Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Horror Stars & Directors (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=544)
-   -   David Warbeck (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/horror-stars-directors/3041-david-warbeck.html)

wayfarer 16th June 2010 12:22 PM

David Warbeck

Unless he is being discussed elsewhere, I'm surprised that he hasn't got a thread all to himself. He has now.;)

He first graced my telly screen in The Beyond. He had a cool vibe about him and I always liked the ireverrant way he pushed bullets into the barrel of his gun in the hospital lift. His commentary on the DVD is class.

Particular highlights of his career for me are his appearances in the Gui La Testa and The Last Hunter.

Gui La Testa is of course Duck You Sucker, or more commonly known as A Fistful of Dynamite. If you've seen the remastered uncut version, Warbeck's character is incredibly poignant and important.

He was taken from us far too early.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 16th June 2010 09:43 PM

Yeah Warbeck was good,especially in The Beyond and The Last Hunter.
Deserved to have a bigger career than he did.:nod:

mbv 16th June 2010 09:56 PM

In the Beyond the way he keeps shooting the zombies everywhere except the head even though he downed a few by shooting them IN THE HEAD drives me mental everytime I watch it!!!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 16th June 2010 09:58 PM

Yeah he was a good 'tough guy' character actor.:nod:

wayfarer 17th June 2010 07:38 AM

I bought the Shameless releases of The Black Cat and Rat Man yesterday, coincedentally. i've got the Redemption version of Black Cat but never seen Rat Man. the tagline is one of the best I have ever seen! "The Critter from the Shitter":pound:

Wilson Bros 17th June 2010 11:37 AM

Nick & I had the pleasure of meeting him back in '94 and he was a lovely man.

He was a marvelous raconteur, who always had an amusing anecdote or a dry quip for every occasion. Though the audio commentary for The Beyond was essentially recorded on his deathbed - his voice was a tell-tale sign that he was very ill - he was sharp and witty to the end.

He was being seriously considered for the part of Bond when Connery bowed out after Diamonds are Forever, but obviously lost out to Roger Moore. They are both of the same ilk, but for us, Mr Warbeck was the better actor of the two.

His performance in The Beyond is fabulous and he really tears up the screen in The Last Hunter, both movies we love to pieces.:)

Kev W

wayfarer 17th June 2010 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilson Bros (Post 86812)
He was being seriously considered for the part of Bond when Connery bowed out after Diamonds are Forever, but obviously lost out to Roger Moore. They are both of the same ilk, but for us, Mr Warbeck was the better actor of the two.
[/B]

Damn shame! I would have loved to have seen Warbeck as Bond. I think he would have brought something a little deeper to the role than Moore. Not quite so much as Dalton, Brosnan or Craig but the combined swagger and charm of Lazenby (not as bad a Bond as people make out him to be) and a more believable character.

Some argue that Bond is a two-dimensional character. I argue that the Moore era made it that way.

Wilson Bros 17th June 2010 12:06 PM

Lazenby made a damn good stab at Bond - if he had stayed on in the role, he would have been a VERY good one.

Lazenby and Warbeck were both from Australasia, and Warbeck's accent probably wouldn't have had to have been as heavily modulated as Lazenby, because Warbeck was from New Zealand.

Kev W

Peter Neal 17th June 2010 05:15 PM

Warbeck's appearance is about the only thing which made me watch the late (mess of a) giallo "Fatal Frames" to the end.:nod:

He brought a likeable and resourceful presence to his roles.

I'm ashamed to admit that I still haven't watched "Fistful of Dynamite"- despite it sitting on my shelf for the past 5 years...:shocked:

wayfarer 17th June 2010 05:49 PM

Make sure that you've got the reissue of Dynamite Peter (I'm sure you have). Some shops still stock the version before it was restored. I say "Stick it on" Peter. You won't be sorry.

Inspector Tanzi 17th June 2010 10:40 PM

I met him on a couple of occassions and he always had time to talk to you and was polite.

