Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   The Films of PETE WALKER (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/2160-films-pete-walker.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 4th January 2010 07:45 PM

The Films of PETE WALKER

10 Attachment(s)
Born in 1939 in Brighton,director,writer and producer Pete Walker moved from sexploitation films in the late sixties to some of the most censor-baiting horror and exploitation of the seventies.
Following on from perhaps Russell's example (THE DEVILS),British directors like Walker and Norman J Warren stepped up the violence and nudity in U.K. cinemas.Something that was (normally) left for Hammer films to provide the British movie-going public with.
From miniscule budgets,Walker crafted films that betrayed their humble purse strings,giving us a much more cold and brutal outlook to Britsploitation.
Peaking at the top of his game in the seventies,Walker moved into the eighties,directing what should have been one of THE horror events of the century, HOUSE OF THE LONG SHADOWS.
With an iconic horror cast to die for,House boasted the talents of four horror legends,Peter Cushing,Christopher Lee,Vincent Price and John Carradine!
Whilst sadly not up to the brutal films he unleashed during the seventies,HOUSE OF THE LONG SHADOWS is looked upon fondly by Walker fans,and is one of the few films of his output,which has yet to see the light of day on DVD.
Retiring from the film industry altogether,Walker moved into property development and real estate.
Sadly,a great waste of talent!

What's your favourite Walker flick?

Were any of you lucky enough to catch one on the big screen?

Discuss all aspects of Walker here!:nod:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 4th January 2010 07:51 PM

Multiple choice poll people!:nod:

vincenzo 4th January 2010 09:46 PM

Tough choice between Frightmare and Cool It Carol for top spot for me. I also enjoyed the underrated Home Before Midnight.

I watched House Of The Long Shadows again last week (via the Guild video) and didn't enjoy it as much as I used to. In fact, considering the phenomenal cast, it was a bit of a wasted opportunity at times.

mark meakin 5th January 2010 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 56195)
Tough choice between Frightmare and Cool It Carol for top spot for me. I also enjoyed the underrated Home Before Midnight.

I watched House Of The Long Shadows again last week (via the Guild video) and didn't enjoy it as much as I used to. In fact, considering the phenomenal cast, it was a bit of a wasted opportunity at times.

Frightmare for me.A very grisly brit horror for the time.The House Of Mortal Sin (Confessional Murders) was okay,though it's a shame Peter Cushing was unable to make the movie.

mark meakin 5th January 2010 10:32 AM

Schizo is WAY overlong & could easily have lost 15 minutes.I have the uncut R1 disc,but I'm not a big fan of the film.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 5th January 2010 07:34 PM

FRIGHTMARE for me also.Though as I say,I like all of his films.

FRIGHTMARE has the grubby and gritty locations,some of which I believe were filmed eastwards along the coast from you Vince.

Paul@TheOverlook 5th January 2010 08:41 PM

HOUSE OF WHIPCORD is definitely my favourite. It's such an intensely uncomfortable experience.

vincenzo 5th January 2010 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 56409)
FRIGHTMARE has the grubby and gritty locations,some of which I believe were filmed eastwards along the coast from you Vince.

Most of it was filmed in Haslemere, Surrey. :nod:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 5th January 2010 11:33 PM

Thought that.There is a motorway sign visible in the film.
My sister in law lives down that way.....

Anyone think Peter Cushing would have did a better job on 'Mortal Sin'?

vincenzo 5th January 2010 11:48 PM

Yes I do. Anthony Sharp was an excellent actor and did the best he could, but he didn't quite have the necessary bite for the role.

Cushing also turned down Blood From The Mummy's Tomb, Lust For A Vampire and Halloween.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 5th January 2010 11:50 PM

Sharp did do well.He was rather manic.....but had Cushing got the role,and went into Baron mode,well......

Home Before Midnight is rather 'Jailbait' isn't it?:eek:

vincenzo 5th January 2010 11:57 PM

Sharp will probably always be best remembered as Malcolm McDowell's government buddy in A Clockwork Orange and in To The Manor Born. :eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 56468)
Home Before Midnight is rather 'Jailbait' isn't it?

Sure is. Great film though with a typical brilliant Richard Todd performance as James Aubrey's barrister. The judge is Whipcord's Patrick Barr.

Mojo 8th January 2010 11:12 AM

Frightmare, for me. One of the truly great Brit horrors, with a fantastic performance from Sheila Keith.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th January 2010 07:35 PM

FRIGHTMARE seems to be the most popular Moj,and rightly so.:cool:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th January 2010 07:37 PM

No one else like THE COMEBACK or THE FLESH AND BLOOD SHOW.?

