Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   Slice and Dice: The Slasher Film Forever (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/5772-slice-dice-slasher-film-forever.html)

Stephen@Cult Labs 3rd June 2011 03:04 PM

Slice and Dice: The Slasher Film Forever

Posted over at the fangoria site are details of a new and amazing sounding project from frequent Arrow collaborators High Rising Productions (Calum Waddell and Naomi Holwill), entitled SLICE AND DICE: THE SLASHER FILM FOREVER, a feature length documentary, unsurprisingly on the subject of slasher films. Starting life as a 25min featurette and hoping to include it on an upcoming title, it has evolved into a full length piece that should surely delight fans with fond memories of the golden era of the slasher. I'd love to see a company pick this up and give it the release it deserves. With the recent success of several documentaries on the horror genre, SLICE AND DICE sounds like it could be another winner. Click below and head over to Fangoria for more details and a look at the trailer.

SLICE AND DICE: THE SLASHER FILM FOREVER

darthelvis 3rd June 2011 05:40 PM

Just watched the trailer and this looks like it is going to be excellent. Looking forward to seeing Slaughter High with an audience tomorrow and eagerly await the full documentary!

Jealous that you met the legend that is FELDMAN!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 3rd June 2011 06:05 PM

Good luck with this Calum and Naomi!:clap:

Stephen@Cult Labs 3rd June 2011 06:21 PM

It looks fantastic. And can't wait until we can all see the full thing.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd June 2011 06:26 PM

Can it really be better than Going to Pieces - The Rise and Fall of the Slasher film?

Calum 3rd June 2011 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 155511)
Can it really be better than Going to Pieces - The Rise and Fall of the Slasher film?

You've not read the article linked to above have you? :doh:

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd June 2011 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calum (Post 155516)
You've not read the article linked to above have you? :doh:

Have now, thats fair enough. :)

Glad you rate Going to Pieces too.

Calum 3rd June 2011 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 155519)
Have now, thats fair enough. :)

Glad you rate Going to Pieces too.

Uhm... yeah, a very valued friend of mine produced it.

Stephen@Cult Labs 3rd June 2011 06:47 PM

A question for you Calum, or those who watched the trailer, which film is the scene from where the guy had his face sliced off?

Calum 3rd June 2011 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 155524)
A question for you Calum, or those who watched the trailer, which film is the scene from where the guy had his face sliced off?

Hatchet 2. :)

Stephen@Cult Labs 3rd June 2011 06:53 PM

Thanks Calum! :cool:

Splatterdragon73 4th June 2011 09:16 AM

SAD:TSFF looks very entertaining judging by the trailer and it's safe to say here's another winning documentary on the way. Can't wait to see it!:rockon:

Calum 4th June 2011 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 (Post 155624)
SAD:TSFF looks very entertaining judging by the trailer and it's safe to say here's another winning documentary on the way. Can't wait to see it!:rockon:

Thanks fella. We also made a conscious decision to have no critics in this thing: it is all directors or actors in this puppy.

In the meantime, the trailer is also now on youtube:

YouTube - ‪Slice and Dice - The Slasher Film Forever trailer.mov‬‏

Pete 4th June 2011 12:36 PM

Seeing J S Cardone on there really makes me wish someone would do a decent edition of THE SLAYER.

Stephen@Cult Labs 4th June 2011 09:57 PM

Hopefully, when the doc is picked up and becomes a success, companies will see that there's a demand from fans for the old school slashers like The Slayer. I'm sure they already know, but a reminder from something like Slice And Dice would certainly make them take a bit more notice.

darthelvis 5th June 2011 06:17 AM

I've watched the trailer a few times now and it looks like it will kick ass. It would be awesome to see this get a full DVD release and some screenings around the UK.

I'm sure Calum & Naomi must have hours of materials/outtakes to put together a shit hot special edition!

Calum 7th June 2011 10:52 AM

Ace genre magazine SCI FI NOW has this to say:

Slasher Cinema – Documented | SciFiNow

Retroslashers:

Trailer To Slice & Dice: The Slasher Film Forever

We also have 300 hits on youtube in just 48 hours. Please keep spreading the word guys! :cool:

mercury 7th June 2011 12:30 PM

This does look very interesting Calum. I applaud the decision to have actors and directors in this:clap: We all watch films and are in essance critics ourselves, so to hear the opinions from those involved in the makings of the films we love is more valuable to me. That being said there are some great critics out there who are fans so no disrespect:)

Have you approached any distributers yet Calum? Or are you just trying to see what the public interest is first?

Calum 7th June 2011 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury (Post 156335)
This does look very interesting Calum. I applaud the decision to have actors and directors in this:clap: We all watch films and are in essance critics ourselves, so to hear the opinions from those involved in the makings of the films we love is more valuable to me. That being said there are some great critics out there who are fans so no disrespect:)

Have you approached any distributers yet Calum? Or are you just trying to see what the public interest is first?

Yes we have distributor interest. So you'll definitely see this, that's not a concern!! :)

Most critics love speaking on camera - and some are great at it too!! Our challenge was chasing after all the filmmakers - and trying to find ones that hadn't been in a lot of things!! It might sound super-culty but I'm thrilled to bits we have Patrick Lussier and J.S. Cardone in there.

And Corey Feldman ;)

Splatterdragon73 17th June 2011 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calum (Post 156337)
Yes we have distributor interest. So you'll definitely see this, that's not a concern!!

Greatly reassuring to hear and any serious, self-respecting slasher film fan will simply have to own this title in their collection. No doubt there's plenty of stalk 'n' slash spectators here, myself included, who will be only too happy to invest in a copy of SAD:TSFF. In my case, make that two copies. You know what i'm like!;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th April 2012 10:25 PM

Any updates on this?

Its nearly ten months since it was announced.

Demoncrat 5th April 2012 09:40 AM

great to see "Angela" in there, kudos Calum!!

Pete 6th April 2012 06:10 AM

I spoke to Calum last night and he said if all goes to plan it'll be out in October.

darthelvis 6th April 2012 08:12 PM

October can't come quick enough! Watched the trailer quite a number of times now and looking forward to see the full thing! Need more horror documentaries, found out about a lot of great films via documentaries!

Splatterdragon73 21st April 2012 10:57 AM

Yep, roll on October. What with the relevant documentary hopefully slashing it's way on to shelves by then and the end of Summer, onset of Autumn i'll be a happy bunny indeed.:)

Criterion7 17th May 2012 05:33 AM

I cannot wait to see this. I'm a huge slasher fan and I love film documentaries . Hope this goes as epic as Never Sleep Again!

helene 18th May 2012 10:26 PM

"The body is not a temple. The body is meat."

Nice.

Calum 19th May 2012 10:30 PM

Hoping to be able to confirm this one's release soon!! Watched the rough cut just recently and very happy with it :)

PaulD 19th May 2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calum (Post 243417)
Hoping to be able to confirm this one's release soon!! Watched the rough cut just recently and very happy with it :)

Really looking forward to this!

Calum 28th June 2012 05:05 PM

I've posted some new screen grabs from SLICE AND DICE over at our facebook page! Let us know if you guys like the look of this...

Welcome to Facebook

ispydork 9th July 2012 03:26 PM

Looks low budget but good! The video keeps skipping for me :( But I'm excited to see it!

James Morton 9th July 2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 155511)

thats an excellent slasher documentary
hope this new one is just as good or better :)

Calum 10th July 2012 07:15 PM

Final list of interviewees is on imdb. We added three new faces recently to fill in some gaps and to make this just that wee bit better!

Slice and Dice: The Slasher Film Forever (2012) - Full cast and crew

Looking forward to getting it done. We're almost there. This has been a two year labour of love!

darthelvis 27th August 2012 04:02 PM

Slice & Dice Review

I first heard about the project from High Rising Productions after seeing a teaser trailer for this on YouTube several months ago. The teaser contained enough clips from the documentary that it sparked my interest and I was eager to see the finished film. Fortunately, I got to see documentary yesterday at the Glasgow Film Theatre with 15 or so other local critics. The version we saw was not the finished doc as it still has a few tweaks to be done.

Was the film worth the wait? Absolutely, the documentary is obviously a labour of love for all involved. Interviews with the likes of Patrick Lussier, Scott Spielgel, Tobe Hooper, Felissa Rose, Emily Booth, Adam Green and Corey Feldman take us through the genesis of the sub-genre and through the rules of the ‘Slasher’ movie, onto the Final Girl. The animation in the opening credits and throughout the film are beautifully executed and the music by the Acid Fascists fits in perfect with the subject matter.

The documentary covers all the films that defined the ‘Slasher’ genre and what helped it become a household name, along with a number of the lesser known titles, which this reviewer is now going to be seeking out. It has ignited my desire to see more ‘Slashers’ and as discussed in the film the hope for modern horror to return to making original movies rather than retreading old ground with remakes.

Congratulations have to go out to High Rising Productions for their hard work and dedication to the genre and for delivering a documentary that would sit perfectly on my shelf next to my other horror documentaries. Now it's time to finish my slasher screenplay with the hope it makes Slice & Dice 2.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 29th August 2012 07:09 PM

I've just seen Slice and Dice as I was unable to get the screening at the GFT and Calum kindly sent me a screener. I was really impressed by its construction, the quality of the interviews and range of interviewees.

It's certainly something worth your time, money and attention and I wish High Rising Productions the very best when securing distribution.

Pete 1st September 2012 04:13 PM

I saw this last week in Glasgow and it was very good. It was shot for next to no money but is really well done and has some great talking heads like Tobe Hooper, JS Cardone (The Slayer), Norman Warren, Corey Feldman & more.

Calum 2nd September 2012 01:53 PM

From HYSTERIA LIVES!

Just watched an advance copy of SLICE AND DICE: THE SLASHER FILM FOREVER. The AMAZING slasher movie documentary from the good folks at High Rising Productions. This really is THE slasher doc to end all slasher docs!

And yes I know Justin Kerswell is a friend - however he never saw a second of it until it was complete and he approached this doc as a stranger.

Want proof?

Another pal of mine also wrote a review for Eye for Film and she never went the full five stars. So I've not pushed anyone into writing anything. Just asked them to write what they think, as any good critic will:

Slice And Dice: The Slasher Film Forever (2012) Movie Review from Eye for Film

Rik 2nd September 2012 02:18 PM

Really looking forward to seeing this, from what I've read from the guys on here that have seen it, it seems like you've done a stellar job in creating a really good documentary, definite day one purchase from me.

Calum 2nd September 2012 03:37 PM

News on our world premiere and another mega-film fest screening soon! Hold tight!!

"Watching this, you wouldn't know it was made as a side project in between making featurettes and writing booklets and articles to pay the bills and with no money..."

Slice and Dice: The Slasher Film Forever Review | Film365

Stephen@Cult Labs 2nd September 2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calum (Post 270378)
News on our world premiere and another mega-film fest screening soon! Hold tight!!

"Watching this, you wouldn't know it was made as a side project in between making featurettes and writing booklets and articles to pay the bills and with no money..."

Slice and Dice: The Slasher Film Forever Review | Film365

What do you mean "mega-film fest"? Florence?