven't seen the fourth installment though, plus I think (:confused:) that they are making a fifth!?

Two more potentials to add to list: Lenzi's Nightmare Beach (arguably a giallo - though definitely an uncoventional one! :laugh:) and Unhinged.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 4th September 2009 06:21 PM

Mother's Day is definetly worth seeking out B.E.:nod:

TALL DUDE 9th September 2009 08:03 PM

Hunters blood would qualify as a backwoods slasher,ala deliverance. Very tense and a couple of good gore scenes to boot.:eyebrows: