Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Television (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=567)
-   -   What TV Have You Seen? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/television/7170-what-tv-have-you-seen.html)

MrBarlow 8th January 2024 07:42 PM

Creepshow.

Mums/Queen Bee.
Jack who is close with his mum and she is taken away and spends his time in the garden, but something is unearthing from the garden. Three teens who are willing to go the distance to meet their favourite pop star discovers she isn't what she appears to be.

Skeletons In The Closet/Familiar.
A horror film buff collects props from films that a rival is willing to do anything to close down the business but gets something unexpectedly and tries to survive the props when they come to life. A man is tormented by something evil and tries to find a way to stop it from taking over his life and body.

Thanks to Shudder for messing up, these episodes are from season 3 and so far still not disappointed, Queen bee does have a few twist and turns and good build of suspense and good creative effects. Skeletons in the closet does pay homage to a good few classic horror films i'm sure we all have a soft spot for especially with the Silver Sphere ball that the tall man would be proud of.

MrBarlow 10th January 2024 05:47 PM

Creepshow.

The Last Tsuburaya/Okay, I Bite.
A art collector purchases a painting of a demon that can come to life in the Real world. A prisoner who collects spiders in his cell has a obsession with the arachnids calls up a old demon to save the spiders when pest control come in.

Stranger Sings/Meter Reader.
A doctor meets a young woman in a coffee shop and walks her home and is besotted by her when she sings only to find out her secret. A young girl battles to stay alive when a plague happens and must survive those around her including her own family.

Time out/The Things In Oakwood's Past.
A lawyer wishes time would be on his side till he is given a key that stops time with unexpected consequences. On the anniversary of a time capsule being buried, the townsfolk make a discovery when a secret is unearthed.

Drug Traffic/A Dead Girl Named Sue.
A young girl and her mother cross a border to get a certain medication and are detained. The officers slowly find out why she needs the medication. In a small town the dead begin to rise and the locals are ready to to lay some justice down.

Finally manage to get this watched and be back on her for now. This season was really good, plenty of suspense and some good tales to view even the animation episode was enjoyable, Stranger Sings is my favourite episode out of this season as you may find out what the secret is and does have some decent make-up for it.

Demoncrat 13th January 2024 04:59 PM

Last episode of this series of The Curse just landed so that's nice ...

Demoncrat 14th January 2024 10:50 AM

The Curse ep 10.

This one took a wild turn that I'm still trying to process tbh. I'm not sure whether this was a good thing or not. Hmmm. Wandavision it isn't haha. May rewatch the whole thing.

Dave Boy 15th January 2024 03:55 PM

I've been watching BAYWATCH every day.
Hidden away on Thatstv2 Freeview channel. Came across by chance.
Usually watch Kenny Everett Show on Thatstv, then over to Thatstv2 for The Brittas Empire followed by Baywatch.
Baywatch is in Season 1.

iank 15th January 2024 08:00 PM

Resubscribed to Netflix (not had it since August) on the ad tier of 6.99 a month (10 bucks less). To be fair, I watched like two hours last night and had two short ads.
Watched the first two eps of Fool Me Once. A former soldier who seemingly exited in disgrace and who has already lost her sister to a violent home invasion witnesses her husband gunned down by robbers... only to see him on a hidden nanny-cam not long after the funeral. Pretty good so far. Joanna Lumley's in it. Bloody hell she's still going!:nod:

Demoncrat 24th January 2024 07:10 PM

Sticking this here as it mostly fits. I try not to watch "reactors" as they take away time from the endless screed of fourth tier chop socky I need to be a better Demon :rolleyes::rolleyes::nod::laugh::wise::pound:, but had to tune into One Fcuking Hour's 2 hour exploration of The Curse .
Still determined to go through it at least once more, but they are on the money so far (25 minutes to go) regarding the tone of the thing.
Ahem.
As you were ....

iank 1st February 2024 08:42 PM

I'm just marathonning Smallville now. In the last third of season 6. Have to say, it does get better as it goes. First two seasons were very Buffy-ripoff-with-Superman. I did enjoy the darker season 3 with Evil Lionel at his most despicable - love John Glover. 4 was fun, though the whole magic plot with Lana felt like a complete waste of time. But 5 and 6 have been great, a lot darker, and the Clark/Lana/Lex plot is deliciously twisted, esp with Lex clearly going Full Bad Guy now.* It's also very cognitive dissonance inducing with Chloe still being so loveable... :scared::scared::behindsofa::behindsofa::lol:

gag 1st February 2024 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 694561)
Resubscribed to Netflix (not had it since August) on the ad tier of 6.99 a month (10 bucks less). To be fair, I watched like two hours last night and had two short ads.
Watched the first two eps of Fool Me Once. A former soldier who seemingly exited in disgrace and who has already lost her sister to a violent home invasion witnesses her husband gunned down by robbers... only to see him on a hidden nanny-cam not long after the funeral. Pretty good so far. Joanna Lumley's in it. Bloody hell she's still going!:nod:

We enjoyed it, there about 6 shows from Harlan coben, and we decided to watch the others, so far we’ve watched stay close and half way through another one (can’t remember name of top my head) and so far we personally are finding these two better .

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st February 2024 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 695433)
I'm just marathonning Smallville now. In the last third of season 6. Have to say, it does get better as it goes. First two seasons were very Buffy-ripoff-with-Superman. I did enjoy the darker season 3 with Evil Lionel at his most despicable - love John Glover. 4 was fun, though the whole magic plot with Lana felt like a complete waste of time. But 5 and 6 have been great, a lot darker, and the Clark/Lana/Lex plot is deliciously twisted, esp with Lex clearly going Full Bad Guy now.* It's also very cognitive dissonance inducing with Chloe still being so loveable... :scared::scared::behindsofa::behindsofa::lol:

I, like you, think it improves the longer it goes on, The introduction of Green Arrow takes it up another level too.

Getting rid of Ryan, 'er Pete helped improve things.

I still have the tenth season to watch. Had it three years. I'll re-watch the whole show to recap. That's the plan anyway.

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd February 2024 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 695433)

Thanks to yesterdays Smallville chat i restarted it last night in preparation for season 10.

2 down, 215 to go. :lol:

Michael Rosenbaum in the definitive Lex Luthor in my eyes. He's absolutely brilliant.

Need to get him and Welling in the DC Multiverse ASAP.

iank 3rd February 2024 03:20 AM

I do agree, he's my favourite Lex.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th February 2024 11:11 AM

I'm currently 13 episodes into my first rewatch of the first season of Smallville (2001)

The coming of age adventures of teenage Clark Kent (Tom Welling) in his fictional hometown of Smallville, Kansas, before he formally becomes the Man of Steel. The first few series focus are centered on the high school life of Clark and his friends, his complicated romance with Lana Lang (Kristin Kreuk), and his friendship with future nemesis Lex Luthor (Michael Rosenbaum).

As with all shows in this era the first is very much a 'Threat of the week' show with long running story lines in the background.

Having said that, these first 13 episodes have been generally on the strong side with two or three genuinely great ones along the way.

Helped no end by Rosenbaum being the greatest screen Lex Luthor to date and John Glover portraying an equally good Lionel Luther, whilst Annette O'Toole is still the mum any teenage boy would kill for.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th February 2024 03:21 PM

Since my last post in this thread, I finished the Sons of Anarchy box set, watching all 91 episodes of the seven seasons (plus rewatches with the commentaries) relatively quickly and without interspersing it with another TV series.

I think the speed worked because it allowed me to go from one season to the next without forgetting what happened previously and focus on the narrative and character arcs, and interpersonal relationships, in a way that would have been impossible if I was watching more than one show at a time.

I found it interesting that I noticed Charlie Hunnam's English accent occasionally leaking through in the way he pronounced certain words within sentences that were otherwise very American, moreso the way he emphasises the 't' sound in words that Americans would probably say with a 'd' sound. I think that's what Tom Holland meant when he said that it was easier for English actors to speak with a convincing (or passable) American accent than for American actors to learn RP English.

Sons of Anarchy is a really good show and one of those drama shows which is both popular and acclaimed, and, like Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, or Succession, focuses on anti-heroes, people who are amoral criminals or even murderers that you grow to like and even root for, siding with them instead of law-enforcement officials.

After that, because I noticed the second season of Reacher was on Prime Video, I rewatched the first season to familiarise myself with the characters again and have watched the first few episodes of the second season. It's a good show which benefits from Alan Ritchson, a huge man, playing the titular character – although I haven't read any of Lee Child's books, Ritchson matches the descriptions of Reacher I've read online. He is also a very good actor, able to be brutal, humorous, and appropriately tender, with fine support from the good ensemble cast. If you have Prime Video, I recommend it.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th February 2024 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 695706)
Since my last post in this thread, I finished the Sons of Anarchy box set, watching all 91 episodes of the seven seasons (plus rewatches with the commentaries) relatively quickly and without interspersing it with another TV series.

Most of he law enforcement officials are more corrupt than the outlaws aren't they. Very easy to take a dislike to as they are supposedly on the side of right. :lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th February 2024 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 695710)
Most of he law enforcement officials are more corrupt than the outlaws aren't they. Very easy to take a dislike to as they are supposedly on the side of right. :lol:

Even the police who are law-abiding citizens without a corrupt bone in their bodies are difficult to support because they are trying to bring down the charismatic protagonist, whether it's Jax Teller, Tony Soprano, or Walter White.

iank 13th February 2024 07:02 AM

Started season 9 of Smallville now. 7 was pretty good and it was fun to have James Marsters back as Brainiac, though losing Lionel, Lana and Lex in the space of a few eps was a bit much. I am glad they brought Lana back for a multi-episode guest stint in season 8, though, as while it sat rather oddly in the middle of the season (would have been better earlier) her exit the previous season sucked absolute balls. Brainiac turns her into a vegetable, she disappears for a bunch of eps and then when she wakes up (off-screen) after he's destroyed, her exit is a pre-recorded videotape. Like, really? That's the exit you give your leading lady for the last seven years? F**k off!
8 was pretty solid, though, with the Davis Bloome/Doomsday arc giving it plenty of welly.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th February 2024 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 695862)
Started season 9 of Smallville now. 7 was pretty good and it was fun to have James Marsters back as Brainiac, though losing Lionel, Lana and Lex in the space of a few eps was a bit much. I am glad they brought Lana back for a multi-episode guest stint in season 8, though, as while it sat rather oddly in the middle of the season (would have been better earlier) her exit the previous season sucked absolute balls. Brainiac turns her into a vegetable, she disappears for a bunch of eps and then when she wakes up (off-screen) after he's destroyed, her exit is a pre-recorded videotape. Like, really? That's the exit you give your leading lady for the last seven years? F**k off!
8 was pretty solid, though, with the Davis Bloome/Doomsday arc giving it plenty of welly.

Having Lana in for so long was holding the whole show back i thought when i initially watched it. Couldn't wait for her to leave.

I watched episode 15 of season one last night Nicodemus.

Wonderful first scene with Jonathan Kent (John Schneider) in his truck listening to Good Ol' Boys by Willie Nelson. Wonder if he'd heard that before?

MrBarlow 13th February 2024 10:52 AM

Chocky.

I had only ever seen parts of this back in the early 90s and somehow came across it while searching for something completely different. I never realised it was based on a book by John Wyndham that was a interesting concept for me to re-watch this. Andrew Ellams plays the 12 year old who is somewhat befriended by a strange mist that can talk to him and helps him solve problems but also slowly learns of the human race and causes problems within the family. James Hazeldine and Carol Drinkwater play the adoptive parents who thinks their son has a imaginary friend until it all comes out slowly. A great tv show that was probably played in the afternoon.

Susan Foreman 13th February 2024 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 695877)
Chocky.

I had only ever seen parts of this back in the early 90s and somehow came across it while searching for something completely different. I never realised it was based on a book by John Wyndham that was a interesting concept for me to re-watch this. Andrew Ellams plays the 12 year old who is somewhat befriended by a strange mist that can talk to him and helps him solve problems but also slowly learns of the human race and causes problems within the family. James Hazeldine and Carol Drinkwater play the adoptive parents who thinks their son has a imaginary friend until it all comes out slowly. A great tv show that was probably played in the afternoon.

Yes

It was broadcast on ITV (Thames Television) in 1984 on a Monday afternoon between 4:45 - 5:15 (after 'He-Man And The Masters Of The Universe' and before 'Emmerdale Farm')

There was also two sequel shows, each containing six episodes - 'Chocky's Children' in 1985 and 'Chocky's Challenge' in 1986

MrBarlow 13th February 2024 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 695879)
Yes

It was broadcast on ITV (Thames Television) in 1984 on a Monday afternoon between 4:45 - 5:15 (after 'He-Man And The Masters Of The Universe' and before 'Emmerdale Farm')

There was also two sequel shows, each containing six episodes - 'Chocky's Children' in 1985 and 'Chocky's Challenge' in 1986

Thank you Susan, will try and find the sequels.

iank 13th February 2024 07:32 PM

I remember it well.

gag 14th February 2024 10:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 695880)
Thank you Susan, will try and find the sequels.

I remember the show briefly, and I wasn't aware their was sequels, one day I found all 3 series in a shop so I bought them all and watched them, I enjoyed them.

Other 2 series are available in cex for £4 and £5.

MrBarlow 14th February 2024 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 695909)
I remember the show briefly, and I wasn't aware their was sequels, one day I found all 3 series in a shop so I bought them all and watched them, I enjoyed them.

Other 2 series are available in cex for £4 and £5.

Don't go mad but found the series on YouTube :behindsofa:

gag 14th February 2024 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 695910)
Don't go mad but found the series on YouTube :behindsofa:

Enjoy.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th February 2024 08:49 PM

Trigger Point: Season Two

Vicky McClure is RoboEXPO, the bomb disposal officer who doesn't eat, doesn't sleep, and seems completely unaffected when people blow up in front of her.

This exists in a world without occupational health, PTSD, family lives, and where the antagonist is cartoonishly loathsome.

It's very watchable though. I'm on the fourth episode and will definitely watch all six.

gag 16th February 2024 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 695970)
Trigger Point: Season Two

Vicky McClure is RoboEXPO, the bomb disposal officer who doesn't eat, doesn't sleep, and seems completely unaffected when people blow up in front of her.

This exists in a world without occupational health, PTSD, family lives, and where the antagonist is cartoonishly loathsome.

It's very watchable though. I'm on the fourth episode and will definitely watch all six.

First series was just ok, wife and me felt like they was trying to hard to be itv answer to line of duty but fell a little flat, but we have heard it is a step up and better.

iank 18th February 2024 12:55 AM

Finished Smallville. Really struggled with the last two seasons, with the ever-shrinking cast and most of the great characters gone, plus some really tedious plots. Season 10 barely has four characters left with even Chloe AWOL for most of it, though I probably preferred it to 9 since we did at least get John Glover back for a few eps as Evil Alt-Lionel. I can see why I watched it all, but also why I didn't watch to watch it again for so long. Season 8 was surprisingly good but the last two were agonising at times... Def went on too long.

Dave Boy 18th February 2024 02:56 PM

Currently watching DANGER UXB through again.
Great show. I remember lying down in front of the TV each week when it first aired on ITV in 1979.
The opening music and montage is awesome and is one of the great TV show opening titles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llW1o-W3G5Y

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th February 2024 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 696144)
Currently watching DANGER UXB through again.
Great show. I remember lying down in front of the TV each week when it first aired on ITV in 1979.
The opening music and montage is awesome and is one of the great TV show opening titles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llW1o-W3G5Y

I rewatched it last year via the dvd box set. Really good show. The pier episode was a gut wrencher.

Dave Boy 18th February 2024 03:26 PM

Yes, I remember that episode. What a shocker.
My Mum had an "Oh my God" moment. So unexpected.

gag 2nd March 2024 09:18 AM

Remake of shogun on Disney,

Just watched first two episodes, can't binge it's a weekly series,
Not sure what to say expect wow, utter fantastic, everything about it perfect, the acting, action, set pieces, 100% totally recommended,
Epic tv at its finest.
Blackthorne boat become shipwrecked in Japan and becoming a prisoner resulting in alsorts of problems and being caught in the middle of a war.

Was reading upon it and I wasn't aware it was loosely based of a true story,

Clavell's Shōgun is a fictionalized version of real events and history. Told in both Japanese and English, the English portion of the dialog was actually in Portuguese. The character of Blackthorne is loosely based on the historical English navigator William Adams, who in Japan rose to become a samurai under the strongest powerful daimyō and later the founder and first shōgun of the Tokugawa Shogunate of Japan, Tokugawa Ieyasu, whose life and reign lasted from 1543 to 1616 and on whom Shōgun's character Yoshii Toranaga is based.

MrBarlow 5th March 2024 12:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Chocky's Children.

A year has passed since Matthew had any contact with Chocky, he has been doing a lot of drawing of buildings and places he has never seen. He is sent to stay in the country with his aunt and meets a young girl Albertine who has a advanced I.Q. level, both children are under observation from the government and the watchful eye of Chocky.

This was a decent second season, it does have a bit of a homage to Wyndham's other story The Midwhich Cuckoos with officials observing the children this time the children are the protagonists and trying to outsmart the adults. Andrew Ellams returns to the role as Matthew with Anabel Worell as Albertine along with Prentis Hancock as the over bearing father and Angela Galbraith as the potter making Aunt.

Attachment 250253

MrBarlow 7th March 2024 12:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Chocky's Challenge.

