Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Music (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=279)
-   -   Death Waltz Recording Co. (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/music/10021-death-waltz-recording-co.html)

oaxaca 27th November 2012 11:19 AM

Death Waltz Recording Co.

Well I'm a big vinyl fan and I happened upon 5 vinyls in my local store the other day released by DEATH WALTZ RECORDS; As soon as I saw them I could not resist buying! (although my wallet tried to stop me!). They seem to release about 2 a month which is fairly prolific for a small Indie label so I figured they deserved their own thread :) On top of that they have just signed a deal with Hammer... surely music to anyone's ears! :heh:

Here is the current and upcoming release schedule (Most releases seem to be available on standard black vinyl as well as a more limited run of coloured vinyl and all come with a large swanky poster of the cover art, generally designed by renowned artists such as Graham Humphries etc):-

DW000 = HALLOWEEN 3 flexi-disc single of Silver Shamrock theme
DW001 = ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS (FABIO FRIZZI)
DW002 = ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK (CARPENTER/HOWARTH)
DW003 = LET THE RIGHT ONE IN (SODERQVIST)
DW004 = DONNIE DARKO (ANDREWS)
DW005 = LIVING DEAD AT MANCHESTER MORGUE (SORGINI)
DW006 = PRINCE OF DARKNESS (CARPENTER/HOWARTH)
DW007 = HALLOWEEN 2 (CARPENTER/HOWARTH)
DW008 = HALLOWEEN 3 (CARPENTER/HOWARTH)
? = THEY LIVE = december
? = THE DEVILS BUSINESS = december
? = HOUSE BY THE CEM = jan '13
? = CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD = jan
? = SEVEN NOTES IN BLACK = feb
? = HOUSE OF THE DEVIL = ?
? = THE INNKEEPERS = ?
? = THE DEVIL RIDES OUT = ?
? = TWINS OF EVIL = ?

Here's the most important bit:-

http://www.deathwaltzrecordingcompan...1-350x350.jpeghttp://www.deathwaltzrecordingcompan...VE-350x350.jpghttp://www.deathwaltzrecordingcompan...NY-350x350.jpghttp://www.deathwaltzrecordingcompan...le-350x350.jpghttp://www.deathwaltzrecordingcompan...ve-350x350.jpghttp://www.deathwaltzrecordingcompan...er-350x350.jpghttp://www.deathwaltzrecordingcompan...VE-350x350.jpghttp://www.deathwaltzrecordingcompan...1-350x350.jpeg

Nemesis 27th November 2012 12:48 PM

Glad to see this label getting more widespread recognition - they are terrific. I've got ZFE, Halloween 3 and Let the right one in - I'd recommend adding this last one to your list oaxaca, as it really is beautiful.

And I really, really cannot wait for Seven Notes in Black. The mp3 has served me well, but I cannot wait to listen to it on vinyl.

trouserpress 27th November 2012 12:53 PM

I have the Halloween III one. I'd have preferred a slightly more recognisable image on the front cover. It's cool that it comes with a poster, but it doesn't look that great on the wall to be honest. the Halloween II cover is much better. I love the orange vinyl though. Looking forward to seeing their Hammer titles!

What they should really do is offer a free mp3 download with each purchase, so you don't have to worry about whether to play them or not. It would also encourage people to buy these who don't even have a record player!

buggenhagen 27th November 2012 01:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Death Waltz has been one of the best new companies I've come across this year. Spencer (the owner) clearly has a great passion for horror soundtracks and has years of experience in the record business (I believe he was a manager at Rough Trade for years.)

The records really are a joy to behold. I'm a big vinyl fan and have been a subscriber since the first subscription became available. For £150 you get six releases in subscriber exclusive colour vinyl, lithograph prints, posters each individually numbered with your subscriber no. At the end of each subscription you get a box to house the records in plus some extras (Halloween 3 flexidisc, Death Waltz t-shirt etc). All in all a great package for fans.

I always play all my vinyl (don't see the point in not playing it) but MP3 files would be good. They did actually provide an MP3 download for the Zombie Flesh Eaters release but nothing after that has been offered on MP3 too.

Here's the collection so far. Really looking forward to what they have in store for the future.

Attachment 91860

Sobral 27th November 2012 01:44 PM

That blue circle seems like a waste of space to me...
Great selection of titles, anyway.

oaxaca 27th November 2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemesis (Post 295977)
Glad to see this label getting more widespread recognition - they are terrific. I've got ZFE, Halloween 3 and Let the right one in - I'd recommend adding this last one to your list oaxaca, as it really is beautiful.

And I really, really cannot wait for Seven Notes in Black. The mp3 has served me well, but I cannot wait to listen to it on vinyl.

Thanks for the recommendation :) I haven't actually seen LET THE RIGHT ONE IN yet so that's why I didn't buy that record, but I guess the current availability of that vinyl is a good incentive to watch the film ASAP and see whether I like it. Think I'll pick the BD up, only £4 in cex

Currently I own the following from Death Waltz: ZFE, Living Dead at Manchester Morgue, Escape from New York, Halloween 2 and Halloween 3, all black vinyl, though I wish I'd picked up the coloured editions as they look incredible.

oaxaca 27th November 2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sobral (Post 295996)

Yeah I think they are phasing that out, the 2 Halloweens are the latest releases and have full-cover artwork which is great. Also, They Live released in December has fulll cover art too so that seems to be the way they are going

buggenhagen 27th November 2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sobral (Post 295996)

Yeah, they (quite rightly in my opinion) did away with that sleeve design after the first 6 releases. I know what they were aiming at (ie having a distinct "house sleeve") but really you want the whole sleeve to be the art work. At least they do listen to their customers.

Nemesis 27th November 2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 295998)
Thanks for the recommendation :) I haven't actually seen LET THE RIGHT ONE IN yet so that's why I didn't buy that record, but I guess the current availability of that vinyl is a good incentive to watch the film ASAP and see whether I like it. Think I'll pick the BD up, only £4 in cex

Currently I own the following from Death Waltz: ZFE, Living Dead at Manchester Morgue, Escape from New York, Halloween 2 and Halloween 3, all black vinyl, though I wish I'd picked up the coloured editions as they look incredible.

It's a superb film; I have to admit I did not appreciate the greatness of the film or the wonderful soundtrack until the second watch. Death Waltz's release inspired me to give it another go and I'm glad I did.

Check out the track "Eli's theme" on youtube; it's a beautiful piece.

And I think Candice Tripp did a lovely job with the artwork on this.

buggenhagen 27th November 2012 02:11 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 295998)

Here are some of the subscriber colour editions:

Zombie Flesh Eaters

Attachment 91861

Escape From New York

Attachment 91862

Let The Right One In

Attachment 91863

Donnie Darko

Attachment 91864

Living Dead At The Manchester Morgue

Attachment 91865

Prince Of Darkness

Attachment 91866

oaxaca 15th May 2013 09:31 PM

Those coloured editions look incredible...

By the way Death Waltz are soon to be releasing the following which are available to pre-order on their site...

House By the Cemetery (I've just ordered this)
http://www.deathwaltzrecordingcompan...ry-350x350.jpg

Twins of Evil (don't think I'll be collecting the Hammer soundtracks due to tight funds but I'm sure they will be brilliant items)
http://www.deathwaltzrecordingcompan...ER-350x350.jpg

I also ordered Antoni Maiiovi's YELLOW (a record-store day exclusive and only 6 left when I ordered earlier... it now looks like they've all gone!):
http://www.deathwaltzrecordingcompan...op-300x300.jpg

The Hitchcock/Munsters/Star Trek/Lost In Space EPs seem to have sold out now too.

Slippery Jack 15th May 2013 09:35 PM

That's a cool Dr. Freudstein painting :cool: . . .

oaxaca 16th May 2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 341826)
That's a cool Dr. Freudstein painting :cool: . . .

Yeah its fantastic as is the Maiovvi artwork I think, and both by the great Graham Humphries.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 25th May 2013 09:59 AM

Death Waltz have Maniac (2012) soundtrack lined up soon too...

