Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The CRITERION DVD and Blu-ray Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/10082-criterion-dvd-blu-ray-thread.html)

WaveCrest 21st February 2009 11:24 PM

The CRITERION DVD and Blu-ray Thread

It seems to me like the Criterion DVD releases of older movies are much superior to other R1 and R2 releases of the same movies. I was reading in the week on DVD Times some of a review of Carnival of Souls (1962). The Criterion release is the best version to get. It has loads of extras.

I would like to get this version on DVD, but looking at the prices on eBay I think they're too high.

I'd like to get as well the Criterion version of Rebecca (1941), but as that is a rare title now it's getting ridiculous prices on eBay.

cloud 22nd February 2009 01:29 PM

Criterion releases always sell for a premium, you're looking at between £13-25 for each release depending on how many discs there are. I have one Criterion in my collection (Videodrome) and it's fantastic with the booklet, extras and the cut scenes not found in the Universal barebones release. It just depends on how much you like the film and how much of an upgrade you think it's worth, it's also worth noting that they're a bit more expensive now with the GBP being so weak.

WaveCrest 22nd February 2009 06:00 PM

That's the problem Cloud. With the weak pound at the moment buying TV DVD boxsets and film DVDs from the US is way more expensive than it was 6+ months ago.

There were loads of copies of the Carnival of Souls Criterion DVD on eBay. It's the Rebecca Criterion DVD which is rare. It's a pity Criterion can't re-release it.

cloud 22nd February 2009 07:32 PM

I'm sure they will Wavey, everything gets re-issued sooner or later. The weak GBP most certainly is a problem now, my importing is minimal and with so many US companies going under I'm helpless to buy their product before it's gone for good.

eiren 23rd February 2009 03:07 PM

Criterion are starting to concentrate on Blu-ray releases now. I've just got their version of The Third Man... and it's a stunning release.

Wait for the Blu-ray version is my advice.

NossB 23rd February 2009 05:27 PM

I've found that some Criterion releases are now dropping in price, even the chancers at ebay are dropping their prices... Although you do get the odd one trying to sell Robocop for £40+

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 23rd February 2009 08:59 PM

I used to collect them,but as mentioned they were getting a bit pricey....
Titles I've got rid of include....
STRAW DOGS (Regrettably)
PEEPING TOM
BLOOD FOR DRACULA
THE NIGHT PORTER
SILENCE OF THE LAMBS
THE ROCK
ARMAGEDDON
TRAFFIC
DEAD RINGERS

Only one's I've got left are;
VIDEODROME
FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 24th March 2009 08:34 PM

I too was going to start collecting Criterion's at some stage, but the prices put me off as well... I came to purchase some and thought for the price of a Criterion I could buy three or so other DVD's that I wanted.

The only ones I have managed to get (so far) are:

- Blood for Dracula
- Brazil (3 Disc Version)
- La Commare secca
- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
- Flesh for Frankenstein
- Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages
- The Silence of the Lambs
- Videodrome

I will probably get more, but price will be a big factor in whether that will happen.

WaveCrest 20th June 2009 05:09 PM

I'd like to get a 70's movie called The Friends of Eddie Coyle, but it appears Criterion only ship to the US and Canada.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 20th June 2009 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaveCrest (Post 31428)
I'd like to get a 70's movie called The Friends of Eddie Coyle, but it appears Criterion only ship to the US and Canada.

Try Amazon marketplace mate. That's where I bought all my Criterion titles from: The Friends of Eddie Coyle

WaveCrest 21st June 2009 10:47 PM

bizarre_eye - Thanks for posting that link. There was only one new copy left from an Amazon Marketplace seller. I can buy off Amazon again so it was great to be able to get this film via Amazon. And the price was good as well, bearing in mind the higher prices for new (or used) copies of Criterion releases.

I bought as well Carnival of Souls (for anyone who is interested in getting this film and have been pondering over whether to get the Network DVD version, don't get that version. Instead purchase the Criterion version) and the original Insomnia.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 23rd June 2009 10:23 PM

No probs Wave. :)

I have the Elstree Hill release of Carnival of Souls and it is terrible, so was thinking of investing in a gleaming Criterion version... :D

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 24th June 2009 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye (Post 24289)
I too was going to start collecting Criterion's at some stage, but the prices put me off as well... I came to purchase some and thought for the price of a Criterion I could buy three or so other DVD's that I wanted.

The only ones I have managed to get (so far) are:

- Blood for Dracula
- Brazil (3 Disc Version)
- La Commare secca
- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
- Flesh for Frankenstein
- Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages
- The Silence of the Lambs
- Videodrome

I will probably get more, but price will be a big factor in whether that will happen.

Fancy trading that SOTL B.E?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 24th June 2009 07:59 PM

Ooooohhhh... I dunno reaps, it would have to be something special for me to trade it, as it took me a while to find it at a sensible price... ;) plus I dunno if I could part with it! :o:D

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 24th June 2009 08:37 PM

No worries they're selling on Amazon for 8 quid....could have had yourself a nice rare dvd there....;)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 24th June 2009 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 31738)
No worries they're selling on Amazon for 8 quid....could have had yourself a nice rare dvd there....;)

:headbang::jest: Never mind mate, it's got some nice extras if you do get it. I'm surprised it's so cheap on Amazon though.

WaveCrest 15th July 2009 11:15 PM

Tested out the Criterion discs for Carnival of Souls and Insomnia a couple of weeks ago and I can say that they very much worth getting. They certainly put a lot of effort into their DVD releases Criterion.

SShaw 1st August 2009 05:55 PM

Lots of (cheapish) Criterion DVD's over in my For Sale thread.

Scott

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 2nd August 2009 12:15 AM

I'll be picking up their REPULSION disc.:)

WaveCrest 11th August 2009 09:17 PM

Bought Criterion's The Friends of Eddie Coyle recently off Amazon Marketplace (via Amazon UK). Bought it from Supermart_usa. When it arrived in the post I found it had several scratches on the back of the disc. Was given a refund and I ordered it from a different Amazon Marketplace seller, all your music, which I've found to be very reliable. Received it in the post and the disc had no scratches on it. Tested it out and the disc played fine. I didn't think the remastered picture was good as it had been made out to be in the DVD Times review.

xxsic4slipknotxx 19th August 2009 08:38 PM

Just found out yesterday that the Italian crime/drama film, Gomorrah, is slated to be released on The Criterion Collection on November 24th here in the states. It pretty much has the same features included on the UK 2-disc release, but it will have an added essay booklet.

WaveCrest 20th August 2009 10:42 PM

A late 60's film which Robert Redford and Gene Hackman starred in, Downhill Racer, is getting a Criterion release in November.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 20th August 2009 10:43 PM

Anyone pick up their REPULSION release yet?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 21st August 2009 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 38902)
Anyone pick up their REPULSION release yet?

I was tempted, but have the ABUK release so I may wait a while... Criterion's are such expensive little discs! :pout:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 21st August 2009 05:51 PM

Yeah,they are a bit.Definetly for the collector.

Daemonia 23rd August 2009 12:14 PM

I've never really understood the high pricing of Criterion DVDs - their early releases were marked up at just under £30 - and you got a non-anamorphic port from a Laser Disc for that. Madness. They're still a great label though, but I haven't many of their titles due to their pricing.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 24th August 2009 07:04 PM

If you've got half a mil in the bank,then EVERY numbered spine on a shelf would look cool.:happy:
But then again,you can have 20 yellow box spines for far less cash!:clap:

Daemonia 24th August 2009 09:20 PM

I'd rather go for the yellow boxes. Too much arty stuff in that Criterion collection for my liking - give me some good old exploitation goodness any day! :)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 25th August 2009 05:47 PM

Hear hear!:rockon:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th December 2012 04:41 PM

The CRITERION DVD and Blu-ray Thread

8 Attachment(s)
I've picked up quite a few of these recently and although they're a bit more expensive,they're usually well worth the few extra quid.

So I thought it worthwhile starting a dedicated thread to Criterion releases.

Any news on upcoming releases etc would be most welcome.:)

Here's what I have so far and have on order for Christmas.......

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th December 2012 04:45 PM

I'm hoping 2013 will see them replicate their Straw Dogs release in hi def! :pray:

I reckon other great Criterion releases would be;

THE KILLING FIELDS (Joffe)
THE DEAD ZONE (Cronenberg)
THE BOUNTY (Donaldson)
THE OSTERMAN WEEKEND (Peckinpah)
PAT GARRETT AND BILLY THE KID (Peckinpah)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th December 2012 04:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh and how could I forget this......

This would be the ultimate Criterion release in hi def!

Right up their street,I reckon....arty,controversial,important,infamous,a maverick director and historical.

Stephen@Cult Labs 8th December 2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 300112)
I'm hoping 2013 will see them replicate their Straw Dogs release in hi def! :pray:

I reckon other great Criterion releases would be;

THE KILLING FIELDS (Joffe)
THE DEAD ZONE (Cronenberg)
THE BOUNTY (Donaldson)
THE OSTERMAN WEEKEND (Peckinpah)
PAT GARRETT AND BILLY THE KID (Peckinpah)

I don't think Criterion have the rights to Straw Dogs anymore, so you'll have to settle for the stellar UK blu-ray. Oh wait, I meant to put the words less than, before stellar. :D

ReturnToZero 8th December 2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 300117)
I don't think Criterion have the rights to Straw Dogs anymore.

Think you are right. And the US BD from MGM looks really good.

Criterion should release Suspiria. I think they would handle all the colours perfectly.

gag 8th December 2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 300105)
I've picked up quite a few of these recently and although they're a bit more expensive,they're usually well worth the few extra quid.

So I thought it worthwhile starting a dedicated thread to Criterion releases.

Any news on upcoming releases etc would be most welcome.:)

Here's what I have so far and have on order for Christmas.......

Quadrophenia cover a bit pants.
Rosemary baby just don't get all the fuss over this didn't rate it at all.

Rik 8th December 2012 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 300124)

It's a classic film, but each to their own I suppose.

Stephen@Cult Labs 8th December 2012 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReturnToZero (Post 300123)
Think you are right. And the US BD from MGM looks really good.

Criterion should release Suspiria. I think they would handle all the colours perfectly.

Oh yeah, forgot about the MGM blu-ray.

Jinx_Barkman 8th December 2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 300124)

:mad::p

I have about 20/25 Criterion blu's and I cherish each one. I can't wait for On The Waterfront.

oaxaca 8th December 2012 07:58 PM

Would love to see them release any Peckinpah, good suggestions there Reaper! I also want to see more Kurosawa & other Japanese chanbara. Also any classic horror really. Criterion's packages and film presentations are top notch... They're the US version of Eureka really

Hawkmonger 8th December 2012 08:47 PM

Well I have the following Criterion BDs.
http://s3.amazonaws.com/criterion-pr...jpg?1328128344http://s3.amazonaws.com/criterion-pr...jpg?1342461588http://s3.amazonaws.com/criterion-pr...jpg?1328128339http://s3.amazonaws.com/criterion-pr...jpg?1328128344
I love them all! I was hoping they will re-release there Flesh for Frankenstein on BD sometime...