In The Comeback,Pamela Stephenson once again shows off her psychology talents...;)

Pete 8th January 2010 07:38 PM

I have only seen 3 PW films:

Cool it Carol! (good)

Frightmare (good)

The Flesh and Blood Show (bad)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th January 2010 07:40 PM

Perhaps TFABS is worth another go at a later stage Loops?

Pete 8th January 2010 07:43 PM

I tried to watch it again but I turned it off.

The dvd might have something to do with me disliking it though. The trasnfer was a lousy NTSC to PAL and it was far too dark.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th January 2010 07:44 PM

Which disc is it,the Shriek Show one?

Pete 8th January 2010 07:48 PM

The UK Odeon release.

Their disc of Cool it Carol is much better.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th January 2010 07:50 PM

Hmm...don't know about those Odeon discs....The Shriek Show one was okay as I recall....

Pete 8th January 2010 07:52 PM

Odeon are re-releasing Frightmare and The Comback and a few other brit horrors like a 2 Discer of The Asphyx and The Blood on Satans Claw.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th January 2010 07:54 PM

What happened to all their releases last year?

Frightmare et al never appeared...:confused:

Pete 8th January 2010 07:56 PM

I think they got delayed. They are comming out, I have the order forms.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th January 2010 08:01 PM

I need to get round to watching their disc of Neither the Sea Nor the Sand.....
back to Mr Walker.....

Britain could hav done with more directors like PW.

Anyone anything good to say about Die Screaming Marrianne?

vincenzo 8th January 2010 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 56940)
No one else like THE COMEBACK or THE FLESH AND BLOOD SHOW?

The Comeback was excellent in parts but very draggy. Good gore sequences when they came. The Flesh And Blood Show was just deadly dull.

Quote:

Anyone anything good to say about Die Screaming Marrianne?
Susan George boogeying over the opening credits. http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/love/love0010.gif

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th January 2010 10:00 PM

Absolutely.My sentiments exactly.:nod:

Angel 9th January 2010 06:27 AM

Schizo and House of Mortal Sin are my 2 favourites.

Pete 9th January 2010 09:08 AM

I had Schizo but I got shot of it before I watched it:(

vincenzo 9th January 2010 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel (Post 56987)
Schizo and House of Mortal Sin are my 2 favourites.

I found Schizo overlong despite some great gore scenes. Much preferred Mortal Sin.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 10th January 2010 11:19 AM

Mortal Sin is the superior film,but you can't be too hard on any film that features the late,great Jack Watson.;)

vincenzo 10th January 2010 11:26 AM

Horror-wise, Watson also turned up in From Beyond The Grave and as the dubious fisherman in the entertaining Tower Of Evil. He was also in 60's gems such as Peeping Tom, The Gorgon and The Night Caller.

Great actor. Much missed.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 10th January 2010 12:01 PM

Sure is.He was superb in THE WILD GEESE.

Tower of Evil is another British gem.

Britain churned out some fantastic horror movies during the seventies.

vincenzo 10th January 2010 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 57114)
Sure is.He was superb in THE WILD GEESE.

Definitely. He replaced Stephen Boyd at short notice but made the role his own. He was also excellent in The Hill and This Sporting Life (two of my favourite 60's Brit films).

He seems to be more remembered now for Coronation Street. :ack:

Splatterdragon73 17th January 2010 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 56998)
I found Schizo overlong despite some great gore scenes.

I actually quite enjoy Schizo and still have a sealed copy of Image's no-frills DVD.
Redemption's uncut release looked awful imo and i recall years ago one of Sky's movie channels screening a very nice anamorphic print which was sadly still snipped!:(

The scene with the bespectacled psychic medium is also blatantly pilfered from Argento's Deep Red too if i'm not wrong.

vincenzo 17th January 2010 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 (Post 58096)
i recall years ago one of Sky's movie channels screening a very nice anamorphic print which was sadly still snipped!:(

The old Warner VHS was snipped to high heaven. Badly edited too. Much of it didn't make sense.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 18th January 2010 07:39 PM

Which I used to pronounce in my younger days as Shyzo.....:laugh:

Calum 23rd January 2010 07:27 PM

If anyone is shopping around the four disc Shriek Show box set can be picked up online at pretty good prices!

LineSix 27th January 2010 10:02 PM

I bought the Anchor Bay coffin-shaped box set of his films last year, I've only watched Die Screaming, Marianne and Frightmare though, both were ok although Frightmare was the superior film. I'll get round to watching the others at some point.

vincenzo 27th January 2010 11:46 PM

House Of Whipcord is my second favourite in the Walker box (after Frightmare).