Useless Trivia: Warbeck, Scorsese and myself share the same birthday.

....oh, and Danny DeVito ;)

Splatterdragon73 19th June 2010 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbv (Post 86737)
In The Beyond the way he keeps shooting the zombies everywhere except the head even though he downed a few by shooting them IN THE HEAD drives me mental everytime I watch it!!!

I know the feeling and the S.W.A.T. troopers in Zombie Creeping Flesh do the same thing!

I'd like to see the Warbeck war actioner Tiger Joe on DVD as i've yet to catch this title and enjoyed The Last Hunter.

The former Milk Tray man was also a hoot as expert safecracker and adventurer Rick Spear in Antonio Margheriti's Indiana Jones cash-in The Ark Of The Sun God. Warbeck's referral to co-star John Steiner's character as "you smarmy b******!" remains a laugh!:lol:

Haven't seen The Hunters Of The Golden Cobra for waaaay too long too.

The 4th Fella 25th June 2010 10:18 AM

I'm a newcomer to Mr Warbecks work (and he's become a favourite actor of mine), i'd like to thank the good folks at Shameless for releasing The Black Cat and Ratman (however delightfully sleazy that one is).

1. The Beyond (1981)
2. Ark Of The Sun God (1983)
3. The Last Hunter (1980)
4. The Black Cat (1981)
5. Black Snake (1973)
6. Ratman (1988)

Inspector Tanzi 25th June 2010 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The 4th Fella (Post 88714)
Ark Of The Sun God (1983)

Have you seen the other one, Hunters of the Golden Cobra?

The 4th Fella 25th June 2010 03:30 PM

Sadly, no. I'm having a bit of trouble finding that one.

Splatterdragon73 26th June 2010 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Tanzi (Post 88763)
Have you seen the other one, Hunters of the Golden Cobra?

From what i remember John Steiner's character in this film has more lives than a Cat!

Everytime you're convinced this guy has snuffed it he pops up again! He even puts Jason, Freddy and Michael to shame when it comes to refusal to die!

AOTSG is a total hoot and how about that Matchbox model car chase!?

I'd like to see a Shameless release of Warbeck war effort Tiger Joe. I recall seeing Intervision's pre-VRA VHS tape for rental at a then local branch of Ritz Video (anybody remember this '80s chain of stores?) but i never got the chance to hire the film out.

The Midnight Media booklet David Warbeck:The Man And His Movies is also a good read for fans of the late, much missed actor. He also had a small role as one of Arthur Daley's customers in enjoyable Minder episode 'Second Hand Pose'.

The 4th Fella 26th June 2010 01:43 PM

Sadly, I believe David Warbeck:The Man And His Movies, is long since out of print. But as with his films, i'll keep searching.

Splatterdragon73 26th June 2010 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The 4th Fella (Post 89001)
Sadly, I believe David Warbeck:The Man And His Movies, is long since out of print. But as with his films, i'll keep searching.

Seek and i'm sure ye will find!

Believe me, the above booklet is well worth a read and would've made an ideal addition to The Last Hunter DVD.:)

The 4th Fella 23rd August 2010 12:44 PM

I have it. I actually have a copy of David Warbeck:The Man And His Movies. It came in the post this morning. :)

Splatterdragon73 24th August 2010 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The 4th Fella (Post 98349)
I have it. I actually have a copy of David Warbeck:The Man And His Movies. It came in the post this morning. :)

Good man and i'm sure you'll enjoy it. I certainly did!

Midnight Media are excellent at putting together these small but superb publications and i think DW:TMAHM must surely rank as one of the best the company issued. I've yet to see a disappointing MM booklet.

I also recommend recent releases such as Giallo Scrapbook 1-2 (a third volume is in the works.), Slash Hits 1-3 and Blazing Magnums. All very entertaining to read.:)

wayfarer 24th August 2010 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The 4th Fella (Post 98349)

I was lucky enough to get a copy from an ebay seller a couple of months ago. It makes for a good read. DW is funny in his interviews with the constant use of "Darling". It doesn't fit with his macho on screen presence.;)

The 4th Fella 10th September 2010 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayfarer (Post 98522)
I was lucky enough to get a copy from an ebay seller a couple of months ago. It makes for a good read. DW is funny in his interviews with the constant use of "Darling". It doesn't fit with his macho on screen presence.;)

Yeah, I noticed that. :lol: Also, yesterday, I finally got hold of a DVD copy of Miami Golem, it arrived in the post. It was a bloody nightmare trying to find a copy, but I got one eventually. :)

Vampix 10th September 2010 01:05 PM

I remember reading an article in an old issue of Fangoria on Miami Golem, I hope you enjoy the movie as all I've heard is negative reviews of it.As well as David's roles in stuff like The Beyond, The Black Cat, etc, I also really enjoyed his performance opposite Peter Cushing in Hammer's classic Twins of Evil.

The 4th Fella 18th September 2010 01:47 PM

Well, having seen Miami Golem, I have to say that it was... ok. But not a patch on The Last hunter, The Beyond, Ark Of The Sun God & The Black Cat. Current ranking...

3. David Warbeck
1. The Last Hunter (1980)
2. The Beyond (1981)
3. Ark Of The Sun God (1983)
4. The Black Cat (1981)
5. Miami Golem (1985)
6. Black Snake (1973)
7. Treasure Island In Outer Space (1987)
8. Ratman (1988)
9. Lassiter (1981)
10. Sudden Fury (1997)
11. A Fistful Of Dynamite (1971)

killernun41 19th September 2010 06:39 PM

The Sex Thief is great fun.

The 4th Fella 26th February 2011 09:04 PM

This Monday sees the release of Sudden Fury on R2 dvd. According to Amazon, the extra's are:

Trailer
Outtakes
Deleted scenes
Special FX : Applying the Gore
Photo Gallery
Bitter Vengeance - Sudden Fury is based on characters in short film.
New Featurette -12 years on! The FURY still burns
New Directors audio commentary

I doubt HMV will stock it, so while it's far from my favourite Warbeck film, I may double dip and have them order a copy.

wayfarer 4th March 2011 11:34 AM

Thanks for the info! Will check that out at some point.

mr 420 4th March 2011 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayfarer (Post 86548)

Particular highlights of his career for me are his appearances in the Gui La Testa and The Last Hunter.

Gui La Testa is of course Duck You Sucker, or more commonly known as A Fistful of Dynamite. If you've seen the remastered uncut version, Warbeck's character is incredibly poignant and important.

I did'nt know that and I've got the Fistful dvd in my 'to watch' pile. Have you come across any of his latter roles? I think one was called A Day of Violence or something similar. I remember reading about it in the Darkside many years ago.

wayfarer 4th March 2011 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 132971)
I did'nt know that and I've got the Fistful dvd in my 'to watch' pile. Have you come across any of his latter roles? I think one was called A Day of Violence or something similar. I remember reading about it in the Darkside many years ago.

I think you might be getting confused with Sudden Fury, mentioned above. A Day of Violence was the same director's recent follow up. It's possible that Sudden Fury might have had the working title of Day of Violence which is why Darkside reported it and maybe Darren Ward has recycled it.

A Fistful of Dynamite shows a maturity evolving in Leone's work and the themes of friendship twisting into a tragic outcome may well have influenced John Woo's entries into the Heroic Bloodshed genre of the late 80s. It's well worth sticking on. I hope you've got the expanded version as some crucial scenes with Warbeck were missing originally. I love the Eastwood movies but Giu La Testa is a more satisfying film in my view. It's just a great shame that Eli Wallach couldn't star in it. Rod Steiger is ok but the irony is, he's playing Eli Wallach!:lol:

mr 420 4th March 2011 04:42 PM

[QUOTE=wayfarer;133025]I think you might be getting confused with Sudden Fury, mentioned above. A Day of Violence was the same director's recent follow up. It's possible that Sudden Fury might have had the working title of Day of Violence which is why Darkside reported it and maybe Darren Ward has recycled it.

QUOTE]

I will dig out that old Darkside.;)

Giallofilms 21st June 2011 02:03 PM

Sudden fury

Hi Guys

Just stumbled across the discussion referring to SUDDEN FURY as A DAY OF VIOLENCE. SF has never to my knowledge had a title change, it has always been SUDDEN FURY (although in Spain it had a tag title of FURIA GORE).

Hope that clears things up! The third part of my crime trilogy has now been written titled BEYOND FURY (currently seeking finance).

You maybe pleased to hear that Giovanni Lombardo Radice & Barbara Cupisti both have large roles!

Best
Darren Ward
Giallo Films

mr 420 21st June 2011 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giallofilms (Post 159452)
Hi Guys

Just stumbled across the discussion referring to SUDDEN FURY as A DAY OF VIOLENCE. SF has never to my knowledge had a title change, it has always been SUDDEN FURY (although in Spain it had a tag title of FURIA GORE).

Hope that clears things up! The third part of my crime trilogy has now been written titled BEYOND FURY (currently seeking finance).

You maybe pleased to hear that Giovanni Lombardo Radice & Barbara Cupisti both have large roles!

Best
Darren Ward
Giallo Films

I'm sure that A Day of Violence was the working title. There was either an article on Warbeck or the movie (I forget which) at the time in The Dark Side mag in which it is referred to as that (ADOV).

mr 420 21st June 2011 02:12 PM

I've just realised who I'm talking to! Am I thinking of the right article?

Edit: I've just gone back a page and realised my mistake. A Day of Violence is the follow-up to Sudden Fury.:o

Demoncrat 21st June 2011 02:14 PM

ah, fistful....had almost an entire pub declaiming me as a liar when during a discussion on Eastwood, i brought up the fantastic plotline of AFOD, none of them believed me!! tits. still i see il have to buy a new one ala this extended cut? any physical difference with the MGM 1 i have?? diff cover???

and i dig Warbeck, amazing to think he lost out to that plank...:confused:

Giallofilms 21st June 2011 02:27 PM

Sudden fury

LOL - ADOV is indeed the the 2nd part of my crime trilogy - There are some goodies relating to ADOV on sale over at Ebay - check them out guys if you are interested.

Signed DVD's (signed by Giovanni Lombardo Radice, Nick Rendell & Darren Ward)

Very rare 2009 cannes promo fliers A4 Full colour (double sided) signed by GLR and Darren Ward.

And finally 1 of only 14 ever printed in the world British quad poster 30x40 inches - signed by Darren Ward (artwork by the legendary Graham Humphries)

Best
Darren

mr 420 21st June 2011 02:31 PM

Cool! What are you working on at the moment? Can you shed some details if that's cool?

Giallofilms 21st June 2011 02:42 PM

Beyond fury

I have just finished the script for BEYOND FURY (currently seeking finance). The final part in my loose crime trilogy and really a sequel to SUDDEN FURY.

The character of WALKER is dragged back into the crime game by a gang of thugs lead by a Russian gangster (IVAN LENZIVICH - played by Giovanni Lombardo Radice).

Not giving anything else away at the moment, but.....

It really is a vicious ride that is influenced by Death Wish/Harry Brown and a whole slew of Italian crime thrillers. It will be an EXPLOSIVE and GORY finale to my input in the crime genre.

We also have Barbara Cupisti onboard with more names to follow.

Best
Darren

mr 420 21st June 2011 02:44 PM

That sounds really good! You'll have to keep us informed with developments.:cool:

Giallofilms 21st June 2011 02:47 PM

Beyond fury

As the project develops i will of course keep you posted! ;)

Wilson Bros 21st June 2011 03:35 PM

Cool stuff, Darren! :)

Kev W