Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   Just how do YOU organize yours? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/2185-just-how-do-you-organize-yours.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 19th March 2010 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phats (Post 67960)
I would comment on your image there iluvdvds but photobucket is blocked at work so I can't see it. :doh: I'll have to have a butch later on.

I arrange my DVDs by horror, comedy, tv shows, stand-up and then the rest, all categories in alphabetical order. However, I don't have a great deal of space for storage so they end up in growing piles around my room. My blurays are all just in alphabetical order but soon I may have to think about putting them in genres as I've just passed the 100 mark. :woot: I realise this probably isn't much of a milestone for many on here but I'm still going to celebrate. :woot:

You've got at least 98 more Blu-Rays than me Phats. ;)

I'm seriously considering re-organising mine in the near future and genre seems like my preferred method at the mo. :nod: Either that or by label anyway... :biggrin:

Phats 19th March 2010 11:37 AM

@iluvdvds: Yeah, just putting them on the shelves randomly is what I tend to do, then I sort them out maybe once a month. At the moment I have 2 series of Only Fools and Horses in the horror section and Wrong Turn in the comedy section. :confused:

By the way, have you colour coded the DVD spines or is it just a random colour thing at the bottom of the spine?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 19th March 2010 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds (Post 67953)
What do you think about this idea?

Ages ago a member on here posted pictures of spines he had made for some of his dvds and they looked really good.

Sooo, I had a go myself at designing some spines - they're really easy to do.

But if you could (forget how long it will take, how much paper and all of that) would you like to have all your dvds (with a few exceptions like Arrow and Shameless and maybe even Vipco for example) look like this, all uniformed and neat, or is that just a bit too OCD?!

I think they look pretty good especially when you compare it to dvds that have the film's title on the spine in really small or unreadable (from a distance) font. Plus it'll be much easier to organize etc.

What do you think?

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/m...123/spines.jpg

Very nice iluv. :nod:

Personally I wouldn't want to do this, mainly because I couldn't be bothered to make spines for 1400 titles... :eek: But also for the fact that I like to see the uniqueness of my collection as they face spine-ways ;) Plus, knowing what some titles' spines look like helps me to identify the film/edition easier when I'm quickly grabbing a film from the shelf.

That said, I still think it's a good idea, and your mock-ups look very impressive iluv; as it at least gives you a bit of creativity and control over your collection. You could also add a small pic of the cover on the spine, or the logo of the distributor to make it even more recognisable. Great for bland spines, but just not practical in my case! :biggrin: :lol:

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 19th March 2010 11:49 AM

:laugh: It would take aggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg gggggggggggggggggeeees to do! But there's a big part of me that is curious to see what my collection would look like if I did do this.

Think how much ink it would take up with printing!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 19th March 2010 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds (Post 67967)
:laugh: It would take aggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg gggggggggggggggggeeees to do! But there's a big part of me that is curious to see what my collection would look like if I did do this.

Think how much ink it would take up with printing!

It would take an age mate! :eek:

I suppose you could do it for a few like titles and see what it looks like.

If you were going to do it, may be you could print them all off at uni... ;) :lol:

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 19th March 2010 12:09 PM

Nah, uni is stingy! You actually have to pay to use their printers! :faint: :faint: :laugh:

Imagine doing this for the WHOLE collection, stepping back to admire it, and thinking it looks crap! :doh:

MahnTheMovieMan 23rd March 2010 08:42 PM

I usually organize mine by genre and then by company.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 23rd March 2010 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds (Post 67971)
Nah, uni is stingy! You actually have to pay to use their printers! :faint: :faint: :laugh:

Imagine doing this for the WHOLE collection, stepping back to admire it, and thinking it looks crap! :doh:

Bugger that mate.....:drama::jest:

Steel76 25th March 2010 06:41 AM

I organize my collection alphabetically.
Done that since the early VHS collecting days.
And I also have my BD´s mixed into that DVD collection.
Earlier I had the BD´s by them selves on a shelf, but I though "what the hell" let my DVD´s and BD´s live together as friends and not enemys ;)

I know "HD ONLY!!" geeks on forums like AVS etc. would burn me at a stake for putting the BD´s among the "primitive" and "how can you still watch that blurry mess?!?" DVD format. ;)
Those same people should just move out of their parents basements already and get laid instead of counting the pixels and bitrate all night long :lol:

mercury 4th September 2010 01:11 PM

At the moment my movies are organised by date bought. This For me is so that I can look at a film and remember what time of my life I bought it.(a kind of window to the past):lol: Sad I know, but lately I feel that I may need to change it. As I now have The Stranger next to City of the living dead which will separate Inferno from the rest of my arrow collection. I need to change this but I am too afraid:headbang:

BioZombie 4th September 2010 03:47 PM

At the moment my dvds (and BD's) are in transition from one place to another. When they get shelved again I need to try and come up with a ordering system that I like. So far I find in quite hard to get them how I want. A-Z seems good but then what's the point of having a collection (like Arrow or Shameless) and not keeping them together.

necroluciferia 1st February 2011 06:02 PM

I have all my horror DVDs together - used to put them all in alphabetical order but I didn't find it very practical and so now they are grouped by either sub-genre, region or director.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 2nd February 2011 08:23 AM

Mine are sorted in the following way: Blu-rays and then DVDs which are subdivided into different categories (film, TV, comedy, music etc) with all the Shameless ones together. When it comes to box sets, it depends on which films are inside as to whether I keep them together or list them separately so the Jack Black Collection (School of Rock and Orange County) has the individual films under those titles but then something like The Blind Dead Collection has the films in order.

It might sound confusing but it makes sense to me, and that's what counts!

RoXX0rz 6th March 2011 07:50 PM

I organize mine depending on how much I watch/like a particular movie. So for example, all my movies that I watch/like the most are on top shelf, and the ones that I don't like or watch as much are on lower shelves.

Phats 8th March 2011 12:08 PM

Nowadays, I organise my DVDs by distributor, therefore allowing me to eventually have the whole of the Shameless logo visible - once I've got round to getting all of them. The more obscure distributors for who I have only a few DVDs from are put in a random pile. It looks good with all the Arrow, Shameless, Tartan, Optimum etc. DVDS all grouped together. My blurays are still in alphabetical order as I've not got nearly as many of them.

gb52 8th March 2011 02:03 PM

I had them all over the place, then I decided to go by the country and the country of origin of the director.

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th March 2011 02:21 PM

Just by genre - comedy, western, war etc.
Horrors are the same - gothic, giallo, Euro horror, with the rest split into pre 1990 and post 1990. Shameless and Arrow discs are all over the place lol.

Demoncrat 8th March 2011 02:41 PM

anal pedant alert!!!

dvds are arranged in sections
A-Z (includes mainstream, tv, comedy)
music A-Z
"foreign" ie euro/asian/etc A-Z
boxsets A-Z

i have a burgeoning "overspill" which includes titles im currently rewatching, new stuff, borrowed stuff... A - hem.

gag 9th March 2011 04:37 AM

Mine are done by box set, then tv series, then films that are trilogies etc, All my Arrow Shameless Tartan and Vipco etc together, Then after that subtitles in 1 pile, Directors, owt and nowt like music, live shows, comedians, etc. then everything else if Alphabetically

fish 7th April 2011 11:18 PM

the chaos of my dvd collection

i own over 3000 dvds in regular cases not skinnies thus can't have all my titles showing due to space taken up with other stuff like airguns and such so .. i have 4 dvd sections ...tv on 2 independent shelves,4 lines of horror 2 back 2 in front crap at the back collections in front ie saw shameless and redemption etc,then 4 lines as before of all non horror films crap at the back section in front for sleave packaging and sets like cine asia,then finaly my blueray free-for-all shelf ie from alien egg set /kickass to get him to the greek and any other bluerays i get
some of my none horror is in actor groups like vinnie/seth rougan etc
some horror in like serial killers,vamps and monsters if not part of sets like shameless or brain damage whatever

it works for me :)

Gold6082 9th April 2011 06:13 AM

I have tried many forms over the years,I had a reshuffle on thursday and come up with the best arrangement for me yet.

On bookcase 1

I have arrow & shameless on shelf 1

shelf 2 is video nasties

shelf 3 & 4 series like halloween 1-8,hellraiser 1-8 saw 1-7 etc

shelves 5 & 6 all Italian & spanish favourites that do not fall into arrow,shameless or video nastie groups.

bookcase 2

shelves 1 & 2 code red & mondo macarbro

shelves 3 & 4 horror series & boxsets, tales from the crypt seasons,masters of horror etc

shelves 5 & 6 films I plan to revisit or give a second chance after giving up with first time.

and bookcase 3

mainly consists of films I found ridicolously shit in which I will either sell/trade or happily lend

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 9th April 2011 11:22 AM

Oh very organized collection, Gold. :thumb: What about films that fall into more that one category though? :faint:

Make Them Die Slowly 9th April 2011 12:05 PM

Before I ran out of space and could display my DVDs, I had them in a mix of alphabetical and individual directors. Now that I have to store them in wallet cases it's in order purchased except those I've yet to watch which are stored in what Mrs MTDS calls "Will you tidy up your crap" order! CD's are stored by genre and band which is fairly easy as I mainly listen to two types of music, garage punk and not garage punk.

Hammer time 10th April 2011 11:09 PM

dvds go in the dvd pile/a box/anywhere/everywhere,Blus go on a shelf sorted by region

masdawg 11th April 2011 01:51 AM

I used to simply have mine A-Z, but starting a few collections and things, I decided to put specific collections I'm working on together.
So, at the moment I have:
Video Nasties (A-Z), Shameless (Spine #), Arrow (A-Z), box sets (A-Z), Cayman Classic Horror collection (Spine #), Tartan Asia Extreme (A-Z), and then everything else A-Z and then Music DVDs (A-Z).

Then I also have a big pile of second hand DVDs, which I need to buy some new covers for...some of them are in a right messy state :lol:

Victhulhu 12th April 2011 06:57 AM

I've got a pretty confusing way of organising them. First I have a few shelves for TV series, then Kids films, then Troma films, and the rest is A-Z with notable directors put together. For example, all my Fulci films are under F.

Then I have another shelf just for Bluray, which is A-Z with everything mixed in together, except for Steelbooks, which are kept at the end of the section.

Gothicvamp1888 28th April 2011 04:09 PM

I have my horror on different section to my non horror and both sections are in alpha order....even all my boxsets (in another different section) are in alpha order and all the ones piled on the floor (waiting to buy new shelving) are in alpha order.... i like to be organised :)

MatOfTheDead 28th April 2011 04:22 PM

i got no real organisation atm for my dvds etc i ran out of room so they are in stacks in my wardrobe

SamSanch3z 17th August 2011 11:08 PM

I keep my collection separated by genre and then alphabetized within genre. The are exceptions where I separate my Criterion Collection, Masters of Cinema, Second Run, Dragon Dynasty, Fox Film Noir, etc... And those are ordered by spine number.

My Shameless and Arrow collections are currently small, but will be growing very soon, so those will also be separated from the rest and ordered by spine number and alphabetically respectively.

darthelvis 18th August 2011 06:52 AM

I'm waiting for new shelves to be built in and then I'll be sorting my collection out by Director, Company e.g. Arrow, Shameless, Code Red, ANchor Bay etc and then genre I guess.

Baseball Fury 18th August 2011 07:16 AM

I've got a weird set up going on at the moment.

It's like this:

Upstairs Shelves:

On display on the top - Hitchcock collection, Wicker Man wooden box, Vengeance trilogy gift box.

Arrow(alphabetical)
Blu-ray (alphabetical)
HD-DVD (alphabetical)
Horror DVD (alphabetical)
DVD Steelbooks
David Lynch (chronological)
Tarantino (chronological)
Coen Brothers (chronlogical)
Cayman Horrors (spine numbers)
Generic DVD's (alphabetical)

Downstairs Ikea storage boxes (in one of those 4x4 cube shelving things):

Box 1: Chick flicks/kids films
Box 2: TV box sets
Box 3: More TV stuff
Box 4: Tartan Asia Extreme
Box 5: Rest of Asian stuff
Box 6: XBOX 360 games
Box 7: Wii/PS3 games
Box 8: Video game controllers etc

Then 4 shelves of vinyl (Alphabetical, then chronological by artist, and then by format [12", 10", 7 "])

Seperate shelving for CD's (1300 of em!) and music DVD's which is alphabetical, with each artist being chronological. If there's any EP's in there, they fall in between the albums from that era.

Phew!

antmumford 18th August 2011 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 174864)

It's like this:

Upstairs Shelves:

On display on the top - Hitchcock collection, Wicker Man wooden box, Vengeance trilogy gift box.

Arrow(alphabetical)
Blu-ray (alphabetical)
HD-DVD (alphabetical)
DVD Steelbooks

Then 4 shelves of vinyl (Alphabetical, then chronological by artist, and then by format [12", 10", 7 "])

Seperate shelving for CD's (1300 of em!) and music DVD's which is alphabetical, with each artist being chronological. If there's any EP's in there, they fall in between the albums from that era.

Phew!

Would love to see pics ;)

blu 18th August 2011 09:34 PM

I have zombie films first, then everything else. Both groups are alphabetized. I've tried listing by genre a few times but always go back to alpha.

BioZombie 19th August 2011 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blu (Post 175111)
I have zombie films first, then everything else. Both groups are alphabetized. I've tried listing by genre a few times but always go back to alpha.

I've tried organising by genre a few times, but always find a few left over that I dont know where to put.

parkrobs 19th August 2011 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 174864)

It's like this:

Upstairs Shelves:

Arrow(alphabetical)
Blu-ray (alphabetical)
HD-DVD (alphabetical)
DVD Steelbooks

Phew!

I like your style!! Any chance of some pics???

blu 25th August 2011 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioZombie (Post 175137)
I've tried organising by genre a few times, but always find a few left over that I dont know where to put.

I hear ya. So many films easily fit into multiple genres.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 25th August 2011 07:31 AM

My DVDs are still organised alphabetically by title, but my BDs are organised alphabetically by distributor, with a packaging sub-section within each distributor (regular cases/digibooks/steelies etc.).

Looks a lot neater organised by distributor, but finding a certain title could prove difficult once my collection grows (I only have about 160 BD titles at present).

Baseball Fury 25th August 2011 07:35 AM

I'll put up some updated pics soon, in the process of babyproofing the lounge as my kid is on his feet now, so when everything is all sorted I'll get on it!

Hugh 5th September 2011 07:15 PM

Genres and subgenres.

The blu-ray shelves are split into Hong Kong section, vampire section, zombie section with it's own collection of Fulci, Romero. General horror, arranged so that the Arrow Argento set run into the Fulci, Romero Arrows.

Same with the DVD's, A hong kong section, zombie section, a vampire section, general horror, action, animation, comedy, TV stuff.

Couldn't cope with my DVDs and Blus (And HD-DVDs :blush:) in alphabetical order. Wouldn't want to re-arrange everything each time I bought a new disc, but would go nuts if my CD collection wasn't alphabetised by artist and year of release. :crazy:

Andre 6th September 2011 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 176620)
I'll put up some updated pics soon, in the process of babyproofing the lounge as my kid is on his feet now, so when everything is all sorted I'll get on it!

Know what you mean, my Son is up and walking since last month.
Had to build everything in:ballchain: I organize everything on genre, sub genre, then alphabetically