Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   Just how do YOU organize yours? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/2185-just-how-do-you-organize-yours.html)

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 10th January 2010 06:42 PM

Just how do YOU organize yours?

So we all luvdvds on this forum! We're mad for them. In fact, I'm sure most off you would sell a sibling just to get that ultra special DVD (I know I would!) but just how do you organize it?

- Alphabetically?
- By year released?
- By date bought?
- Color?
- Label?
- Great Vs. Crap?
- Certificate?

Mine are all alphabetical at the mo - but I'm thinking of having a huge change around. But there's always so many exceptions! Where do boxsets go if ordered by year? If alphabetical where do numbers go? Color? Don't even get me started! :laugh:

So, just how are your DVDs organised?

Stephen@Cult Labs 10th January 2010 07:07 PM

Mine are organised in a disorganized way.For example all my Steven Seagal films are together,likewise other action fims and actors,all my Shameless/Arrow films are together and the rest are all over the place.Probably the reason I can never find anything half the time.

Kyle 10th January 2010 07:10 PM

at the moment i have all mine alphabetically apart from a few exceptions....

all new buys are together, i watch them then add them to the rest
tartan asia extreme collection is all together in no order yet :eek:
shameless collection all together
toetag pictures all together
steelbooks are together
limited edition/special boxes are together

DeadAlive 10th January 2010 07:19 PM

Strangely enough, I've organised all of my Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan and Sammo Hung collections by year of original film's release, and my other Asian films into genre: Shaw Brothers, Kung Fu, comedy, horror, gunplay etc, but the rest of my DVDs are pretty random. I just remember where everything is. I should have more organisation with them but I just can't be bothered. Maybe it comes down to the Asian films are mine only as the Mrs has no interest.

AshtonLamont 10th January 2010 07:23 PM

mine (as well as ceedees, vinyl and comics) are listed autobiographically.

Ash

BioZombie 10th January 2010 08:06 PM

My favourite directors all have their own section then after that it's by genre horror then Zombie then Kung Fu then action then scifi then comedy

and of corse mixing film and tv is an unthinkable crime

pedromonkey 10th January 2010 08:31 PM

book case No.1

mine starts with sci-fi movies down to bond then i have trilogys and sagas but star wars is mixed into sci-fi then war movies and loose hitchcock title. mainly the warner ones.

book case No.2

starts with Horror movies down, shameless and arrow are seperate, stephen king movies. Hong Kong/Asian cinema then action.

Book case No.3

continuing Action, then onto crime, then westerns and ending with stand up, Mel Brooks and Peter sellers movies.

above book case No.1 are boxsets.
above book case N0.2 are tins and south park seasons 1 - 12
above book case No.3 are Comedy. snap cases and Spider-man delux trilogy.

That's how i put my dvds. im quite anal with alphabetising them, they are strict alpha....Ab, Ac, Ad, ect...

Stephen@Cult Labs 11th January 2010 02:50 PM

Think I'm going to have a little bit of an organize,probably put them all into genre,label,series,and believe it or not,spine colour for the ones that aren't part of a series of films.

vincenzo 11th January 2010 02:52 PM

Alphabetical order. Ditto for videos, vinyl, CDs, books etc.

pedromonkey 11th January 2010 03:17 PM

my cds are stacked on top of each other in no order whatsoever.

Daemonia 11th January 2010 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds (Post 57164)
I'm sure most off you would sell a sibling just to get that ultra special DVD (I know I would!) but just how do you organize it?

Go to Angola, meet a slave trader, arrange the sale, tell your sibling you've booked them a holiday in Angola as a treat, to get them there under false pretences - and General Ububu will be waiting to meet them off the plane. Job done. Now you've got money for that Special Edition.

Oh....sorry....I thought you wanted to know how to organize selling a sibling.... :lol::lol:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 11th January 2010 06:48 PM

I organise my movies alphabetically (which is becoming more and more of a pain in the ass as my collection grows...) on two large bookcases (each one fits about 600 DVDs). I've recently filled them though, so my collection has now overspilled into a glass fronted cabinet in the same room, which (currently) is pretty empty.

I also organise my TV DVDs alphabetically (but these are kept separate) in another glass fronted cabinet along with Music DVDs, VHS (I only have two left now! :biggrin:) and my 1 (:lol:) Blu-Ray. I have a fair bit of animated TV, so I separate that from any other TV.

It sounds pretty well organised, but I think I'm going to have to find a better and more long-term solution soon, as I'm running out of room. Plus, if I buy a movie beginning with 'A' it takes me a good hour to shelf it! :eek: Which is why I tend to wait until I've got a pile, and then do them all at once.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 11th January 2010 08:02 PM

I'll get round to it someday.I used to do it by label,but just now they're all a riot!:doh:

gag 12th January 2010 01:52 AM

I have certain companies films eg vipco tartan shameless etc etc together
Box sets films with sequels etc together
Bits of owt and nowt tv etc together and if i have a lot of a certain director then there alll put together then the rest r done alaphabeticaly

Pete 12th January 2010 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds (Post 57164)
So we all luvdvds on this forum! We're mad for them. In fact, I'm sure most off you would sell a sibling just to get that ultra special DVD (I know I would!) but just how do you organize it?

- Alphabetically?
- By year released?
- By date bought?
- Color?
- Label?
- Great Vs. Crap?
- Certificate?

Mine are all alphabetical at the mo - but I'm thinking of having a huge change around. But there's always so many exceptions! Where do boxsets go if ordered by year? If alphabetical where do numbers go? Color? Don't even get me started! :laugh:

So, just how are your DVDs organised?

With the exception of Shameless, Arrow, Vipco and X-Rated, I put all my dvds in alphabetical order.

I keep all my tv/football dvds separate from the other dvd's.

I have loads of VHS tapes but they are all in boxes becuase I cant find anywhere to put them.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 12th January 2010 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loops (Post 57360)
With the exception of Shameless, Arrow, Vipco and X-Rated, I put all my dvds in alphabetical order.

I keep all my tv/football dvds separate from the other dvd's.

I have loads of VHS tapes but they are all in boxes becuase I cant find anywhere to put them.

I'm thinking about separating my X-Rated Kult titles too loops. :nod:

Be nice to have them all together! :biggrin:

Daemonia 12th January 2010 11:49 AM

There is absolutely no order to my collection at all, they're all just on shelves randomly - but, I do know where everything is. :)

Besides, when people have a look at my collection they're amused to see stuff like Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory sitting next to Cannibal Ferox. :D

Vampix 12th January 2010 12:12 PM

Same goes for me.I really can't be arsed to sort my collection into alphabetical order or whatever.Wherever I stack them that's where they stay. :)

Gigantor 12th January 2010 03:02 PM

I'm very unorganized I have Asian ,Non Asian ,Watched ,Unwatched,To be watched pile and just bought Sections

Stephen@Cult Labs 12th January 2010 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 57377)
when people have a look at my collection they're amused to see stuff like Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory sitting next to Cannibal Ferox. :D

The look on their faces must be priceless :lol:

Daemonia 14th January 2010 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevoj (Post 57465)
The look on their faces must be priceless :lol:

Indeed they are, but usually too polite to mention it....

Splatterdragon73 31st January 2010 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 57293)
I used to do it by label

That's exactly how i store my DVDs and the ltd. ed. gift/box sets i keep seperate. My steelbooks are all together too.

Imo there's a certain 'symmetry' or 'order' in displaying your DVDs according to what label they're on.
My collection looks so much neater and tidier when the likes of all my ABUS, ABUK, HKL, BU, SS and AWE (among many other DVD distributors) titles are placed together. The spines all match up and i feel more comfortable keeping my collection this way.:)

When i first started buying DVDs back in '98 i initially tried displaying them all assorted and disorderly and i hated it.:(

BioZombie 31st January 2010 10:49 AM

I have real trouble deciding how to organise my dvds. I have been reading this thread and have put some in distributer order now (anchor bay, arrow, shamless, hkl). But the perfect system, one that desnt leave anything unsorted (I can't bear to break up some of my director collection so a-z is out of the question) still elludes me.

Some one needs to ivent a dewey decimal system for dvds.

vipco 1st February 2010 03:40 PM

Im kinda ODCish with mine, I keep my VIPCO, Shamless and ARROW collections together, I then store the rest of my dvds by genre,/sub genre, ie Zombie, Cannibal, Slasher etc.
I also collect certain Directors and store titles that way, ie Lenzi, Fulci , Deodatto etc.

I store my box sets seperately by genre/sub genre in order of preference .

My BluRays I also store seperately by genre/sub genre .

Any VHS titles I usually store by genre, ie Zombie, Slasher etc.

This system usually means I have to buy some titles maybe 3 times, (different versions) but its the only system that I can live with.
I check the whole collection once every week to make sure they're still in order. I think its something that started when I took ill.

Wolf 1st February 2010 05:04 PM

Wow, that's pretty thorough Vips.

My collection aint that huge and I'm really lazy so it's usually in barely any order at all if i'm honest.

Arrrrrrrach 1st February 2010 06:08 PM

I really need to do this, but first I need more shelving/bookcases and space for 'em! At the moment, the only order I have is Shameless and Arrow together, all the rest I can never find!

Rob Strange 1st February 2010 09:20 PM

Alphabetical. Allowing sequels with non-matching initial letters to be grouped, eg. the Vengeance trilogy. I mix blu-rays and dvds, so I don't develop too big of a prejudice against SD!

Sorting by genre's too complex and time-consuming (I might throw all the horrors together for fun). Not sorting at all's not really an option.

pedromonkey 1st February 2010 09:34 PM

all mine are sorted by genre, i found it easier to do than by company. i hused to have them by color, that was rediculous.

Rob Strange 2nd February 2010 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 60991)
i hused to have them by color, that was rediculous.

Wow! That must have been a sight for sore eyes! :lol:

Someone Weird 3rd February 2010 10:03 AM

My Redemption VHS' are stashed in a cupboard at my parents house.

My DVD-R's are all kept in plastic wallets and shoved in a shoe box in my room in no order (which makes it a pain finding a particular title but I can't be arsed to arrange it any other way). I have a bunch of box sets and comedy series in the front room, along with a couple of shelves of other DVD's (MGM/Warner/Anchor Bay/Criterion/BFI etc), and the rest/bulk of my collection (Severin/Blue Underground/Media Blasters and so on) are boxed up and stacked on top of each other in the corner of another room.

mbv 3rd February 2010 11:34 AM

Only labels I organise by are Shamelss/Arrow, Tartan
Others are sorted by director or series(F13, Halloween etc)
I also have a very top shelf :blush: of Russ Meyer and the more extreme movies(Toetag, Guinea Pig, Nekromantik etc) just to keep out of sight from the kids!
The rest of the stragglers are sorted by genre(Classic horror, slasher, vampire etc)

Wife thinks I'm f***ing mental but there is a method to my madness...somewhere there!

creadishcread 6th February 2010 10:57 AM

By label, with the exception of boxsets, tins and other fancy things which don't fit nicely on the shelf, and TV/standup which I keep separate from 'proper' films.

Looks much nicer imo!

Splatterdragon73 6th February 2010 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creadishcread (Post 61787)
By label, with the exception of boxsets, tins and other fancy things which don't fit nicely on the shelf.

Looks much nicer imo!

A man after my own heart and they say great minds think alike!:thumb:

Storing my DVDs this way just looks so much more 'structured' and striking imo. Rather than having an uneven hodgepodge of releases displayed in no apparent order whatsoever.:)

42ndStreetFreak 6th February 2010 01:45 PM

Genres and sub-genres and then sometimes genres by country (as in 'Brit Horror' and 'Euro horror') and also by topic in genre (like terrorist/siege action films, or Cop action films).

Sometimes by director sometimes by star, but these two often get separated too (as in a Charles Bronson Western will be in 'Westerns'...not alongside "Death Wish")
And of course series (as in Romero's zombie films).

Ken 10th February 2010 09:54 AM

Just received my replacement studs in the door (postie) for my Shelves, So i can now get my DVD's back on the shelf after losing the old ones whilst boxes were in storage, due to House Mod.
Problem is i usually display A-Z, Now im gonna try something different whilst i have them all off shelf. Im gonna categorise them in Genre and see what they look like... God help me :lol: I'll add some photo's later to show results (in Show us Yours). :blush:

Stephen@Cult Labs 10th February 2010 11:06 AM

I really need to get more organized.You know you have a problem when you look for a film and after a while decide that you've mysteriously lost it when you can't find anything!

Splatterdragon73 12th February 2010 12:17 PM

I've bought and boxed up so many DVDs over the last few years that i now have trouble remembering which titles i do and don't have!

I can't wait to get my own place so i can store these digital delights on shelves!:)

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 19th March 2010 10:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
What do you think about this idea?

Ages ago a member on here posted pictures of spines he had made for some of his dvds and they looked really good.

Sooo, I had a go myself at designing some spines - they're really easy to do.

But if you could (forget how long it will take, how much paper and all of that) would you like to have all your dvds (with a few exceptions like Arrow and Shameless and maybe even Vipco for example) look like this, all uniformed and neat, or is that just a bit too OCD?!

I think they look pretty good especially when you compare it to dvds that have the film's title on the spine in really small or unreadable (from a distance) font. Plus it'll be much easier to organize etc.

What do you think?

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/m...123/spines.jpg

Phats 19th March 2010 11:25 AM

I would comment on your image there iluvdvds but photobucket is blocked at work so I can't see it. :doh: I'll have to have a butch later on.

I arrange my DVDs by horror, comedy, tv shows, stand-up and then the rest, all categories in alphabetical order. However, I don't have a great deal of space for storage so they end up in growing piles around my room. My blurays are all just in alphabetical order but soon I may have to think about putting them in genres as I've just passed the 100 mark. :woot: I realise this probably isn't much of a milestone for many on here but I'm still going to celebrate. :woot:

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 19th March 2010 11:31 AM

Ah right - whoops! I've put it as an attachment to now :)

So you're going down the genre then alphabetical route eh? Nice! :thumb: Seems to be the most popular. That and just randomly putting them on the shelves :laugh: