Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   Scream Factory/Shout Factory (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/9717-scream-factory-shout-factory.html)

Daemonia 19th June 2012 01:46 PM

Scream Factory/Shout Factory

As we all know, the Shout! Factory Blu-rays are pretty much all region-locked. Those films deserve a UK release, so how about Arrow picking these up for UK release on BD? Those Corman films are just crying out for a Region B release - not to mention the films on their upcoming slate. :nod:

So how about it, Arrow? The HD masters are already there, so that's a good place to start from. :)

Bringer Of Funerals 19th June 2012 01:58 PM

I agree, there are plenty of those films I would love to buy

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th June 2012 02:21 PM

Why don't Arrow release?

In the Shameless thread. :lol:

1 -1 with the errors today Daemonia.

Daemonia 19th June 2012 02:48 PM

Ah yes...um...oh dear. Anyway....

Why don't Shameless release....

:lol:

Gojirosan 19th June 2012 02:56 PM

I do find it odd that there has been no BD of Piranha in the UK.

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th June 2012 03:04 PM

One or two titles aside the Shout releases are largely niche films with very good releases in the States.

Piranha is a big film which i am surprised also hasn't got a UK BD release. Films like Star Crash and Battle beyond the Stars are largely unheard of to the outside world.

I truly think anyone that really wants them will pick these copies up as many have been on sale for a while now and would not make a UK release financially viable.

Most genre fans will have a region free BD player or will have when their current one goes bust.

Pete 19th June 2012 03:08 PM

STAR CRASH was released on dvd here 2 years ago by Pegasus, so I don't expect a UK BD anytime soon.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th June 2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 251576)
STAR CRASH was released on dvd here 2 years ago by Pegasus, so I don't expect a UK BD anytime soon.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

And Shouts release was way superior in the extras variety.

Daemonia 20th June 2012 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 251572)
One or two titles aside the Shout releases are largely niche films with very good releases in the States.

Which are region-locked.

And don't count on region-free BD players becoming the norm, Sony and the BDA are dead set against it. The workarounds on select players are exactly that, and are often rendered redundant with firmware updates. So no, I don't see multi-region Blu being a standard feature anytime soon.

Splatterdragon73 20th June 2012 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 251726)
I don't see multi-region Blu being a standard feature anytime soon.

That's yours truly buying both region A and B BR players sooner or later then as i'm determined to have multi-region playability one way or another. I simply will not be lumbered with U.K. disc functionality only.:)

Daemonia 20th June 2012 11:05 AM

That's my line of thinking too, Splatterdragon. I'll probably end up picking up a standard Region A standalone player.

In the meantime, how about Shameless (or even Arrow) taking a look at releasing the Shout! Factory BDs in the UK. I'd buy 'em!

Splatterdragon73 20th June 2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 251789)
That's my line of thinking too, Splatterdragon. I'll probably end up picking up a standard Region A standalone player.

In the meantime, how about Shameless (or even Arrow) taking a look at releasing the Shout! Factory BDs in the UK. I'd buy 'em!

I want the whole HD pie not just a small piece of it.;)

Forbidden World was issued cheaply on U.K. DVD a good while back but remains a typically terrible release compared to the far superior S!F edition. The same goes for Starcrash.

Another shining example of U.S.A. all the way, baby!:rockon:

Splatterdragon73 20th June 2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 251569)
I do find it odd that there has been no BD of Piranha in the UK.

I don't considering how shoddy MGM's R2 DVD was even compared to the original R1 release let alone S!F's magnificent upgrade.:)

fuzzymctiger 22nd June 2012 08:12 AM

Piranha (the original) is getting a blu ray release here in Australia soon along with Warlock, so you'll be able to get yourself a region B copy now. Not sure about print quality or extras though...

Edit: Extras are: Director's commentary, Outakes + Extra Film footage. RRP: $24.95 AUD

Daemonia 22nd June 2012 01:09 PM

Oh well, in the absence of a UK release I'll go for the Aus release then. There you go, a sale Shameless/Arrow could have had. ;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd June 2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 252293)
Oh well, in the absence of a UK release I'll go for the Aus release then. There you go, a sale Shameless/Arrow could have had. ;)

Who are Shameless?

Oh yes, i remember, they used to release films i think. ;) :)

it'smebilly 22nd June 2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 252197)
Piranha (the original) is getting a blu ray release here in Australia soon along with Warlock, so you'll be able to get yourself a region B copy now. Not sure about print quality or extras though...

Edit: Extras are: Director's commentary, Outakes + Extra Film footage. RRP: $24.95 AUD

I'd import more from Oz but it costs a fortune. This and the uncut I spit remake are two I'd like to get.

Vampix 24th June 2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 (Post 251827)
Forbidden World was issued cheaply on U.K. DVD a good while back but remains a typically terrible release compared to the far superior S!F edition.

Forbidden World got a great release from Shout Factory.I have the standard 2-DVD edition which has some interesting extras and an alternate version of the film.It's one of my favourite Alien rip-off flicks.Their release of Galaxy of Terror is a cracker too! :nod:

trouserpress 24th June 2012 06:04 PM

I have the Starcrash blu ray and it's fantastic. Two discs! No other obscure Italian Star Wars-ripoff has ever received so much attention. The picture quality far surpasses all other DVD releases, and it comes with two commentary tracks, both by the world's only Starcrash expert. I've listened to one already and it's brilliant.

I also have the Piranha and Battle Beyond the Stars Shout Factory blu rays. I'd like to get them all eventually.

I have a multi-region blu ray player. It's the only way to go.

Criterion7 12th October 2012 05:16 PM

SCREAM FACTORY

With two highly reviewed releases and a ton of stuff coming out including the just announced From Beyond I think its about time they got there own thread.

So far they have announced these films for release:

Halloween 2
Halloween 3
Fun House
Terror Train
They Live
Death Valley
The Island
Deadly Blessing
The Nest
Phantasm 2
The Evictors
The Town That Dreaded Sundown
The Video Dead
From Beyond

Each comes in blu with incredible artwork which is reversible so you get the original as well. Many are collectors editions that give you both blu and sd.

Halloween 2 was released with a second disc with the original tv cut on it.

Plus when you order from the site you get even more bonus goodies.

Can we sticky this thread :-)

Daemonia 13th October 2012 01:14 AM

Shouldn't you change your moniker from ArrowFan to Scream Factory Fan? :lol:

Criterion7 13th October 2012 06:49 AM

Last time I checked you could like more than one company. Right now Scream Factory is delivering where other companies are not. It's a fact. Other forums have threads about Shout/Scream factory and this one sadly only has two messages in a day...Thats not good for a cult site when this is a company that deals with cult films.

antmumford 13th October 2012 07:49 AM

Great idea for a thread mate, saves trawling through pages of Upcoming Blu threads.
I love the new artwork for these releases, who is the artist?

Criterion7 13th October 2012 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 281359)
Great idea for a thread mate, saves trawling through pages of Upcoming Blu threads.
I love the new artwork for these releases, who is the artist?

Thanks. Its Nathan Thomas Milner who does the art for a lot of the Shout Factory releases as well.

keirarts 13th October 2012 09:14 AM

They could make a ton more cash not region locking their discs, but its starting to get easier to get hold of region free blu players so I guess it wont matter soon anyway.

Haven't watched their Halloween discs yet but given the weather today I may watch them this afternoon. Terror train also appeals to me, I have the decent quality u.s dvd already (not the piss poor anchor bay uk one) but a HD upgrade with extras should be great, and I doubt there's no-one not looking forward to THEY LIVE!

Also death valley will be another buy for me, havn't seen that one since VHS days.

Paul@TheOverlook 13th October 2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 281367)
They could make a ton more cash not region locking their discs.

But that's not a decision made by the company, rather the companies it licences from. Companies like Fox and Universal wont want an indie selling its titles to territories outside whatever is stipulated in the licensing agreement.

Call me cynical but I'm sure studios like Fox will look at the sales figures of titles licenced out and use them to gauge whether or not to release them itself elsewhere too.

BAKA 13th October 2012 12:19 PM

It's possibly just me, but I find them hugely overrated by the genre community. They've actually put very little out. It seems to be more the licenses they pick up and the now well worn artwork choices that have given them some bewildering saviour of horror following. It's interesting how close they seem to have followed the Arrow mould and recreated that model. Kudo's to them, it's clearly worked, I've seen a silly amount of people already opting to import their From Beyond rather than Second Sight's. Considering neither have fully announced specs, nor do we know what transfers are like, they must be doing something right to inspire such a blind following.

The only release that I've seen (which was not mine, but a friends, I am still very much region locked) is Halloween 2, and the transfer is noticably worse than the Universal disc, due to artifacting.

It would seem I'm a little harder to woo than most. :p I'm looking forward to see how their Terror Train turns out though. It's one of my favourites of the Slasher sub-genre.

Stephen@Cult Labs 13th October 2012 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAKA (Post 281440)
It's possibly just me, but I find them hugely overrated by the genre community. They've actually put very little out. It seems to be more the licenses they pick up and the now well worn artwork choices that have given them some bewildering saviour of horror following. It's interesting how close they seem to have followed the Arrow mould and recreated that model. Kudo's to them, it's clearly worked, I've seen a silly amount of people already opting to import their From Beyond rather than Second Sight's. Considering neither have fully announced specs, nor do we know what transfers are like, they must be doing something right to inspire such a blind following.

The only release that I've seen (which was not mine, but a friends, I am still very much region locked) is Halloween 2, and the transfer is noticably worse than the Universal disc, due to artifacting.

It would seem I'm a little harder to woo than most. :p I'm looking forward to see how their Terror Train turns out though. It's one of my favourites of the Slasher sub-genre.

Strange, I had heard that the Universal Halloween II had the poorer transfer, and Scream Factory did some more work on it.

Paul@TheOverlook 13th October 2012 01:37 PM

The Universal disc is standard DTS 5.1 too, the SF release is DTS HD Master Audio 5.1.

Daemonia 13th October 2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowFan (Post 281355)
Last time I checked you could like more than one company. Right now Scream Factory is delivering where other companies are not. It's a fact. Other forums have threads about Shout/Scream factory and this one sadly only has two messages in a day...Thats not good for a cult site when this is a company that deals with cult films.

Hey, my post was meant in good humour, sorry if you took offence.

If Scream Factory do good business I'm sure these titles will surface elsewhere. I can do patient. :)

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th October 2012 01:42 PM

They are giving posters away with the first 500 purchases.

keirarts 13th October 2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload (Post 281369)
But that's not a decision made by the company, rather the companies it licences from. Companies like Fox and Universal wont want an indie selling its titles to territories outside whatever is stipulated in the licensing agreement.

Call me cynical but I'm sure studios like Fox will look at the sales figures of titles licenced out and use them to gauge whether or not to release them itself elsewhere too.

The Universal release of halloween 2 is region free on blu-ray!

BAKA 13th October 2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 281477)
Strange, I had heard that the Universal Halloween II had the poorer transfer, and Scream Factory did some more work on it.

Strange, as what I've read seems to point to exactly what I saw. It's in evidence at all of the usual sources, it's less obvious in motion, but still noticable, but perhaps that's because I was specifically looking to compare them.

Stephen@Cult Labs 13th October 2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAKA (Post 281502)
Strange, as what I've read seems to point to exactly what I saw. It's in evidence at all of the usual sources, it's less obvious in motion, but still noticable, but perhaps that's because I was specifically looking to compare them.

What's even stranger is that I don't see much (if any) difference in those screencaps.

Criterion7 13th October 2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAKA (Post 281502)

As someone who owns both versions of Halloween 2 on blu ray I have to call you out on that one there is a definitely a difference in quality and in Scream Factory's favour. I'm sure if you check out sites that compare the blu's side by side looking for quality in video and audio you will see that.

And in Halloween 2 audio is something that definitely matters

And yes I checked them out side by side.

BAKA 13th October 2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowFan (Post 281514)
As someone who owns both versions of Halloween 2 on blu ray I have to call you out on that one there is a definitely a difference in quality and in Scream Factory's favour. I'm sure if you check out sites that compare the blu's side by side looking for quality in video and audio you will see that.

Call me out on it all you want, I've posted a link to show blatantly I'm not the only one. The general consensus from the comparisons I've seen and read online all seem to align with that. It's not a science, there's a degree of opinion and perceptiveness.

Considering some of the hyperbole I've already seen you spout about Scream Factory releases which have yet to be fully specified (In reference to their From Beyond release you said: "Or get the new SF one that'll have every feature released before and a ton of new ones...Not a hard choice there SF is the clear winner." when in fact what they actually said was "There will be new extras along with the older ones which were on the prior 2007 DVD release.") I don't doubt for a second you do see things differently.

Criterion7 13th October 2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAKA (Post 281522)
Call me out on it all you want, I've posted a link to show blatantly I'm not the only one. The general consensus from the comparisons I've seen and read online all seem to align with that. It's not a science, there's a degree of opinion and perceptiveness.

Considering some of the hyperbole I've already seen you spout about Scream Factory releases which have yet to be fully specified (In reference to their From Beyond release you said: "Or get the new SF one that'll have every feature released before and a ton of new ones...Not a hard choice there SF is the clear winner." when in fact what they actually said was "There will be new extras along with the older ones which were on the prior 2007 DVD release.") I don't doubt for a second you do see things differently.

One forum is not a general consensus and even the link you posted was split on whether the thought which was better.

Every review I have read contradicts what you have said. Not one has proclaimed it a better transfer. In fact the only reason they say to own the universal is because of the documentary. Definitely not from the audio which we both know is weak on the universal and picture is definitely comparable though I will say that it is up for the perception of the viewer.

Don't think you can paint me with the fanboy brush thats insulting and a sad attempt to sway views.

I can have a reasonable debate that sticks with facts and overall thoughts.

This isn't politics, its a forum, and I dont like even subtle character dissing.

Am I fan of the company putting out the movies I have been wanting for ages yes.

But never mistake my enthusiasm for blind love of a company.

I am a big supporter of Arrow but I tell it exactly like it is when they mess up. Proven fact known by anyone who has read my posts.

keirarts 13th October 2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowFan (Post 281514)

And in Halloween 2 audio is something that definitely matters

Just finished watching the shout factory Halloween 2 and i've got to side with Arrowfan here, I stuck the universal disc in straight afterwards and watched a bit in the hospital (about 20 minutes) and Scream factory's release trumps it.

I will add the caveat here that it does not trump it by any great leaps and bounds, it looks somewhat sharper and sounds better but the Universal release is still bloody good quality, so anyone expecting a dramatic improvement may have been dissapointed.

As for those screencaps, well i've never trusted screencaps and that link didn't really change my mind.

***edit***

and let's play nice chaps, its all opinions at the end of the day no reason for the forums to end up like Amazon!

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th October 2012 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 281564)

and let's play nice chaps, its all opinions at the end of the day no reason for the forums to end up like Amazon!

I thought you would want that....

...then you could try and flog things for £200 on here as well. ;)

keirarts 13th October 2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 281570)
I thought you would want that....

...then you could try and flog things for £200 on here as well. ;)

If I thought I could get it!

Certainly at the minute, my kitchen ceiling collapsed last week and I need the cash! :lol: