Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   KILL LIST/BEN WHEATLEY THREAD (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/7525-kill-list-ben-wheatley-thread.html)

nekromantik 25th January 2012 12:48 AM

I rewatched this and it is very good movie!
I after first viewing in cinema was a bit confused but that article does make sense and after reading that and watching it again it did make more sense.

EMcG 25th January 2012 05:31 AM

Am I the only one who thinks that the cult see Jay as the coming of a new King Arthur?

Lots of heraldic imagery, sword fighting, shields and a puppy to be called Arthur or Gwennie. Lancelot had designs on Arthur's missus, Guinevere. As did the Irish hitman on his partner's wife.

Jay gets his gun from his wife - like Arthur received his weapon from the lady in the lake.

The Irish hitman is even called called GAL = Galahad.

SPOILER - At the end the new King gets his crown.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th January 2012 08:48 AM

That's a really interesting question. Including the commentaries, I've seen this four times and should really watch it again having read the various theories to see which one makes the most sense.

gheebee 25th January 2012 05:46 PM

I assume this is the case but just to be sure I'll ask here since this is the only forum I'm on that has any real discussion about this movie: there is no official explanation of the movie, right? Those articles linked earlier as well as anything else I'm likely to read did not originate from the filmmakers and are just speculation?
Anyone know if anyone has actually asked the writer, director, or whoever to explain the movie and where I might read this explanation? I read an interview with the director not too long ago but it really didn't tell me much. :/

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th January 2012 06:26 PM

You're right, there is no official explanation and everything posted on the Internet is from fans. Ben Wheatley, a bit like David Lynch with his films, won't give an official explanation, so read various opinions and watch it again to make up your own mind - that's what I intend to do!

gheebee 25th January 2012 06:33 PM

Ugh, I was afraid this was the case. :/ Thanks for the response though!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 25th January 2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EMcG (Post 211495)
Am I the only one who thinks that the cult see Jay as the coming of a new King Arthur?

Lots of heraldic imagery, sword fighting, shields and a puppy to be called Arthur or Gwennie. Lancelot had designs on Arthur's missus, Guinevere. As did the Irish hitman on his partner's wife.

Jay gets his gun from his wife - like Arthur received his weapon from the lady in the lake.

The Irish hitman is even called called GAL = Galahad.

SPOILER - At the end the new King gets his crown.

Another great theory!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 25th January 2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 211648)
You're right, there is no official explanation and everything posted on the Internet is from fans. Ben Wheatley, a bit like David Lynch with his films, won't give an official explanation, so read various opinions and watch it again to make up your own mind - that's what I intend to do!

Except Wheatley's has a bit of a story to it......:lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th January 2012 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 211692)
Except Wheatley's has a bit of a story to it......:lol:

You jest, but half the fun is working out what the likes of Mulholland Drive and Lost Highway are about and then re-watching them to see if your theory fits!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 25th January 2012 07:14 PM

Oh no-not for me.

Eraserhead and the likes has me reaching for the paracetamol!