All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree688Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th April 2014, 01:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
From Scorpion releasing:

"Due to the dismal BluRay sales (most selling 600 or less) of the titles that had been out before numerous times on DVD, and the fact that the DVDs of some of these BluRay titles sold much better (DEATHSHIP, TOMBOY to name a few) , Any titles falling into this category, I will only press 1,000 (1,200 on the more popular ones) BluRays and sell them as limited editions.
Now, since I don’t have an outlet to sell direct yet, these new Limited Edition Blu-Rays will be sold by Code Red on their website, as he seems to have found a much more successful mode for selling catalog BluRays than I have selling them through retail outfits. (now I can see why Twilight Time went with this business approach)
The first batch of BluRays that will be sold on Code Red's web site are:
GIRLY
MORTUARY
DON’T ANSWER THE PHONE
And the long awaited release of GRIZZLY (since DAY OF THE ANIMALS sold less than TOWER OF EVIL or THE UNSEEN, and both of those sold barely 1,000 units, which is why I think 1,000 - 1200 is the right number to press these titles, like GRIZZLY.)
Also, all future BluRay titles will now be put on hold (like SORORITY HOUSE MASSACRE and HAUNTING OF MORELLA), until each are carefully determined to see if they have a shot at making a profit through retail outlets (only two BluRays have for me so far) or will be a limited edition that will be available on my new web site that I am building. The future status of all BluRays I release will be evaluated and any decisions will be posted here.
Thank you for understanding."

code red dvd store
Sad to hear .

You'd think Mortuary would have done well at retail though, considering the two titles that did well were slashers.
Old 18th April 2014, 01:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
From Scorpion releasing:

"Due to the dismal BluRay sales (most selling 600 or less) of the titles that had been out before numerous times on DVD, and the fact that the DVDs of some of these BluRay titles sold much better (DEATHSHIP, TOMBOY to name a few) , Any titles falling into this category, I will only press 1,000 (1,200 on the more popular ones) BluRays and sell them as limited editions.
Now, since I don’t have an outlet to sell direct yet, these new Limited Edition Blu-Rays will be sold by Code Red on their website, as he seems to have found a much more successful mode for selling catalog BluRays than I have selling them through retail outfits. (now I can see why Twilight Time went with this business approach)
GIRLY
MORTUARY
DON’T ANSWER THE PHONE
And the long awaited release of GRIZZLY (since DAY OF THE ANIMALS sold less than TOWER OF EVIL or THE UNSEEN, and both of those sold barely 1,000 units, which is why I think 1,000 - 1200 is the right number to press these titles, like GRIZZLY.)
Also, all future BluRay titles will now be put on hold (like SORORITY HOUSE MASSACRE and HAUNTING OF MORELLA), until each are carefully determined to see if they have a shot at making a profit through retail outlets (only two BluRays have for me so far) or will be a limited edition that will be available on my new web site that I am building. The future status of all BluRays I release will be evaluated and any decisions will be posted here.

code red dvd store
I'm not surprised at all. We are talking about niche films that don't sell that well on DVD, never mind a less popular format like Blu-ray. You also have to bear in mind that the costs associated with producing Blu-rays are much greater than those of DVD.
Old 18th April 2014, 03:47 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
From Scorpion releasing:

GIRLY
MORTUARY
DON’T ANSWER THE PHONE

code red dvd store
A shame that they had to go down this route, although it makes sense from a business point of view if they're just not getting the sales figures. I'll continue to support both Code Red and Scorpion though as long as they keep releasing titles that appeal to me.
Old 24th April 2014, 03:15 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Had en email to say "Screamers" Blu Ray will not be coming out on May 5th and I have not been charged. Bit gutted was looking forward to this one is it coming out at all via either retailer or can we kiss this goodbye?
Old 24th April 2014, 03:36 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold6082 View Post
Had en email to say "Screamers" Blu Ray will not be coming out on May 5th and I have not been charged. Bit gutted was looking forward to this one is it coming out at all via either retailer or can we kiss this goodbye?
As referenced above, I think that Walter from Scorpion has mentioned that due to poor Blu-ray sales he will no longer be selling his discs to retailers post House on Sorority Row, and until he has his own e-shop up and running he will be using Bill's Code Red Bigcartel site. He's also thinking of going down the 'limited pressing' route for at least some of his future titles. I'm not sure whether Screamers will still be on his upcoming slate but I hope so as I was looking forward to that release too.
Old 25th April 2014, 10:13 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

The House on Sorority Row @ Mondo Digital
Old 25th April 2014, 11:32 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

ALWAYS buy the Scorpion Blu's.
Shame.

My House on Sorority Row shipped from Movietyme earlier this week!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 26th April 2014, 08:46 AM
Seasoned Cultist

I wanted to buy The Unseen and was really looking forward to it, but after hearing of the several problems with it (some extras not selectable, commentary repeating itself), will definitely not do so.
Old 26th April 2014, 10:25 PM
Cult Rookie

I have collected several Scorpion DVD and Blu ray, I really enjoy the Katarina Nightmare Theater series. Of course newer blu's not falling under Katarina i have not bought, generally any decision is based on bonus features vs. cost. Without Katarina and little or no features - a $26 - $30 blu ray isn't as appealing. It makes it really hard since even if Katarina IS featured on a blu ray, lately they don't even say it in descriptions lately.
Old 13th May 2014, 08:38 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Sad news from Walter, owner of Scorpion Releasing:

Quote:
With the demise of the KNT line, and with me recently switching distributors, most of the genre stuff, unless they are really big, I will no longer be pursuing.

Like this? Share it using the links below!