Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Television (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=567)
-   -   Memory Lane: The TV Nostalgia Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/television/1343-memory-lane-tv-nostalgia-thread.html)

Gold6082 23rd May 2009 05:14 AM

Memory Lane: The TV Nostalgia Thread

I was Born In 82, So I grew up with fond memorys, clear as if they were yesterday. What did you watch and enjoy as a child before school/college/after & in the holidays??.

For me I used to love Aussie gems

Pugwall & The Miracolous Mellops both on channel 4 over 4 years of summer hols 10am ish.I used to play up if I missed these.

When I was around 8 I loved

Button Moon, Raggy Dolls, and the afternoon aussie soaps , Sons and Daughters & Young Dr's Straight after school.

I have the latter on Dvd now.

Motormouth,going live, were 2 of the saturday morning kids shows which are now a thing of the past.

the good Ol Days where life was simple and Tv sad but solid Gold SAD :D

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 24th May 2009 10:03 AM

Red Hand Gang?
The Littlest Hobo?
Salem's Lot?

:D

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 24th May 2009 10:05 AM

Mr Ben?
BOD?
Hong Kong Phooey?

:cool:

Gold6082 24th May 2009 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 29127)
Red Hand Gang?
The Littlest Hobo?
Salem's Lot?

:D

I remember watching littlest Hobo on ITV mornings around 1992-1994 ish. Loved it ............theres a voice keeps on calling me down the road blah blah. :rofl:

Gold6082 24th May 2009 02:58 PM

I remember many of them being re run in my time. I enjoyed BBC 2 rerunning the first 4 years worth of Grange Hill sunday mornings in the early 90's. I enjoyed Mr Bronson Immensely Poor KENDALLLLLLL had a rough ride with him.

Watched Airwolf on Bravo in the late 90's also.

Knightmare was on ITV before Home & Away late 80's if i recall?, A game show with that viking type guy??? my memory is just about working.

Used to Love He-Man in the mid 80's when I was 5 or so.

I remember vaguely afternoon quizes at that time, were the original going for gold,Turnabout and give us a clue.

Also does anyone remember creepy crawlie's?? channel 4 1990 time Lambeth the beetle etc??.

vincenzo 24th May 2009 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gold6082 (Post 29153)
I remember many of them being re run in my time. I enjoyed BBC 2 rerunning the first 4 years worth of Grange Hill sunday mornings in the early 90's.

I watched it when it was originally shown and had the hots for Cathy Hargreaves. :o

gax 24th May 2009 06:56 PM

A team
Street Hawk
The whiz kids (not sure on title,geeky kids with a C64)
Number 73
Jamie and his magic torch
The gophers (BRILLIANT)
Moonlighting
Soap

WORST TV PROGRAM EVER
Why Dont You?

Wilson Bros 27th May 2009 07:29 PM

Funny how some of the cast of Number 73 turned out...

One's a lesbian.
One's a multi-awarding-winning film director.
And one presented Art Attack for nearly two decades.

Kev W

mark meakin 2nd June 2009 08:01 AM

I grew up as a kid (then teenager) with:-
Planet Of The Apes
The Incredible Hulk
Streethawk
Airwolf & the vastly inferior Blue Thunder spin-off (Though I own both on dvd)
Logan's Run
Beyond Westworld
The Time Tunnel
The Invaders
UFO
Thunderbirds
Sky (Can barely remember this but the blue-eyed kid has haunted me since childhood.Now out I believe from NETWORK.)
The Moon Stallion
Children Of The Stones
Raven
The Feathered Serpent (Diane Keen-Drool !)
DR WHO-The Baker years with some of my favourite adventures including IMAGE OF THE FENDAHL.
Man From Atlantis
Six Million Dollar Man (I especially remember the 'Bigfoot' episodes)
Night Gallery
Kolchak-The Nightstalker which I saw on its premiere on Central TV in 1983.This was a good while before it was rescreened on the BBC 2 horror season with Doctor Terror .
There were also the great horror double bills on BBC 2 & the extensive Universal horror season on channel 4 at a time when the station also showed classy fare like The Twilight Zone & Boris Karloff's THRILLER.

Pete 2nd June 2009 11:18 AM

And one presented Art Attack for nearly two decades.

Kev W[/QUOTE]

His mum and dad used to live in my street:D

Anyone remeber a cartoon called the Family Ness?

vincenzo 2nd June 2009 11:24 AM

I used to love Follyfoot. Especially the theme song ("Down in the meadow where the wind blows free, in the middle of a field stands the lightning tree").

Many fond Saturday morning memories. Tiswas (Sally James) :p, The Flashing Blade, Robinson Crusoe, The Double Deckers etc.

Pete 2nd June 2009 11:27 AM

All that was before my time.

you old git!:D

vincenzo 2nd June 2009 11:33 AM

You young whippersnappers missed the best years. :p :D

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 2nd June 2009 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loops (Post 29765)
Anyone remeber a cartoon called the Family Ness?

Yes! Wasn't it a cartoon about a family of Loch Ness monsters? I can't really remember much about it apart from that and a vague idea of the theme song...

Shows I do remember (more clearly), and watched throughout my childhood (which in some people's eyes I haven't left yet :p) were:

- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (re-named Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles - even the BBFC had their steely grip around action cartoons! :rofl:)
- Sharkey & George
- Poddington Peas
- Attack of the Killer Tomatoes
- The Racoons
- The Smurfs
- Doctor Who
- Airwolf
- The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
- Nightmare
- Crystal Maze
- Thundercats
- He-Man
- Dangermouse
- Inspector Gadget
- Pinky & The Brain
- Animaniacs
- Bodger & Badger
- Ren & Stimpy

... and probably a hell of a lot more too!

Pete 2nd June 2009 11:45 AM

[QUOTE=bizarre_eye;29779]Yes! Wasn't it a cartoon about a family of Loch Ness monsters? I can't really remember much about it apart from that and a vague idea of the theme song...

Yes, and the kids had thistle whistles:D

- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (re-named Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles - even the BBFC had their steely grip around action cartoons! :rofl:)
- - Poddington Peas
- Attack of the Killer Tomatoes
- The Racoons
- The Smurfs
- Airwolf
- The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
- Nightmare
- Crystal Maze
- Thundercats
- He-Man
- Dangermouse
- Inspector Gadget
- Pinky & The Brain
- Animaniacs
- Bodger & Badger
- Ren & Stimpy

I remeber all those escpecialy poddington peas. the song:

'down at the bottom of garden, among the birds and the bees there are tiny little people called the poddington peas'

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 2nd June 2009 11:51 AM

Yes I remember that song! :o Also all the peas had names like sweet pea, black-eyed pea (who was a pirate?) etc. Ah! They don't make them like they used too! :D

Make Them Die Slowly 3rd June 2009 03:43 PM

These spring to mind when thinking about kids tv.

Rentaghost
Pipkins
HR Pufnstuf
Noggin the Nog
Mary Mungo and Midge

I also use to be allowed to stay up late to watch the BBC2 horror double bills in the 70s.

Can anyone remember if BBC2 used to show sci-fi films in the early evening during the 70s.

Finally anyone remember when silent horror films used to be shown on telly.

mark meakin 3rd June 2009 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 29889)
These spring to mind when thinking about kids tv.

Rentaghost
Pipkins
HR Pufnstuf
Noggin the Nog
Mary Mungo and Midge

I also use to be allowed to stay up late to watch the BBC2 horror double bills in the 70s.

Can anyone remember if BBC2 used to show sci-fi films in the early evening during the 70s.

Finally anyone remember when silent horror films used to be shown on telly.

BBC 2 showed a very lengthy science fiction film season around 1983 about six in the evening after The Waltons.I remember these being on it for certain:-
Invaders From Mars (1953)
Robinson Crusoe On Mars
This Island Earth (A particular favourite of mine)
It Came from Outer Space (Same here)
Creature From The Black Lagoon
Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1956)
When Worlds Collide
War Of The Worlds
Colosuss-The Forbin Project
Forbidden Planet
Pure heaven as I watched them tucking into a bag of aniseed balls nicked from my stepdad's secret sweet stash:D.
Channel 4 showed the classic silent versions of The Cabinet Of Doctor Caligari & Nosferatu.

Gold6082 3rd June 2009 06:19 PM

Voyage to the bottom of the sea Channel 4 sunday mornings early 90's was another gem.

WaveCrest 21st June 2009 11:04 PM

There was a UK comedy called Spatz, shown during CITV on Friday afternoons. It was always the last programme on Fridays around 4.45 pm (Knightmare was shown around the same time as well). It was set in a fast food restaurant. I can remember a couple of the characters who were members of the staff who worked behind the counter - one was a young Scottish woman and the other was a young actor who had previously appeared later on in the Alf Garnett series In Sickness and In Health.

Another series which I haven't seen in a long time is Dark Towers. The only time I saw this was when I was at primary school in the early 80's. It was a serial which was shown during a BBC schools programme called Look and Read. What I remember the most about it was the White Knight, who scared me, the vans and the duffle coats (very 80's looking). Fast forward to the present and I didn't realise until I looked at the cast list on the IMDb, that Christopher Biggins appeared in it.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 4th July 2009 07:09 PM

Would love to spend a couple of days watching the entire MINDER series,although the complete boxset is over a ton.....any chance of a staff discount Almar?:D

phelings 7th June 2010 08:59 PM

Many of the shows mentioned on this thread have finally appeared on dvd after many years .
Network release the ITV library so Follyfoot is out from them and they also have website exclusives for a lot of shows where the colour tapes are lost/wiped and only B&W film recordings remain .
Series like Escape Into Night, The Jensen Code etc.
They have even started releasing real rarities where colour tapes were damaged and one or two episodes only exist via home recordings.#
Sky and King of the Castle are amongst those.

With The Georgian House only 3 of the 7 episodes exist at all and they are bringing that out too although I can't really accept scripts instead of episodes.

The Irwin Allen shows like Time Tunnel & Land of the Giants and Voyage/Bottom/Sea are out albeit on R1 only.

Warner in the US have released some cracking cartoon sets featuring things like Marine Boy,Hair Bear Bunch, Amazing Chan & The Chan Clan,Inch High Private Eye, Funky Phanton ,Speed Buggy and lots more.
They even include the first episode of Banana Splits in its original version unlike the UK boxset which is not the show in its original format.

The Double Deckers is obtainable on dvd but only via bootleg copies of VHS recordings made on ITV 20 years ago.

A few months back Network released 2 Best of sets covering ITV kids shows of the 70's.
One covered the 12 noon type shows with Pipkins ,Tingha & Tucker etc and the other set covers the 4pm onwards shows like Tightrope,Magpie,Raven,Timeslip,Black Beauty, Ace of Wands etc.

Network are also the ones who gave us the rescued English language prints of Robinson Crusoe found in a French film vault more than a decade after its last BBC screening.

So tons of golden oldies out there if you are interested

Gojirosan 7th June 2010 09:38 PM

Watched The Nightmare Man from 1981 the other day: Dr Who style SF/horror for grown-ups. Pretty dashed decent! The DVD is really cheap at Amazon. My Mum wouldn't let me watch it at the time! :lol:

Got Sapphire And Steel lined up for the rest of the week. I remember loving it as a kid, but not the details. Looking forward to seeing it again!

pedromonkey 10th June 2010 09:46 PM

i used to own Nightmare Man, but got shot of it as i didn't think it was as good as Tripods, Triffids or Survivors. It's odd to see Celia Imre at such a young age though...

The BBC made some quality sci-fi back in the late 70s early 80s.

phelings 10th June 2010 09:58 PM

Things like The Nightmare Man and The Omega Factor built up a reputation because they were never repeated , were not shown by UK Gold and never released on video .

