Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The BFI Blu-ray and DVD Release Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/9116-bfi-blu-ray-dvd-release-thread.html)

trouserpress 8th May 2012 11:46 AM

The BFI Dual Format releases

I've searched and there doesn't seem to be a specific thread for this great range of blu rays from the BFI. There's some real cult gems iin there too. Anyone have a favourite?

If you're not sure what they are, Digital Fix are currently doing a great retrospective of the entire range here.

For what it's worth, my favourite so far is tied between Pete Walker's Man of Violence and Norman J. Warren's Her Private Hell, but they're all great!

brain dead 8th May 2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trouserpress (Post 239988)
I've searched and there doesn't seem to be a specific thread for this great range of blu rays from the BFI. There's some real cult gems iin there too. Anyone have a favourite?

If you're not sure what they are, Digital Fix are currently doing a great retrospective of the entire range here.

For what it's worth, my favourite so far is tied between Pete Walker's Man of Violence and Norman J. Warren's Her Private Hell, but they're all great!

I think I've got about half a dozen of these. All great quality blu-rays.
I think I only have one since they went dual format, a situation I must remedy.

trouserpress 8th May 2012 01:55 PM

They've since gone back and re-released their first batch as dual format as well. I have several that are just blu ray. it's handy having both, but I'm quite happy!

Have you seen London in the Raw? It's amazing to see that sleaze in high def!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th May 2012 03:13 PM

I also have a fair few of these releases. BFI are easily one of the best labels out there at the moment. :nod:

ReturnToZero 8th May 2012 04:46 PM

I need some of those! Except for Salo, that one looks like the brown sausages at Aldo Valetti's dinner party compared to my precious Criterion DVD.

trouserpress 8th May 2012 04:51 PM

Really? Is the transfer bad on the Salo blu ray? That's one I've never seen and would like to get.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th May 2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trouserpress (Post 240109)
Really? Is the transfer bad on the Salo blu ray? That's one I've never seen and would like to get.

Apparently, it has really bad Edge Enhancement. Can't say I noticed it, myself.

ReturnToZero 8th May 2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 240112)
Apparently, it has really bad Edge Enhancement. Can't say I noticed it, myself.

You can see it around the leafs and the over the roof of the buildings:
Blu-ray.com - Screenshot

Another quick compare:
BFI: Blu-ray.com - Screenshot
Criterion: Blu-ray.com - Screenshot

brain dead 8th May 2012 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trouserpress (Post 240048)
They've since gone back and re-released their first batch as dual format as well. I have several that are just blu ray. it's handy having both, but I'm quite happy!

Have you seen London in the Raw? It's amazing to see that sleaze in high def!

I haven't seen London in the Raw but since earlier I have just ordered 4 more Flipside titles. One of which is that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReturnToZero (Post 240106)
I need some of those! Except for Salo, that one looks like the brown sausages at Aldo Valetti's dinner party compared to my precious Criterion DVD.

While it is a BFI release, Salo isn't of the Flipside series, though.

trouserpress 8th May 2012 06:33 PM

[QUOTE=brain dead;240116]I haven't seen London in the Raw but since earlier I have just ordered 4 more Flipside titles. One of which is that.

Cool. It's a great film to put on during a party!

What others did you order?