Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Television (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=567)
-   -   The Goodies (TV series) (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/television/8671-goodies-tv-series.html)

VicDakin 10th May 2012 04:38 PM

The Goodies (TV series)

45 Attachment(s)
I think most people of a certain age will remember The Goodies,seen at the time as a kid's version of Monty Python,it had a glorious crazy charm,and re-wathing the series again has brought back some great childhood memories.So if your a fan please show your appreciation,if not then im sending Kitten Kong round :)

The Goodies is a British television comedy series of the 1970s and early 1980s. The series, which combines surreal sketches and situation comedy, was broadcast by BBC 2[1] from 1970 until 1980 — and was then broadcast by the ITV company LWT for a year, between 1981 to 1982.

VicDakin 10th May 2012 04:42 PM

The Goodies: Season 2, Episode 7 Kitten Kong (12 Nov. 1971)

5 Attachment(s)
The boys' latest venture, a veterinary clinic takes in a 23-year year old kitten named Twinkle. Who grows into a giant and attacks the city after being fed a growth serum.

Pete 10th May 2012 07:08 PM

My Dad loves THE GOODIES but I could never get into them. The only thing that ever made me laugh was Tim Brooke Taylor doing SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER.

the goodies saturday night grease - YouTube

Make Them Die Slowly 10th May 2012 10:11 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I f*cking loved the Goodies when I was a kid. They are the sole reason I moved up north, so that I could learn ecky thump in it's birth place of Rochdale.;)

Did anyone have these? I did, sadly gone now.

VicDakin 10th May 2012 10:20 PM

goodies

Yeah I had The Goodies File and the Disaster movie book,in fact Ive only just remembered I had those :) but like you long gone :doh:

Susan Foreman 11th May 2012 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 240816)
Did anyone have these? I did, sadly gone now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicDakin (Post 240817)
Yeah I had The Goodies File and the Disaster movie book,in fact Ive only just remembered I had those :) but like you long gone :doh:

I think I have those (and more) up in the loft

I also have every existing episode on tape - quality varies tho!

The BBC were always embarrassed by the show. They didn't know how to market it - was it adult satire? was it childish slapstick? was it a failed attempt to re-do Python? was it the future of surreal comedy? - and as such, they decided to bury it

When was the last time you saw "The Goodies" on television?

Exactly!

Oh - these should be put up as well to refresh the memory

The original theme song - The Goodies opening theme - YouTube

The best known theme song - The Goodies Theme 1 - YouTube

VicDakin 11th May 2012 05:07 PM

Kung Fu Capers (24 Mar. 1975)

54 Attachment(s)
Kung Fu Capers (24 Mar. 1975)

Pete 11th May 2012 07:43 PM

Surprised no-one has mentioned the Funky Gibbon yet! My used to play it all the bloody time!

Goodies - The Funky Gibbon (HQ) |TOTP 20-3-1975| - YouTube

VicDakin 11th May 2012 08:09 PM

Funky Pete

We may convert you yet young man :)
wiki-
The Goodies also had a string of successful chart singles penned by Bill Oddie.

In 1975, they chalked up five hit singles in twelve months including "The Inbetweenies" and "Funky Gibbon" (both songs are performed during the episode "The Goodies – Almost Live").

"Funky Gibbon" reached number 4 in the charts in Britain, and The Goodies made an appearance on Top of the Pops with the song.

VicDakin 11th May 2012 08:18 PM

Kung Fu Kapers

Viewer death

The episode is infamous for the documented example of a man laughing to death. 50-year-old Alex Mitchell could not stop laughing for a continuous 25 minute period - almost the entire length of the show - and suffered a fatal heart attack as a result of the strain placed on his heart. His widow later sent the Goodies a letter thanking them for making Mitchell's final moments so pleasant

Make Them Die Slowly 11th May 2012 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 241101)
Surprised no-one has mentioned the Funky Gibbon yet! My used to play it all the bloody time!

Goodies - The Funky Gibbon (HQ) |TOTP 20-3-1975| - YouTube

I've had this in my head ever since Vic started the thread. Bastard.

VicDakin 12th May 2012 06:43 AM

The Funky Gibbon

1 Attachment(s)
Just for Mr MTDS and Pete here's the lyrics,so one two three all together now......

Come on everybody
It's gibbon time

We're the Goodies
How do you do?
We've just been down to the zoo
We saw a monkey in a cage
Doing a dance
That could be the rage
It's not hard
So let's all do the funky gibbon
Ooo, ooo, ooo

Do, do, do the funky gibbon
(The funky gibbon)
We are here to show you how
Ooo, ooo, ooo
Ooo, ooo, ooo, the funky gibbon
He's just like you
So come on and do
The funky gibbon now

Dogs are always howlin'
Cats are always yowlin'
But gibbons only
Like to sing and dance
Oop, oop, sh boop

You'll be like that monkey
Get a little funky
And in a while
Start to smile
Gibbon half a chance

(The funky gibbon)
Ooo, ooo, ooo
(The funky gibbon)
He's just like you
So come on and do
The funky gibbon now

Ooo, ooo, the funky gibbon
Ooo, ooo, ooo the funky gibbon

Gee, the world would be good
I?
Me, with just a little gibbon tea
Sha, la, la

We slap that gibbon
Oh, feel the rhythm
And you'll groove
And dance up to the planet of apes

Ooo, ooo, ooo
(The funky gibbon)
He's just like you
So come on and do
The funky gibbon now

Now everybody get ready
To do the funky gibbon
Drop one arms down by your knees
And the other arm
Reach up to the trees

Let your wrist go limp
Like a bent baboon
Get ready to sing
This gibbon's tune

Will you give me an ooo
(Ooo)
Will you give me another ooo
(Ooo)
And will you give me an ooo
(Ooo)
Now put 'em together
What've you got
(Ooo, ooo, ooo)

Ooo, ooo, ooo
(The funky gibbon)
He's just like you
So come on and do
The funky gibbon now

He promised to buy me
A bunch of blue gibbons
To tie up my bonny brown

The funky gibbon

Susan Foreman 12th May 2012 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicDakin (Post 241252)
Just for Mr MTDS and Pete here's the lyrics,so one two three all together now......

Hope you don't mind me doing this, Vic, but being a boring guitarist, I couldn't resist! Here are the chords, so play along

"The Funky Gibbon

(C) We’re the Goodies, how do you do
We’ve just been down to the zoo
(C) We saw a monkey in a cage
Doin’ a dance that could be the rage
(C) It’s not hard, so let’s all do
The Funky Gibbon, ooh ooh ohh

CHORUS
(C) Do do do the funky gibbon
(G7) We are here to show you how
(C) ooh ooh ooh the funky gibbon
(G7) It’s just like you, so come on and do the funky gibbon now.

(C) Dogs are always howling
(D7) cats are always yowling
But (G7) gibbons only like to sing and (C) dance.
You be like that monkey
(D7) get a little funky
And (G) in a while start to smile
(G7) gibbon half a (C) chance.

REPEAT CHORUS

(C) G – the world would be good
(D7) I know how nice it could
(G7) B – with just a little gibbon (C) take
B – just like that gibbon
(D7) O – you feel the rhythm
(G) N – you’ll grove, dance up to the (G7) planet of the (C) apes

[Spoken interlude]

Now everybody get ready to do the funky gibbon
Drop one arm down by your knees
Let the other arm reach up to the trees
Let your wrist go limp like a bent baboon
And get read to sing this gibbon tune.

REPEAT CHORUS

[play four times]
(C) ooh ooh ooh, the funky gibbon"

Now, does anyone want the chords to 'Agadoo'?

VicDakin 12th May 2012 07:15 AM

Earworm

This may help young MTDS

An earworm is a piece of music that sticks in one's mind so that one seems to hear it, even when it is not being played. Other phrases used to describe this include musical imagery repetition and involuntary musical imagery. The phenomenon is common in normal life and so may be distinguished from brain damage which results in palinacousis.