The final series of Chocky, Albertine is offered a scholarship and has shown the existence of Chocky to her piers while her father suggests that they offer other gifted children a scholarship and assist Chocky in contacting her home planet, basically Chocky wants to phone home. With three other gifted children under the watchful eye of the military who want the secrets to use as a weapon will try any means to have them.

This one didn't really didn't appeal to me, Matthew Ellams is only in this for 3 episodes and barely has much screen time after the first episode. Paul Russell's character Paul comes over as a annoying little prat, Freddie Brooks has one hell of a fake American Accent that is almost laughable but he was only young. Think this series would be revisited at some point.

Attachment 250264

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th March 2024 10:25 PM

Watched the final two episodes of The Professionals tonight. All five series and 57 episodes.

On the whole it was top quality television with some episodes remarkably tense. You might think after five series of unconnected stories the quality would deteriorate towards the end but it really didn't. In fact it was probably getting better and better and finished on a real high.

Some stories were action based whilst others were Cold War style espionage with others featuring hit men, hate groups (No wonder Klansmen has never aired on UK tv), terrorists... you name it. Bombs go off, cars topple over, bullets are sprayed...all terrific stuff with three great leads in Lewis Collins, Martin Shaw and Gordon Jackson.

Yet another hit series from Brian Clemens to go with The Avengers, The New Avengers and Thriller and also an unforgettable theme tune from Laurie Johnson.

The restored dvd box set (It also came out on Blu but i didn't have a player at the time of purchasing) looks stunning - probably better on dvd than 90% of Italian films look on Blu - and i'm delighted to have it in the collection

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st March 2024 03:35 PM

Smallville series 3, episode 4 Slumber.

Katharine Isabelle guest stars as a comatose girl who has the ability to pull Clark into her dreams.

An episode with music entirely performed by R.E.M. using the songs Imitation of Life, Everybody Hurts, Losing My Religion, At My Most Beautiful and Bad Day.

The series has had some awesome songs from huge artists such as Coldplay, U2, Stereophonics, Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pink, Dido and Metallica but Slumber was the first to entirely use just the one band.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st March 2024 03:46 PM

I've been watching True Detective for the second time, my first viewing in several years. I thought the first season was great: a solid story accentuated by superb performances from Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson, and a very good screenplay.

I can't remember much about the second season and am a few episodes into it, so some details are falling into place, others not as much. I can't say that it's grabbed me in the same way as the first season did, but that might change over the remaining episodes.

gag 30th March 2024 10:29 PM

Accused, by Jimmy McGovern, He is best known for creating the drama series Cracker and wrote for tv saops Brookside and Corrie.

A British TV show about ppl in court and the crimes they've been accused of,
I've seen series 1 Ages ago but never seen series 2,
I thought this was series 2 turned out to be the USA version,
And it's just as equally as good as the British show,

Each episode is different and stars well-known actors,
such as Christopher Eccleston, Benjamin Smith, Juliet Stevenson, Andy Serkis, Marc Warren, Sean Bean uk version.

It's ppl in court and how they got there,
It's flicks between the court case and the storyline,
But this isn't about gangsters and low-life drug dealers or criminals known to the police,
It's about everyday Joe blogs going about their everyday life.
Eg, you might be at work and constantly bullied by one of the workers, and one day you retaliate back but kill them by accident, now you are in court and they're accusing you of deliberately killing them,
Every story is different but they are stories and ppl you can relate to and feel sorry for and even understand why they did what they did,
Extremely well made and Recommended if you want down to earth realistic shows.

iank 4th April 2024 10:03 PM

Couple of Star Trek TOS eps, Spectre of the Gun and The Tholian Web. Seen some eps of TOS years back but could never really get into it (despite loving the original cast movies) but I really enjoyed these. Oddly enough they're both from season 3, which is supposedly crap. More "fan consensus" BS perhaps? ;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th April 2024 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 697543)
Couple of Star Trek TOS eps, Spectre of the Gun and The Tholian Web. Seen some eps of TOS years back but could never really get into it (despite loving the original cast movies) but I really enjoyed these. Oddly enough they're both from season 3, which is supposedly crap. More "fan consensus" BS perhaps? ;)

I had never really seen Star Trek until i bought the restored dvd box sets even though like you i love the movies so can hardly call myself a fan.

I thought season 3, which i only saw for the first time a couple of years ago, was the worst by far. There were some excellent episodes but the majority were average to poor unfortunately especially as the series neared it's end.

The Way to Eden was absolutely terrible whilst The Enterprise Incident, The Tholian Web and Day of the Dove were really good