Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Television (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=567)
-   -   Open All Hours returns with David Jason (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/television/11447-open-all-hours-returns-david-jason.html)

Andra Jai 7th October 2013 10:45 PM

Open All Hours returns with David Jason

BBC News - Sir David Jason back for Open All Hours Christmas show

Sir David Jason back for Open All Hours Christmas show
David Jason - 1976
30 years on, Granville will now return to our screens as the shop's owner
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories

David Jason to tell life story
Blue plaque honours Ronnie Barker
Sir David Jason is reprising his role as Granville in BBC sitcom Open All Hours for a one-off Christmas Special.

Lynda Baron and Maggie Ollerenshaw will also return as nurse Gladys Emmanuel and Mavis respectively.

The original series, starring the late Ronnie Barker as Granville's uncle Arkwright, ran between 1973 and 1985.

"I am sure there is an audience out there who would like to see what Granville has been up to in the corner shop," said Sir David, 73.

"I'm really excited to be bringing back Open All Hours," he added.

"It will be a great family show for Christmas and a fitting tribute to the legacy of Arkwright."

The 30-minute special will be created by the programme's original writer, Roy Clarke.

He said: "This has been fun - a great opportunity to work with David Jason again and to suggest how things at that corner shop might look today."

BBC One controller Charlotte Moore said it made BBC One's Christmas schedule "suddenly feel complete".

In the original programme, which consisted of four series, Arkwright was the miserly Doncaster shop owner and his nephew Granville was his put-upon shop assistant.

In the new one-off episode, Granville now runs the shop, having inherited it from Arkwright.

trebor8273 8th October 2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam tyler (Post 370655)
BBC News - Sir David Jason back for Open All Hours Christmas show

Sir David Jason back for Open All Hours Christmas show
David Jason - 1976
30 years on, Granville will now return to our screens as the shop's owner
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories

David Jason to tell life story
Blue plaque honours Ronnie Barker
Sir David Jason is reprising his role as Granville in BBC sitcom Open All Hours for a one-off Christmas Special.

Lynda Baron and Maggie Ollerenshaw will also return as nurse Gladys Emmanuel and Mavis respectively.

The original series, starring the late Ronnie Barker as Granville's uncle Arkwright, ran between 1973 and 1985.

"I am sure there is an audience out there who would like to see what Granville has been up to in the corner shop," said Sir David, 73.

"I'm really excited to be bringing back Open All Hours," he added.

"It will be a great family show for Christmas and a fitting tribute to the legacy of Arkwright."

The 30-minute special will be created by the programme's original writer, Roy Clarke.

He said: "This has been fun - a great opportunity to work with David Jason again and to suggest how things at that corner shop might look today."

BBC One controller Charlotte Moore said it made BBC One's Christmas schedule "suddenly feel complete".

In the original programme, which consisted of four series, Arkwright was the miserly Doncaster shop owner and his nephew Granville was his put-upon shop assistant.

In the new one-off episode, Granville now runs the shop, having inherited it from Arkwright.

Will watch but can't see how it will work without Arkwright and they better still have the till!

Hawkmonger 8th October 2013 04:15 PM

Keeping an open mind about this. But have my doubts, it is one of the greatest comedies of all time.

Nordicdusk 8th October 2013 04:25 PM

One of my all time favourite comedies so i would love if this was great but we can only wait and see i will reserve judgement until i watch it.

Bringer Of Funerals 8th October 2013 05:32 PM

I'm not holding out much hope

Dave Boy 9th October 2013 06:38 PM

Mmmm. Not sure about this. Remember when they brought back 'To The Manor Born' for a one off episode. Terrible !:doh:

SharonLynette 9th October 2013 07:02 PM

Usually I'm not sure but I'm quite optimistic about this as it's such a gap between the end of the original series, it might just tie it up nicely without trying to do too much.

I've been watching more and more repeats of the original series recently although I realise I need to buy the dvd as I keep getting the same episodes.

wentworthtv 17th October 2013 02:03 AM

Generally speaking I don't like these kind of Christmas Special revivals. I do like a revival that is a whole series though - even if it turns out not to be very good. A special has little risk behind it or substance to it. However, I'm a fan of David Jason so I'm willing to give anything a go - at least for the first two minutes.

Susan Foreman 28th October 2013 07:17 AM

Yahoo News UK & Ireland - Latest World News & UK News Headlines - Robbie Williams for Open All Hours?

Hawkmonger 28th October 2013 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 374257)

Don't some "journalists" have anything better to do?:crazy:

SharonLynette 28th October 2013 07:41 AM

Quote:

Robbie Williams, I don't know where to start but there is some interesting stuff about him in Lost at Sea by Jon Ronson, that was first in The Guardian, I'm sure most people remember this but I never read much about it.

I'm loving aliens instead

I would be worried but it's Yahoo news, news is really a misleading term for what they report.

trebor8273 28th October 2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

god nooooooooooo! Rather be forced to eat my own eyes, wasn't there rumours about hm wanting to be the next doctor as well?

Hawkmonger 28th October 2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 374281)
god nooooooooooo! Rather be forced to eat my own eyes, wasn't there rumours about hm wanting to be the next doctor as well?

Thats exactly the reason why I called BS.

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th October 2013 02:17 PM

Thats a total non-story. Typical for Yahoo entertainment news.

As for Williams, he's an entertainer and often his interviews are fun, he does have a cheeky glint in his eye which could suit such a programme.

Rik 28th October 2013 04:12 PM

Robbie Williams as the new Doctor might have made the program entertaining........:tongue1:

Angry mob in 1, 2, 3.........:lol:

http://www.propertiesofmatter.si.edu...fishingrod.jpg

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th October 2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 374331)
Robbie Williams as the new Doctor might have made the program entertaining........:tongue1:

Angry mob in 1, 2, 3.........:lol:

Not from me. You never know until you see a few episodes.

Peter Davison went from being a clumsy vet to one of the finest Doctors after all.

Rik 28th October 2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 374333)
Not from me. You never know until you see a few episodes.

Peter Davison went from being a clumsy vet to one of the finest Doctors after all.

I'm joking, just in one them daft moods today. Robbie Williams is a singer and should stick to that, as funny as he is in interviews etc, he'd probably ruin what may already be a load of old shite (I'm referring to Open All Hours here, not Doctor Who BTW)

Susan Foreman 28th October 2013 04:37 PM

Little Britain meet Robbie Williams - Classic Comic Relief - YouTube

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th October 2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 374336)
I'm joking, just in one them daft moods today. Robbie Williams is a singer and should stick to that, as funny as he is in interviews etc, he'd probably ruin what may already be a load of old shite (I'm referring to Open All Hours here, not Doctor Who BTW)

I must admit i'm surprised at the love on here for Open All Hours.

It never struck me as being hilarious. Sort of a light comedy for old folks.

I'll shut up now. :tape:

Rik 28th October 2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 374340)
I must admit i'm surprised at the love on here for Open All Hours.

It never struck me as being hilarious. Sort of a light comedy for old folks.

I'll shut up now. :tape:

It was funny because of Artwright's stutter, that's pretty much it, which is why no Ronnie Barker means it won't be as funny, I'm willing to give it a shot though

Susan Foreman 28th October 2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 374353)
It was funny because of Artwright's stutter, that's pretty much it, which is why no Ronnie Barker means it won't be as funny, I'm willing to give it a shot though

See people - it's fine to laugh at a person's disability!!!!

* Note - NOT a comment on Rik's post

Yes - I speak with a lisp, and I have trouble pronouncing the letter 'R'. I'm glad that people have picked up on it over my life. Especially when I was at school. How-I-laughed!!!!

Rik 28th October 2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 374354)
See people - it's fine to laugh at a person's disability!!!!

Hey, I only have one bollock as a result of having cancer, and I'm the first person to take the piss outta myself and have done since having it removed in 2005! I even named the remaining one The Pendulum :lol:

Hawkmonger 28th October 2013 05:54 PM

I'm a ginger-minger and have autism, and i'm always first in line to poke fun at myself. Comedy if the last true medium of free speech, and the truly open people will take light humour as it is.

I consider OAH to be the lesser of the two Barker legends, Porridge being undoubtably the greatest comedy of all time. But for me, OAH is hilarious in it's depiction of British life. In a way the shop stood for what Britain was like and still is. Dilapidated, old and stubborn, while the rest of the world (or the rest of the street) advance and change, both technically and morally.

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th October 2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 374362)
But for me, OAH is hilarious in it's depiction of British life. In a way the shop stood for what Britain was like and still is. Dilapidated, old and stubborn, while the rest of the world (or the rest of the street) advance and change, both technically and morally.

What are you on about Hawk. You weren't even born when it aired. Life was actually like this in the late seventies / early eighties northern England. Perhaps not in the cities, but certainly in the towns and villages.

This may be a controversial viewpoint, but the north west, possibly the whole north of England was in a steep decline, a state of decay, until the Manchester bombings in 1996 meant the whole city centre had to be rebuilt and the rest of the north followed on.

Anyway, apologies, this has nothing to do with the rebirth of Open All Hours. :focus:

Rik 28th October 2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 374365)

This may be a controversial viewpoint, but the north west, possibly the whole north of England was in a steep decline, a state of decay, until the Manchester bombings in 1996 meant the whole city centre had to be rebuilt and the rest of the north followed on.

Completely agree with this point :nod:

SharonLynette 28th October 2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

What are you on about Hawk. You weren't even born when it aired. Life was actually like this in the late seventies / early eighties northern England. Perhaps not in the cities, but certainly in the towns and villages.

Anyway, apologies, this has nothing to do with the rebirth of Open All Hours. :focus:

Personally I preferred it before it was all modernised, I really find Manchester a bit empty now.

I think Open All Hours has aged fairly well, I liked it when I was little but right now, especially in the colder months I can't get enough of it.

Hawkmonger 28th October 2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Think about it. All the young, hip people in the street where mentioned (and occasionally seen) living more liberal lifestyles throughout the series. Buying goods from corporate organisations, practicing increasingly odd sexual acts (often considered the norm today) and generally showing typical early stage X-generations symptoms such as a more casual disregard for older generations and more rebellious attitudes. All the while this little shop keeper and his elderly customers are still stuck in the 50's, in a dinky little shop in a dinky little street. It kind of showed how Barker viewed the changing world around him and is often overlooked by people, but I think it's quite clever.

gag 23rd December 2013 09:18 PM

Anyone any idea when this is getting shown on tv ?

Make Them Die Slowly 23rd December 2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 374355)
Hey, I only have one bollock as a result of having cancer, and I'm the first person to take the piss outta myself and have done since having it removed in 2005! I even named the remaining one The Pendulum :lol:

Like the Poe story...The Dick and the Pendulum!

Hawkmonger 23rd December 2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 384328)
Like the Poe story...The Dick and the Pendulum!

Post of the ****ing year! :pound:

Andra Jai 23rd December 2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 384325)
Anyone any idea when this is getting shown on tv ?

Boxing Day (Thursday, December 26) at 7.45pm on BBC One.

more here

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/...k-picture.html

gag 23rd December 2013 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam tyler (Post 384341)
Boxing Day (Thursday, December 26) at 7.45pm on BBC One.

more here

David Jason stars in 'Still Open All Hours' - first-look picture - TV News - Digital Spy

Cheers

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th December 2013 07:20 PM

Well that was just as unfunny as it always was.

Stephen@Cult Labs 26th December 2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 384644)
Well that was just as unfunny as it always was.

I disagree. And your post begs the question, why watch this if you always thought Open All Hours was unfunny?

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th December 2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 384645)
I disagree. And your post begs the question, why watch this if you always thought Open All Hours was unfunny?

Yeah it was harshly, even stupidly posted. I have it all on dvd. :lol:

I've never found it laugh out loud funny and this was just the same.

Didn't you think David Jason was trying to play Arkwright rather than Granville.

Hawkmonger 26th December 2013 07:54 PM

That was the point. Grandville came full circle and became the old git he always wanted not to be.

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th December 2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 384648)
That was the point. Grandville came full circle and became the old git he always wanted not to be.

It seemed more of an impersonation to me.

As it finished i just felt what was the point of it all really?

Had it been a series or even an hour episode it would have been much better. :nod:

Nice to see the till again. :lol:

Andra Jai 26th December 2013 08:34 PM

It was okay as a kind of tribute episode but I don't think it ever gets past the fact that Ronnie Barker isn't there.

I found myself wanting to like it far more than I actually did

gag 26th December 2013 08:39 PM

Apparently if the reviews and ratings are good then he think about doing a full series.
but I did find a one of half hr episode bit pontless could have been 45 /hr long

gag 26th December 2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 384647)
Yeah it was harshly, even stupidly posted. I have it all on dvd. :lol:

I've never found it laugh out loud funny and this was just the same.

Didn't you think David Jason was trying to play Arkwright rather than Granville.

To me it ws never meant to be hilarious or belly laughs etc more just light hearted humour .