Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The VHS Vaults (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=417)
-   -   Cannon Films (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/vhs-vaults/591-cannon-films.html)

Stephen@Cult Labs 27th November 2010 11:56 AM

Probably wouldn't happen, but with MGM's financial troubles of late, perhaps they would welcome any sort of money and licence the Cannon Library out cheaper than normal (yeah more chance of winning the lottery!).

mr 420 3rd December 2010 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 (Post 114435)
An unbridled classic piece of Ninja action this and imo Sho Kosugi's finest film.

Plenty of gratuitous violence and 'Shadow Warrior' shenanigans. Not to mention a nice bit of Shogun Assassin-esque blood spillage in the final reel.:rockon:

MGM's R1 DVD isn't perfect but at least looks great and i'd happily snap up ROTN on BR in a heartbeat.

The mother of all '80s Ninja epics as far as yours truly is concerned.:nod:

Ive touched on this before, but I'm sure that there is quite a bit missing from the cut of ROTN that we see today. Look at the trailer, there are a few scenes in there that do not appear in the film and I remember reading Combat magazine (or the like) interview with the guy who played Sho's police pal with the FBI lettering on the back saying how dissapointed he was that his entire scene fighting a 300 pound wrestler had been totally cut from the film. I would love to see an interview with Sam Firstenburg recalling his memories of the film.

bronx ratnik 3rd December 2010 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 115284)
Ive touched on this before, but I'm sure that there is quite a bit missing from the cut of ROTN that we see today. Look at the trailer, there are a few scenes in there that do not appear in the film and I remember reading Combat magazine (or the like) interview with the guy who played Sho's police pal with the FBI lettering on the back saying how dissapointed he was that his entire scene fighting a 300 pound wrestler had been totally cut from the film. I would love to see an interview with Sam Firstenburg recalling his memories of the film.

sho kosugi's coppper pal in this movie was played by the karate champion Keith Vitali.
He was also in the badass movie No retreat no surrender part 3.
kick ass movie!

I believe the missing scenes were on the trailer and not meant to be in the movie?
only god knows what their intention was leaving these scenes out of the final cut?
they could have been as an extra bonus if not inserted in the movie!
crap happens when the director doesn't have the full authority to say the final word.

Stephen@Cult Labs 3rd December 2010 06:40 PM

It's a sad fact that many trailers don't include scenes that are in the final released cut of a movie, Point Break and Sea Of Love being two examples that come to mind (although, the scenes glimpsed in the Sea Of Love trailer can be found in the TV version of the movie).

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 7th December 2010 06:33 PM

Watched a pile of Cannon films over the last week....
MURPHY'S LAW
10 TO MIDNIGHT
MISSING IN ACTION 1,2 & 3
DELTA FORCE
DELTA FORCE 2
REVENGE OF THE NINJA
ENTER THE NINJA
AMERICAN NINJA

Can't beat a good Cannon marathon....:cool:

springjack 7th December 2010 07:29 PM

What is the best dvd release of ENTER THE NINJA?

bronx ratnik 7th December 2010 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by springjack (Post 115900)
What is the best dvd release of ENTER THE NINJA?

there's no good dvd reliese of ETN!
Only vhs NTSC tape from USA is great.

Btw I have the hard box german dvd reliese of Revenge of the ninja in widescreen, all others are 4:3

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 30th May 2011 10:49 PM

Time to resuscitate this thread.....

I picked up ENTER THE NINJA and REVENGE OF THE NINJA today and both have glorious new transfers!
Great to see Enter finally uncut!

Oh and Revenge does indeed use the fantastic Guild vhs artwork! :cool:

Perhaps Optimum will go on a wee Canon run now eh?

Exterminator 2?:pray:

Pete 30th May 2011 10:56 PM

Sorry to get all nerdy here but ENTER is still cut. But it's only a cockfight - none of the people voilence is missing.

springjack 30th May 2011 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 154589)
Time to resuscitate this thread.....

I picked up ENTER THE NINJA and REVENGE OF THE NINJA today and both have glorious new transfers!
Great to see Enter finally uncut!

Oh and Revenge does indeed use the fantastic Guild vhs artwork! :cool:

Perhaps Optimum will go on a wee Canon run now eh?

Exterminator 2?:pray:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 154593)
Sorry to get all nerdy here but ENTER is still cut. But it's only a cockfight - none of the people voilence is missing.

Yeah... "Enter The Ninja" is still cut... but a cockfight won´t spoil the fun...

I just want my "Ninja III: The Domination"...
Well, the "Exterminator 2" DVD is also welcome.

Stephen@Cult Labs 31st May 2011 12:22 PM

It certainly is a great and classic piece of art for ROTN. Optimum are doing us proud constantly using original artwork.

http://tapatalk.com/mu/5c02035c-dd89-6158.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Splatterdragon73 31st May 2011 12:43 PM

I confess to quite liking MGM's R1 DVD artwork for ROTN but said Stateside sleeve doesn't hold a candle to Optimum's superior U.K. cover.:)

bronx ratnik 31st May 2011 05:41 PM

the new reliese for ETN is cut if I understood you guys right?

is it noticable when the cockfight scene vanishes from the movie?
or are there only tiny cuts here end there that removes the complete scene?

is it a remastered version of this movie?
Widescreen or 4:3 pan and scan version?

What's the cut status on RTN?
remastered version or not?
Widescreen or not?
There are some scenes in the trailers that doesn't appear in the movie!
some shooting with bow and arrow scenes in the tall building complex.
Are these scenes still missing?

Overall rating is it worth wasting money on both these dvd's?

Stephen@Cult Labs 31st May 2011 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bronx ratnik (Post 154754)
the new reliese for ETN is cut if I understood you guys right?

is it noticable when the cockfight scene vanishes from the movie?
or are there only tiny cuts here end there that removes the complete scene?

is it a remastered version of this movie?
Widescreen or 4:3 pan and scan version?

What's the cut status on RTN?
remastered version or not?
Widescreen or not?
There are some scenes in the trailers that doesn't appear in the movie!
some shooting with bow and arrow scenes in the tall building complex.
Are these scenes still missing?

Overall rating is it worth wasting money on both these dvd's?

Both are widescreen and look really good. The missing cockfight scene in ETN isn't noticable at all. The guys say they can arrange a cockfight and as they run over to arrange it, the scene changes to Franco Nero training with the nunchakus. There's music playing over the cut so it helps to make it un-noticable. If you didn't know the scene was supposed to be there, you would never know it had been removed.

ROTN is uncut. Not sure if those bow and arrow scenes have been in any version of the film before, or only appear in the trailer.

bronx ratnik 31st May 2011 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 154760)
Both are widescreen and look really good. The missing cockfight scene in ETN isn't noticable at all. The guys say they can arrange a cockfight and as they run over to arrange it, the scene changes to Franco Nero training with the nunchakus. There's music playing over the cut so it helps to make it un-noticable. If you didn't know the scene was supposed to be there, you would never know it had been removed.

ROTN is uncut. Not sure if those bow and arrow scenes have been in any version of the film before, or only appear in the trailer.

thanks for your quick reply my friend much oblige. :clap:

are they in 1:85:1 widscreen or funky crap 1:78:1?

scenes missing from ROTN was only in the trailers and never seen in the final cut!
Why aren't they offered as a bonus or as a dir cut version full dvd?

Is it worth buying these dvd's as collectors items keeping them sealed for leif? :cool:
cheers

Stephen@Cult Labs 31st May 2011 06:11 PM

The back of the boxes say 1.85:1 but since widescreen tvs are 1.78:1, the dvds are actually 1.78 (I think)

Optimum don't usually offer a lot of bonus features on older films, so all we get are trailers :( I wouldn't keep these sealed. They deserve to be watched! :D

bronx ratnik 31st May 2011 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 154766)
The back of the boxes say 1.85:1 but since widescreen tvs are 1.78:1, the dvds are actually 1.78 (I think)

Optimum don't usually offer a lot of bonus features on older films, so all we get are trailers :( I wouldn't keep these sealed. They deserve to be watched! :D

ok good to know about wide format. thanks

about keeping them sealed for life, I have several dvd's like Commando dir cut.
Savage streets R1, The burning 2 different versions and many others as collectors items sealed for life.
Maybe I can make some monie in the future selling them brand new?