Quote:

We’ve been raving about the remake of Maniac since we saw it at Fright Fest last August to anyone that would listen (or follow us on Twitter) and having seen it 3 times since we can confirm that it doesn’t get any less uncomfortable on repeat viewing and is surely one of the best (and most brutal) remakes of recent years.

It’s a joy to be releasing the score by Rob , it’s steely synth tones hark back to the golden age of 80′s splatter soundtracks but it’s completely contemporary , managing to me mournful & melancholy one moment and brutal and harsh the next.

The cover art by Jay Shaw is incredible and somehow manages to capture the sadness in the film (bypassing the extreme gore and getting right to the heart of the killer.

We wanted to do something really special with this release and definitely wanted to reference the fact that the film is told from the killers perspective , ( you mostly see Frank in various mirrors , windows and random reflections) & our production house has given the sleeve a silver UV lamination effect that basically turns the whole thing into a mirror, and as much as we want to show you the art we’ve decided to keep it under wraps until the release date (some things are worth waiting for and in the age of spoilers and upfront teases it’s nice to hold something back and surprise folks)

Here are the details for our release…..

500 180g flesh coloured vinyl with transparent blood splatter housed in a gatefold casebound (tip on) sleeve with mirror effect silver UV anti scratch lamination & 12 x 12 print of the cover art. (Death Waltz webstore exclusive)

350 180g silver steel with blood splatter housed in a gatefold casebound (tip on) sleeve with mirror effect silver UV anti scratch lamination & 12 x 12 print of the cover art.

(The UV silver lamination looks amazing, it’s just like a mirror so you’ll be able to see yourself when you hold the sleeve up!)

1000 picture discs housed in a gatefold casebound (tip on) sleeve with matt lamination & 12 x 12 print of the cover art. (available from our webstore and record stores)

Released June (date TBC)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 25th May 2013 10:01 AM

They're also releasing Twins of Evil on CD for those who haven't got a deck.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 31st May 2013 01:11 PM

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but apparently Death Waltz have The Bronx Warriors, The Devil Rides Out, and The New York Ripper soundtracks slated for release this year too! :happy:

An expensive year as far as my vinyl collection is concerned :D

Baseball Fury 31st May 2013 04:07 PM

THere's rumours they're doing The Raid as well.

Mondo did The Raid: Redemption (the US / UK score)

DWR are doing the original Indonesian score

Sobral 31st May 2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 343564)
They're also releasing Twins of Evil on CD for those who haven't got a deck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 344660)
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but apparently Death Waltz have The Bronx Warriors, The Devil Rides Out, and The New York Ripper soundtracks slated for release this year too! :happy:

Nice, a Hammer Horror soundtrack series will be most welcome :)

Scyther 1st June 2013 11:06 PM

I don't buy vinyl anymore, but I love what this label is doing. Wish they included CD versions along with their vinyl the way Cineploit and a lot of the Italian library labels do, however. Still, for vinyl fans Death Waltz rules.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 18th June 2013 04:16 PM

Did anyone here manage to snag either version of DW's The Fog?

Sadly I missed out, although apparently so did a lot of others due to site glitches and the amount of traffic crashing DW's servers.

However, Maniac (2012) is now up for sale in three different versions for those who may be interested:

Metallic silver blood splatter edition

Blood splattered flesh edition

Picture Disc Edition

mazon2709 18th June 2013 05:22 PM

I'm not happy about missing out on the Fog, one of my favourite scores. Although I do have the CD set, released some time ago, which contains the same tracks I think.

trouserpress 18th June 2013 07:43 PM

The Fog sale was a total debacle. They physically shipped titles to some record stores too, so you may be lucky and find one that way. I tried one in Greenwich on Saturday, but they didn't have any.

I love the Twins of Evil CD. Best packaging ever.

Nemesis 18th June 2013 08:43 PM

Spencer has said on twitter that there may be left over copies of the Fog due to go online in the next few days, due to "people manically filling their carts with them".

You could also try Spin the Blackest Circles - the new vinyl forum where you can trade or get a vinyl buddy.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 19th June 2013 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemesis (Post 347894)
Spencer has said on twitter that there may be left over copies of the Fog due to go online in the next few days, due to "people manically filling their carts with them".

You could also try Spin the Blackest Circles - the new vinyl forum where you can trade or get a vinyl buddy.

You can expect more of the same when/if they go up on their site though, unfortunately. I'm not keen on their new site layout. Whilst it looks slightly fresher, it's slower, and I don't like how you can't see how much remaining quantity they have of an item anymore.

Luckily, I just managed to snag a copy of The Fog from Discogs for £50 - more than it was original selling for, but definitely worth it.

There's someone selling the black variant on eBay already for over £200... :shocked:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 2nd July 2013 05:11 AM

My copy of The Fog arrived. Worth every penny. :)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 4th August 2013 04:52 AM

Well, Death Waltz have just released details of their new subscription offer, but more importantly, have alluded to some forthcoming titles including:

Ms. 45
The New York Ripper
Assault on Precinct 13

Source.

:happy:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 6th August 2013 07:34 AM

For anyone who missed out on The Fog, it appears as if Death Waltz will be releasing a limited run re-pressed on 'Gold' vinyl around mid-August time (?)

There are some up on eBay at the moment.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 14th August 2013 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 356804)
For anyone who missed out on The Fog, it appears as if Death Waltz will be releasing a limited run re-pressed on 'Gold' vinyl around mid-August time (?)

There are some up on eBay at the moment.

The Fog (Gold Edition) is now up for sale on Death Waltz's site for those who are interested.

trouserpress 14th August 2013 08:03 AM

I bought one yesterday at Sister Ray in London. They've got a pressing of over 600 this time so it should be easier to get one!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th September 2013 09:22 AM

http://deathwaltzrecordingcompany.co...3/09/uf009.jpg

Quote:

Unseen Forces Records are releasing the rather fantastic score to the 2013 remake of The Evil Dead in the USA and they have produced an exclusive colourway for DW to sell in the UK & Europe.

only available for sale in the UK & Europe..

Double to 140gram vinyl housed in a full colour gatefold sleeve.

One clear green record and one clear brown record.

Ltd to 500 worldwide.
Release date is 31st October 2013.

trouserpress 8th September 2013 10:36 AM

Did anyone else buy The Fog gold edition? I found mine to sound rather hissy and scratchy. I took it back to Sister Ray in Soho yesterday and swapped it for another brand new one, which I've also found is rather scratchy. It sounds like I'm playing a 30 year old LP rather than something brand new! They've offered to replace it again, but I'm not sure if its worth it.

Could it be my needle just doesn't like gold vinyl?

Wes 8th September 2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trouserpress (Post 364338)
Could it be my needle just doesn't like gold vinyl?

Could be... I don't have The Fog LP but my brown marble vinyl of Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works Vol 2 was had terrible surface noise on. I'd send a friendly mail to Death Waltz about it, but if it was me I'd probably keep the album, at least it looks fantastic...

Damn I wish I had a turntable again...

http://24.media.tumblr.com/2224bea48...xlv4o1_500.jpg

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 17th September 2013 08:41 AM

The New York Ripper vinyl is now up for sale on Death Waltz's site.

http://deathwaltzrecordingcompany.co.../09/ripper.jpg

Quote:

LP DW16 RELEASED 22/10/12

One sale Friday 27th September

The score to the notorious banned in many countries Lucio Fulci video nasty is a revelation tracks such as ‘New York One More Night ‘ mix disco funk and latin to striking effect while slower tracks such as ‘The Ripper’ manage to capture the sleazy pre disney clean up of New York perfectly with their moody sax breaks and 42nd street atmosphere.

Score by Francesco De Masi

Exclusive art by Nick Percival

Sleeve notes by Stephen Thrower and Nick Percival.

180 gm vinyl pressed on green and yellow duck vinyl house in a heavyweight casebound tip on Jacket. Includes 4 page booklet and poster.

Tracklisting

Side 1

New York One More Day
Phone Call
New York One More Night
Puertorico club
The Ripper
Fay

Side 2

Where Is The Ripper?
New York ...One Night
Puertorico Club
Suspense And Murder
Waiting For The Killer
Even though it says it's only on sale Friday 27th, it seems to be available to purchase from their site now.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 19th September 2013 08:47 AM

http://deathwaltzrecordingcompany.co...in-350x350.jpg

Goblin 2013 Tour EP

Quote:

LP DW18 RELEASED 08/10/12

On sale 27th September

The legendary Italian band Goblin recently reformed and went back into the studio to re-record 4 classic tracks especially for this EP. Treating the originals with the reverence they deserve but updating them to sound more in line with their current live set up. we couldn’t be more thrilled to be exclusively releasing this EP to support their current world tour. What better than revisiting an old friend ? Revisiting that old friend with a new sense of vigor and urgency.

180gm Red red vinyl cut at 45rpm .

Exclusive cover art by Graham Humpreys.

Tracklisting

Profondo Rosso

Roller

Suspiria

Tenebre

Rik 19th September 2013 09:19 AM

Loving that E.C style New York Ripper artwork :nod:

Wes 19th September 2013 10:38 AM

Well, I dunno, I'm not gone on this, nice artwork but doesn't seem appropriate for New York Ripper. I'd would have used the European artwork - I know everyone's probably bored with this but I like it....

http://www.movieposterdb.com/posters...9_1e38ec7f.jpg

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 25th September 2013 08:46 AM

Yet another announcement from Death Waltz:

Room 237

http://deathwaltzrecordingcompany.co...er-350x350.jpg

Quote:

LP DW15 RELEASED 30/10/12

On sale 27th September

One of the finest modern scores we at Death Waltz towers have heard in a very long time. It’s simply monsterous, a huge sounding record that references John Carpenter, Goblin, Stevlio Cipriani, late 70s prog and early 80s electronic music all the while with it’s feet firmly in the present day. The minute we heard this score we knew we had to release it.

Score by Jonathan Snipes & William Hutson

180gm orange & red vinyl cut at 45rpm housed inside a heavyweight casebound tip on sleeve.

Exclusive cover art by Sam Smith.

Comes with 14 track CD of complete score.

Tracklisting
Side 1

To Keep From Falling Off
Multiple Of Seven
Ignorance Of Visual Information
Recourse To Eagles

Side 2

Moon Landing
Emotional Architecture
Dies Arie
Also available as a pop-up CD.

doolahrock 8th October 2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 356375)
Well, Death Waltz have just released details of their new subscription offer, but more importantly, have alluded to some forthcoming titles including:

Ms. 45
The New York Ripper
Assault on Precinct 13

Source.

:happy:

Had to give the new sub a miss. Just a bit too expensive for me. Don't get me wrong, it's more than worth it but as much as I like soundtracks I can't ignore the fact that I'd be able 13-14 brand new LPs for the price of the sub. Sure it'll be a quality set though.

Also less than impressed with The Fog. Great item no doubt but to sell it as a limited edition and then release another ltd edition after the initial has sold out isn't on for me.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 12th October 2013 05:36 AM

Death Waltz announce Assault on Precinct 13:

http://deathwaltzrecordingcompany.co...to-350x350.jpg

Quote:

LP DW18 RELEASED 18/11/13

Released November 25th 2013.

Death Waltz Recording Company are very proud to be releasing one of the most seminal electronic scores in film history. Recorded in just one day, this minimal electro masterpiece by Director/Composer John Carpenter has been sampled by Afrika Bambaataa , Tricky and covered countless times. This newly remastered version has been approved by director John Carpenter himself who has also supplied brand new and exclusive sleevenotes.

Score by John Carpenter

Exclusive art by Jay Shaw

Sleeve notes by composer director John Carpenter , star Austin Stoker and two essays by Fangoria editior Chris Alexander and composer Clint Mansell.

180 gm vinyl pressed on bloody red & Vanilla swirl vinyl housed in a heavyweight gatefold casebound tip on Jacket featuring spot UV varnish. Includes an 8 page fold out booklet and poster.

LTD ONE OFF PRESSING OF 1000
Also available as a pop up CD.

GLord 12th October 2013 02:38 PM

What's a "pop-up CD"?