Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   Amicus - The (other) Studio That Dripped Blood (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/8186-amicus-other-studio-dripped-blood.html)

DrTerror 9th March 2012 09:30 PM

Amicus - The (other) Studio That Dripped Blood

25 Attachment(s)
The Amicus Poll (with thanks to Reaps' Ultimate Hammer Poll for the inspiration).

Vote for your favourite Amicus film - only one vote per person, so choose wisely. (I've left off the completely non-genre films - It's Trad, Dad!, Just for Fun and A Touch of Love).

Also, what are your memories of seeing these films; were you lucky enough to have seen any on original release, do you have fond memories of seeing them as a kid (as I do), or do you just not like them at all?

All comments gratefully received...

RedEyeTheCylon 9th March 2012 09:53 PM

Very difficult to choose! As much as I love the anthology films, I had to pick Daleks - Invasion Earth 2150 A.D. . Must have seen it over 50 times now but it's still one of my favourite sci-fi films and it's responsible for making me a fan of Doctor Who.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 9th March 2012 09:58 PM

A very difficult decision indeed... but, I think The Skull just edges it for me.

VicDakin 9th March 2012 10:01 PM

Tales from the Crypt (1972)

3 Attachment(s)
Just luv Tales from the Crypt (1972),can't remember when i first saw it,must of been the beeb's double bill on sat nite,but it has always stuck with me,especially Peter Cushing as Arthur Edward Grimsdyke (segment 3 "Poetic Justice"),one of his finest moments on screen.

the blob 9th March 2012 10:31 PM

Tough as hell this one. Asylum, House That Dripped Blood, Dr Terror's and Tales From The Crypt are pretty much on a par for me. If I really had to pick one it would probably be Tales. Not a weak story in it.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th March 2012 10:43 PM

Not sure Amicus actually claim the Dalek films are theirs. Aaru Productions are the proper producers and although they are Amicus by any other name, the company (Amicus) are not credited as so.

I only watched Daleks Invasion Earth 2150AD last night again actually.

Pedantic git aren't i.

the blob 9th March 2012 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 223179)

I only watched Dakeks Invasion Earth 2150AD last night again actually.

Pedantic git aren't i.

Who are the Dakeks then when they're about?

Even more of a pedantic git I am. :D

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th March 2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the blob (Post 223183)
Who are the Daleks then when they're about?

Even more of a pedantic git I am. :D

Don't know what you mean Blob. :happy:

:doh:

Daemonia 10th March 2012 01:40 PM

From Beyond the Grave for me. It's one I caught on BBC1 back around 1985 and I loved it and have ever since.

I was lucky enough to catch The Land That Time Forgot, At the Earth's Core and People That Time Forgot on the big screen upon their original release. Good times. Although I did start to form the idea that Doug McClure was in every film ever made. :lol:

Nordicdusk 10th March 2012 02:19 PM

I Monster for me just great film. Its very hard to pick from such a great list but that just sticks out for me.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 10th March 2012 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicDakin (Post 223172)
Just luv Tales from the Crypt (1972),can't remember when i first saw it,must of been the beeb's double bill on sat nite,but it has always stuck with me,especially Peter Cushing as Arthur Edward Grimsdyke (segment 3 "Poetic Justice"),one of his finest moments on screen.

Likewise.
The best segment ever in an Amicus anthology.

I love them all though!

One of Cushing's finest turns.

A Classic by any standards!

DrTerror 10th March 2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 223318)
The best segment ever in an Amicus anthology.

Sure, everybody likes Poetic Justice - still, I have to make a counter argument for The Man who Collected Poe from Torture Garden.

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th March 2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrTerror (Post 223338)
Sure, everybody likes Poetic Justice - still, I have to make a counter argument for The Man who Collected Poe from Torture Garden.

I always thought Torture Garden was terrible and have never bothered with it on dvd.

Does it need re-evaluating?

DrTerror 10th March 2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 223339)
I always thought Torture Garden was terrible and have never bothered with it on dvd.

Does it need re-evaluating?

I think it's worth re-watching for the final story - other than that, you've got Enoch (gold-digger falls foul of man-eating cat - kinda similar in feel to the David Warner story in From Beyond the Grave), Terror Over Hollywood (starlet discovers Hollywood stars are robots - embarassingly bad, but still fun) and Mr Steinway (killer piano - one of the worst stories ever put to film).

Worth seeing, just speed through the third story.

Vampix 10th March 2012 08:58 PM

It's got to be Tales from the Crypt for me too, as has been said the segment "Poetic Justice" is superb.The scene where Peter Cushing's zombified corpse rises from a fog-enshrouded graveyard oozes atmosphere.My second favourite is From Beyond the Grave.They're both classics of the genre IMO, and would both easily make my Brit horror top 10. :nod:

SharonLynette 16th June 2012 10:17 AM

Tricky, I can't pick between;

Torture Garden (1967)
Asylum (1972)
Tales from the Crypt (1972)
The Vault of Horror (1973)
From Beyond the Grave (1973)
...And Now the Screaming Starts (1973)

Which is a super long list. I do love a good portmanteau though, but "...And Now the Screaming Starts" is such a good title, this isn't my only reason to short list it. I think I might have to go with Asylum though as I have fond memories of it and I'm really looking forward to watching it again now I have a copy.

Demoncrat 16th June 2012 10:23 AM

So i'm the solitary Deadly Bees fan then? Twas a hard choice really, great posters btw, love that Psychopath one ;);)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 16th June 2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 250753)
So i'm the solitary Deadly Bees fan then? Twas a hard choice really, great posters btw, love that Psychopath one ;);)

Don't worry; I seem to be the sole Skull fan! ;)

SharonLynette 16th June 2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 250754)
Don't worry; I seem to be the sole Skull fan! ;)

I just don't seem to have seen either of them, they do appear to come in a set together though. They will have to go on my list.

I really liked The Birthday Party which I don't think anyone else would vote for (I voted for Asylum in the end)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 16th June 2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 250757)
I just don't seem to have seen either of them, they do appear to come in a set together though. They will have to go on my list.

If you're set up for it, then there is a nice Blu-ray available (as a double feature with Hammer's The Man Who Could Cheat Death) dirt cheap on Amazon marketplace.

SharonLynette 16th June 2012 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 250765)
If you're set up for it, then there is a nice Blu-ray available (as a double feature with Hammer's The Man Who Could Cheat Death) dirt cheap on Amazon marketplace.

I haven't worked out if I can unlock my blu-ray player yet :mmph:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 16th June 2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 250783)
I haven't worked out if I can unlock my blu-ray player yet :mmph:

No need: It's region free! :)

SharonLynette 16th June 2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 250787)
No need: It's region free! :)

ah, I just read it a A/1 region being North America, I still haven't got used to the whole blu-ray region thing, is it the same as dvd? aaahhhh why do we even have to have region locking? It's just all too much.

Stephen@Cult Labs 16th June 2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 250788)
ah, I just read it a A/1 region being North America, I still haven't got used to the whole blu-ray region thing, is it the same as dvd? aaahhhh why do we even have to have region locking? It's just all too much.

Greed on the part of the people who own the films. Pure and simple.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 16th June 2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 250788)

Amazon aren't to be trusted when it comes to posting correct region info, unfortunately.

Yeah, region locking is annoying, but the price of a region free machine is pretty cheap nowadays. I don't think I'd be able to handle being region locked again!

As for the quality, it's pretty good; especially for the price.

Here's a review: The Skull / The Man Who Could Cheat Death Blu-ray

SharonLynette 16th June 2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 250791)
Amazon aren't to be trusted when it comes to posting correct region info, unfortunately.

Yeah, region locking is annoying, but the price of a region free machine is pretty cheap nowadays. I don't think I'd be able to handle being region locked again!

As for the quality, it's pretty good; especially for the price.

Here's a review: The Skull / The Man Who Could Cheat Death Blu-ray

I think I'll give it a go. I have always bought cheap multi-region machines in the past, still holding on to the multi region dvd player as well as my multi-region video player - still holding on to a video of The Cramps live at Napa State Mental hospital - should just get a dvd copy and dump the bulky machine!

But for me getting a blu-ray player was an early investment just last year I didn't even think of multi-region. Saying that I have seen a lot more region free out than in the early years of dvd.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 16th June 2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 250796)
I think I'll give it a go.

I hope you enjoy The Skull - it's brilliantly daft, and Cushing and Lee are on top form, playing off of each other.

Quote:

I have always bought cheap multi-region machines in the past, still holding on to the multi region dvd player as well as my multi-region video player - still holding on to a video of The Cramps live at Napa State Mental hospital - should just get a dvd copy and dump the bulky machine!

I still have two VCRs - mainly as a means to play my Front Line Assembly - Live Wired VHS. :D

Quote:

But for me getting a blu-ray player was an early investment just last year I didn't even think of multi-region. Saying that I have seen a lot more region free out than in the early years of dvd.

The format started out well, with only a few studios locking their releases, but recently it seems that a lot of distributors are going (or being forced) backwards and starting to lock more releases: possibly due to the format getting more popular, and subsequently license holders becoming more greedy as Stephen mentioned above. Or, it could just be me being cynical and paranoid. ;)

SharonLynette 16th June 2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 250801)
I hope you enjoy The Skull - it's brilliantly daft, and Cushing and Lee are on top form, playing off of each other.

I still have two VCRs - mainly as a means to play my Front Line Assembly - Live Wired VHS. :D

The format started out well, with only a few studios locking their releases, but recently it seems that a lot of distributors are going (or being forced) backwards and starting to lock more releases: possibly due to the format getting more popular, and subsequently license holders becoming more greedy as Stephen mentioned above. Or, it could just be me being cynical and paranoid. ;)

I wouldn't blame you for being like that, I am. I'm completely convinced everything is set up to squeeze as much money out of us poor saps. I rarely buy a dvd above £10 though, I'm just cheap.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 16th June 2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 250802)
I wouldn't blame you for being like that, I am. I'm completely convinced everything is set up to squeeze as much money out of us poor saps. I rarely buy a dvd above £10 though, I'm just cheap.

The sad thing is; you're highly likely to be right. I try not to spend more than £5 on a DVD, although when it comes to BD I'll happily order a Criterion at £20 :loco:

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th June 2012 02:14 PM

The Skull is an excellent film, as is The Man Who Could Cheat Death.

the blob 16th June 2012 05:14 PM

I'm a Skull fan. It just plays like a long segment of one of their good anthology stories. Admittedly in my case, it could be absolutely crap and I'd still like it just because it has Cushing and Lee in the same scene.

Vampix 16th June 2012 06:55 PM

As well as Tales from the Crypt and From Beyond the Grave, I'm also a big fan of: Asylum, The Vault of Horror, The House That Dripped Blood, Madhouse, The Beast Must Die, ...And Now The Screaming Starts, and The Skull.

Pete 16th June 2012 09:05 PM

Got to be honest, I much prefer Amicus to Hammer.

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th June 2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 250952)

No....

Do not rise..... to this.... slander

Count to ten....1...2.....3....4....5.....

:D

DrTerror 16th June 2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 250952)

You and me both Pete.

the blob 16th June 2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrTerror (Post 250975)
You and me both Pete.

Do I detect some bias? Is the Crypt Keeper going to reply next?

DrTerror 16th June 2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the blob (Post 250976)
Do I detect some bias? Is the Crypt Keeper going to reply next?

Absolutely not - all fair and above board here, guvnor.

the blob 16th June 2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrTerror (Post 250977)
Absolutely not - all fair and above board here, guvnor.

No more train journeys for me....

bgart13 4th August 2012 12:13 AM

Anyone get the new THEY CAME FROM BEYOND SPACE dvd?

demonknight 4th August 2012 10:46 AM

i'm a big horror anthology fan so i would go for either asylum or tales from the crypt.both excellent.