Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   Universal (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/13516-universal.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th June 2017 04:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I picked up the new dvd of The Mummy (1932) this week from HMV in their two for £10 offer.

Although i already own the film and it's many sequels this one intrigued me thanks to it having a bonus disc.

My current copy (which includes The Creature from the Black Lagoon) features a commentary and a 30 minute documentary - Mummy Dearest.

This new release adds He Who Made Monsters: The Life and Art of Jack Pierce - a half hour documentary, an 8 minute Legacy of the Mummy feature and a 90 minute Universal Horror documentary charting the history of the Universal Monsters.

The release, at least on dvd, sports a lovely thick card slip case (or are they called O-cards) with a gorgeous papyrus like texture, or in laymans terms - not glossy. There is a sticker on the slipcase but it will come off.

Even if you have The Mummy on dvd or bluray i think it's worth buying it again for the Universal documentary and slipcase.

trebor8273 18th June 2017 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 538304)
I picked up the new dvd of The Mummy (1932) this week from HMV in their two for £10 offer.

Although i already own the film and it's many sequels this one intrigued me thanks to it having a bonus disc.

My current copy (which includes The Creature from the Black Lagoon) features a commentary and a 30 minute documentary - Mummy Dearest.

This new release adds He Who Made Monsters: The Life and Art of Jack Pierce - a half hour documentary, an 8 minute Legacy of the Mummy feature and a 90 minute Universal Horror documentary charting the history of the Universal Monsters.

The release, at least on dvd, sports a lovely thick card slip case (or are they called O-cards) with a gorgeous papyrus like texture, or in laymans terms - not glossy. There is a sticker on the slipcase but it will come off.

Even if you have The Mummy on dvd or bluray i think it's worth buying it again for the Universal documentary and slipcase.

Its a fantastic documentary but already have it as it was included the monster legacy collection with the busts

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th June 2017 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 538305)
Its a fantastic documentary but already have it as it was included the monster legacy collection with the busts

I have the first US release with the busts which only deals with Dracula, Frankenstein and The Wolfman and it's not on that set. So for me this Mummy release is great.

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th June 2017 05:57 PM

Well The Mummy is currently on $295m worldwide from a budget of $125m

It's only been out 10 days. Almost guaranteed to be the first in the franchise now.

Seems Tom Cruise is the only movie star left who can carry a film on poor word of mouth.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=mummy2016.htm

trebor8273 18th June 2017 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 538312)

It's only been out 10 days. Almost guaranteed to be the first in the franchise now.

Seems Tom Cruise is the only movie star left who can carry a film on poor word of mouth.

The Mummy (2017) (2017) - Box Office Mojo

With any luck they will getting the other movies right as if its done right it could be an interesting franchise, with any luck it wont take then as long as DC.

platostotal 18th June 2017 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 538312)

The Mummy (2017) (2017) - Box Office Mojo

One review read something like "A typical MI style Cruise run, jump and fall action blockbuster but with a Mummy in the way this time" I'll pick it up on BD cause I kinda like that description:lol::lol:

Inspector Abberline 18th June 2017 07:17 PM

franky

1 Attachment(s)
Franky goes Blu...

Attachment 191828

Justin101 19th June 2017 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 538304)

Have you watched the doc yet Dem? If it's any good I'll probably pick up the DVD as it's currently 2 for £10 (i'm sure I can find another DVD to pair up with it).

I'm looking forward to the Legacy sets coming down in price a bit, the 'Monsters' set can be had for £14 at the moment so fingers crossed.

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th June 2017 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 538360)
Have you watched the doc yet Dem? If it's any good I'll probably pick up the DVD as it's currently 2 for £10 (i'm sure I can find another DVD to pair up with it).

I'm looking forward to the Legacy sets coming down in price a bit, the 'Monsters' set can be had for £14 at the moment so fingers crossed.

No i haven't watched the doc yet. I chapter skipped through it and it seems good. Thought i'd leave it till it was more Universal Monster type weather - Autumn / Winter.

Egypt and heat? Well this weekend seemed okay to watch The Mummy again. :lol:

Justin101 1st November 2017 06:30 PM

The Universal Monsters legacy collections are currently £11.99 each on Zavvi, the offer sold out pretty fast last time they did these so cheaply so don't snooze on it.

I just ordered Frankenstein Legacy, I already have the Dracula one from last month when Zoom had them cheap for a flash sale.

It's a shame that so many of the films cross over into the different sets, you end up with multiple copies of certain films :(

J Harker 1st November 2017 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 556271)
The Universal Monsters legacy collections are currently £11.99 each on Zavvi, the offer sold out pretty fast last time they did these so cheaply so don't snooze on it.

I just ordered Frankenstein Legacy, I already have the Dracula one from last month when Zoom had them cheap for a flash sale.

It's a shame that so many of the films cross over into the different sets, you end up with multiple copies of certain films :(

Cheers for that Justin. Just ordered the Mummy Legacy. Seems to have the least crossover with the other sets. Though i will pick them all up eventually.
Probably just before Universal do a single all encompassing set typically. [emoji23]

Nostalgic 2nd November 2017 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 556274)
Cheers for that Justin. Just ordered the Mummy Legacy. Seems to have the least crossover with the other sets. Though i will pick them all up eventually.
Probably just before Universal do a single all encompassing set typically. [emoji23]

Lol! That would be funny as I now have all the sets plus the coffin box of the 8 original monster movies!

Does anyone think we're going to get the Invisible Man & Creature sets on blu?

Justin101 2nd November 2017 08:53 AM

It depends on how many multiple films they were in! I don't actually know...

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd November 2017 09:41 AM

Just seen a bit of Sherlock Holmes: Terror by Night on one of the many free view channels.

I think some of the Rathbone Holmes films might get an airing this month.

Justin101 2nd November 2017 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 556330)
Just seen a bit of Sherlock Holmes: Terror by Night on one of the many free view channels.

I think some of the Rathbone Holmes films might get an airing this month.

I've got the DVD box set of the Rathbone films, they're great!

Dave Boy 2nd November 2017 12:42 PM

Ordered all the Blu ray Legacy sets from Zavvi.
Fantastic price. Almost unbelievable that they have reduced the price to £11.99
So glad I waited.

Son Of Frankenstein has some alternate scenes in it. Nice.

J Harker 2nd November 2017 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 556340)
So glad I waited.

My Mummy set got dispatched this morning too. I was a little apprehensive as the last time I ordered some real bargains from Zavvi they mysteriously become unavailable before dispatch.

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd November 2017 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 556336)
I've got the DVD box set of the Rathbone films, they're great!

I've had the box set a few years now but only watched them once.

Just bought the five Peter Cushing Holmes stories in a box set from Sainsburys this lunchtime.

Justin101 2nd November 2017 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 556346)
I've had the box set a few years now but only watched them once.

Just bought the five Peter Cushing Holmes stories in a box set from Sainsburys this lunchtime.

Did you notice that Eureka is bringing out Billy Wilder's 'The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes', one I've not seen before but the trailer looks great!

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd November 2017 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 556349)
Did you notice that Eureka is bringing out Billy Wilder's 'The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes', one I've not seen before but the trailer looks great!

I did yes. Again as with yourself i haven't seen it.

Have you seen the series The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes?

I keep looking at them each Network sale but have yet to take the plunge.

The series gets a mention in Rigby's English Gothic book. Sadly the sale was over when i noticed that. :skull:

Justin101 2nd November 2017 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 556350)
Have you seen the series The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes?

I keep looking at them each Network sale but have yet to take the plunge.

The series gets a mention in Rigby's English Gothic book. Sadly the sale was over when i noticed that. :skull:

Nope!
I'm going to start reading that book soon, I'm really looking forward to it, hopefully I'll get the American installment for Christmas it's on my list!

Dave Boy 3rd November 2017 09:24 AM

Received notification that all my monster Legacy blu ray sets have been despatched from Zavvi. :skull:

J Harker 3rd November 2017 09:39 AM

Just arrived. Way to go Zavvi.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...c2d23e47c7.jpg

Nostalgic 3rd November 2017 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 556340)
So glad I waited.

I don't know the films that well but have all the sets (paid twenty quid a box though, should have waited!), are the alternate scened "in" the movie as opposed to being an extra?

Dave Boy 3rd November 2017 10:21 AM

Yep. The scenes are in the film. :thumb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSoAcmsPmmA

Dave Boy 4th November 2017 10:32 AM

Zavvi no longer have the Legacy Blu ray sets listed at £11.99.
In fact, they are no longer listed at all.

Dave Boy 6th November 2017 03:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Zavvi broke the letter box this morning. Awesome!

Attachment 198568 Attachment 198569

Rob4 6th November 2017 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 556717)
Zavvi broke the letter box this morning. Awesome!

Attachment 198568 Attachment 198569

the packaging looks erm... inconsistent...

Dave Boy 6th November 2017 04:36 PM

The Mummy box has a sleeve on it.

Dave Boy 6th November 2017 04:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 198571

Rob4 7th November 2017 08:48 AM

i've been importing mine - madness i know - but they all have sleeves.

RedEyeTheCylon 7th November 2017 03:49 PM

The Frankenstein legacy set is back in stock at Zavvi.

J Harker 7th November 2017 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedEyeTheCylon (Post 556818)
The Frankenstein legacy set is back in stock at Zavvi.

Even cheaper than the other day too

Graeme73 8th November 2017 09:42 AM

Thanks for the heads up - £11 for 8 films :)

RedEyeTheCylon 8th November 2017 03:24 PM

Zavvi have the Dracula legacy set back in stock at £10.99.

Graeme73 9th November 2017 08:23 AM

Yep. I picked up The Mummy Legacy too

RedEyeTheCylon 9th November 2017 07:49 PM

The Wolfman legacy is also back in stock at £9.99!

J Harker 13th November 2017 06:28 PM

Has anyone had any trouble with some of the discs in the Legacy sets? Namely the ones with two features on. I can't get past the 'select which film' screen on either of the discs in the Mummy set that feature two films.

Justin101 13th November 2017 07:01 PM

I've only used the Dracula set so far, but no problems, just click on the poster for either film and it starts playing! What player do you have? I'm using a Samsung.

J Harker 13th November 2017 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 557310)
I've only used the Dracula set so far, but no problems, just click on the poster for either film and it starts playing! What player do you have? I'm using a Samsung.

Samsung here too. I get as far as the page with the two posters. And when i click on one the player just goes into limbo.
I'll try them on my ps4 in a bit. Maybe the player needs updating.