Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The BFI Blu-ray and DVD Release Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/9116-bfi-blu-ray-dvd-release-thread.html)

trouserpress 8th May 2012 11:46 AM

The BFI Dual Format releases

I've searched and there doesn't seem to be a specific thread for this great range of blu rays from the BFI. There's some real cult gems iin there too. Anyone have a favourite?

If you're not sure what they are, Digital Fix are currently doing a great retrospective of the entire range here.

For what it's worth, my favourite so far is tied between Pete Walker's Man of Violence and Norman J. Warren's Her Private Hell, but they're all great!

brain dead 8th May 2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trouserpress (Post 239988)
I've searched and there doesn't seem to be a specific thread for this great range of blu rays from the BFI. There's some real cult gems iin there too. Anyone have a favourite?

If you're not sure what they are, Digital Fix are currently doing a great retrospective of the entire range here.

For what it's worth, my favourite so far is tied between Pete Walker's Man of Violence and Norman J. Warren's Her Private Hell, but they're all great!

I think I've got about half a dozen of these. All great quality blu-rays.
I think I only have one since they went dual format, a situation I must remedy.

trouserpress 8th May 2012 01:55 PM

They've since gone back and re-released their first batch as dual format as well. I have several that are just blu ray. it's handy having both, but I'm quite happy!

Have you seen London in the Raw? It's amazing to see that sleaze in high def!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th May 2012 03:13 PM

I also have a fair few of these releases. BFI are easily one of the best labels out there at the moment. :nod:

ReturnToZero 8th May 2012 04:46 PM

I need some of those! Except for Salo, that one looks like the brown sausages at Aldo Valetti's dinner party compared to my precious Criterion DVD.

trouserpress 8th May 2012 04:51 PM

Really? Is the transfer bad on the Salo blu ray? That's one I've never seen and would like to get.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th May 2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trouserpress (Post 240109)
Really? Is the transfer bad on the Salo blu ray? That's one I've never seen and would like to get.

Apparently, it has really bad Edge Enhancement. Can't say I noticed it, myself.

ReturnToZero 8th May 2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 240112)
Apparently, it has really bad Edge Enhancement. Can't say I noticed it, myself.

You can see it around the leafs and the over the roof of the buildings:
Blu-ray.com - Screenshot

Another quick compare:
BFI: Blu-ray.com - Screenshot
Criterion: Blu-ray.com - Screenshot

brain dead 8th May 2012 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trouserpress (Post 240048)
They've since gone back and re-released their first batch as dual format as well. I have several that are just blu ray. it's handy having both, but I'm quite happy!

Have you seen London in the Raw? It's amazing to see that sleaze in high def!

I haven't seen London in the Raw but since earlier I have just ordered 4 more Flipside titles. One of which is that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReturnToZero (Post 240106)
I need some of those! Except for Salo, that one looks like the brown sausages at Aldo Valetti's dinner party compared to my precious Criterion DVD.

While it is a BFI release, Salo isn't of the Flipside series, though.

trouserpress 8th May 2012 06:33 PM

[QUOTE=brain dead;240116]I haven't seen London in the Raw but since earlier I have just ordered 4 more Flipside titles. One of which is that.

Cool. It's a great film to put on during a party!

What others did you order?

brain dead 8th May 2012 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trouserpress (Post 240143)
Cool. It's a great film to put on during a party!

What others did you order?

Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush, Her Private Hell and pre-ordered Nightbirds.

trouserpress 8th May 2012 07:39 PM

Mulberry Bush is fantastic. I love that film. Also a big fan of Her Private Hell, although in the interest of balance, I should point out that I wrote some of the notes in the accompanying booklet...

Make Them Die Slowly 8th May 2012 09:14 PM

I'm a big fan of Mulberry Bush, as it's plan great and filmed in my home town.

"Requiem for a Village" is the favourite of my limited collection of 3 Flipside films. The other being "Permissive" which has a grotty fags, beer and sex vibe that I like.

trouserpress 9th May 2012 08:13 AM

I haven't seen Requiem. What's it about?

Mojo 9th May 2012 08:12 PM

One of my favourite dvd labels. I have over a dozen of these and badly need to add more!

Many favourites here, including Private Road and Permissive. It's terrific when they dig up some real obscurities - Little Malcolm was a film I'd never even heard of, but turned out to be an absolute joy.

It would be nice to see some more horror / thriller titles. Jose Larraz's Symptoms would be an excellent choice.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th May 2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trouserpress (Post 240254)

I bought this last week,in fact might give it a whirl tonight.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th May 2012 08:21 PM

MAN OF VIOLENCE is another cracking package.

