Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The Arrow Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/6211-arrow-thread.html)

J Harker 28th June 2017 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 539734)
Where was this from?

Whoever wrote that was a knob. The song is a ballad on a piano. Why the **** would the walls vibrate?

The line isn't even in the film. It were my poor attempt at sarcasm Dem. Idiots expecting 70 year old black and white movies to give their surround sound system a good workout just because its a dvd. Was the type of mentality that seemed to turn up regularly in the early days of dvd.

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th June 2017 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 539741)
The line isn't even in the film. It were my poor attempt at sarcasm Dem. Idiots expecting 70 year old black and white movies to give their surround sound system a good workout just because its a dvd. Was the type of mentality that seemed to turn up regularly in the early days of dvd.

No it isn't but it's one of the most misquoted movie quotes ever.

Ilsa says "Play it once Sam, for old times sake"

Then later Bogie says "You played it for her, play it for me, if she can stand it so can i"

I hope i haven't misquoted my all time fave film.

Rik 28th June 2017 11:16 PM

Yeah, it's featured in this article, along with plenty of others that I'm guilty of misquoting :nod:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.b...n-saying-wrong

keirarts 29th June 2017 08:57 AM

With digital fix ( who also recently gave stunning marx brothers restorations 7 for video) I think there may also be a bit of nervousness as some of the denziens of places like bluerage.com (copyright stephen ;)) can be a bit full on when they disagree and who wants the hassle.

Personally if I stick up a review anywhere i'm hesitant to score out of 10 as its pretty arbitrary.

Michael Brooke 29th June 2017 09:11 AM

Possibly the stupidest score I've ever seen was 3/10 for "picture quality" on White of the Eye.

This is a state-of-the-art scan off the original camera neg, and looks pretty much exactly as it was supposed to look, allowing for the differences in media (I saw it in 35mm back in the day, so can confirm this first hand). In other words, in terms of "picture quality" it should by rights be a minimum of 8 or 9 - you might have a few nitpicks here and there, but in all other respects it's bang on.

But this reviewer didn't like the use of heavy grain, high contrast and desaturated colours in the flashback sequences, despite this being an artistic decision that was spelled out in both the extras and the booklet, and decided that because of these shots alone (which only amount to a small proportion of the film as a whole), the "picture quality" deserved low marks. But he wasn't reviewing the quality of the disc, he was reviewing the original cinematography!

Arrow actually complained about that one, and got a mealy-mouthed response that yes it probably wasn't very fair but the reviewer wasn't being paid, so what could the editor do?

keirarts 29th June 2017 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Brooke (Post 539759)
Possibly the stupidest score I've ever seen was 3/10 for "picture quality" on White of the Eye.

This is a state-of-the-art scan off the original camera neg, and looks pretty much exactly as it was supposed to look, allowing for the differences in media (I saw it in 35mm back in the day, so can confirm this first hand). In other words, in terms of "picture quality" it should by rights be a minimum of 8 or 9 - you might have a few nitpicks here and there, but in all other respects it's bang on.

But this reviewer didn't like the use of heavy grain, high contrast and desaturated colours in the flashback sequences, despite this being an artistic decision that was spelled out in both the extras and the booklet, and decided that because of these shots alone (which only amount to a small proportion of the film as a whole), the "picture quality" deserved low marks. But he wasn't reviewing the quality of the disc, he was reviewing the original cinematography!

Arrow actually complained about that one, and got a mealy-mouthed response that yes it probably wasn't very fair but the reviewer wasn't being paid, so what could the editor do?

oh, btw Michael. thanks for the heads up on Facebook about that Marx brothers set. Had a scan through them when they arrived and they look great. Fantastic bargain. I notice the price shot way back up soon after.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 29th June 2017 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 539758)
With digital fix ( who also recently gave stunning marx brothers restorations 7 for video) I think there may also be a bit of nervousness as some of the denziens of places like bluerage.com (copyright stephen ;)) can be a bit full on when they disagree and who wants the hassle.

Personally if I stick up a review anywhere i'm hesitant to score out of 10 as its pretty arbitrary.

****ing keyboard gangsters eh? :rolleyes:

Love to meet some of these dicks face to face.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 29th June 2017 03:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Anyway.
Ordered this.
I collect all versions of this fave.:nod:

keirarts 29th June 2017 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 539784)
Anyway.
Ordered this.
I collect all versions of this fave.:nod:

I'd be interested to know how it stacks up against 88's

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 29th June 2017 04:12 PM

Will have to wait7-8 weeks.