When they finally appeared more than 20 years later they had a difficult job of living up to their reputation.

I still have my recordings of The Changes from UK Gold and thats definitely one classic series well overdue a commercial release.

the blob 16th July 2010 10:50 PM

Noone else remembers The Tomorrow People? I always wanted one of those belt things.

phelings 16th July 2010 10:53 PM

I remember it.
I loved it when it was on .
I got a friend to record it for me when it was on Australian tv in the 90's.

It's all out on dvd but unlike Dr Who time has not been kind to the series and much of it does not stand up to viewing as an adult.

There is also a 165 minute dvd documentary on the show called Beyond Tomorrow.

Mojo 17th July 2010 07:12 PM

Network have released some excellent tv gems. Ace Of Wands has to be one of my favourite releases so far.

Boxsets of Doom Watch and the BBC cop show Target would be pretty nifty too.

Make Them Die Slowly 14th October 2010 11:36 PM

I just watched the whole series of "Raven". It was even better than I remembered it. Written by Jeremy Burnham and Trevor Ray of "Children of the Stones" fame, the story concerns ecological worries, the supernatural and the sacred defender of Albion, played here by a very young Phil Daniels. Highly recommended if you are a fan of wyrd British cinema and telly.

mr 420 15th October 2010 10:06 AM

Have you seen the doc? It sounds right up my street. Used to love the Tomorrow People as a nipper. Who remembers the big white balloon things that were the baddies in a couple of episodes? They scared the S@#t out of me as a kid, but I managed to see a small clip of them a few years ago and realised that they were prob the worst monsters ever put on screen! lol

Make Them Die Slowly 22nd October 2010 07:56 AM

CHILDREN OF THE STONES. Blimey, this is amazing, imagine Quatermass with a whiff of The Wicker Man made for kids. If you fancy it, go for the region 1 release and save yourself a fair few quid. Excellent stuff.:clap:

Susan Foreman 28th February 2015 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark meakin (Post 29735)
I grew up as a kid (then teenager) with:-

Thunderbirds

Prepare to have your memories destroyed!

https://uk.tv.yahoo.com/fans-react-t...124701140.html - Fans React To 'Terrible' New Thunderbirds Characters

Rik 28th February 2015 05:30 PM

Always preferred Terrahawks, but yeah, they do look shit :nod:

Vampix 28th February 2015 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the blob (Post 92337)
Noone else remembers The Tomorrow People? I always wanted one of those belt things.

The music and opening credits for The Tomorrow People used to freak me out as a kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xez4o1ujOPI

iank 14th May 2015 02:27 AM

I grew up on the likes of V, Robin of Sherwood, Sons and Daughters and The Little Vampire, getting into Doctor Who a little later on into my childhood. Plus all the usuals like The A Team. Ah, happy days. :)

Demoncrat 14th May 2015 12:33 PM

Ludwig
The Singing Ringing Tree
Picture Box
How!
King Of The Castle
Fingerbobs
DR WHO
Space 1999
Survivors
Mr Benn
Double Deckers
Willo The Wisp
Jackanory
Magpie
The Tomorrow People
Blake's 7
Armchair Thriller

and yet me mum always said I was never in...:lol:

iank 14th May 2015 09:54 PM

Oh, and Soap! How could I forget Soap?:)

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th May 2015 11:49 AM

I see CSI will soon be part of this thread.

I'm only up to season 5. Funnily enough i ordered season 6 on Tuesday. I just order a series every year.

To anyone who is still watching did it deteriorate or just run it's course?. After all 15 years is a long time.

It will be good to see Grissom and Willows return for this last series. (Not that they've actually left for me yet). :lol:

Rik 12th June 2015 08:41 PM

Anyone else watching (and loving) TFI Friday on Channel 4 right now?
Bringing back loads of memories, used to watch it then piss off to the pub :)