Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Horror Stars & Directors (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=544)
-   -   The Wes Craven Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/horror-stars-directors/1654-wes-craven-thread.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 4th September 2009 06:40 PM

The Wes Craven Thread

7 Attachment(s)
God,I can't believe there isn't a WES CRAVEN thread on here yet.Old Wes has made some crackers and some cackers in his time.:laugh:

Reckon A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET is bollocks?

Think VAMPIRE IN BROOKLYN is in the same league as Bride of Frankenstein?

Discuss and fight it out here.:woot:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 4th September 2009 06:48 PM

For me,THE HILLS HAVE EYES wins hands down,followed by A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET and LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT.

Kyle 4th September 2009 07:39 PM

i voted last house on the left but the people under the stairs was a close second

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 4th September 2009 07:50 PM

I'm not a big Craven fan but The People Under The Stairs is genius, so that gets my vote. :cool:

mbv 4th September 2009 09:43 PM

Last House for me. Absolutely love this movie.

Original Nightmare is class and by far the best of the series.

Hills have eyes and People under the stairs are also up there in my faves.

Also have a soft spot for Serpent and the rainbow and Shocker.
I watched Deadly friend endless times as I was a huge fan of Kristy Swanson when I was a young hormonal teenager.:blush: Love the basketball death in this.

vincenzo 4th September 2009 10:19 PM

The Hills Have Eyes for me.

gax 4th September 2009 11:44 PM

has to be last house,krug is 1 bad ass mofo

gag 5th September 2009 02:49 AM

A lot of wes craven films are a bit of give and take not good but not bad i like last house on left ... but also thought ppl under the stairs was very good but to me has got to be original hills have eyes without a doubt ..freddy bit pants now and ben milked to the hilt big style that they just ruined it to me

Angel 5th September 2009 05:53 AM

Hills Have Eyes

DeadAlive 5th September 2009 08:51 AM

Those damned all seeing hills. :eyebrows:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 7th September 2009 10:40 PM

Yep Hills for me too.It's raw and brutal,doesn't go too far like LHOTL and that fear of unknown wide open spaces and primitive landscapes makes it a winner.
Ol' Freddy boy shouldn't be knocked for the ridiculous sequels imho,the original was a classic.(With the exception of that ludicrous tacked-on ending.):ack:

spooks 8th September 2009 12:52 AM

oh, never really liked Hills have eyes for some reason that i still can't figure out (maybe I'll give it another try!). I also have a big soft spot for Shocker, its a lot of fun. Likewise Nightmare on Elm street, and i do like the silly ending! and I like all the sequels (some of them more than the original). But Last House takes it for me, love it's rawness and David Hess - well, nuff said!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th September 2009 07:54 PM

Believe it or not,HILLS 2 is a guilty pleasure of mine.....:o

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th September 2009 08:55 PM

One of his worst,I found was SUMMER OF FEAR,a rather bollocks TV movie.:yawn:
Deadly friend,whilst no classic was rather fun.:woot:

Deadly Blessing was not bad.:eyebrows:

Scream as we all know,brought the slasher boom back.:clap:

Shocker was IMHO too much of a Freddy Krueger imitation.....:suspicious:

The People Under The Stairs was nuts!:der:

The Serpent and The Rainbow was another I could never really get into....:yawn:

vincenzo 9th September 2009 10:38 PM

It's astonishingly silly but my guilty pleasure of Craven's is Swamp Thing. :embarassed:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th September 2009 10:39 PM

Well worth it for Ms.Barbeau.......;)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th September 2009 10:39 PM

Hills 2 must be the only film to feature a dog with a flashback.:laugh:

Philleh 10th September 2009 07:41 AM

I went with New Nightmare, I loved how he brought realism to the horror genre in a way that I hadn't seen prior to that film. Also, Freddy looked BAD ASS in this one; it does get a little silly towards the climax, how does she stab him in the eye with a eel? :doh: - but it's forgivable!

It's just a blast watching Rob Englund being Rob Englund, Wes being Wes and even Bob Shaye pretending to be Bob Shaye! Winner.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 10th September 2009 06:56 PM

It was a winner Phill.
Very original twist to the franchise indeed,and after all those stand-up comedian sequels,was a refreshing change.

Philleh 11th September 2009 12:45 PM

Yeah, the Freddy franchise; for me, goes a little somethin' like this:

Nightmare on Elm Street
Nightmare on Elm Street 3
New Nightmare

That's it! :)

vincenzo 24th September 2009 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 41060)
It's astonishingly silly but my guilty pleasure of Craven's is Swamp Thing. :embarassed:

As a footnote the Swamp Thing himself Dick Durock has died at 71. :(

SomethingWeird 5th October 2009 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 41060)

I am unashamed to admit I have a soft spot for that movie. Can't say the same for Shocker though, only thing I liked that involved that movie was the wall clock I had. It had Horace Pinker on the electric chair on one side and the other had the Megadeth, Vic logo.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 5th October 2009 07:16 PM

Watched HILLS 2 the other night again....WOOF!:laugh:

vincenzo 5th October 2009 09:28 PM

It drove me barking mad. :biggrin:

blu 26th February 2011 12:40 AM

As a kid of the 80's I gotta go with A Nightmare on Elm Street.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 22nd March 2011 08:58 PM

Anyone looking forward to SCREAM 4? :woot:

YouTube - Scream 4 - Official Trailer 2 [HD]

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd March 2011 04:36 PM

I've always thought The Serpent and the Rainbow to be very creepy, so it gets my vote.

Not sure why but Freddy never did anything for me.

The Hills have Eyes remakes are better than the original pair imo.

* eg - the remake of the first is better than both the originals, the second remake is better than the original Hills 2 only.

helene 28th March 2011 05:45 PM

I don't think that I can really choose between Nightmare on Elm Street and Scream. There are still lots of films on that list that I've not seen though, but I still refer to him as my favourite (horror) director.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 28th March 2011 06:58 PM

What films you not seen mate?

helene 29th March 2011 04:32 PM

well, these are the ones that i have seen: both HHE, all 3 Scream films, the People under the stairs, Last House..., and of course Nightmare on Elm Street.

You know, out in the "real world" that's enough to be considered a geek ;)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 29th March 2011 06:56 PM

What planet's 'the real world' on?

That's pretty much Craven's important works....what did you make of The Hills Have Eyes Part II?

helene 29th March 2011 10:23 PM

It's been a while since I watched it so can't really recall the details right now. I thought the thing with the blind girl was pretty funny though – blind people with 'special powers' obviously being a recurrent theme in a lot of horror type films, and as far as I can remember they all try really hard to pretend her blindness isn't an issue. Then she ends up saving them. I think.

Edit – I'm voting for Scream now because it hasn't got a single vote so far!

Gothicvamp1888 29th April 2011 04:52 PM

I used to be a WC fan, but recently i find his movies aren't reaching the highs they used to get to

i voted last house as my fave as its the most shocking (the remake sucked monkey balls) and Deadly Friend being a close second as i think that was awesome.

But i think the older WC gets the less he makes good movies which is a shame as he made some amazing movies back in the day.

MANIAC 29th April 2011 04:59 PM

Last House On The Left. That's all that needs to be said IMO :clap:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 31st July 2011 07:11 PM

It was really difficult choice, but I went with A Nightmare on Elm Street as, in terms of quality, it's a better made film than The Last House on the Left and it was really a coin toss decision between Nightmare on Elm Street and The Hills Have Eyes.

Daemonia 14th December 2011 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 137914)
I've always thought The Serpent and the Rainbow to be very creepy, so it gets my vote.

Same here and is definitely my favourite film from Craven. It walks a fine line between fantasy and reality, dealing as it does wth an alleged true story. Some of it is a bit hard to swallow - but you know what they say, Ruth is stranger than Richard. Sorry, that's not it.....truth is stranger than fiction! :lol:

So yes, Serpent gets my vote. I do like the Freddy films, they're like panto horror as the series rolls on, and I kind of dig that. Don't know why exactly, but I do.

Pete 7th February 2012 07:32 PM

Found this DEADLY FRIEND gif. while browsing online:

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/a...adlyfriend.gif

Susan Foreman 3rd July 2016 10:54 AM

Together on the big screen at The Regent Street Cinema, London, W1B 2UW on August 17th

A Nightmare on Elm Street (18.30)
The Hills Have Eyes (20.30)

https://www.regentstreetcinema.com/p...on-elm-street/

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 3rd July 2016 04:29 PM

Nice double bill!

Would love to have seen HILLS on the big screen!

gag 26th July 2019 04:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Found this online today about Hills have eyes.

Here why they have a hills have eyes poster in Evil dead the scene

The Hills Have Eyes is admired by fellow horror filmmakers, so much so that one of them—Evil Dead director Sam Raimi—chose to pay homage to it in a strange way. In the scene in which Brenda is quivering in bed after having been brutalized by Pluto and Mars, a ripped poster for Steven Spielberg’s Jaws is visible above her head. Raimi saw it as a message.

“I took it to mean that Wes Craven … was saying ‘Jaws was just pop horror. What I have here is real horror.’”

As a joking response to the scene, Raimi put a ripped poster for The Hills Have Eyes in his now-classic film The Evil Dead (1981). Not to be outdone, Craven responded by including a clip from The Evil Dead in his classic A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984).

And afterwards they hung Freddys glove in the workshed in evil dead 2 it was also included in the cellar in ash vs evil dead