Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The VHS Vaults (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=417)
-   -   Cannon Films (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/vhs-vaults/591-cannon-films.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 19th July 2008 03:41 PM

Cannon Films

I know you like the old Cannon titles Almar.Oscar over at CMF found this site...if you like a trip down memory lane,then this is a MUST SEE!-this guy must have some feckin collection!:cool::woot:

http://www.cannonfilms.co.uk/

Almar@Cult Labs 19th July 2008 04:50 PM

Whoa! Great site - I used to own some Cannon domains with various designs on setting up a fan site but as always am far too lazy so never did. I'm going to have to contact this guy - I have some more rare Cannon Pictures logo examples. Yup I am very very sad. :ack:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 19th July 2008 05:00 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Some of the old covers were superb!

TALL DUDE 29th July 2008 07:02 PM

Pity we couldnt get a legit release of ninja 3: the domination.Would love to see this one again.:o

bedorca 6th August 2008 07:41 PM

Fabulous website

Hey Almar, what happened to Humoungous?

Almar@Cult Labs 6th August 2008 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bedorca (Post 11976)
Fabulous website

Hey Almar, what happened to Humoungous?

Good question! It like many other fine suggestions on the site are being slowly slowly worked through - so much crap gets in the way every day though - it's torture sometimes.

bedorca 6th August 2008 07:55 PM

I understand mate

When you see all the fantastic covers, obscure titles raked from the dead and brilliant suggestions on these forums it seems a lifetime is not long enough ............ :mad:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 6th August 2008 08:03 PM

Wish to fek I could win the lottery.....:rolleyes:

siccoyote 7th August 2008 04:28 AM

I have an original poster of Ninja III that I just bought a couple of months ago.

WaveCrest 27th September 2008 06:07 PM

I used to like the Cannon Films introductions before the start of the Death Wish and Charles Bronson films they made, produced or distributed.

Stephen@Cult Labs 2nd December 2009 02:59 PM

Cannon Films

Cannon released some of the best action films of the 80's from the American Ninja series to Exterminator 2 and it's a real shame we don't have a company like that releasing films today.Found a Cannon Films youtube channel wth lots of trailers for movies they made.Some great trailers and some great 80's cheese.

http://www.youtube.com/user/CannonFi...04/t6Bfj6irLsg

Almar@Cult Labs 2nd December 2009 03:48 PM

Now here's a thread to get excited about! Interestingly they planned a Dirty Dozen style flick with their roster of action stars in the 80s which never came to play. But... a good few ex Cannon people at Nu Image/Millenium who are bringing out The Expendables - the film where all action films converge! :bananasuit:

Stephen@Cult Labs 2nd December 2009 04:52 PM

The Expendables is going to be awesome! Also found this link to Cannon's UK site.Lots of UK/German/Benelux vhs covers.Brings back some memories.

http://www.cannon.org.uk/

Pete 2nd December 2009 05:05 PM

During his q&a in Glasgow Ruggero Deodato said Cannon offered him the chance to direct Spiderman!

Would have been interesting.

Stephen@Cult Labs 2nd December 2009 05:07 PM

Was it the Cannon Spiderman that James Cameron was once attatched to?

EDIT: It was Carolco I was thinkng of there

vincenzo 2nd December 2009 10:01 PM

Thankfully common sense prevailed, and Deodato & Spider-Man never met. :nod:

There is a vague connection between the two in the first Spider-Man film though. The tugboat captain who helps rescue the trapped civilians in the tramcar on the bridge is Robert Kerman.

Daemonia 3rd December 2009 03:08 PM

Oh, I don't know, Vin - I reckon a Deodato-directed Spider-Man would've been amazing(ly bad). He'd have cast David Hess as Spiderman and called it Holocaust in the Last House on the Edge of the Park....with Spiderman. :D

Seriously though, some of these Italian directors say the weirdest things. Like Lenzi reckoning that Hollywood stole his idea of Nightmare City for...wait for it...Philadelphia. You what? Did I hear right? *rewinds* Yes, he sure did say that. If anyone can possibly explain the correlation between the two, then please enlighten me. Thanks. :D

vincenzo 3rd December 2009 03:12 PM

Deodato would probably have thought a Goblin was an elf with his head between his legs. :ack:

spooks 3rd December 2009 03:13 PM

I remember reading somewhere Joseph Zito was down to do Cannon's proposed Spiderman.

Daemonia 3rd December 2009 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spooks (Post 51330)
I remember reading somewhere Joseph Zito was down to do Cannon's proposed Spiderman.

Zito would've given us Prowlerman. Groovy! :lol:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 3rd December 2009 07:06 PM

Nightmare City and Philadelphia?
WTF?:laugh:

Perhaps dear old Umberto approached Springsteen to do a song for his film,and was told where to go...:laugh:

Was society prejudiced against the guacomole-faced zombies perhaps?

Mr Lenzi,lay of the weed man!:laugh::dizzy:

vincenzo 3rd December 2009 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 51352)
Nightmare City and Philadelphia?
WTF?:laugh:

Well they're both a solid block of cheese. :lol:

Stephen@Cult Labs 19th November 2010 11:03 AM

A nice little interview over at aintitcoolnews with Menahem Golan, talking about Cannon.

AICN Legends: Capone covers the Cannon Films canon with producer/director Menahem Golan!!! -- Ain't It Cool News: The best in movie, TV, DVD, and comic book news.

wayfarer 19th November 2010 11:51 AM

This thread takes me back to the 80s with a fond nostalgia. I used to rent movies every week and most of them were Cannon. I can't access the Cannon site at work, strangely, but I remember watching Invasion USA, Highlander, American Ninja amoungst many others. I liked the logo (mentioned previously) where the metal lines formed the symbol.

MGM seem to own a lot of them, releasing bare bones DVD releases. Movies like Invasion USA really need some attention. I guess that there isn't a huge call for them, though.

bdc 19th November 2010 12:40 PM

Picked this up years ago:
Hollywood a Go-Go: An Account of the Cannon Phenomenon paperback.

Should be an interesting read for Cannon enthusiasts.

There's still some very cheap used copies on Amazon.

Amazon.co.uk: Used and New: Hollywood a Go-Go: An Account of the Cannon Phenomenon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

Stephen@Cult Labs 19th November 2010 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayfarer (Post 113235)
Movies like Invasion USA really need some attention. I guess that there isn't a huge call for them, though.

I'd love to hear some commentaries from Chuck Norris or Michael Dudikoff and David Bradley (see what he has to say about American Ninja 5!)

buggenhagen 19th November 2010 04:53 PM

Cannon Films

Thanks for the tip-off about the book - sounds interesting so have ordered a copy.

Stephen@Cult Labs 19th November 2010 09:40 PM

Thanks for the link bdc. May have to pick that book up.

The interview with Menahem Golan on aintitcool is very interesting. i didn't have a clue that Cannon had sort of brought back the notion of actors contracted to a particular studio. A little off topic but I've always found it fascinating the way the old studio system used to work with the moguls and the contracted players who were basically owned by the studio and were told how to act, dress, and even their social activities controlled. The things people will do for fame eh?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 20th November 2010 12:33 AM

Wish to hell Optimum would release that old Cannon fave,EXTERMINATOR 2.

Sure they own the rights now......

Stephen@Cult Labs 20th November 2010 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 113408)

I believe you're right Reaps. All these films out there that companies own but have no intention of releasing. :(

Gigantor 20th November 2010 11:41 AM

Yeah it's amazing how many companies are sittingon these movies that will never see the light of day ever again,Sad really

bronx ratnik 22nd November 2010 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 113408)

I have the NTSC tape of this movie Exterminator 2, it was cut by the studio.
I hate it when US videos were softened because they were to violent!
I hope this movie gets a proper dvd reliese like the first part!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 22nd November 2010 07:27 PM

Watched a couple of Cannon classics yesterday-ENTER THE NINJA and REVENGE OF THE NINJA.:cool:

bronx ratnik 22nd November 2010 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 113779)
Watched a couple of Cannon classics yesterday-ENTER THE NINJA and REVENGE OF THE NINJA.:cool:

ah those were the days!
these movies never go out of date or style!
much better than new movies today!

only new good actor today is Jason Statham, and he's British sun of a gun!:clap:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 22nd November 2010 07:32 PM

Whatever happened to Sho Kosugi?

bronx ratnik 22nd November 2010 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 113785)
Whatever happened to Sho Kosugi?

he got old!
he retired!
only a ninja can kill a ninja!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 22nd November 2010 07:36 PM

:lol:

Nice Avatar-Codename The Soldier,another 80's classic.:cool:

bronx ratnik 22nd November 2010 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 113788)
:lol:

Nice Avatar-Codename The Soldier,another 80's classic.:cool:

I dunno know what it is, but I do like SGI movies!
Shapiro/Glickenhaus made some cool stuff back in the 80's!

back to Cannon films.
Invasion USA was banned in my country for long time, entire 80's and 90's, and when it was reliesed on dvd in UK it finally came to ABBA land!
f-ckin' swedish censorship!
destroying piece of art by removing picture frames!!
well I would like to have had that job, watching all the goodies and all blue movies! :tongue1: :dance:
well there's nomore censorship in my country, big brotha doesn't know what the citizens are wathing anymore by controlling the videomarket!
they destroyed all the fun by butchering or banned mostly all violent movies!
Fu-- the government having to decide what I'm going to watch!
And they have the rights to decide ban or butchering the movie and I can't watch it complete as it intended to be!
Fu-- dat! :doh:
lucky for us there are nomore faschist idiots working for the censorship bureau!

mr 420 25th November 2010 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 113250)
Picked this up years ago:
Hollywood a Go-Go: An Account of the Cannon Phenomenon paperback.

Should be an interesting read for Cannon enthusiasts.

There's still some very cheap used copies on Amazon.

Amazon.co.uk: Used and New: Hollywood a Go-Go: An Account of the Cannon Phenomenon

Amazon.com: Used and New: Hollywood a Go-Go: An Account of the Cannon Phenomenon

I've just finished watching an interview with Mark Hartley (director of Not Quite Hollywood and the upcoming Machette Massacre Maidens) in which he says that he wants to finish the trilogy with.................the story of Cannon films! I would pay to see this for the Sam Firstenburg stuff alone. Fingers crossed.:woot:

Splatterdragon73 27th November 2010 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 113779)
REVENGE OF THE NINJA.:cool:

An unbridled classic piece of Ninja action this and imo Sho Kosugi's finest film.

Plenty of gratuitous violence and 'Shadow Warrior' shenanigans. Not to mention a nice bit of Shogun Assassin-esque blood spillage in the final reel.:rockon:

MGM's R1 DVD isn't perfect but at least looks great and i'd happily snap up ROTN on BR in a heartbeat.

The mother of all '80s Ninja epics as far as yours truly is concerned.:nod: