Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The Cult-Films (Nouveaux / Argent ) Label thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/13830-cult-films-nouveaux-argent-label-thread.html)

Susan Foreman 12th October 2018 03:05 PM

The Cult-Films (Nouveaux / Argent ) Label thread

The Finest Cult and Classic World Cinema on DVD and Blu-ray | Cult Films .co.uk

Susan Foreman 12th October 2018 03:06 PM

OPERA
Format: Dual-Format (BD/DVD)
Release date: 19 November

"Dario Argento's horror masterpiece, restored in 2K with instruction from the maestro himself and with reference to his own print.

Dario Argento (SUSPIRIA) returns to CultFilms with this breath-taking new restoration of his visionary horror masterpiece OPERA. Splattered with stylistic bloodshed and soaring cinematography, OPERA shows Italy's master of horror at the very height of his game.

When young understudy Betty (Cristina Marsillach) takes the lead role in a new operatic production of Verdi's Macbeth, she soon attracts the attention of a knife-wielding psycho who forces her to watch as he despatches her friends and colleagues with sadistic delight. Can Betty free herself from this unending nightmare or does a more terrifying fate await? OPERA is a ravishing return to the giallo style Argento made his name with, awash with black-gloved killers, lavish bloodletting and the director's trademark Grand Guignol excess.

CultFilms is proud to bring you this gore-soaked terror classic in a stunning new 2K restoration, carried out with instructions from the maestro himself and in reference to his own, preferred, original cinema print.

SPECIAL FEATURES
• ‘Aria of Fear’: a brand new interview with director Dario Argento
• ‘Opera Backstage’: a unique behind the scenes documentary
• Restoration featurette

TECH SPECS
• 1080p HD
• Format: Dual-Format (BD/DVD)
• Aspect ratio: 2.35:1
• Feature length: BD: 107m 13s, DVD: 94m 38s
• DVD: 94mins 38secs
• Certificate: 18
• Audio: English and Italian
• Optional English subs
• Region code: BD: B, DVD: 2.
• Cat: CULT503
• RRP: £14.99
• Original Release: 1987

Pre-order coming soon"

Susan Foreman 9th November 2018 06:01 PM

"***OPERA RELEASE DATE UPDATE***
The street date for our Blu-ray release of Dario Argento's OPERA has had to be pushed back to 21 January 2019. But it will be shipping from our shop from 19 November, so you can get your black-gloved hands on it there for early delivery."

Pre-order = £16.99

Nostalgic 21st November 2018 05:07 PM

Anybody got their opera yet?
No dispatch email for me yet.
Hoping they post soon as money was taken upon order.

gag 21st November 2018 06:30 PM

At least the cover artwork decent a lot better than over 75% of crap a lot of companies produce for their films these days .

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 21st November 2018 07:58 PM

Not ordering this until someone actually says it's arrived....

Nostalgic 21st November 2018 08:26 PM

Will post when (if) it arrives, they shouldn't really put the whole "order from us get it early" thing unless they plan on posting early!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 21st November 2018 08:31 PM

:thankingyou:

Susan Foreman 22nd November 2018 06:05 AM

"+++IMPORTANT UPDATE ON OPERA SHIPPING +++

'We apologise for the slight delay in the shipping of your order, please note that most of the orders will be shipped in the next few days. Thank you for your patience'"

Justin101 22nd November 2018 09:28 AM

I'm curious to see how different it looks to the Scorpion release from earlier in the year. I won't be buying it again though, I'm just curious to see if it looks the same!

Rik 22nd November 2018 10:38 AM

Yeah, I’m not bothered about buying it again, the Scorpion release will do for me, unless Arrow put it out in a similar set like their other Argento’s (highly unlikely) :nod:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 22nd November 2018 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 592832)
"+++IMPORTANT UPDATE ON OPERA SHIPPING +++

'We apologise for the slight delay in the shipping of your order, please note that most of the orders will be shipped in the next few days. Thank you for your patience'"

Most? :confused:

Nostalgic 22nd November 2018 08:32 PM

Have emailed them as i got no sense out of them when i phoned, they basically took my surname & i couldn't comprehend what they said after that as their accent was so thick!