This is also called a 'haunting melody' or 'hard-to-shake melody'.[citation needed] In Germany, an earworm is known as "ohrwurm", a type of song that typically has a high, upbeat melody and repetitive lyrics that verge between catchy and annoying. Earworm is also referred as ‘stuck song syndrome,‘involuntary musical imagery’ (INMIs; Liikkanen, 2008), ‘brainworms’ or ‘sticky music’

One reason that this occurs is that melodic music tends to have a rhythm which repeats. This cyclical nature may cause endless repetition unless some way to achieve a climax is found which breaks the cycle.

Demoncrat 12th May 2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 240855)
I think I have those (and more) up in the loft

I also have every existing episode on tape - quality varies tho!

The BBC were always embarrassed by the show. They didn't know how to market it - was it adult satire? was it childish slapstick? was it a failed attempt to re-do Python? was it the future of surreal comedy? - and as such, they decided to bury it

When was the last time you saw "The Goodies" on television?

Exactly!

Oh - these should be put up as well to refresh the memory

The original theme song - The Goodies opening theme - YouTube

The best known theme song - The Goodies Theme 1 - YouTube

They repeated the Olympic episode a while back on BBC2 if i remember.....have still got the books, few singles etc, sadly no LP though. Love the episode "The End" where they are encased in concrete.....:laugh:

VicDakin 12th May 2012 12:16 PM

The Goodies Rule – O.K.?

47 Attachment(s)
The Goodies Rule – O.K.?

VicDakin 19th May 2012 06:28 PM

The "Goodies": The Official Goodie Handbook

1 Attachment(s)
The "Goodies": The Official Goodie Handbook
Just got a 2nd hand copy of this,great reference guide to the tv programme

VicDakin 21st May 2012 05:25 PM

The Goodies: Season 9, Episode 2 Football Crazy

28 Attachment(s)
The Goodies: Season 9, Episode 2 Football Crazy.
Football fans have become increasingly violent, and Bill, who is the worst offender, is arrested for disruptive behaviour by Tim (who has become a police officer). It is not Bill's first offence at the football and he proudly stands by during a listing of his previous misdemeanours as a spectactor.

Tim is of the opinion that the players are also to blame for the violence by the length of their shorts, and by their provocative on-field behaviour after scoring goals.

To cut down on the violence, it is decided that the shorts should be longer, and that only one fan be allowed to watch each game as a spectactator in attendance — with a large number of police to keep the fan in check. Bill is the fan who is chosen to attend, and, being the only fan, he becomes increasingly violent and frustrated during the match because he has nobody to fight with.

Later, as a last resort against football violence, the sport is no longer played. However, although football no longer exists, the violence remains, and it finds a new outlet.

Tim decides to attend the ballet at Covent Garden. While walking to the theatre, he is worried about the number of violent-looking young men, dressed as sports fans, who are heading in the same direction. Tim is looking forward to seeing the ballet — but he is not impressed to discover that the violent-looking men are also members of the audience.

As the ballet starts, so, too, do the spectators, who are cheering or booing the dancers on the stage. Football spectator violence had become ballet spectator violence — and violent competition between football teams had now transferred to violent competition between the ballerinas and the male ballet dancers. The Goodies get caught up with what is happening on stage — Tim becomes a 'trainer', and both Graeme and Bill take part in the dance 'competition', where, dressed as ballerinas with football socks, they dance in opposition to the male ballet dancers. They dance against Aston Villa with their own team being Bill, Graeme, Kevin Keegan, Pele, Johan Cruyff and Tim as manager.

Susan Foreman 22nd June 2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicDakin (Post 241138)
Viewer death

The episode is infamous for the documented example of a man laughing to death. 50-year-old Alex Mitchell could not stop laughing for a continuous 25 minute period - almost the entire length of the show - and suffered a fatal heart attack as a result of the strain placed on his heart. His widow later sent the Goodies a letter thanking them for making Mitchell's final moments so pleasant

BBC News - Goodies' fan Alex Mitchell 1975 laughter death 'solved'

the blob 22nd June 2012 10:23 PM

Ok, thanks. I now have the chorus of Funky Gibbon running endlessly inside my head!

I loved The Goodies when I was a kid but the only episodes I can remember are Ecky Thump and they one where they survive for years in the office.

the blob 25th July 2012 08:31 PM

http://img.tapatalk.com/5c1d73a1-57bb-5939.jpg

VicDakin 25th July 2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the blob (Post 260311)

The Holy Grail,of Goodies memorabilia :)

Susan Foreman 19th August 2012 02:01 PM

Scenes from the show that were censored in Australia have been re-discovered!

Goodies: censored tapes exposed

Rondadoronron 9th November 2013 07:26 PM

random Goodies generator Round and round and round she goes

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-d...h04m31s224.png

nosferatu42 9th November 2013 07:31 PM

Is that a tower between your legs or are you just pleased to see me?;)

Rondadoronron 10th November 2013 10:51 PM

random Goodies generator Round and round and round she goes

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-d...h02m14s128.pnghttps://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-4...h02m19s177.pnghttps://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-W...h02m22s177.pnghttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-e...0h02m26s16.png

Susan Foreman 4th August 2014 04:50 PM

Bit of a long-shot, but...

Can anyone confirm that the fourth (official) DVD release, 'The Goodies ...At Last - Back For More, Again', does not feature any special features, instead only containing the 8 episodes - "Cecily, The Music Lovers, The New Office, Goodies Rule - Ok?, Camelot, It Might As Well Be String, 2001 And A Bit and Royal Command."

Demoncrat 4th August 2014 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 413183)
Bit of a long-shot, but...

Can anyone confirm that the fourth (official) DVD release, 'The Goodies ...At Last - Back For More, Again', does not feature any special features, instead only containing the 8 episodes - "Cecily, The Music Lovers, The New Office, Goodies Rule - Ok?, Camelot, It Might As Well Be String, 2001 And A Bit and Royal Command."

Booklet is the only extra Suze.....

Susan Foreman 4th August 2014 04:59 PM

Thanks, Mr. Crat

That's a bit disappointing. The other DVD's have been bursting with extras

I will just have to buy it to enjoy the insanity of the episodes then!

Dave Boy 5th August 2014 09:44 PM

Anyone remember this rather awesome festive song ?
I have it on 45rpm on the B side of 'The Inbetweenies'

The Goodies - Father Christmas Do Not Touch Me [HQ Audio] - YouTube

Inspector Abberline 28th February 2016 03:24 PM

the Goodies

2 Attachment(s)
It had been bugging me that I was sure I saw a TCM poster in an episode of The Goodies,turned out it was from an episode of there LWT series called Change of Life.Bonus double feature posters for Shivers/Rabid and Humanoids from the deep/He Knows your Alone.

Inspector Abberline 12th March 2016 12:58 PM

The Goodies Rule OK: The Official Story of the Cult Comedy Collective

1 Attachment(s)
The Goodies Rule OK: The Official Story of the Cult Comedy Collective

Attachment 176649

Susan Foreman 10th July 2019 06:44 AM

The Goodies: The Movie | Indiegogo

Amount needed: £100,000
Amount raised (at time of writing): £8,881
Time remaining: 29 days

"Overview
Finally telling the story of The Goodies. IN THEIR OWN WORDS. YES THAT'S RIGHT. More relevant today than ever before...with chart-topping hits...politics ahead of their time...and a style of comedy that's never been rivalled. It's the story we've all been waiting for. Everything you ever wanted to know. Coming to a screen near you in 2020.

When Tim Brooke-Taylor, Graeme Garden and Bill Oddie were asked by the BBC to create a show that would be accessible to the mainstream, they thought they’d only last one series. So they decided to have some fun and make a show for themselves. Something that made them laugh - hoping that we’d laugh too. Throwing into it every comic device they’d loved as kids, and with Bill writing some very witty songs: they called themselves THE GOODIES.

They saw their comedy as a way of telling the truth about the world - about politics and civil rights, inequality, celebrity and the system in general. They were anti-establishment in their views but very silly in their humour.

When the first series aired in November 1970, we tuned in. 10 million of us. We laughed so much that by 1982 we’d watched 76 episodes of the show. We couldn’t get enough.

So for any fan who still wants more, this is their story. The bits before, the bits during and the bits right up to now…a tale of epic proportion, fifty years in the making and NEVER BEEN TOLD BEFORE, well, not quite like this anyhow.

WHAT’S IT ALL ABOUT?

By backing this campaign you’ll be helping us tell the story we’ve all been waiting for… The Goodies THE DEFINITIVE STORY like it’s never been told. And that’s because they’re the ones telling it - Tim, Bill and Graeme are on board to tell their no-holds barred, in-depth story for the very first time.

We’ll be bringing unseen material into the world as we scour every archive library and attic out there, looking for Goody gold. Hopefully footage you’ve never seen before and audio-taped interviews that have only existed in journalists' basements up until now.

With your help, we’ll be showing as many clips from the episodes as we can. It’s a numbers game: the more money we raise, the more clips we can license.

We’ll be interviewing all those people that were part of their journey, telling stories that have never been heard before. Anecdotes, memories and laughter.

How are we going to fit it all into 90 minutes? We’ll do our best to tell you an incredibly unique story, hopefully one with a few surprises for even the most knowledgeable fans. "

Susan Foreman 10th September 2019 09:11 AM

There's (another) Goodies DVD boxset on the horizon, due to be released on October 7th, 2019

Pre-Order at Amazon UK - £94.37

This is noted as having 14 discs, unlike the previous Complete BBC Collection (£50.49), which only had 12 discs

Presumably the additional two discs are the Complete LWT Series (£6.89)

Far be it from me to tell fans what to do with their money, but...do the maths people!

gag 10th September 2019 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 610841)
There's (another) Goodies DVD boxset on the horizon, due to be released on October 7th, 2019

Pre-Order at Amazon UK - £94.37

This is noted as having 14 discs, unlike the previous Complete BBC Collection (£50.49), which only had 12 discs

Presumably the additional two discs are the Complete LWT Series (£6.89)

Far be it from me to tell fans what to do with their money, but...do the maths people!

If something says complete to me then I presume there is nothing to add and that's absolutely everything, otherwise it's not complete and false advertising to me.

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th September 2019 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 610850)
If something says complete to me then I presume there is nothing to add and that's absolutely everything, otherwise it's not complete and false advertising to me.

What part is false advertising, gag?

There's the complete BBC series, the complete LWT series and now a new set that compiles them both as the complete collection.

So what exactly is false there?

Justin101 10th September 2019 02:38 PM

Some people just don’t read things properly and get confused.

Susan Foreman 21st December 2019 11:49 AM

December 21st, 1975 - 44 years ago today

Who else remembers this comedy classic?

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net...05&oe=5EB28AD2

Susan Foreman 26th January 2020 02:59 PM

Goodies fans choose Kung-Fu Kapers as favourite episode | BBC News

The top 5 episodes are:
5. The Movies
4. The Goodies Rule - OK?
3. Bunfight At The OK Tearooms
2. Kitten Kong
1. Kung-Fu Kapers

Susan Foreman 18th February 2020 09:44 AM

If you have the two BBC releases - 'At Last' and 'A Second Helping'...

...and are planning on upgrading to the 14 disc 'Complete Collection'...

...keep hold of the originals because most of the extra features are not carried over

Missing are the commentaries for:
  • 'Kitten Kong'
  • 'The Goodies And The Beanstalk'
  • 'Lighthouse Keeping Loonies'
  • 'The Movies'
  • 'South Africa'
  • 'The End.'
Also gone from the first set are:
  • The Goodies And The Beanstalk Storybook
  • Digital Restoration Feature
  • Storyboards
  • Out-Takes
  • Surviving 'Broaden Your Mind' Footage
And the second set loses:
  • Restoration Feature
  • Music: Crackerjack: A Man's Best Friend Is His Duck
  • The audio feature 'The Goodies In Conversation'

'The Complete LWT Series', however, has all the extras from the second disc carried over