Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Music (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=279)
-   -   Latest Album Bought (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/music/7207-latest-album-bought.html)

Susan Foreman 30th May 2017 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 535624)
I've not bought this but considering it;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Misplaced-C...dp/B071YS3XYV/

Deluxe edition of Misplaced Childhood, 4 CDs and Bluray which has a feature length documentary about the album as well as a surround sound mix by Steve Wilson! The other CDs feature a concert recording from the period and a disc of rarities, b-sides and demos! £25 is not bad either!

I saw Marillion performing 'Misplaced Childhood' in Southampton in 1985. The concert was originally scheduled for October, but (for reasons that escape me now) it was cancelled and re-scheduled for December.

http://www.morain.de/Marillion/image...20.12.1985.jpg

It was to be the last show played at the old Gaumont Cinema venue, before it closed down for a total refit, re-opening as the Mayflower Theatre in 1987

Anyway, they came on stage and performed "Script for a Jester's Tear", "Incubus", "Chelsea Monday" and "The Web". Fish then said to the audience: "This is going to be our last song of the evening"! Cue much booing from the crowd, because the band had only played for about 30 minutes, and we all knew that the venue would be closing at the end of the show

They then went on to play 'Misplaced Childhood' in its entirety, before returning for encores of "Fugazi", "Garden Party" and "Market Square Heroes"

It was a good show, and (in my opinion) this record was their last grasp of greatness

Justin101 30th May 2017 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 535629)
It was a good show, and (in my opinion) this record was their last grasp of greatness

Sounds like a good show!
I'll disagree with you about this last point though, perhaps because I prefer the Steve Hogarth era, they have released a lot of great albums in the last 20 years Brave being one of the best prog rock albums out there IMO... and last year's F.E.A.R. is brilliant as well.

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th May 2017 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 535630)
Sounds like a good show!
I'll disagree with you about this last point though, perhaps because I prefer the Steve Hogarth era, they have released a lot of great albums in the last 20 years Brave being one of the best prog rock albums out there IMO... and last year's F.E.A.R. is brilliant as well.

Definitely.

Susan's aversion to anything released since 1990 means, in the bluntest terms she has no idea about the Steve Hogarth era of Marillion.

Fish was only with the band seven years whereas Hogarth has been with them 28 years.

Much as i like the Fish era, it's nothing compared to what came next.

Interesting you should mention FEAR, Justin. It charted at #4. Only Misplaced Childhood and Clutching at Straws have had higher chart placings.

Great story by the way, Susan. It sounded a terrific gig.

Susan Foreman 30th May 2017 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 535640)
Susan's aversion to anything released since 1990 means, in the bluntest terms she has no idea about the Steve Hogarth era of Marillion

With all due respect, sir, I may not have the audio recordings, but I do have four of the 'fan club only' DVD releases from the Steve Hogarth era: "Brave Live 2002", "Before First Light Live 2003", "Piss Up In A Brewery" and "Shot In The Dark"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 535640)
Great story by the way, Susan. It sounded a terrific gig.

Thank you

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th May 2017 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 535643)
With all due respect, sir, I may not have the audio recordings, but I do have four of the 'fan club only' DVD releases from the Steve Hogarth era: "Brave Live 2002", "Before First Light Live 2003", "Piss Up In A Brewery" and "Shot In The Dark"

Thank you

Ha'ha. Make your mind up. You can't say you gave up buying music in 1990 one minute then change your mind the next when it suits you. :lol:

Susan Foreman 30th May 2017 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 535651)
Ha'ha. Make your mind up. You can't say you gave up buying music in 1990 one minute then change your mind the next when it suits you. :lol:

Hold on up a minute

I have said I stopped buying CD's in the early 90's (which is true)

I have never said I stopped buying music DVD'S in the 90's (which would have been impossible because I didn't get a DVD player until the early 00's and it would have been the late 00's before I got my first music DVD!!)

Justin101 30th May 2017 03:54 PM

Well this thread has taken an absurd turn. I decided to order the CD anyway. Excited to see what Steve Wilson has done.

Susan Foreman 30th May 2017 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 535660)
Well this thread has taken an absurd turn

Where this forum is concerned, that is par for the course!

Inspector Abberline 1st June 2017 05:39 PM

sgt pepper

1 Attachment(s)
Didn't go the full £100 squid box set, just got the re-released cd.

Attachment 191202

Inspector Abberline 10th June 2017 11:16 AM

kiss chuck

1 Attachment(s)
Two for £15 in ASDA, was going to get the Chuck Berry cd but the Kiss comp for a fiver was a no brainer.

Attachment 191568