Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Television (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=567)
-   -   Taking baby steps exploring the new millenium's anime (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/television/11680-taking-baby-steps-exploring-new-milleniums-anime.html)

bdc 5th January 2014 11:44 AM

Taking baby steps exploring the new millenium's anime

http://oi44.tinypic.com/2mhbktz.jpg

As I mentioned here I recently ran into a former co-worker who's a big manga/anime fan.

I used to watch a lot of anime in the 80's but somehow it all sort of stopped somewhere in the 90's...
Recently I re-discovered my old passion for anime I guess and also started watching a "new" (post-2000) anime series titled Highschool of the Dead which left me wanting to watch more series.

Only problem was I knew nothing about the newer series,so after some experimenting I bumped into this anime guy I knew from work and he has been introducing me to the newer anime series. :)

He did this by letting me watch the first episode of series I was interested in (mainly naughty or more fan service oriented anime series for but also some other ones he suggested) which allowed me to get a feel of the series.

This has helped me tremendously as I was just watching series openings before and they often are misleading.

Yesterday I went back over to his place and we watched a lot of first episodes and even 1 second episode.

We also had a little New Year's celebration which only upped the fun (yes alcohol was involved :party: ).

This time we watched these first episodes:

Kämpfer
Agent Aika
Seikon No Qwaser
Infinite Stratos
Ikki Tousen
Heaven's Lost Property

And episode 2 of Girls und Panzer!

I enjoyed them all though Aika and Ikki Tousen looked decidedly old school to me (Aika is indeed a 90's anime),which is not a bad thing btw.

Kämpfer is a weird one with a guy transforming into a girl (but still looking somewhat like a guy) when he goes into battle mode,which can lead to all kinds of fun things I guess. :lol:

My favourites out of the bunch would be:

Sora no Otoshimono (Heaven's Lost Property) - Opening HD - YouTube

Girls und Panzer Opening - YouTube

Infinite Stratos and Seikon No Qwaser look very promising as well though...

bdc 7th January 2014 07:18 PM

Just got a message from my mate and will be exploring more newer anime with him this weekend. ;)

bdc 12th January 2014 10:37 AM

So...this time we watched first episodes of these shows.
My mate included some different genres this time. :)

Chobits
Needless
Kanojo x Kanojo x Kanojo (Hentai! surprise)
The World God Only Knows
Ladies Vs Butlers
Full Metal Panic!
Aria The Scarlet Diva
Shuffle

Well,Chobits was a really fun mix of scifi and naughtiness,Needless almost gave me a headache (my mate had warned me it could be described as Dragonball Z,not really a fan of that one I'm afraid,meets Mad Max)...as it was so "intense" but I sort of liked it.

Kanojo came a bit as a surprise as I wasn't expecting a Hentai but my mate had a good laugh I guess. :lol: It is a very well made Hentai though.

The World God Only Knows was ok I guess,Ladies Vs Butlers was naughty fun,Full Metal Panic! was a request as I already watched Fumoffu some time ago,really liked it.

Aria and Shuffle were both enjoyable as well.

My favourites out of this bunch:

Chobits - Opening (HD) - YouTube

Full Metal Panic! Opening 1 [1080p HD]

keirarts 13th January 2014 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 386988)
So...this time we watched first episodes of these shows.
My mate included some different genres this time. :)

Chobits
Needless
Kanojo x Kanojo x Kanojo (Hentai! surprise)
The World God Only Knows
Ladies Vs Butlers
Full Metal Panic!
Aria The Scarlet Diva
Shuffle

Well,Chobits was a really fun mix of scifi and naughtiness,Needless almost gave me a headache (my mate had warned me it could be described as Dragonball Z,not really a fan of that one I'm afraid,meets Mad Max)...as it was so "intense" but I sort of liked it.

Kanojo came a bit as a surprise as I wasn't expecting a Hentai but my mate had a good laugh I guess. :lol: It is a very well made Hentai though.

The World God Only Knows was ok I guess,Ladies Vs Butlers was naughty fun,Full Metal Panic! was a request as I already watched Fumoffu some time ago,really liked it.

Aria and Shuffle were both enjoyable as well.

My favourites out of this bunch:

Chobits - Opening (HD) - YouTube

Full Metal Panic! Opening 1 [1080p HD]

The New Berserk! and Evangalion films are worth a try. (the origional Berserk series is a classic and also worth picking up)

Steins gate is a personal fave of mine at the minute.

bdc 13th January 2014 08:30 AM

I'll ask him about those when I visit him again. ;)

keirarts 13th January 2014 08:53 AM

Also nice to see some love for heaven's lost property. There's a huge amount of love put into that show, its one of those where you can tell the creators had a blast making it. Even the end credits are fantastic.

bdc 13th January 2014 09:00 AM

Would be nice if that one got a UK release,there's a US and Aussie release.

bdc 13th January 2014 11:58 AM

Best anime reviewers?

I've been watching some reviewers on youtube lately...what are the best reviewers (youtube or otherwise) in your opinion? ;)

bdc 13th January 2014 07:20 PM

Here's 2 I've been watching/exploring.

GrArkada has fun reviews but I don't always agree with his opinions. ;)

GRArkada - YouTube

TuxedoRay is the stereotypical ecchi fan I guess :lol: but he has some interesting videos up if you're into ecchi manga/anime.

TuxedoRay - YouTube (NSFW)

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th January 2014 03:46 PM

Threads merged.

bdc 20th January 2014 12:42 PM

Paid another visit to my friend yesterday,it was very interesting,more about this later. ;)

trebor8273 21st January 2014 02:58 PM

Just noticed a series called attack on Titan on Netflix is it any good ? Seems like my cup of tea.

keirarts 21st January 2014 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 388454)
Just noticed a series called attack on Titan on Netflix is it any good ? Seems like my cup of tea.

One of the best shows in recent years.

bdc 23rd January 2014 11:21 AM

Probably the most talked about show of 2014 according to my friend but haven't watched it yet.
Btw intended to write an update about my last visit but got the flu instead and have been in bed for a couple of days so it will have to wait till I recover. ;)

Hawkmonger 23rd January 2014 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 388454)

I can only echo what has been said thousands of times by now. AoT is IMMENSE!!!!!!!
One of the best series of the last decade for sure.

bdc 29th January 2014 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 388703)
Btw intended to write an update about my last visit but got the flu instead and have been in bed for a couple of days so it will have to wait till I recover. ;)

Finally feeling better so here's what we watched 2 weeks ago,I couldn't go over last week as I was to ill. ;)

Again more varied this time.

First episodes of:

Genshiken
Maken-Ki
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
Fooly Cooly
Elfen Lied
Mayo Chiki!

Genshiken deals with a school club who "study" things like manga/anime/games/cosplay etc,and their new members.

Maken-Ki reminded me a bit of Ikki Tousen,looks like fun and Code Geass was certainly something different with some decent mecha action thrown in,looks like an interesting series as well.

Fooly Cooly,somewhat different from the other ones as this seems like more of a crazy drama of sorts.

Elfen Lied,yep it's bloody and mysterious (and it reminded me a bit of Chobits when the main character loses her memory but I suspect this is nothing like that series?)

Mayo Chiki!,somewhat familiar ecchi territory here with some gender bending thrown in.

My favourite (judging from the first episode) would be:

Elfen Lied opening HD [720p] - YouTube

keirarts 29th January 2014 05:06 PM

Elfen lied generated some heated debate on the forums a while back but i rate it a lot.

Anyone with a hankerin for anime horror needs to check out shiki. Think salems lot in japan and your on the right track.

bdc 29th January 2014 06:50 PM

Will ask my friend about Shiki next time. ;)

keirarts 29th January 2014 09:59 PM

Shiki - 1 - First Blood - YouTube

bdc 30th January 2014 09:21 AM

Thanks for the link,seems the vid is not available (to me?) though. ;)

keirarts 30th January 2014 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 389754)
Thanks for the link,seems the vid is not available (to me?) though. ;)

Strange. Its an official and authorised vid. If you try going on to youtube it should work

bdc 31st January 2014 08:34 AM

Nope,probably due to my location?

keirarts 1st February 2014 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 389892)
Nope,probably due to my location?

Funimation can try and block stuff they upload in some territories. I tried the link myself and its not working for me now either!

bdc 17th April 2014 05:56 PM

Watched the first episode of Kill La Kill, pretty good stuff. :)

Curious how this will evolve.

trebor8273 25th April 2014 08:33 PM

What's fate/ zero like has anyone seen it?

Edit

Watched the first two episodes of star blazers years since I've seen this, was the first anime I'd seen, mind at the the time I didn't know what anime was.

Anyone recommend any good horror anime

bdc 17th May 2014 08:25 PM

Currently watching (thanks to my mate):

Love hina opening theme - YouTube

And completing viewing of

Chobits Opening FULL - YouTube

bdc 17th May 2014 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 401331)
Anyone recommend any good horror anime

You've probably seen stuff like Wicked City?

Or are you looking for a series?

trebor8273 17th May 2014 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 403867)
You've probably seen stuff like Wicked City?

Or are you looking for a series?

Either.

Chobits is good, really enjoyed it. I love the opening theme

bdc 17th May 2014 09:19 PM

Ok...I'll have a think...but do you have Wicked City?

bdc 17th May 2014 09:26 PM

Maybe best to open a different thread? ;)

keirarts 17th May 2014 10:20 PM

For a good horror Anime seek out either ANOTHER or SHIKI. (or possible High school of the dead but i'm assuming everyone has seen that!)

Theres tons out there but those are the newer series that spring to mind.

trebor8273 17th May 2014 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 403879)
For a good horror Anime seek out either ANOTHER or SHIKI. (or possible High school of the dead but i'm assuming everyone has seen that!)

Theres tons out there but those are the newer series that spring to mind.

Got another and high school of the dead, will look into shiki

keirarts 17th May 2014 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 403880)
Got another and high school of the dead, will look into shiki

Think 'the japanese salems lot' and you're on the right track.

Elfen lied is pretty good but incredibly messed up as well. The anime movie GYO is a definite recommendation as well. Its based on the manga of Junji ito. Probably Japans greatest horror author and creator of Tomie.

keirarts 17th May 2014 10:46 PM

I also feel f****G stupid for almost forgetting to mention HELLSING.

Hellsing ultimate is f*****g incredible.

trebor8273 18th May 2014 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 403883)
I also feel f****G stupid for almost forgetting to mention HELLSING.

Hellsing ultimate is f*****g incredible.

Got it . But thanks

bdc 18th May 2014 06:29 PM

Do you have the older ones like Wicked City?

trebor8273 18th May 2014 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 403956)
Do you have the older ones like Wicked City?

No I haven't will have to look in to getting it

bdc 18th May 2014 07:01 PM

I'm starting a new thread and everything about the older series/films can go in there. ;)

bdc 30th September 2014 07:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Recently finished watching Genshiken,Genshiken 2 and Genshiken Next Generation with my "anime friend". ;)
This has been spread over months of course. :)

Currently exploring the classic Ranma 1/2 with him which is of course an older (but fun) anime.

Gave up for the moment on Love Hina after the follow up episodes to the first (excellent) episode turned out to be meh (imho).
Still have to return to Chobits to complete watching the series,recently rewatched episode one and that got me revved up and ready to go!

bdc 25th May 2015 11:12 AM

In the last few months I've returned to the regular sessions with my dear "anime friend".
I've been watching more episodes of the shows now instead of just watching a first episode like I used to...much better way to get the feel of a series imho.

I've also re-evaluated Love Hina btw,like it now. :)

Last (mini) series I finished was Broken Blade aka Break Blade (2014) : enjoyed this one.

Over the last few months I somehow gained a power which allows me to understand and get into the whole anime thing somewhat better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEz4EEg3H4I