Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Music (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=279)
-   -   The Concert Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/music/7205-concert-thread.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th July 2020 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 631274)
I personally don't care for either era of Genesis so I'm here to just stir the pot :lol:

Seriously though, everyone likes different things which makes life more interesting :) The great thing about music is that there is so much variety that there is enough out there to find what rocks your boat and you don't have to worry about the other bits!

I have to agree about Metallica though, it's just not the same anymore.

Hard Wired was a return to form for me personally. I do like Load and Reload but they certainly aren't the band they used to be.

Interestingly i've just ordered Newsted's first solo / band album because it sounded more like old Metallica than Metallica do... except you can hear the bass guitar.

Justin101 27th July 2020 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 631275)
My Dying Bride don't exactly change their sound every album. It's as doomy and slow as can be.

I'd hardly call something like Like Gods of the Sun to be up tempo and the one time they really changed their sound and lyrics all their core fans cried - 34.788%...Complete

That album was so shite :lol: I actually stopped listening to my FAVOURITE BAND because of that CD :lol: (and I'm not messing either haha) I think their sound has actually come pretty much full circle and it's more like their older stuff than ever, it's the same with Paradise Lost's new album.

Agree on Mastadon, they haven't changed all that much, possibly their songs have gotten a bit more boring??

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th July 2020 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 631278)
That album was so shite :lol: I actually stopped listening to my FAVOURITE BAND because of that CD :lol: (and I'm not messing either haha) I think their sound has actually come pretty much full circle and it's more like their older stuff than ever, it's the same with Paradise Lost's new album.

Agree on Mastadon, they haven't changed all that much, possibly their songs have gotten a bit more boring??

I love every version of Paradise Lost. From classic Doom Metal to Sisters of Mercy chart bothering wannabes.

I haven't got their latest as i lost track of it in the pandemic but from what i understand it fuses all their styles on one record.

Nordicdusk 27th July 2020 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 631275)
My Dying Bride don't exactly change their sound every album. It's as doomy and slow as can be.

I'd hardly call something like Like Gods of the Sun to be up tempo and the one time they really changed their sound and lyrics all their core fans cried - 34.788%...Complete

Primordial are a good example though, Amorphis are another who change their music and vocals frequently.

Have Mastodon really changed their musical style that much? Certainly not sound wise but they have become poppier in their song writing.

MDB maybe not as dramatic as changing every album maybe its vocal differences. The first albums seem heavier than later albums which are darker more meloncollie. So maybe a bad example.

Mastodon's first few albums are a lot heavier than the last few they still have a heavy sound but not the vocals are a lot cleaner and more harmony between the different vocal styles within the band.

Justin101 27th July 2020 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 631279)
I love every version of Paradise Lost. From classic Doom Metal to Sisters of Mercy chart bothering wannabes.

I haven't got their latest as i lost track of it in the pandemic but from what i understand it fuses all their styles on one record.

Not a huge fan of the debut album, but from Gothic onwards, loved them all :) I think that Draconian Times or One Second are my fav albums.

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th July 2020 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 631281)
MDB maybe not as dramatic as changing every album maybe its vocal differences. The first albums seem heavier than later albums which are darker more meloncollie. So maybe a bad example.

Mastodon's first few albums are a lot heavier than the last few they still have a heavy sound but not the vocals are a lot cleaner and more harmony between the different vocal styles within the band.

I remember seeing Mastodon and High on Fire in Manchester early in each band's career. I preferred High on Fire. :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th July 2020 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 631284)
Not a huge fan of the debut album, but from Gothic onwards, loved them all :) I think that Draconian Times or One Second are my fav albums.

Icon, surely?

Justin101 27th July 2020 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 631286)
Icon, surely?

Definitely DT but I do love Icon and Shades of God loads! I feel like Meryl in Sophie's Choice, stop making me pick my favourite baby :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th July 2020 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 631288)
Definitely DT but I do love Icon and Shades of God loads! I feel like Meryl in Sophie's Choice, stop making me pick my favourite baby :lol:

How does the new one compare?

Justin101 27th July 2020 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 631289)
How does the new one compare?

It cherry picks the best of everything and is surprisingly good for a bunch of old geezers 30+ years into their career! (specifically for this kind of music). Not bought the CD myself yet but I've streamed it multiple times in the last few months, will pick it up soon.