Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Horror Stars & Directors (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=544)
-   -   Favourite & Worst Horror Director - and why? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/horror-stars-directors/1544-favourite-worst-horror-director-why.html)

gag 23rd July 2009 04:44 PM

Favourite & Worst Horror Director - and why?

Who is your favourite and worst horror director and and Y?

Mine David cronenberg... Dario Argento..comes a close 2nd
The only David cronenberg films i havent seen are stereo...,crimes of the future... and spider... so maybe some could tell me if there any good but every single 1 he has made have is truly amazing or gr8

Naked lunch is so wierd and bizzare

Videodrome is a fantastic film

Rabid and Shivers r very early ones but still pretty decent to watch today
same goes for The Brood...

The fly just a classic film

I even dont mind Eastern Promise and History of Violence even tho they arent horrors....only thing i wasnt keen on in H O V i felt the build up everything was good.. but the ending was over to quick as if it hadnt even started blink and u missed most of it

Also must not forget existence dead zone as well he just seem to have a knack of making some of the most wierd and bizzare films

MY most over over rated is lucio fulci sorry chaps and lasses :laugh:
granted there quite a few of his i havent seen..

Manahatten baby did i blink or miss something in this film but by time it ended i was still waiting for it to start a total YAWN zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz FEST

LLizard in a women skin.... just a rubbish film

Four of the apocalypse just pretty dull realy didnt do owt for me

I thought cat in the brain was just dam crap in every single sense
felt it was pain stacking to watch

Sweet house of horrors another pants films just plain rubbish

Dont get me wrong he has made some excellent films
City ofthe living dead
Beyond
House by the cemetery etc etc even tho H B T C is good but over rated

Dont get me wrong all im saying is i think he is over rated IMO

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 23rd July 2009 09:47 PM

VERY hard one this.
Off the top of my head,I'd have to go for PETE WALKER.

Worst.....?
Again off the top of my head,David Paulsen.
Jess Franco has also made an incredible amount of bad films.....

vincenzo 23rd July 2009 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 35228)
Jess Franco has also made an incredible amount of bad films.....

Absolutely agree.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 23rd July 2009 10:08 PM

Don't get me wrong Vince,I've dozens of his films,that said,mostly unwatched,as it's an acquired taste and mood thing.
The only films of his I've enjoyed so far are...DEVIL HUNTER,BLOODY MOON and THE FEMALE VAMPIRE.

Make Them Die Slowly 23rd July 2009 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 35238)
Don't get me wrong Vince,I've dozens of his films,that said,mostly unwatched,as it's an acquired taste and mood thing.
The only films of his I've enjoyed so far are...DEVIL HUNTER,BLOODY MOON and THE FEMALE VAMPIRE.

Totally agree that Franco is an acquired taste and mood thing,I can only watch his films if I'm very relaxed and let the films wash over me.That said,I've enjoyed ever one I've seen.

I've really gone off Romero in recent years,and find all his zombie films a chore to watch.I find his politics so sixth form that they insult me.Also can't he do something bloody different once in a while.

Cronenberg is my fave director.

Kyle 23rd July 2009 11:40 PM

some of my favs are

David cronenberg: for the same reasons as gag really
miike takashi: awesome bizzare films
fred vogel: for my hit of the sick and twisted
shinya tsukamoto: strange but beautiful films

and i can only think of one i hate

uwe b:tape:ll: my reason, just watch any of his films and youll see, the only one that isnt really awful is seed but its still not great

gag 24th July 2009 06:18 AM

There probably is worse directors than than Lucio Fulci like u mention jess franco, but the only reason y i havent put other directors down is for the simple reason i havent seen to many of there films to make that judgement ...Im just going by what directors films i seen...

Pete 24th July 2009 11:26 AM

Love:

Lucio Fulci ( ZFE, The Beyond, Duckling need i say more? )
Jess Franco
John Carpenter ( All of his films up until the 90's are brilliant )
Norman Warren
Roy Ward Baker
David Cronenberg
Wes Craven ( Hills Have Eyes, Freddy but his recent stuff is crap )
Antonio Margheriti ( this guy is sorely under repressented on dvd )
Massimo Dallamano
Bruno Mattei
Ruggero Deodato
Sergio Martino
Mario Bava

Meh ( not sure weather i like or dislike ):

Lamberto Bava ( Macabre, ABITD and Demons are excellent but the rest of his stuff is crap )
Brian Yuzna
Umberto Lenzi
George a Romero ( Day of the Dead is - in my opinion, the finest american horror of the last 30 years. not sure about his other work though )
Joe D'amato
Dario Argento ( Bird, Cat, Deep Red and Tenebrae are good but the rest meh! )
Jean Rollin ( Facination is Good most of his other stuff though is zzzzzzzzzzz )

gag 24th July 2009 11:49 AM

Strange how ppl taste in films, directors, etc r dif

how loops likes jess franco but few of the above arent keen on him
ppl like Argento but loops doesnt ...I like Argento enjoyed the films ive seen not many of his i havent seen.. but like any other director if they make quite a few films some will always be bit of hit and miss

I agree not much of a fan of yunza....

i got and seen a few of mike takashi and ive enjoyed what i seen even tho there loads of his i havent seen but then again he does have a stack of films behind him

Frank henenlotter a bit of hit and miss even tho he hasnt that many films to his name But Basket case (not the sequels) and Brain Damage r 100% cult classic films tho

Pete 24th July 2009 11:55 AM

I dont dislike Argento, i just think he is way overrated. I havent seen that many Miike films so didnt put him on the list, but the ones i have seen i enjoyed.

I lkie Franco because he does what he wants and dont give a shit what anyone thinks.

TALL DUDE 24th July 2009 12:58 PM

Fulci would maybe just win it for me,with his zombie quadrilogy from the late 70's,early 80's,although i really rate don coscarelli as a director.Granted,he aint done much,but he did give us the brilliance that is phantasm,still my fave film of all time,hands down. Aint seen nothing like it before or since(apart from the sequels of course.)

Also early cronenberg(up to the fly remake) is brilliant,videodrome is still in me top ten flicks of all time.

Worst...franco certainly comes to mind,although there are a few of his films i dont mind watching,but most are so mind numbingly dull,that franco collection-vol.2 comes to mind. Awful!

tobiaswragg 24th July 2009 03:58 PM

I must say that the AB Franco Vol. 2 box set is one that I get a lot of enjoyment out of, although one perhaps has to be in the right frame of mind (i.e. horny).

Favourite horror director would be Andy Milligan. I adore the uber-theatrical, schizoid, jarring, no-budget ambiance of his period Gothic grotesqueries in particular.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 24th July 2009 06:10 PM

Love:

Dario Argento (not a fan of some of his later efforts - but his earlier stuff more than makes up for it)
Mario Bava
John Carpenter
Ruggero Deodato (have yet to dislike any of his films)
Terence Fisher
Robert Fuest
Lucio Fulci (ditto Argento)
David Cronenberg
Umberto Lenzi (some of his '80's stuff is a bit dodgy... but his earlier gialli are excellent)
David Lynch (not strictly a horror director... but almost all his films feature aspects of horror IMO.)
Sergio Martino
Jean Rollin (:p to you loops! :jest:)
Michele Soavi
Norman Warren

Hate:

Uwe Boll (the awful Seed, the terrible Alone in the Dark.... :mad2:)

Undecided:

Lamberto Bava (loved Blade in the Dark, Demons, Macabre but... Body Puzzle? The Torturer? :mmph:)
Jess Franco (Great to abysmal scale: :coolblue:Bloody Moon---:)Exorcism---:shocked:Succubus - there are a fair few Franco's I haven't seen plus others that I think are okay like Cannibals and Venus in Furs)
George A. Romero (Out of the Dead's: Night is a classic, Dawn is good even though it seems a bit long and drawn out in places, Day is okay, Land is a bit dull, Diary I thought was pretty good. Martin is excellent, Crazies is fun but not great IMO, Creepshow is ace, Two Evil Eyes is okay.)

Vampix 25th July 2009 06:01 PM

Love:
John Carpenter
Lucio Fulci
Stuart Gordon

Like:
George Romero (mainly for Night, Dawn, Day of the Dead & Creepshow)
Tobe Hooper (mainly for TCM, TCM 2, Salem's Lot, Eaten Alive & The Funhouse)
Ruggero Deodato
Brian Yuzna (mainly for Bride of Re-Animator, Society, Return of the Living Dead III & The Dentist)
Dario Argento
David Cronenberg
Joe D'Amato
Terence Fisher
Roy Ward Baker
Freddie Francis
Eli Roth
Peter Jackson (for Bad Taste, Meet the Feebles, Braindead & The Frighteners)

Meh:
Wes Craven (I only really like Last House on the Left & A Nightmare on Elm Street)
Sam Raimi (I only really like the original Evil Dead, can't stand Evil Dead II or Army of Darkness)

Peter Neal 29th July 2009 04:44 PM

Best?

I guess I return to my earliest influnences and vote for the powerhouse director that once was JOHN CARPENTER, with "In the Mouth of Madness" being his very last masterpiece.:coolblue:

Worst?

Kim Henkel for insulting my bad eye vision with his "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The next Generation":mad:
I'm usually a crap sequel completist, but this one stays out of my house for good!:behindsofa::faint::rip:

abaddon 14th August 2009 02:31 PM

Favourites: Jess Franco, Terence Fisher, Mario Bava, Lucio Fulci, Jean Rollin
Worst: Jess Franco, Herschell Gordon Lewis

Most Franco movies tend be either all time favourites (Venus In Furs, Vampyros Lesobs, Vrgin Among The Living Dead, She Killed in Ecstacy, both Eugenie movies, Auwful Dr. Orloff) or reall snooze-fests, so I've included him in both categories. Tried quite a few HG Lewis movies and the only one I though any good was The Gore Gore Girls.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 14th August 2009 06:16 PM

David Lynch is another director whose films I just can't get into.Eraserhead was just inexplicable,and I can't see what all the critical acclaim over Blue Velvet was.Wild at Heart,one of his more 'mainstream' movies was okay IMO.Definetly an acquired taste.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 14th August 2009 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 37980)
David Lynch is another director whose films I just can't get into.Eraserhead was just inexplicable,and I can't see what all the critical acclaim over Blue Velvet was.Wild at Heart,one of his more 'mainstream' movies was okay IMO.Definetly an acquired taste.

Blue Velvet and Eraserhead are class, mate! :coolblue:

Have you watched Twin Peaks? (the series and the film - they're probably the most accessible of all of Lynch's work - and fantastic IMO). My favourite Lynch is still Lost Highway though. :behindsofa:

vincenzo 14th August 2009 09:08 PM

Quote:

Definetly an acquired taste.

I feel the same Reaps. I liked The Elephant Man but that's about it for me.

BioZombie 15th August 2009 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye
My favourite Lynch is still Lost Highway though

Thats my favourite as well bizarre, a while back i got to see it on the big screen at the prince charles cinema in london (think it was a double bill with Brazil) and it was fantastic. Though I do really like Wild at Heart too.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 15th August 2009 03:40 PM

The Elephant Man was a work of art.
I have TWIN PEAKS Fire Walk With Me....but it remains unopened....

mbv 19th August 2009 07:37 PM

Fave director is David Lynch
Wild at heart is my all time fave movie. Love the way his movies really **** with your head.

Others...
John Carpenter(Halloween, the fog, The thing,Escape from new york)
Lucio Fulci(The beyond, City of the living dead, new york ripper,House by the cemetery, cat in the brain, zombie)
Wes Craven(Last house on the left, nightmare on elm st,hills have eyes, serpent and the rainbow)
George A Romero (All the dead movies except Land, Creepshow, crazies, martin)

xxsic4slipknotxx 19th August 2009 07:50 PM

I think one that's obvious to me and to some of us horror fans: Uwe Boll. Sorry, but his films are really bad to me and I just can't watch them. I consider him the Edward D. Wood Jr. of today, only he has a cult following of being hated! :laugh:

At least with Wood you had a cheesy quality to them. Bolls films don't have that, or least the ones I've seen, since they're taken so seriously!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 19th August 2009 08:06 PM

You're not wrong there XX.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 19th August 2009 08:07 PM

[QUOTE=mbv;38739]Fave director is David Lynch
Wild at heart is my all time fave movie. Love the way his movies really **** with your head.

You're gonna love FOOTPRINTS then mate,if you've not already seen it....

xxsic4slipknotxx 19th August 2009 08:19 PM

Quote:

I love David Lynch as well. You ever catch Inland Empire, it's the longest David Lynch mind-**** film made so far. Plus, the choice to use digital cameras I think really added to the experience of it all!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 19th August 2009 08:23 PM

No,I never mate.
I've seen Eraserhead,Blue Velvet and Wild at Heart,which I couldn't get into.
I own Mullholland Drive and Twin Peaks,but ain't ever watched 'em.
As I say The Elephant Man is the only film of his I've loved.
I can understand why people like that sort of film though.
At the end of the day,everything's down to personal taste I suppose.:)

mbv 19th August 2009 08:30 PM

Took me a few times to watch Inland Empire..really ****ed with my head. Loved it though.

Looking forward to Footprints, will no doubt have to order it online as they are a pox to try and buy here.

As for Uwe Boll, I can proudly say I have not seen any of his movies and don't want to!!

James Morton 27th August 2009 10:19 AM

best and worst directors

Dario Argento is my fave horror director, other directors I like are

gag 28th August 2009 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 39536)

dario argento 1of my fav but just slightly after cronenberg

tobiaswragg 28th August 2009 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 39536)

Come on James don't keep us in suspense!

gag 28th August 2009 01:16 PM

He been watching to many argento films and like to keep ppl in suspense till later :laugh:

argentofan35 15th October 2009 09:32 AM

Favourite and worst horror film director?.....this is a great question.

My favourite horror film directors are:

Dario Argento (You just have to watch films like Suspiria,Deep Red and Tenebrae to see why)
Mario Bava(Bay of Bllood is fantastic)
John Carpenter(Halloween..need i say more)
Takashi Shimizu(watch Audition...it is one of the best horror films of the last 20 years)
David Cronenberg(his early stuff like Shivers and Rabid is brilliant)
and
Lamberto Bava(as good a director as his dad...i mean Macabre and Knife in the Dark are great films...even though the latter is a homage to Tenebrae in my view)

My worst horror film directors are:

Lucio Fulci(The Beyond and City of the Living Dead are good....but the rest...give me a break)
and
Norman J Warren(He made a film called Terror in the late 70`s....it is one of the worst horror films i have ever seen)

Well that`s my opinon....

James Morton 15th October 2009 12:20 PM

'Favourite & Worst Horror Director - and why?'‏

My fave horror film director of all time is Dario Argento, I have all his films, TENEBRE being the best.
Others include Lucio Fulci, for THE NEW YORK RIPPER, THE BEYOND etc, Mario Bava, A BAY OF BLOOD the original slasher movie, Lamberto Bava, DEMONS & DEMONS 2, John Carpenter, for the best non-CGI horror THE THING, Ruggero Deodato, CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST and Michele Soavi, STAGEFRIGHT and DELLAMORTE DELLAMORE, David Cronenberg. SHIVERS, RABID, THE FLY, VIDOEDROME, George A. Romero for the DEAD films DAWN is my fave, Pitof (he made the fantastic French supernatural horror VIDOCQ, my fave French film.

The worst horror directors are;
Paul WS Anderson for crap like RESIDENT EVIL and ALIEN VS PREDATOR, and he had the moronic view that Romero's DAWN OF THE DEAD was outdated, not surprising he was criticised.
Rob Zombie, for being overrated and yet another remake director. boring.

Gojirosan 15th October 2009 02:12 PM

Favourite? Too many to pick - Cronenberg, Argento, Romero...Carpenter, Fulci and Hooper when on form, Terence Fisher, Soavi, De Palma, Mario Bava...and on

As for least favourite, if I can include him as a "horror" director (he isn't quite, but let's stretch the definition for sake of a rant, eh? :laugh:) then M Night Shymalan. I have loathed all of his films that I have seen. Indeed, "Signs" is my all time cinematic turkey. That this man is constantly given the opportunity to to make films (and high budget films at that!) leaves me reeling with confusion. He is the Michael Bay of fantasy cinema. No, he's far worse than that.

Philleh 19th October 2009 11:17 AM

My established faves are:
Dario Argento
George Ramero
Lucio Fulci
Martin Scorcesse
Sergio Martino
Joe D'amato
Kevin Smith

Newer talent:
Alexandre Aja
Bong Joong-ho
Fabrice du Weiz
Chan Wook-Park
Rob Zombie

Worst:
Uli Lommell
McG
That douche who made the Rush Hour films!

Pete 19th October 2009 11:19 AM

I liked the Rush Hour films!:shocked::o

Philleh 19th October 2009 01:14 PM

Lol, I liked the ACTORS in the Rush House films; the films on the whole suck though. Tell me difference between parts 1 and 3? Except for the actors and the locations! :doh:

alex s 21st October 2009 06:12 AM

favourites
martin scorsese
oliver stone
joe d'amato
rino di silvestre
umberto lenzi
timo rose
sebastian radtke
daisuke yamanouchi
gaira
tamakchi anaru

hates
quentin tarantino
andreas bethmann

fatboyslim142 26th December 2009 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by argentofan35 (Post 44626)
Takashi Shimizu(watch Audition...it is one of the best horror films of the last 20 years)

Takashi Shimizu did not direct Audition idiot it was Tkashi Miike.

Takashi Shimizu is the directo ofthe Ju-on series and various other J-Horror