Stephen@Cult Labs 31st May 2011 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bronx ratnik (Post 154768)
ok good to know about wide format. thanks

about keeping them sealed for life, I have several dvd's like Commando dir cut.
Savage streets R1, The burning 2 different versions and many others as collectors items sealed for life.
Maybe I can make some monie in the future selling them brand new?

Cool. Hopefully someone else will release an uncut version of Enter The Ninja somewhere!

bronx ratnik 31st May 2011 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 154769)
Cool. Hopefully someone else will release an uncut version of Enter The Ninja somewhere!

I know that ETN was reliesed on dvd in Sweden a few years ago, I heard it was a butchered version???
Anybody knows anything about this dvd cut?

Stephen@Cult Labs 31st May 2011 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bronx ratnik (Post 154770)
I know that ETN was reliesed on dvd in Sweden a few years ago, I heard it was a butchered version???
Anybody knows anything about this dvd cut?

This could be the one. I found the cover on a Cannon site. No other information about it though.

http://tapatalk.com/mu/5c02035c-37b0-9334.jpg

bronx ratnik 31st May 2011 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 154773)
This could be the one. I found the cover on a Cannon site. No other information about it though.

http://tapatalk.com/mu/5c02035c-37b0-9334.jpg

that's the one!
which master was used for this version?
heard some nasty stuff about this reliese, NO good!:censored:

Stephen@Cult Labs 31st May 2011 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bronx ratnik (Post 154779)
that's the one!

No idea, but If it's as bad as you say, the UK dvd is the one to get. :)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 31st May 2011 07:13 PM

Never even noticed a cockfight missing......good to see the Nunchuks back!:lol:

Stephen@Cult Labs 31st May 2011 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 154785)
Never even noticed a cockfight missing......good to see the Nunchuks back!:lol:

Exactly Reaps. The music playing over the scene change works a treat.

mr 420 1st June 2011 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 154760)

Would that be the scene that appears in this trailer (Two police officers in fatigues are on top of a building firing down on Arthur Roberts who proceeds to shoot one of them through the neck)? As I said before in this thread, I'm sure that there was quite a bit missing as from the first release of this film (Maybe by MGM?). I wish I still had that old copy of Combat with the interview with Keith Vitali. It went into depth about the making of the film and him grumbling the whole way through about his big scene fighting a massive wrestler not making it to the silver screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_4RHU1UUko

Stephen@Cult Labs 2nd June 2011 06:43 AM

Just been reading up on Enter The Ninja. Looks like there are actually 2 scenes featuring cockfighting that were removed. No wonder it amounted to over a minute of cuts. Not that I missed them.

bronx ratnik 2nd June 2011 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 155118)
Just been reading up on Enter The Ninja. Looks like there are actually 2 scenes featuring cockfighting that were removed. No wonder it amounted to over a minute of cuts. Not that I missed them.

these type of cuts due to animal cruelty in movies are they always going to be cutout of motion pictures by the BBFC?
is it a lifetime biniz for BBFC to butcher the artists movie if there are any animal cruelty scenes in a movie?

I was thinking about 70-80's cannibal movies, these are real hardcore vicious movies killing animals!
What did BBFC do about these movies?
Ban them or butchering the movies beyond recognition? :censored:
Swedish censorship back in the good ole' days when the VCR's were king, swedish censorship slaughtered every horror/action flick into garbage, I had to get them uncut from my home country!

Stephen@Cult Labs 2nd June 2011 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bronx ratnik (Post 155153)
these type of cuts due to animal cruelty in movies are they always going to be cutout of motion pictures by the BBFC?
is it a lifetime biniz by the BBFC to butcher the artists movie if there are any animal cruelty scenes in a movie?

I was thinking about 70-80's cannibal movies, these are real hardcore vicious movies killing animals!
What did BBFC do about these movies?
Ban them or butchering the movies beyond recognition? :censored:
Swedish censorship back in the good ole' days when the VCR were king, swedish censorship slaughtered every action flick into garbage, I had to get them uncut from my home country!