I hope to see THE DEVILS in that flipside list in the future.;)

Make Them Die Slowly 10th May 2012 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trouserpress (Post 240254)

Farming, rural customs, ghosts/zombies and rape! It's slightly odd to say the least.

trouserpress 10th May 2012 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 240558)
Farming, rural customs, ghosts/zombies and rape! It's slightly odd to say the least.

Sold.

trouserpress 10th May 2012 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 240495)
MAN OF VIOLENCE is another cracking package.

I hope to see THE DEVILS in that flipside list in the future.;)

I have to confess I've only watched The Big Switch, the extra Pete Walker feature, which was fun.

It's highly unlikely re. The Devils. The current DVD release is as good as it's going to get for a while yet I think.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 11th May 2012 11:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic of my flipside collection so far:

The Bed Sitting Room, Herostratus, and Man of Violence are the original BD only releases, whilst the rest are the newer dual format releases.

Gojirosan 11th May 2012 12:01 PM

I have Deep End and Alice. I don't actually know if they are part of the Flipside range or not though!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 11th May 2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 240962)
I have Deep End and Alice. I don't actually know if they are part of the Flipside range or not though!

Deep End is, but Alice isn't.

Both fantastic releases of great films, though. :nod:

trouserpress 11th May 2012 12:32 PM

I forgot Deep End! I'd have to say that's probably my absolute favourite so far. I wrote a piece on it last year for Cinema Retro. I am in love with Jane Asher in that film.

Gojirosan 11th May 2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trouserpress (Post 240976)
I forgot Deep End! I'd have to say that's probably my absolute favourite so far. I wrote a piece on it last year for Cinema Retro. I am in love with Jane Asher in that film.

She's like a Manic Pixie Dream Girl with depth of character. I love that the film doesn't shy away from showing her awful side.

Just in case:

Manic Pixie Dream Girl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

trouserpress 11th May 2012 12:42 PM

That's really interesting. I've never heard of the MPDG concept, but it certainly fits.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 11th May 2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trouserpress (Post 240586)
I have to confess I've only watched The Big Switch, the extra Pete Walker feature, which was fun.

It's highly unlikely re. The Devils. The current DVD release is as good as it's going to get for a while yet I think.

Blu Ray mate.:pray:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 11th May 2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 240558)

And having watched it last night,I'd say you were spot on mate!

Live birth anyone?

it'smebilly 11th May 2012 07:21 PM

I need some recommendations, I really want to add some more of these to my collection. What would you recommend?

I have the Deep End Blu already, fantastic film and package. What else do I need?;)

Hawkmonger 11th May 2012 07:41 PM

Her Private Hell. The only one I can recomend (as it's the only one I own) but it's really rather good.

it'smebilly 11th May 2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 241099)
Her Private Hell. The only one I can recomend (as it's the only one I own) but it's really rather good.

Cheers :) will get on that straight away. If you haven't seen Deep End I'd certainly recommend that.

Paul@TheOverlook 11th May 2012 07:59 PM

Black Panther, which is out this month, is great.

Hawkmonger 11th May 2012 08:03 PM

Wait, WHAT? Black Panther is getting a BFI release?
Ian Merrik's classic true-to-life murder thriller is coming to BFI?
Oh that is getting BOUGHT! :rockon: :clap:

Paul@TheOverlook 11th May 2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 241122)
Wait, WHAT? Black Panther is getting a BFI release?
Ian Merrik's classic true-to-life murder thriller is coming to BFI?
Oh that is getting BOUGHT! :rockon: :clap:

Yep!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 11th May 2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by it'smebilly (Post 241085)
I need some recommendations, I really want to add some more of these to my collection. What would you recommend?

I have the Deep End Blu already, fantastic film and package. What else do I need?;)

The Bed Sitting Room and Man of Violence are two of my favourites from the collection.

Gojirosan 11th May 2012 08:31 PM

I MUST buy The Black Panther...if I can stop spending money on Spaghetti Westerns for five minutes...

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 11th May 2012 08:57 PM

Yep The Black Panther is a must have!

Make Them Die Slowly 11th May 2012 11:40 PM

I forgot I also have"Bronco Bullfrog" which is a great snap shot of early Suedehead fashion, and worth watching for that alone. Suedehead (subculture) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

tobiaswragg 12th May 2012 11:12 AM

I'm looking forward to the Andy Milligan double bill of Nightbirds and The Body Beneath.

trouserpress 17th May 2012 08:22 AM

I have Black Panther and Nightbirds but haven't managed to look at either yet.

The Digital Fix have a second post on their Anatomy of a Flipside series, which explains the complicated process of putting Nightbirds together. It's fascinating stuff.