Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   The Hammer Collection Box Set (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/9063-hammer-collection-box-set.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 5th July 2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 255338)
Indeed. A revelatory sick puppy it is......now Demons of the Mind...:(;)

I wonder if we'll ever see the uncut version? I think the scenes in question may be lost forever... :(

Daemonia 5th July 2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricky Chad (Post 255251)
It really is a stunning box set. I haven't watched all the films yet, but was blown away by The Nanny. A wonderful film. Wasn't mad on Quatarmass and the Pit. I really did cringe at the SFX. I know it was a long time ago and I know it as a huge following but it didn't work for me.

I can feel Daemonia reading this and grinding his teeth.

Hahaha. No, I'm not grinding my teeth - I've no teeth left after grinding so much, so I'm mashing my gums instead. :lol:

I can certainly appreciate that the FX are a bit dated by today's standards, but the story is an intriguing one and the performances and direction are top notch. I really should pick up the Optimum BD.

the blob 5th July 2012 12:20 PM

So did anyone pay over £100 for it?

I had the R1 Anchor Bay versions of all but the prehistoric / fantasy titles and The Nanny. Then when the price of the box dropped and the AB discs shot up I started selling those with the intention to buy this. Still haven't done it but rebought some of the R1 AB discs cheap and now they've gone again with all the Blu-Ray's upcoming. I feel like i've been buying and selling Hammer DVD's for years!

the blob 5th July 2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 255372)
I really should pick up the Optimum BD.

It's amazing! It's also an example of why I find it hard to keep rare discs, especially when short of cash. To think I sold the old crusty non-anamorphic ABUS DVD for around £50 - 60 and now I have a glorious HD transfer complete with the commentary. :)

re.form 5th July 2012 05:53 PM

£100? Hell no! About £20 from HMV brand new a couple of years ago.

the blob 5th July 2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by re.form (Post 255443)
£100? Hell no! About £20 from HMV brand new a couple of years ago.

I think it was selling at around £120 on first release from what I can remember.

Susan Foreman 5th July 2012 06:24 PM

I got the Hammer box set in 2008. At the same time, I also got the 'Hitchcock Collection box set', which contained another 14 films

However, the Hitchcock thing was much more enjoyable because each of the DVD's of the films included in the set (The Birds, Family Plot, Frenzy, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Marnie, Rear Window, Saboteur, Shadow Of A Doubt, Topaz, Torn Curtain, The Trouble With Harry, Rope, Vertigo and Psycho) is filled with special features

the blob 5th July 2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 255459)
I got the Hammer box set in 2008. At the same time, I also got the 'Hitchcock Collection box set', which contained another 14 films

However, the Hitchcock thing was much more enjoyable because each of the DVD's of the films included in the set (The Birds, Family Plot, Frenzy, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Marnie, Rear Window, Saboteur, Shadow Of A Doubt, Topaz, Torn Curtain, The Trouble With Harry, Rope, Vertigo and Psycho) is filled with special features

But can you really beat a cardboard box with a cross on it?

Daemonia 6th July 2012 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the blob (Post 255467)
But can you really beat a cardboard box with a cross on it?

Yes. Two cardboard boxes with crosses on them!

Demoncrat 6th July 2012 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apep (Post 255551)
There's also a small box, with 5 movies I believe.

Yes, it's worth it as well, even if it is like a "promo" for the big one, any collection with Q&TP is worth it IMO.