It's crazy, but If a film shows a cockfight that was already taking place and the film makers film that, the BBFC won't cut it. They'll cut it if the filmakers show a cockfight staged for the making of the film. It's utter rubbish as far as I'm concerned.

mr 420 2nd June 2011 10:22 AM

I would personally like to see all animal cruelty removed from everything. It's not big and it's not clever, but that's just my personal opinion.

bronx ratnik 2nd June 2011 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 155158)
I would personally like to see all animal cruelty removed from everything. It's not big and it's not clever, but that's just my personal opinion.

i don't like animal cruelty either!
but in a movie like ETN that was filmed 100 years ago, british censorship removes these scenes??
WTF!
Does bullfighting appear on British national news tv from Spain or from anywhere else in the world, are these footage blurried out when they are shown?

mark meakin 2nd June 2011 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bronx ratnik (Post 154779)
that's the one!

I have the Scandinavian release of Enter The Ninja & it was taken from a heavily cut UK theatrical print as the cuts mirrored those made by the BBFC in everyway right down to the cockfights.I also own a Dutch '16' rated video version also taken from the UK theatrical print.At least now in the UK we have the longest version released on dvd to date.The artwork was also censored on the old VHS releases to remove the Shuriken no longer in the film itself thanks to the BBFC.

bronx ratnik 2nd June 2011 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark meakin (Post 155230)
I have the Scandinavian release of Enter The Ninja & it was taken from a UK theatrical print as the cuts mirrored those made by the BBFC in everyway right down to the cockfights.I also own a Dutch '16' rated video version also taken from the UK theatrical print.At least now in the UK we have the longest version released on dvd to date.

thanx for the update mate :clap:
to bad swedish dvd studio never inserted these missing scenes then it would have been the best cut, as the swedes are now more grown up as human beings compared to the early 80's when big brotha film authorities had to decide if I could see a special movie or not they had a sticky and dirty finger in almost every vhs reliese they butchered, ban or not to ban was their slogan!
WTF!
Swedes were real dix back in the good ole days!

bdc 17th August 2011 06:54 PM

Didn't realize The Godfather Squad was released back in 1977 by Cannon! ;)

http://c.dv1.us/p1/207/167207-d0.jpg

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 17th August 2011 07:00 PM

Time The Exterminator 2 was released by Optimum Bruno!:lol:

bdc 17th August 2011 07:12 PM

:lol: :thumb:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 17th August 2011 07:38 PM

:pray::pray::pray::pray:

Baseball Fury 18th August 2011 07:27 AM

It's all about THUNDER KICK

Thunder Kick trailer (Cannon Films) - YouTube

mikeleeder 10th December 2011 04:57 AM

Classic Cannon Films deserving of special editions

Its 25 years since Bloodsport burst onto the scene, why hasnt MGM or whoever currently owns rights thought about putting together a solid anniversary edition...

Think of what could be done:
Commentary by Jean-Claude Van Damme
Interviews; Jean-Claude, Bolo Yeung, Donald Gibb, Leah Ayres etc
A documentary: Kumite Revisted, visiting some of the real and reel locations for the film...the former site of the walled city, the viewpoint where JC does his splits overlooking the city.....

Albert Pyun released his directors cut of Cyborg and has an operatic cut sitting on a shelf...but am amazed especially with the resurgence in jean-Claude's popularity that nobody has done anything about this

Other films i'd love to see given the special edition treatment from the Cannon vaults;
American Ninja: Commentary by Sam Firstenberg & Michael Dudikoff
Interviews: Sam Firstenberg, Michael D, Judie Aronson
Remebering Steve James

American Ninja 2

Cyborg

Avenging Force

Invasion USA: Joseph Zito commentary, he just did the Red Scorpion one

so many more.......

Scyther 15th December 2011 08:31 PM

Love the old Cannon films! Was lucky enough to score a number of VHS tapes relatively cheap at the local thrift store with Messenger of Death and Code of Silence!

Still searching for a DVD copy of Enter the Ninja here in my neck of the woods. :(

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 25th January 2012 07:49 PM

Have a look at these......:cool:

Exterminator 2 trailer (Cannon Films) - YouTube

EXTERMINATOR 2 MAKING OF PART 2 - YouTube