Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Why Don't Shameless Release...? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Mark of the Devil (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/why-dont-shameless-release/190-mark-devil.html)

Peter Neal 12th April 2008 03:24 PM

"Mark of the Devil"'s cuts in the ABUK release are basically unnoticable to anybody unfamiliar with the uncut version, though the scene in question partly pops up in the trailer, which is also included on the DVD).

If only the sequel would surface on any official and halfway decent DVD release.....:rolleyes:;)

vipco 12th April 2008 04:48 PM

The only version i've seen of this film was the old Redemption one and that was around 10 years ago.
So you would recommend the ABUK release Peter, as its currently on my next months 'to buy' list as I went a bit nuts buying games and Blu Ray disc's this month.

vincenzo 12th April 2008 05:57 PM

The Redemption video was heavily cut (over 4 mins). As Peter says the 38 secs missing from the ABUK DVD really are barely noticeable. Just a few topless breast shots during the rack scene.

I prefer Witchfinder General myself but Mark Of The Devil is still a pretty nasty film and well worthy of purchasing. I haven't seen the sequel for years now and only then on a very poor quality VHS recording. To date it's never received an official UK release though it would sail through the BBFC now.

Angel 12th April 2008 08:51 PM

Yes I would agree with the sequel passing uncut today. It's very restraint as far as sexual violence is concerned though there are still some very gruesome scenes of torture.

Peter Neal 14th April 2008 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vipco (Post 2464)
The only version i've seen of this film was the old Redemption one and that was around 10 years ago.
So you would recommend the ABUK release Peter, as its currently on my next months 'to buy' list as I went a bit nuts buying games and Blu Ray disc's this month.

Absolutely, particularly when you find it for a good prize.:)

That music (the "German softsex" score AND the haunting violines accompanying Herbert Lom's witchfinder on his course:D)and THAT ending really linger in your mind for a while.:o

Exploitation cinema with enough potential to get you actually thinking about its themes. I like it.

vincenzo 14th April 2008 09:56 PM

The soundtrack (by Michael Holm) is absolutely awesome. It was released on the German Diggler label, together with 8 pieces from Mark Of The Devil II, and the CD came with an equally terrific illustrated booklet.

Angel 15th April 2008 10:10 AM

Love the theme tune. Very catchy.

By the way, Vince, which film did you find more disturbing this film or Witchfinder General?

vincenzo 15th April 2008 10:48 AM

Personally I found Witchfinder General to be the more disturbing of the two. The most unpleasant part for me in Mark Of The Devil was the eventual burning of Gaby Fuchs. I found a lot of it to be a bit too campy (especially Reggie Nalder's character), and Vincent Price's performance was far more cold and bone-chilling than Herbert Lom.

Susan Foreman 15th March 2015 08:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Strange as it seems...

The Variety weekly Top-Grossing Film list dated April 19th, 1972 has 'Mark of the Devil' at number 9!

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th March 2015 03:02 PM

I think i'd have gone to see the double bill of Klute and McCabe and Mrs Miller at no- 6 instead. :lol: