Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   COLIN: The £45 zombie movie. (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/3551-colin-%C2%A345-zombie-movie.html)

Mahoney32 11th September 2010 02:40 AM

COLIN: The £45 zombie movie.

Just wondering what you all thought of the British low budget zombie flick, COLIN.(Made with a budget of £45)
Personally, I could only sit through forty five minutes of this film, a pile of old ball bags if you ask me...

In one scene, a pair of extremely dim survivors, talk about stealing a pair of trainers off the feet of a zombie they see walking along. (Colin)

Are they too thick to realise, that they can just simply loot the nearest FOOT LOCKER, or sports shop!
You have to see this film to believe it, trust me on this...;)

Mahoney32 11th September 2010 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahoney32 (Post 101283)
Just wondering what you all thought of the British low budget zombie flick, COLIN.(Made with a budget of £45)
Personally, I could only sit through forty five minutes of this film, a pile of old ball bags if you ask me...

In one scene, a pair of extremely dim survivors, talk about stealing a pair of trainers off the feet of a zombie they see walking along. (Colin)

Are they too thick to realise, that they can just simply loot the nearest FOOT LOCKER, or sports shop!
You have to see this film to believe it, trust me on this...;)

The first forty five minutes I mentioned above, felt like two hours. Forgot to mention that earlier.

DeadAlive 11th September 2010 06:11 AM

For low budget film making I thought Colin was pretty good. It wasn't what anyone could call well acted and the story could have been tighter but on the whole I enjoyed it. I'm probably a bit more forgiving because it is a film made by dedication rather than a major studio. I would go as far to say that I enjoyed it a lot more than Romero's Survival Of The Dead.

Mahoney32 11th September 2010 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadAlive (Post 101292)
For low budget film making I thought Colin was pretty good. It wasn't what anyone could call well acted and the story could have been tighter but on the whole I enjoyed it. I'm probably a bit more forgiving because it is a film made by dedication rather than a major studio. I would go as far to say that I enjoyed it a lot more than Romero's Survival Of The Dead.

Better than SOTD? Interesting. Not so sure about that myself. Each to their own I guess. I think i will try and force myself to watch the remaining forty five minutes of COLIN. Then I will post about it later on sometime. High praise goes to the director of COLIN, for having the balls to actually take this film to Canne.
He must be supremely confident, with big brass balls, no doubt about that!
Maybe he should join forces with the boys over at TROMA....

COLIN VS TOXIE!!! The budget could get doubled to £90 for this...;););)

DeadAlive 11th September 2010 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahoney32 (Post 101293)
Better than SOTD? Interesting.

I personally preferred it, yes. When you look at the budget and end result, penny for penny, the money on Colin was better spent. But hey, that's just my opinion. As crazy as it is. :fear: :loco:

Mahoney32 11th September 2010 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadAlive (Post 101296)
I personally preferred it, yes. When you look at the budget and end result, penny for penny, the money on Colin was better spent. But hey, that's just my opinion. As crazy as it is. :fear: :loco:

We're practically drowning in extremely low budget zombie movies these days, I don't understand what makes COLIN so special, compared to all the others?
A STINK OF FLESH comes to mind, from the writer of action flick DRIVE.
If the £45 budget had not been mentioned, then I don't think the film would have seen the light of day. Whoever marketed this film, did a good job, thats for sure...
thumbs up from me...

Playzocker 11th September 2010 12:27 PM

I don't like movies that look amateurish and while having some decent ideas, COLIN was just one hell of a boring film for me ...

BioZombie 11th September 2010 05:36 PM

I really liked Colin a lot. The scene in the flat with the horde of zombies was fantastic. Not quite sure what as going on in the cellar scene though.

Im looking foward to see what the director will do with a bigger budget.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 11th September 2010 05:41 PM

I liked it. A lot.

Mahoney32 11th September 2010 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioZombie (Post 101368)
I really liked Colin a lot. The scene in the flat with the horde of zombies was fantastic. Not quite sure what as going on in the cellar scene though.

Im looking foward to see what the director will do with a bigger budget.

THE CELLER SCENE: I think that guy was a serial killer maybe, and the zombies in the basement were his victims that had come back to life. Some sort of Fred West type idiot.
Or he stashed the zombies in the basement for some extremely sick, sexual reasons maybe. Something like that anyway. Wouldn't dwell on this for to long really.

Mahoney32 11th September 2010 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Playzocker (Post 101326)
I don't like movies that look amateurish and while having some decent ideas, COLIN was just one hell of a boring film for me ...

We can forgive a film looking amateurish, if the story is engaging, with a good script, and great performances. But for me COLIN had none of this. Like I said earlier, I could only sit through half the film. I was bored to point of almost collapse, while watching this I'm afraid. A lot of people said that the film THE ROAD was slow, but that was a quality movie...

Mahoney32 11th September 2010 06:59 PM

Im looking foward to see what the director will do with a bigger budget.[/QUOTE]

I can agree with that for sure. I'm curious to see what the makers of COLIN can achieve with a bigger budget, in the future too. I'm up the challenge...The way I see it, is that I've already taken one hell of a beating with COLIN, which means I can take pretty much anything thats thrown at me now! I've gone beyond the pain barrier... COLIN 2? Do your worst!!! LOL ;):lol:

DeadAlive 11th September 2010 08:59 PM

£45.

I'm sure no one actually takes that as a true figure.

It may have been a few pence either way. ;)

I can't seriously see a Colin 2 ever surfacing though. He'd expect to be paid a second time around.

BioZombie 11th September 2010 09:04 PM

Aparantly Marc Price the director of Colin has been given a bigger budget to do a WWII horror called Thunderchild.

Marc Price Goes to War with Thunderchild | Horror Movie, DVD, & Book Reviews, News, Interviews at Dread Central

Mahoney32 11th September 2010 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadAlive (Post 101414)
£45.

I'm sure no one actually takes that as a true figure.

It may have been a few pence either way. ;)

I can't seriously see a Colin 2 ever surfacing though. He'd expect to be paid a second time around.

Exactly! I heard somewhere that the films budget was more likely to be closer to £200! This I can believe.
Well, yeah, it's probably for the best that theres no COLIN 2 I suppose...
He's had a good run for his money has Ol' COLIN. Hey, give it ten or fifteen years, and there's the possibility of a "COLIN RESURRECTION"!!
The possibilities are endless in movie-land as you know...

Mahoney32 11th September 2010 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioZombie (Post 101415)
Aparantly Marc Price the director of Colin has been given a bigger budget to do a WWII horror called Thunderchild.

Marc Price Goes to War with Thunderchild | Horror Movie, DVD, & Book Reviews, News, Interviews at Dread Central

Hey, thanks for the link, will check it out. Love any sort of new movie news me...

Mahoney32 11th September 2010 10:27 PM

For those out there that like COLIN: Well, I think a film such as COLIN is alway's destined to have a MARMITE effect on most people out there. You're either going to love it, or you're gonna hate it. Just the way it goes sometimes...
Personally, I was hoping for a lot from this film, heard some good feedback on it.
Was ultimately unmoved by it. Still own the dvd though, and intend to solider on through it eventually...A few stiff drinks should do it...

Mahoney32 15th September 2010 04:08 AM

Still haven't watched the rest of this film yet. Will do soon, cos I want to milk this thread a little more, and talk about the films second half, and climax etc...

PaulD 22nd September 2010 06:25 PM

I wasn't too impressed with it which was a shame as I was really looking forward to watching it when I heard about it.

Overall I just thought it didn't work - it was often slow and boring and showed why although it might seem like it at the time, making a zombie film from the zombie's point of view doesn't lead to a compelling story. I did like the way the beginning and end of the film matched up and I did admire the low-budget independent aspect of it, but overall I just didn't enjoy it.

I'd be interested to hear how the £45 budget was calculated though. Even though it did look cheap I have a hard time believing that no more than £45 was spent.

Mahoney32 22nd September 2010 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 104089)
I wasn't too impressed with it which was a shame as I was really looking forward to watching it when I heard about it.

Overall I just thought it didn't work - it was often slow and boring and showed why although it might seem like it at the time, making a zombie film from the zombie's point of view doesn't lead to a compelling story. I did like the way the beginning and end of the film matched up and I did admire the low-budget independent aspect of it, but overall I just didn't enjoy it.

I'd be interested to hear how the £45 budget was calculated though. Even though it did look cheap I have a hard time believing that no more than £45 was spent.

£45? I think that was just the beer money mate...lol

stefanmetal 23rd September 2010 10:26 AM

A stink of flesh is good, but colin sucked balls.

Mahoney32 24th September 2010 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stefanmetal (Post 104250)
A stink of flesh is good, but colin sucked balls.

A guy that can tell the difference between a good and bad movie. I salute you Sir. Some of the previous posts must have been from Mark Price's friend's and family! lol

DeadAlive 24th September 2010 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahoney32 (Post 104485)
A guy that can tell the difference between a good and bad movie. I salute you Sir. Some of the previous posts must have been from Mark Price's friend's and family! lol

Or maybe just someone with a different opinion. Last time I checked we were still all entitled to them. Right or wrong. ;)

And hey! No relation or buddy connection here.

Mahoney32 24th September 2010 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadAlive (Post 104493)
Or maybe just someone with a different opinion. Last time I checked we were still all entitled to them. Right or wrong. ;)

And hey! No relation or buddy connection here.

Why don't you get yourself a sense of humour? And a thick skin while you're at it?
I developed these basics years ago, plus you shouldn't feel so threatened. Did you make this movie? Like the dude said, "COLIN sucks balls"...

Inspector Tanzi 24th September 2010 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 104089)

The camera would have cost more than that!

DeadAlive 24th September 2010 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahoney32 (Post 104500)
Why don't you get yourself a sense of humour?

I just did. It cost me £45.

PaulD 24th September 2010 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Tanzi (Post 104531)

Wasn't the £45 budget for the camera alone? I think it was shot on video using a camcorder although I'm not 100% on that - that would have kept the cost down I guess.

I have the single-disc dvd of this film, which includes a director's commentary. I might give it another go with the commentary on, just out of an interest in low-budget film-making.

Mahoney32 25th September 2010 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Tanzi (Post 104531)

There's rumour that the films budget was more likely to be around £200. the £45 thing was probably just a marketing gimmick, to get the media, and the distributors interested while Price was in Canne with it...
Plus, he probably had that camera already, regardless of whether or not he was going to make a film. I'm surprised they managed to make a two disc set out of this film? I've got the single disc edition, which cost me around £7 at Tesco. It's helping to keep my kitchen door open at the moment. Got it jammed under there. Though I am planning to watch this once more soon. I wonder what was on the second disc then? I've seen a lot of zombie films in my time, but I just couldn't sit through this one. I found it so boring, I could not stop yawning. Had to turn the film off half way in, and had to take a nap for a few hours. I was f**ked, to say the least...
Don't let these posts put you off from watching this film, if your curious about it. Some of you out there, may enjoy COLIN. just try and stick with it, I guess. Have a few beers ready on stand-by, And some Pringles maybe. Whatever it takes basically...

Mahoney32 25th September 2010 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadAlive (Post 104546)
I just did. It cost me £45.

That was a complete waste of your money then, wasn't it? lol

Mahoney32 25th September 2010 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahoney32 (Post 104709)
That was a complete waste of your money then, wasn't it? lol

A STINK OF FLESH was a lot of fun. Very low budget, and very cheap looking, But it was a very entertaining zombie film. It has a sense of fun and humour about it, and they all looked like they had a lot of fun making it. The film features a relative of Gunnar Hanson, who plays some kind of BASKET CASE style Duane Bradley character. There's also a female zombie with green skin and totally nude, chained up in the shed. The film focuses on a MAD MAX type drifter, who is fully tooled up, and capable of dealing with the zombie filth. He eventually meets up with a bunch of other survivors, and together, they try to overcome their situation. (Remind you of anything else?)
I came across this film down my local Pound-shop one day, along with AXE, and HITCH HIKE TO HELL, amongst a couple of others. Worth a look if you like your zombie films...

BioZombie 25th September 2010 09:31 AM

Reguarding the 45 pound budget. I belive Marc Price is a film production lecturer. I imagine he borrowed all of the equipment from the place he teaches.

Also according to the commentry he roped in all of his students to do all the crew work for free.

But I still doubt it was all done for the amount he says.

Mahoney32 25th September 2010 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioZombie (Post 104730)
Reguarding the 45 pound budget. I belive Marc Price is a film production lecturer. I imagine he borrowed all of the equipment from the place he teaches.

Also according to the commentry he roped in all of his students to do all the crew work for free.

But I still doubt it was all done for the amount he says.

Hey, thanks for posting this info, it brings some new light to the story for sure.
What your saying here, I can believe. I've heard a few similar stories like this, in the past, to do with other movies. The talk of the budget being only £45, has got to be a load of horse-crap. If they made the whole film in one afternoon, then maybe a budget of £45 could be almost possible. But it's doubtful. It's got to be purely a gimmick. If the guy is a film lecturer, then you would think that he would of came up with something better than COLIN? His students should think about demanding a full refund from their university! lol. That scene with the two guys debating whether or not to mug "Colin the zombie" for his trainers, has to be seen to be believed. And the sequence with the "Tobin" style serial murderer, with the zombie chicks in his basement, is a laugh riot too. But honestly, I believe that budget of £45, just covered one evenings beer-money.
Plus, DV tapes are not exactly on the cheap side either. It all builds up, penny after penny, pound after pound. The gig would have cost more than that for sure....

MatOfTheDead 28th September 2010 07:34 PM

ive not seen colin but i can vouch for the stink of flesh its a excellent movie

Mahoney32 29th September 2010 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MatOfTheDead (Post 105361)
ive not seen colin but i can vouch for the stink of flesh its a excellent movie

THE STINK OF FLESH:

It would have been even better, if they had a decent budget to back it up.

Mahoney32 6th December 2010 05:59 AM

I still haven't watched the remaining half of Colin yet. I need someone to literally tie me to the sofa, and actually place the disc in the dvd tray, before finally pressing play. Then I will watch it for definite. wait and see. Or stay tuned...

pedromonkey 6th December 2010 08:10 PM

i don't know what all the hype about this film was. It looked and sounded like someone's home video that you'd see on You've Been Framed. Didn't like it at all.

Mahoney32 7th December 2010 03:25 AM

Possibly the worst £7 that I ever spent, down at Tesco's.

And this dude teaches film or whatever, at a university?!

Mahoney32 7th December 2010 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 115762)
i don't know what all the hype about this film was. It looked and sounded like someone's home video that you'd see on You've Been Framed. Didn't like it at all.

Yeah, but without Harry Hill's excellent voice-over.

zombiekiller 12th November 2013 12:08 PM

I hated Colin, it was really long, boring and uninspiring.

Stumbled across this film today though on IMDB called Death Walks the trailer makes it look really promising, say's it'd been made for nothing. Don't know when it's being released though!

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th January 2018 01:30 PM

Just noticed this thread.

I found Colin to be almost unwatchable. £45 or £45m it's still awful.