Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Television (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=567)
-   -   Kolchak: The Night Stalker (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/television/8096-kolchak-night-stalker.html)

Rik 29th February 2012 05:18 PM

Kolchak: The Night Stalker

1 Attachment(s)
I'm rather surprised there isn't already a thread dedicated to this. Share your thoughts and memories of what I consider one of the greatest US TV shows and a clear inspiration for the X Files.

Kolchak: The Night Stalker is an American television series that aired on ABC during the 1974-1975 season. It featured a fictional Chicago newspaper reporter — Carl Kolchak, played by Darren McGavin — who investigates mysterious crimes with unlikely causes, particularly ones law enforcement authorities won't pursue. Often these crimes involve some element of the supernatural or science fiction, such as fantastical creatures.
The series was preceded by two television movies, The Night Stalker (1972) and The Night Strangler (1973). While the series only lasted for one season, it remained popular in syndication, and is often credited as the inspiration for the popular television series The X-Files. Following The X-Files' success, the franchise was resurrected in 2005 in the form of a second television series with a new cast and characters, as well as subsequent novels and comic books.
Attachment 45732

VicDakin 29th February 2012 05:25 PM

Kolchak

10 Attachment(s)
Kolchak.
Yeah luv this series,Darren McGavin and Simon Oakland had such a chemistry together,and the stories were always top notch.

Rik 29th February 2012 05:28 PM

Great stills Vic :cool:
I've only recently rediscovered this, I used to love it when the BBC showed the series in the early 90's then forgot all about it. I'm going to have a Kolchak marathon when my dvd set turns up :)

VicDakin 29th February 2012 05:41 PM

Kolchak: The Night Stalker" The Zombie (1974)

3 Attachment(s)
Hardest part is choosing a fav episode,there all good,even the ones that have a scooby doo type story:)
Kolchak: The Night Stalker" The Zombie (1974)
Carl follows up on a series of murders where key figures in the Chicago numbers racket are turning up dead, their spines snapped by someone with incredible strength. The body of a murdered numbers runner keeps turning up at the scene of each crime, and Kolchak soon learns that someone is using voodoo to gain revenge on the criminals in the form of a murderous zombie

Hawkmonger 29th February 2012 07:09 PM

Soun'd like an interesting series. Almost like Marple or Poirot with Voodoo and Zombies. May well look into this.

Rik 29th February 2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 220987)
Soun'd like an interesting series. Almost like Marple or Poirot with Voodoo and Zombies. May well look into this.

The second film, The Night Strangler is available in full on youtube, its definitely worth checking out as a preview to the series
The Night Strangler (1973) - YouTube

Hawkmonger 29th February 2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 220988)
The second film, The Night Strangler is available in full on youtube, its definitely worth checking out as a preview to the series
The Night Strangler (1973) - YouTube

Thanks, will give this a viewing on friday after I have completed my exams.

Scyther 29th February 2012 09:04 PM

Discovered this series in 2011 and fell in love! A definite inspiration for The X Files, and I recently found the double TV movie feature for under $10 bucks at a record store! :)

Rik 29th February 2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scyther (Post 221008)
Discovered this series in 2011 and fell in love! A definite inspiration for The X Files, and I recently found the double TV movie feature for under $10 bucks at a record store! :)

Jammy sod, its £30 here for a used copy :)

the blob 29th February 2012 09:11 PM

I do like a bit of Kolchak. It's been a while since I saw the series repeated on TV and one day I'll have to pick it up but I have the R1 of the two features.

Has anyone seen the modern one? Never had a chance to see it myself.

Rik 29th February 2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the blob (Post 221011)
I do like a bit of Kolchak. It's been a while since I saw the series repeated on TV and one day I'll have to pick it up but I have the R1 of the two features.

I've not seen it but from what I gather its a load of rubbish, I think I'll rent it first and make up my own mind.

Rik 2nd March 2012 09:47 PM

Well. my dvd set arrived today so I'm currently working my way through disc number 1. Its just as good as I remember it from years ago :pop2:

VicDakin 7th March 2012 05:39 PM

Gordon Spangler / Gordy / Gordy Spangler

29 Attachment(s)
Kolchak: The Night Stalker (TV series)
Gordon Spangler / Gordy / Gordy Spangler
– The Youth Killer (1975) … Gordy
– They Have Been, They Are, They Will Be... (1974) … Gordy Spangler
– The Zombie (1974) … Gordon Spangler

I thought id take a look at some of the recurring characters in the Kolchak universe,Gordon Spangler played by character actor John Fiedler,is really great as the morgue attendant on the take,whenever Carl needs some info on a corpse,then Gordy is the man.Great comic relief,especially considering his job,Such a great character that you feel he's in every episode,but only did 3,although a total stranger to patient confidentiality.

VicDakin 8th March 2012 06:16 PM

Jack Grinnage as Ron Updyke

14 Attachment(s)
Jack Grinnage as Ron Updyke
wiki-
Ron Updyke works at INS with Carl Kolchak. He is a very uptight, easily insulted, petty, weenie of a man. Kolchak will often deliberately mangle his pronunciation of "Updyke" just to irritate him. For example, once Kolchak pronounced his last name as "Uptight". Ron became furious, and ran straight to their boss's office to tell on him.
Another of Ron's pet peeves is Kolchak parking in his (reserved) parking space. He even tried to have Kolchak's car towed once, but the plan backfired, when Kolchak switched cars.
The Night Stalker" (18 episodes )
The Ripper (13 September 1974)
They Have Been, They Are, They Will Be... (27 September 1974)
The Vampire (4 October 1974
The Werewolf (1 November 1974
Firefall (8 November 1974)
The Devil's Platform (15 November 1974)
Bad Medicine (29 November 1974)
The Spanish Moss Murders (6 December 1974)
The Energy Eater (13 December 1974)
Horror in the Heights (20 December 1974)
Mr. R.I.N.G. (10 January 1975)
Primal Scream (17 January 1975)
The Trevi Collection (24 January 1975)
Chopper (31 January 1975)
Demon in Lace (7 February 1975) -
Legacy of Terror (14 February 1975)
The Knightly Murders (7 March 1975)
The Youth Killer (14 March 1975)

Hawkmonger 8th March 2012 06:17 PM

That is one awsome tash! :pound:

VicDakin 9th March 2012 06:12 PM

The Energy Eater

31 Attachment(s)
Nice guest appearance from my fav B-movie tough guy William Smith.

VicDakin 10th March 2012 01:18 PM

The Night Stalker (TV movie) 1972

51 Attachment(s)
Where it all begain............

VicDakin 11th March 2012 10:01 PM

The Night Strangler (TV 1973)

42 Attachment(s)
The 2nd Kolchak film........The Night Strangler

Not alot of peope know this,according to IMDB-
At the end of the film Kolchak is telling Vincenzo and Janie Watkins (now both also out of work thanks to him) that he's going to drive them to New York City and that they'll love New York. Director Dan Curtis and screenwriter Richard Matheson had actually planned to do a third Kolchak movie set in NYC. In New York, Kolchak was going to discover that Janos Skorzeny - the vampire from the first film - was not only not dead, but active again! This film was going to complete a planned trilogy of Kolchak movies, entitled The Trilogy of Terror.

VicDakin 13th March 2012 04:41 PM

Bad Medicine Richard Kiel

33 Attachment(s)
Kolchak vs Jaws or as his mum knows him Richard Kiel

A series of apparent suicides among high-society matrons coincides with a bizarre jewel theft by a towering Indian who mysteriously disappears when cornered. Carl must learn who the tall Indian is, why he's stealing gems and slaying their owners - and how to stop him forever.

Rik 13th March 2012 05:36 PM

I watched this episode last night (along with three others), I can't get enough of this series at the minute.
Great stills by the way, again :)

VicDakin 16th March 2012 05:19 PM

Kolchak: The Night Stalker The Zombie (1974)

29 Attachment(s)
2nd episode in the series is one of my favs,has great cameos from Antonio Fargas as Sweetstick Weldon and Scatman Crothers as Uncle Filemon,sadly both under used in this episode,but still good too see them.

Carl follows up on a series of murders where key figures in the Chicago numbers racket are turning up dead, their spines snapped by someone with incredible strength. The body of a murdered numbers runner keeps turning up at the scene of each crime, and Kolchak soon learns that someone is using voodoo to gain revenge on the criminals in the form of a murderous zombie

VicDakin 22nd March 2012 05:21 PM

Horror in the Heights (20 Dec. 1974)

35 Attachment(s)
Horror in the Heights (20 Dec. 1974)
Very strange episode,full of old Jewish people,swastikas and a Hindu demon,plus the awesome Phil Silvers.

Carl investigates a series of deaths that take place in a community mostly populated by the elderly. The bodies are partially devoured, seemingly by rats, but Kolchak begins to suspect that a more sinister force is at work: a ghastly flesh-eating Hindu demon known as the Rakshasa has set up shop in the area, and it has the ability to take its victims by surprise by appearing to them as the person they trust the most.

VicDakin 16th September 2012 02:05 PM

28 Attachment(s)
http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/atta...1&d=1347804167
im not sure why,perhaps with night drawing in and hallows eve comin soon i felt the need for some Kolchak: The Night Stalker ,#
Chopper
Former members of a biker gang from the 50s are being decapitated, and a key witness claims that the murders are being committed by a headless figure on a motorcycle wielding a sword. Kolchak pieces the story together and finds that the specter is out to avenge his death due to some rather unusual circumstances surrounding his burial.

Rik 27th February 2013 09:53 PM

Just watched the above episode :rockon:

Justin101 28th February 2013 08:51 AM

I keep meaning to watch this - but I have so many things on my watch pile it's impossible!

gag 28th February 2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 324573)
I keep meaning to watch this - but I have so many things on my watch pile it's impossible!

Snap same here especaily when you dont get as much chance to watch something as much as you would like..

Hawkmonger 28th February 2013 06:47 PM

Snap squared. I need to start watching this also.:lol:

Rik 28th February 2013 06:57 PM

I've watched the final four episodes today, still just as good now as when I first saw it on the BBC back in the early 90's and the influence on the X Files is blatant, hence my reason for wanting to revisit that classic show too

J Harker 29th March 2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the blob (Post 221011)

I've seen a few episodes. I personally enjoyed it. Can't remember it very well though.

Rik 28th May 2014 09:40 PM

Sod Ant-Man!! :woot::woot::woot:

Edgar Wright Looking to Direct Johnny Depp in Kolchak: The Night Stalker - Dread Central

Rondadoronron 6th October 2014 07:20 PM

Kolchak:the night stalker

7 Attachment(s)
The Ripper.
I thought id give the Kolchak box set a spin as its been awhile since I last watched it.
What I luv about the series is it completely relies on Darren Mcgavin,he really sells the show,even given the most ludicrous plot lines and dialogue his performance is superb throughout the entire series and some of the stories are straight out of Scooby Doo school of writing.Aided by his ever put upon editor Tony Vincenzo played by the wonderful Simon Oakland, a lot of the comedy comes from there love hate relationship.
The Ripper see's Kolchak being temporarily demoted to answering Dear Emily letters by Tony Vincenzo, for impersonating a Police Chief.Meanwhile Ron Updike has been given the job of investigating the Ripper murders,a copycat killer of Jack The Ripper is stalking the streets of Chicago.
Well its the 1970's so we get go-go dancers,masseurs and hookers and most of the men wearing paisley shirts.A splendidly gaudy episode with a goofy story and some nice comedy moments with rival reporter Jane Plum.One of the highlights of the episode has Kolchak caught in massage parlor sting set up by the police.
"lewd proposal he wanted to watch me with someone"
My only criticism would be the direction,it is a bit shoddy in places,mainly in the action scenes,for example the scene were the police chase the Ripper over the rooftops is abit messy.Also Ruth McDevitt who plays Emily in later episodes turns up in this episode but as a totally different character.But overall a good start to the series.

Rondadoronron 7th October 2014 05:55 PM

Episode 2
The Zombie
Somebody or something is killing members of organized crime in Chicago by snapping there spines,mean while Kolchak is given the task of teaching Monique Marmelstein the art of journalism.
A nice fast paced episode that neatly ties in the Mafia with Voodoo and a slight twist of blaxploitation.With some nice guest stars Huggie Bear aka Antonio Fargas as Sweetstick Weldon and Hong Kong Phooey himself Scatman Crothers.1970s checklist,stereotypical Italian Mafia check,stereotypical black pimps check,stereotypical voodoo priestess check.Criticizing anything from the 70's is pretty futile and it certainly doesn't suffer from the prissy we can't offend anybody TV drama were stuck with nowadays.By the way are all Haitians into Voodoo,(got to be better than stamp collecting as a hobby).
This is a great episode,with a really interesting story that has some rather neat ideas and a cool looking monster to boot.And now I know how to kill a voodoo raised zombie.(no thanks to you Mr Fulci).

Rondadoronron 10th October 2014 05:59 PM

Kolchak: The Night Stalker Episode 3

1 Attachment(s)
Episode 3

Attachment 146203

They have been,They are.They will be.
Animals are being killed and there bone marrow is being removed,two ton of lead ingots disappear,electrical equipment is being stolen and there's a sticky mess on the lawn and its the start of the baseball world series.
"My grandfather fell init,Were still trying to clean him"
Probably one of the more convoluted plots from the series,and also one of the more sci-fi themed stories rather than the usual supernatural escapades of Kolchak.This episode see's Kolchak in full investigative reporter mode,its all very Columbo in tone and about as deep but like Peter Falk,its McGavins character that's holds it all together.As UFO stories go its pretty uneventful and apart from a few scenes of cops being thrown around most of the story unfolds thru Kolchak's narration.None of the interesting threads of the story are tied together so were left clueless at the end.Not a great episode im afraid a small glitch in an otherwise great series.

iank 12th September 2015 11:20 PM

Heard of this show for a very long time but only discovered it this year. Really enjoyed it, just two episodes left sadly. I think my two favourites of the series were Horror in the Heights (which - is it just me? - actually seems like it could have been an influence on It Follows, albeit less dull ;)) and the one with the doppelganger trying to take over this concerto bloke's very existence. Those two had some genuinely creepy stuff in it.
Not every episode is great but McGavin is brilliant and the supporting cast are great too, as is the whole 70sness of it.
Glad I took a punt on this. I like discovering these older things and then genuinely becoming a fan, even if it is a bit late. Only found Callan in the last year as well! :glitter:

J Harker 13th September 2015 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 461812)
Heard of this show for a very long time but only discovered it this year. Really enjoyed it, just two episodes left sadly. I think my two favourites of the series were Horror in the Heights (which - is it just me? - actually seems like it could have been an influence on It Follows, albeit less dull ;)) and the one with the doppelganger trying to take over this concerto bloke's very existence. Those two had some genuinely creepy stuff in it.
Not every episode is great but McGavin is brilliant and the supporting cast are great too, as is the whole 70sness of it.
Glad I took a punt on this. I like discovering these older things and then genuinely becoming a fan, even if it is a bit late. Only found Callan in the last year as well! :glitter:

Kolchak is a brilliant show. I just wish someone would treat it a better on dvd. Or dare to dream BR.

Rik 13th September 2015 09:11 AM

Yeah, I have the box set and the picture quality is pretty poor

SharonLynette 11th October 2015 06:56 PM

You know I didn't even realise there was a thread dedicated to this until I browsed. I picked it up blindly as I've never heard anyone mentioning anything about it but it's just such a fab little series.

Rik 24th July 2017 10:20 AM

Dug out my box set the other day, gonna have a Kolchak marathon over the next few days :nod:

J Harker 24th July 2017 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 543260)
Dug out my box set the other day, gonna have a Kolchak marathon over the next few days :nod:

Wonder if treb will buy a copy? [emoji6]

Rik 24th July 2017 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 543262)
Wonder if treb will buy a copy? [emoji6]

He's probably already bought and sold it three times :lol: