Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   New York Ripper (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   New York Ripper-You gotta love it! (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/new-york-ripper/5721-new-york-ripper-you-gotta-love.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 28th May 2011 04:15 PM

New York Ripper-You gotta love it!

With the upcoming release of this Fulci sleaze classic,you've gotta ask yourself one question,'Do I feel yucky? Well do ya punk?' :happy:

Seriously though.
What 'artistic merits' do you think NYR has?:eyebrows:

Do you like the film?

Do you find it shocking?

Prey tell please......

Pete 28th May 2011 04:52 PM

I like it alot. But then I am a rotten misogynist:nod:

:lol::lol:

Beyond72 28th May 2011 05:28 PM

Not a fan, but if I pretend it's Fulci trying to do a twisted episode of Quincy I can tolerate it.

- I did my own detective work and worked out Captain Haggerty (Big fat Zombie on boat in ZFE) supplied the dog for the opening shot. :woot:

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th May 2011 05:31 PM

If you want gore ... you've got it.

Its one of those films along with Zombie Flesheaters and Inside amongst others that i will always put on when i want to see some guaranteed blood and guts. Love it. :clap:

Make Them Die Slowly 28th May 2011 08:07 PM

I like it, the ending took me totally by surprise on first viewing, incredibly bleak and misanthropic.

Stephen@Cult Labs 28th May 2011 08:58 PM

The film also has one hell of a catchy main title theme.

Rotten 28th May 2011 09:07 PM

A hilarious movie (not the violence towards women, just the parts with the Duck speak)............glad its being re-issued

bdc 28th May 2011 10:12 PM

YouTube - ‪Lucio Fulci's NEW YORK RIPPER- Phone call with a Duck (Audio Only)‬‏

bdc 28th May 2011 10:14 PM

The duck talk is something special,it's funny and creepy at the same time...pure genius!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th May 2011 06:59 PM

See if this lot will sway your opinion!

You've heard about it and seen some sneak peeks, so here are my photos of the swanky new Yello-ray New York Ripper case, sleeve and booklet. This

The front cover:

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/...5/P1040676.jpg

The back cover:

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/...5/P1040677.jpg

Inside the case:

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/...5/P1040678.jpg

The front of the case:

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/...5/P1040679.jpg

The front cover with alternate artwork:

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/...5/P1040680.jpg

The front of the booklet:

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/...5/P1040681.jpg

The first two pages of the booklet:

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/...5/P1040682.jpg

PaulD 30th May 2011 07:02 PM

Looks like a great package! The wording on the back of the cover is a bit clumsy though - ''whilst making deranged Donald Duck voice imitation". Hmm..

I nearly watched this yesterday as a matter of fact but thought I'd wait until I pick up the BD and give it my first viewing in HD

TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs 30th May 2011 09:56 PM

Does anyone else think Jack Hedley looks like Jeremy Clarkson?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 30th May 2011 10:44 PM

Yeah,a bit but Jack Heldley probably wasn't a tosser!;)

scarewaves 30th May 2011 10:56 PM

Watched it for the first time today and loved it. Sometimes the duck voice made me laugh and broke the tension in a good way but other times it added to the overall weirdness of my first fulci viewing

Keep It Kreepy!

Jeff D 31st May 2011 08:01 AM

Along with Pieces and Nightmare in a Damaged Brain, this filth has a special place in my heart. Cannot wait to see this release!

antmumford 31st May 2011 12:14 PM

I love the fact it has 01 on the spine. this will make sure that I collect all the BD's as I'm major OCD when it comes to collecting so I won't allow myself a gap in the numbers :loco:

Can't wait to have this in my hands :woot:

Demoncrat 31st May 2011 12:21 PM

its such a crazed film, certainly the nastiest of the american ones LF did. you know what youre getting with that title ;);)

Dimis 31st May 2011 12:27 PM

The thing about NYR is that before i watched it i would read reviews saying it's a bad movie. When you have watched almost everything horror-related from the 70s and 80s and you pick up one bland 00s movie after another, this is one movie that stands out. I also like the photography, the direction during the dream scene at the cinema, and the scene at the hotel-maze.

dis 31st May 2011 04:16 PM

Hi all,i enjoyed the N.Y.R.
Love it or hate it,you must own it i think!

BAKA 31st May 2011 05:45 PM

The package looks great, especially the yellow case. Can't wait for this, my first Shameless purchase. Hopefully the first of many Shameless HD releases. The price point is pretty damn amazing too, for a Blu-ray.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 31st May 2011 07:25 PM

It is BAKA,a very nice looking pack indeed.That yellow case is a lot nicer than the standard Blu one.

A lot of NYR fans then!:cool:

Daemonia 1st June 2011 01:16 AM

Nice covers, although the blurb on the back mis-spells Antonella Fulci. It's right the first time, but the second time it's spelt 'Antonela'.

I know, I'm being pedantic, but I used to do a bit of proof-reading and now I can't help myself! I'm like Rain Man, but with words (I even spot spelling mistakes on newspaper headlines when they're used in films and flash across the screen). :lol:

antmumford 1st June 2011 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 154828)
Nice covers, although the blurb on the back mis-spells Antonella Fulci. It's right the first time, but the second time it's spelt 'Antonela'.

I know, I'm being pedantic, but I used to do a bit of proof-reading and now I can't help myself! I'm like Rain Man, but with words (I even spot spelling mistakes on newspaper headlines when they're used in films and flash across the screen). :lol:

I'm very much like that too. There's been many a mistake on some Arrow covers that I've had to point out before :loco:

Paul@TheOverlook 1st June 2011 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 153978)

Certainly does.

trench 1st June 2011 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 153978)

So catchy that I've used it as the opening theme for my Italian Horror music mix! Nice looking Blu there Shameless.

Pete 1st June 2011 01:22 PM

The whole score is brilliant.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 1st June 2011 02:38 PM

I think the most impressive aspect of New York Ripper is the score -- much better than some of the rubber prosthetics, anyway!

Pete 1st June 2011 02:45 PM

This is what Mark Kermode says about NYR is his book IT'S ONLY A MOVIE:

Quote:

..the misogynist dirge of Lucio Fulci's loathsome THE NEW YORK RIPPER, a film so staggeringly adolescent that even spotty male horror fans seem embarrassed to praise it, resorting to carping on about Francesco De Massi's 'interesting' score, as if this somehow mitigated the movie's irredeemable awfulness
I don't think anyone here is embarrassed praising it. I know I'm not anyway.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 1st June 2011 02:55 PM

I was surprised by that passage when I read it in Kermode's book as I expected him to realise it was an exploitation film and treat it as such. Maybe he needs to have a private screening with Alan Jones with an in-depth discussion about the film in the bar afterwards!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 1st June 2011 08:48 PM

Must be because he can't talk about it on daytime Beeb.....
Bottle in the holiest of places on the lunchtime review? :lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 1st June 2011 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 155009)
Must be because he can't talk about it on daytime Beeb.....
Bottle in the holiest of places on the lunchtime review? :lol:

Maybe not at lunchtime, but how about Newsnight Review after 11 at night? They do occasionally review DVDs and BDs!

Demoncrat 8th June 2011 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 154912)
This is what Mark Kermode says about NYR is his book IT'S ONLY A MOVIE:

I don't think anyone here is embarrassed praising it. I know I'm not anyway.

coming from a guy who lost several points with me for praising to the heaven a certain Paprika ripoff, i think embarrassment is nae a word id bandy about:lol:

Gojirosan 17th June 2011 12:28 AM

None of the poll options apply to my view on the film.

It's not a very good film, in my opinion. Certainly watchable, and the self deprecating elements of humour are a nice change for gialli, but it's just a silly little film. It's boring and lacks any of the visual style, verve and panache that Fulci's best films contain. It's certainly a very long way below the likes of Don't Torture a Duckling or Lizard In A Woman's Skin.

I think it's status as both a Fulci film and as a giallo have been unfairly and unjustly elevated by its notorious standing and the foolishness of the BBFC regarding it.

tobiaswragg 17th June 2011 12:30 PM

Probably my favourite Fulci (of those I've seen up to now).

mr 420 17th June 2011 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 154911)
I think the most impressive aspect of New York Ripper is the score -- much better than some of the rubber prosthetics, anyway!

Ever heard this version Nos?

Another Dead Junkie - New York One More Day.

YouTube - ‪New York One More Day - Another Dead Junkie‬‏

Edit: I can't seem to get the vid to work ,but go to youtube to have a listen, it's well worth it.

SilverGunnar Hansen 9th July 2011 04:06 PM

Finally saw it recently - never wanted to before but I really liked it! The duck voice had me in stitches, but the violence did really upset me, I think that combination is pretty unique, makes for a memorable film.

I think the accusations of misogyny are justified, but I think it's a deliberate tactic to make it outrageous and shocking, I don't think it reflects Fulci's attitude, apart from that towards pushing the envelope! QUAAAAAAAAAACK!

Peter Neal 18th July 2011 01:50 PM

Watched my Shameless "Fan Edition" DVD of "New York Ripper" yesterday and was very pleased with what I got, with the inclusion of the German language version being a particularly nice touch for me as I have a great fondness for 70's/80's German dubs.:rockon:
I'd be more than thrilled if Shameless could provide some more German language tracks as an extra in the future.:popcorn:
I also full on agree with writer Dardano Sacchetti's verdict on Tarantino in the interview 100 %!:clap::nod::woot:

Peter Neal 11th August 2011 10:15 AM

May be I missed some info regarding this but out of personal interest:
Are there any plans for future Shameless releases to also feature a German audio track?:pop2:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th August 2011 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Neal (Post 173199)
May be I missed some info regarding this but out of personal interest:
Are there any plans for future Shameless releases to also feature a German audio track?:pop2:

I've passed on your query and I or Sarah should hopefully have some information about that which will then be passed on.

Peter Neal 11th August 2011 05:18 PM

Cheers for that, Nos.:)
The German dubs from the 70's/80's era of (Euro) exploitation have a particular charm and feature German actors/voices who became later known for more "mainstream" work, like Jack Hedley's German voice in "NYR" who's the voice of Homer Simpson in the German language version of "The Simpsons" and David Hess in "House on the Edge of the Park" got dubbed by the actor who's most famous for dubbing Bruce Willis nowadays - just to name two of many examples!:cool: