Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   SCI-FI September! (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/13405-sci-fi-september.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th September 2018 10:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Invisible Invaders (1959)

Invisible aliens hiding on the moon land on Earth in a bid to take it over. Changing their molecular structure (I think that's what scientist John Agar called it) they take possession of buried corpses and become an army of the walking dead.

One of those so bad it's good films that flooded US cinemas in the science fiction boom of the fifties. Despite it's flaws - poor acting, dodgy FX - like me you may marvel at the thought this actually might have been an influence on George A Romero some nine years later because the walking corpses are strangely effective.

Demoncrat 27th September 2018 05:49 PM

Review! Ach, I love it.

The Beyond (2017, Hasraf Dulull)
A returning anomaly has NASA stumped. So they decide on a decidedly dodgy 'solution' :scared:.
Semi literate documentary style scifi flick.
Apart from the blatant Avatar lift ... cough.
Recommended if undemanding.

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th September 2018 09:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)

Spaceship lands in DC. Alien who looks like Michael Rennie arrives with his pet robot. Soldiers shoot Rennie. Rennie leaves hospital and lives in a guest house with a kid and his mother, goes with kid to look at the Washington memorial, gets shot by army again, lectures the world about nuclear power and living in peace then buggers off.

The end!

trebor8273 28th September 2018 10:08 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mra9CKR2iLg

The usual high school types ( nerd, loner , jock etc) are throwing together when the teachers at there school start behaving strangely ,they soon find out they have been taking over by alien parasites. 7/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqbYOs_sE20

An enjoyable low budget German movie of the lovecraft story of the same name. 7/10

Now watching dream catcher.

Demoncrat 28th September 2018 10:09 PM

:lol:
I hate reviews where they give away the ending me ... :laugh:

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th September 2018 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 589175)
:lol:
I hate reviews where they give away the ending me ... :laugh:

Seen The Day the Earth Stood Still twice now in the space of a week. Never seen it before, although i have seen the remake.

There just doesn't seem a lot to it other than moralising and it being a metaphor for the second coming of Christ.

Demoncrat 28th September 2018 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 589182)
Seen The Day the Earth Stood Still twice now in the space of a week. Never seen it before, although i have seen the remake.

There just doesn't seem a lot to it other than moralising and it being a metaphor for the second coming of Christ.

I'm kidding. I grew up with Day on TV. Yes, it's preachy, but liberals, Hollywood liberals at that :laugh: did write it. I've never seen the other one. I see no point in it. Repetition I like. Repeating myself I don't ;)

Stephen@Cult Labs 8th October 2018 09:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bleakshaun (Post 588923)
So I watched this today.

Still thoroughly enjoyed watching it. And hey they should do a sequel to it. Tim Thomerson is still alive so Charles Band get to it.

I should also note, recommended.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

They did do a sequel to it. Nowhere near as good as the first. It also serves as a sequel to Demonic Toys and Bad Channels.

Attachment 209850

bleakshaun 8th October 2018 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 590066)
They did do a sequel to it. Nowhere near as good as the first. It also serves as a sequel to Demonic Toys and Bad Channels.

Attachment 209850

I didn't see it really as a sequel, I am aware of it as I watched last Friday (see October movie marathon for the "review"). I was meaning a standalone sequel just about bardo

Edit: just read this again and kinda comes off as a c**ty post, so apologies if it does

Rob4 25th October 2018 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 589189)
I'm kidding. I grew up with Day on TV. Yes, it's preachy, but liberals, Hollywood liberals at that :laugh: did write it. I've never seen the other one. I see no point in it. Repetition I like. Repeating myself I don't ;)

Liberals? i beg to differ. the revelation at the end of the movie is that Gort and the off-planet army of robots are actually police with the power to destroy any sentient being that steps violently out of line. basically its saying we've set up a police state that can destroy us because we can't trust ourselves not to do it - this is very far away from a Liberal doctrine. the film also very much reflected the time it was made with the fledgling United Nations seen as a force that could step in and keep the peace between nations... although i don't think anyone thought the UN would take such extreme measures as those depicted in the film!