Hoping they post this thing soon!!!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 23rd November 2018 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostalgic (Post 592871)
Have emailed them as i got no sense out of them when i phoned, they basically took my surname & i couldn't comprehend what they said after that as their accent was so thick!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXILzUpVx7A

Nostalgic 28th November 2018 06:19 PM

No dispatch e mail, this is a joke. Phoning these idiots on friday & asking for a refund. Will buy the scorpion release.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 28th November 2018 09:00 PM

Likewise.
I find it strange that it's not being released until January,but it's shipping now from their site.I know 88 do this but never so far in advance....

Nostalgic 29th November 2018 09:08 PM

Has ANYONE on here got this yet, I only ordered direct assuming they would post early, if it's going to be posted in january or not at all I will not be amused!

Rik 29th November 2018 11:26 PM

Same guys that run Shameless, says a lot really :lol:

Nostalgic 30th November 2018 11:49 AM

Phones them, they just repeated what the e mail said & said "most customers have recieved it".

DO NOT USE

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th November 2018 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostalgic (Post 593511)
Phones them, they just repeated what the e mail said & said "most customers have recieved it".

DO NOT USE

So did they look at your order whilst you were on the phone to them? Had they shipped it? Is it still awaiting shipping?

This sounds really shady if no one here has got their copy.

Nostalgic 30th November 2018 01:40 PM

They took my surname & said that i should have had an e mail saying dispatched. Which i dont.
This is very suspicious, who else here has ordered this? Anyone?

Susan Foreman 30th November 2018 02:56 PM

Sounds like some people will question this!

"Feast your pinned open eyes on OPERA! As of today, all pre-orders direct from our site have been despatched and will be arriving with you soon."

Nostalgic 30th November 2018 06:47 PM

So, got this email just now that reads: " your cult films order has been marked as complete on our side"

That sounds massively dodge! Who wants to bet it won't turn up.

Demoncrat 30th November 2018 08:29 PM

That does sound strange. A whole company having a senior moment? Hmmm .....

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th November 2018 10:19 PM

Basically they've only just shipped it.

I would put money on them royally screwing up then not admitting it but fobbing everyone off with the same story that most have been shipped...you were one of the unlucky ones though. *cough* as was everyone else!

Nostalgic 1st December 2018 01:19 PM

It turned up! It's a Christmas miracle!

Number 29

Will not be using again sadly, the next thing they do that I want, will get from hmv after release date.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 10th December 2018 07:33 PM

Glad I relented and ordered it.
Not only does it look and sound superb-it also has a reversible cover with original art!:xmasnuts:

Susan Foreman 20th January 2020 05:00 PM

Fellini's '' - Blu-ray pre-order available from Cult Films Direct - £19.99

Release date: February 3rd

"Fellini is one of the most original and creative minds of the 20th Century, he is acclaimed by critics and filmmakers alike as one of the most influential directors of all time, and his “8½“ is acknowledged as his masterpiece revered as the most important European film ever made.

Marcello Mastroianni plays Guido (Fellini’s alter-ego), a successful filmmaker who, embarking on his next film, is overcome by director’s block and finds he has no story to tell ! Struggling to find inspiration, he is harassed by his producers, his crew, his wife (Anouk Aimée), even by his mistress (Sandra Milo), so he retreats into fantasy, where his muse appears embodied by Claudia Cardinale, and he revels in dreamy memories of his life and lovers… Until memories, fantasy and reality merge in the director’s mind and on screen into an astonishing, masterful spectacle, culminating in the electrifying triumph of optimism that becomes 8½.

As Fellini-Guido says “Life is a party let’s live it together!”"

Special Features
  • New intimate interview with actor, and Fellini’s off-screen companion, Sandra Milo
  • New interview with Lina Wertmuller, Fellini’s assistant director on 8 1/2
  • ‘Lost Sequence’ documentary on the making of 8 1/2 featuring interviews Fellini and cast and crew. The documentary examines one of film’s great mysteries, where a massive sequence was shot with all the cast, but not included in the film, and never seen again
  • New, improved English subtitles

Specs
  • Full HD 1080p from 2K scan with re-grading and restoration
  • Region B
  • Aspect ratio: 1.77:1
  • Black and white
  • Italian audio with subtitles
  • Certification: 15
  • Running time: 138 mins

Susan Foreman 20th January 2020 05:14 PM

'Federico Fellini Four Films' - Blu-ray pre-order available from Cult Films Direct - £39.99

Release date: February 10th

"The 4 essential Fellini films in one must-have boxset collection. One of the most original creative minds of the 20th Century, Fellini is unanimously voted by critics and filmmakers as one of the greatest directors of all time.

Fellini’s most acclaimed work, 8 1/2 won 2 Oscars, it is perennially voted the ultimate film ever, with Mastroianni playing Fellini’s alter-ego, a film director with a creative block: struggling, he retreats in dreamy recollections of his life and lovers…

La Dolce Vita is Fellini’s most popular masterpiece . An epoch-making landmark having become a cultural reference and an expression in itself, it is filled with mesmerising images like Anita Ekberg frolicking in Rome’s Trevi fountain. It is one of the most influential and truly iconic films of all times.

Giuietta degli Spiriti [Julia Of The Spirits] is Fellini’s 1st colour masterpiece. Presented here for the 1st time ever in full-HD finally doing justice to the director’s dazzling explosion of ‘felliniesque’ vision. This idiosyncratic paean to Woman a breathtakingly beautiful fantastical carnival ride with outstanding colour cinematography.

Rooted in Neorealism, I Vitelloni is a pivotal Fellini masterpiece, observing the mores of 1950s Italy where a clique of idlers, the ‘Vitelloni’ of the title, try to avoid adulthood. It is the avowed prototype for films like ‘Mean Street’ American Graffiti and others…"

Special Features
8 1/2
  • New intimate interview with actor, and Fellini’s off-screen companion, Sandra Milo
  • New interview with Lina Wertmuller, Fellini’s assistant director on 8 1/2
  • ‘Lost Sequence’ documentary on the making of 8 1/2 featuring interviews Fellini and cast and crew. The documentary examines one of film’s great mysteries, where a massive sequence was shot with all the cast, but not included in the film, and never seen again

La Dolca Vida
  • Interview with star Anita Ekberg

Giuietta degli Spiriti
  • ‘Understanding Fellini’: an audio commentary by film historian Kat Ellinger
  • ‘Dazzling Spirits’: an exclusive video essay by Italian cinema expert Prof. Guido Bonsaver.

I Vitelloni
  • ‘Becoming Fellini: an exclusive video essay by Italian cinema expert Prof. Guido Bonsaver

Tech Specs
8 1/2
  • Full HD 1080p from 2K scan with re-grading and restoration
  • Region B
  • Black and white
  • Running time: 138 mins

La Dolce Vita
  • Full HD 1080p from 4K scan with re-grading and restoration
  • Region B
  • Black and white
  • Running time: 180 mins

Giuietta degli Spiriti
  • Full HD 1080 with re-grading and restoration
  • Region B
  • Aspect ratio: 1.85:1
  • Colour
  • Running time: 133 mins

I Vitelloni
  • Full HD 1080 with re-grading and restoration
  • Region B
  • Aspect ratio: 4:3
  • Black and white
  • Italian audio with English subtitles
  • Certification: PG
  • Running time: 112 mins

Susan Foreman 16th November 2020 04:50 PM

'The Night Porter' (1974) - Blu-Ray pre-order available from Cult Films direct - £16.99

Release date: November 30

"CultFilms is proud to present the 4K restoration of Liliana Cavani’s provocative classic THE NIGHT PORTER, with brand new extras that explore the film’s controversial past and make it ripe for re-assessment.

This definitive release is enabled by the generous and essential participation of director Liliana Cavani and star Charlotte Rampling.

Max (Dirk Bogarde) is a night porter in a Vienna hotel in the 1950’s. When beautiful Lucia (Charlotte Rampling) checks in, they recognise each other. Max was an SS officer in a Nazi concentration camp who had abused and tortured the then-teenage Lucia, a prisoner. But Lucia makes excuses to her husband, an orchestra conductor, who leaves to continue his tour, and she stays behind as she and Max find themselves compelled to reignite what had in fact been their former intense sadomasochistic relationship.

Max is a reluctant member of a group of former SS officers who are ruthlessly covering up their pasts. Thinking that she will denounce them, they soon consider Lucia a threat and urge Max to hand her over to them. He refuses and hides out with Lucia, while his former comrades exert their threats…

This is the story of an ‘amour-fou’, an obsessive passion, which compels two lovers to be together despite their being lucidly aware of contravening all morality, even their own; and despite the certainty of their oncoming tragic destiny.

Lillian Cavani’s tale of passion, beyond all morality or societal construct, has been controversial ever since its initial release in 1974 – provoking indefinable overwhelming emotions which are wildly conflicting.

Now, over 45 years later, Liliana Cavani’s story of obsessive passion and tragic destiny, is presented in this definitive 4K restoration, overseen by Cavani herself and finally doing justice to her challenging and extraordinary vision."

Special features:
  • Interview with Liliana Cavani
  • Interview with Charlotte Rampling

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 16th November 2020 07:30 PM

Definitive?:lol:

Special features:

Interview with Liliana Cavani
Interview with Charlotte Rampling

Rob4 16th November 2020 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 640345)
Definitive?:lol:

Special features:

Interview with Liliana Cavani
Interview with Charlotte Rampling

The 4K upgrade will probably make a difference but i don't think i like this one enough to upgrade from the Criterion

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 16th November 2020 08:44 PM

I'll be getting it.
I sold the old (Starz?) disc long ago.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 15th December 2020 08:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The new NIGHT PORTER disc looks stunning!

Also comes with nice reversible artwork. ;)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 15th December 2020 08:18 PM

Also picked up their ONE DEADLY SUMMER.

They're re-releasing SUSPIRIA again according to Amazon/Blu rage on Dec.28th....

Anyone know what that's about?

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st September 2021 06:48 PM

Is the Cult Films release of Suspiria taken from a 4K master rather than it being a 4K disc?

I'm pretty sure it is but before i order it i'd like to be 100%. It's the way it's listed as Suspiria 4K that throws the slightest doubt.

Justin101 21st September 2021 07:36 PM

The one available in shops is a normal bluray, they did a special mail-order only 4k UHD but that's long since sold out.

Before you buy it though, a lot of people prefer the Synapse version because the colour grading looks more like Technicolor, the European master still looks great in my opinion but it's slightly less vivid.

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st September 2021 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 659741)
The one available in shops is a normal bluray, they did a special mail-order only 4k UHD but that's long since sold out.

Before you buy it though, a lot of people prefer the Synapse version because the colour grading looks more like Technicolor, the European master still looks great in my opinion but it's slightly less vivid.

It's £12.50 delivered from Cult Films, however much is the Synapse release?

Justin101 21st September 2021 09:08 PM

Probably double that! The Cult Films one still looks great though.

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st September 2021 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 659743)
Probably double that! The Cult Films one still looks great though.

Didn't Argento oversee that one? Or am i making that up?

Plus the Cult release has the Newman / Jones commentary which is a selling point for me.