Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The Network DVD and Blu-ray Release Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/12501-network-dvd-blu-ray-release-thread.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th April 2016 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 485410)
These so called children's shows, Children if the Stones and the like, ate they seriously worth my time?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 485415)
Eh... it depends I guess.

I assume a lot of people purchase them for nostalgia sake but I took a punt on a few from the descriptions and I'm generally interested in a lot of things '70s; classic Britishness, the occult, paganism, flared trousers etc. so for me they were a safe-ish bet.

Some are better than others though. The Children of the Stones and The Owl Service are really good in my opinion. Enter the Labyrinth is pretty good but fairly repetitive (the third series is also a bit of a chore but you can at least muddle through and with it being a children's show it's far from taxing or lengthy).

One thing I would say though it really hi-lights how shite and dumbed down children's TV is nowadays when you look at shows like these which try to shoe-horn in history, science, mathematics etc. into an often decent script with some solid acting performances too. Viewers had less choice in those days though so I guess the quality had to be higher whereas today any shite will do...

Great reply, Bizarre_Eye.

It's the sort of thing i would have said. Reasons you like them, which ones you like and then say how shit todays tv is. :thumb:

I seem to be hooked on 70's serials. In fact hooked on British films and tv in general. Do i go for King of the Castle in one final splurge. It looks so weird from the single episode i've seen.

I've just ordered or at least added Children of the Stones to my basket again, thought it would make a nice Xmas pressie for a mate i've known since infant school.

Incidentally, J. If you did buy Children you get a bonus disc featuring episodes of Sky, King of the Castle, Into the Labyrinth and The Clifton House Mystery.

Loved The Clifton House Mystery by the way. A really strong series. Sky was odd. Thinking of watching it again soon.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th April 2016 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 485433)
was it royal mail or someone else and when did you order?

Royal Mail. I ordered it on 8th April. It was shipped late on Monday afternoon.

trebor8273 14th April 2016 11:49 AM

Guess what's just turned up.:glitter::glitter::woot::woot:

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th April 2016 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 485440)
Guess what's just turned up.:glitter::glitter::woot::woot:

Your third order of Thriller...having sold the first two. ;)

Nice one, Treb.

Is this the big order you made? :woot:

trebor8273 14th April 2016 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 485442)
Your third order of Thriller...having sold the first two. ;)

Nice one, Treb.

Is this the big order you made? :woot:

Yep, pics are up and what have you bought

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th April 2016 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 485445)
Yep, pics are up and what have you bought

I'll post them tonight when i've opened todays order.

Mojo 14th April 2016 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 485420)
well it looks like my order has went walkabout. contacted network yesterday and they contacted TNT who said it was out for delivery yesterday, but that never arrived so contacted network who contacted them again who are now saying they cant find where i am, which is very strange as they delivered to me on Monday. blame here holey lies with TNT and not newtwork who have been very helpful

I hope you can get your order sorted out treb. To be honest, I always try to make sure my items are sent via Royal Mail. I purposely try and avoid using companies that use other couriers.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 14th April 2016 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 485434)
Sky was odd. Thinking of watching it again soon.

I also have Sky but haven't watched it yet.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th April 2016 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 485454)
I also have Sky but haven't watched it yet.

Part of sci-fi SeptEye?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 14th April 2016 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 485455)
Part of sci-fi SeptEye?

:D

I'm not really including TV shows in my Sci-Fi September viewing - as you know I'm a NightEye when it comes to TV shows so will hopefully get around to it in the coming months. ;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th April 2016 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 485459)
:D

I'm not really including TV shows in my Sci-Fi September viewing - as you know I'm a NightEye when it comes to TV shows so will hopefully get around to it in the coming months. ;)

You definitely need Doomwatch. :nod:

It'll send you to sleep straight away. I'm four eps into it and it's so studio bound it hurts. Last night was 50 mins of the team listening to NASA radio chatter. :sleep:

Having said that the first three were much better.

They really need to get outside. how can you combat ecological threat from an office. I hope it turns into the film fairly soon. ie - on location.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 14th April 2016 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 485462)
You definitely need Doomwatch. :nod:

It'll send you to sleep straight away. I'm four eps into it and it's so studio bound it hurts. Last night was 50 mins of the team listening to NASA radio chatter. :sleep:

Having said that the first three were much better.

They really need to get outside. how can you combat ecological threat from an office. I hope it turns into the film fairly soon. ie - on location.

I'm certainly interested in Doomwatch - albeit a little less so now! ;)

You'll have to let me know whether it gets any better.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th April 2016 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 485463)
I'm certainly interested in Doomwatch - albeit a little less so now! ;)

You'll have to let me know whether it gets any better.

I'm sure you'll like it.

I think my hesitations are because it's nothing like the film version. It's a film i've loved more each time i watch it.

trebor8273 14th April 2016 05:38 PM

This worth getting ?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...386cfd6b93.jpg

EDIT

Forget it got way to many to shows to watch, will pick this up along with the Saint colour years, return of the Saint and Jason King in thier next sale, I doubt I will of watched what I've bought this week by then

trebor8273 15th April 2016 10:10 AM

Ordered these before the sale ends

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...38ab46f059.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...0464f33abb.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...139a60603c.jpg

Justin101 15th April 2016 10:15 AM

I ordered King of the Castle and Adrian Mole last night before the sale ended, it's been ages since I saw Adrian Mole but I've never seen King of the Castle but it looks/sounds bonkers so I've given it a go.

I wish that The Lives and Loves of a She Devil was still in print though :(

Demoncrat 15th April 2016 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 485513)
This worth getting ?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...386cfd6b93.jpg

EDIT

Forget it got way to many to shows to watch, will pick this up along with the Saint colour years, return of the Saint and Jason King in thier next sale, I doubt I will of watched what I've bought this week by then

YES!!! But for feck sake, give it time. It is slow compared with todays edit edit edit style. enjoy!!

trebor8273 15th April 2016 01:59 PM

Anyone seen this one?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...d974ea321a.jpg

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th April 2016 02:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 485662)

Of course this is going to be no help whatsoever Trebor but i was looking at that just this minute. I decided against it being black and white.

I'm making a last minute decision on these three. I like the idea of The Protectors half hour fast paced episodes set and filmed across Europe.

trebor8273 15th April 2016 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 485666)
Of course this is going to be no help whatsoever Trebor but i was looking at that just this minute. I decided against it being black and white.

I'm making a last minute decision on these three. I like the idea of The Protectors half hour fast paced episodes set and filmed across Europe.

think i might swap sappire and steel or the return of the saint for protectors

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th April 2016 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 485672)
think i might swap sappire and steel or the return of the saint for protectors

I got ROTS in the last sale...and Sapphire and Steel in this.

trebor8273 15th April 2016 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 485666)

baron is only 18.99 on amazon if that helps, i try to buy ones that have big difference in price between the sale and amazon price

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th April 2016 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 485676)
baron is only 18.99 on amazon if that helps, i try to buy ones that have big difference in price between the sale and amazon price

There's only a fiver difference between the two series but i bet Amazon shove their prices up once the Network sale is over.

trebor8273 15th April 2016 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 485677)
There's only a fiver difference between the two series but i bet Amazon shove their prices up once the Network sale is over.

That's what I fear. When is the next networK sale?

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th April 2016 02:49 PM

Went with The Protectors in the end.

And Dempsey and Makepiece. It's a series i've put off buying in every tv sale even though i really want to see it again.

That's it now. Spending over for April.

Bugger! Only half way through the month. :doh:

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th April 2016 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 485681)
That's what I fear. When is the next networK sale?

Probably November / December. Although there might be one late summer.

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th April 2016 02:58 PM

The sale has been extended until 4pm on Monday.

Probably seeing as the site was so slow in the first 24 hours.

trebor8273 15th April 2016 03:02 PM

Went for

Return of the Saint

Jason King ( just because of how great the character is in department s)

Sapphire and steel ( something different than the rest of the order)

Dempsey and Makepeace ( which I really enjoyed as a kid)

trebor8273 15th April 2016 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 485684)
The sale has been extended until 4pm on Monday.

Probably seeing as the site was so slow in the first 24 hours.

It would of been better if the sale had been two weeks ( maybe not in the eyes of my wallet )

Deadite 15th April 2016 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 485682)
Went with The Protectors in the end.

And Dempsey and Makepiece. It's a series i've put off buying in every tv sale even though i really want to see it again.

That's it now. Spending over for April.

Bugger! Only half way through the month. :doh:

My spending budget for April was over by the 6th! :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th April 2016 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadite (Post 485687)
My spending budget for April was over by the 6th! :lol:

All from this sale or just in general, Deadite? :lol:

trebor8273 15th April 2016 03:18 PM

Was thinking the be spent way to much this week I'll ring up and see if I can cancel, but it's already at the warehouse

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th April 2016 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 485690)
Was thinking the be spent way to much this week I'll ring up and see if I can cancel, but it's already at the warehouse

The good thing is these series are still decently valued by CEX for cash and exchange.

The Protectors is £12 cash and £17 exchange so it's not too much of a hit if you don't rate it + plus you've had a lot of hours viewing.

trebor8273 15th April 2016 03:49 PM

They must of knowing I had thoughts of cancelling my order as its already been dispatched !

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th April 2016 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 485696)
They must of knowing I had thoughts of cancelling my order as its already been dispatched !

Christ! So have mine. That was quick! An hour exactly following my order email receipt.

trebor8273 15th April 2016 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 485698)
Christ! So have mine. That was quick! An hour exactly following my order email receipt.

Could of been complaints with slow dispatch last week and some people might had slow delivery like me, so they have went into overdrive

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th April 2016 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 485701)
Could of been complaints with slow dispatch last week and some people might had slow delivery like me, so they have went into overdrive

I'm thinking everyone orders stuff immediately that's why the site practically crashed. Just sheer volume.

They must sell a lot of films or they wouldn't be able to release as much product as they do.

I'm pleased to say apart from Timeslip there's not a lot i'm interested in the coming months. Meaning the next sale might just be a couple of films, Timeslip and one or two series as blind buys.

trebor8273 15th April 2016 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 485702)
I'm thinking everyone orders stuff immediately that's why the site practically crashed. Just sheer volume.

They must sell a lot of films or they wouldn't be able to release as much product as they do.

I'm pleased to say apart from Timeslip there's not a lot i'm interested in the coming months. Meaning the next sale might just be a couple of films, Timeslip and one or two series as blind buys.

Next sale for me

Timeslip
The Saint colour years
The protectors
Danger man

And might be a few others

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th April 2016 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 485705)
Next sale for me

Timeslip
The Saint colour years
The protectors
Danger man

And might be a few others

Don't forget the final episode of The Saint is on The Persuaders disc 7. It has Templar teaming up with a brash American throughout the episode. It was the success of this that made them go ahead with The Persuaders.

Deadite 15th April 2016 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 485688)
All from this sale or just in general, Deadite? :lol:

I splurged big-time on the HMV Arrow promotion and as a bibliophile as well, i updated a couple of mystery series i've been following, my monthly luxury budget was gone it a twinkle (although i didn't buy the arrow cult cinema book. I like my substance over style where books are concerned!).