Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > The Horror Tannery > Collecting Horror

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 12:39 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default Found Footage Horror

I know this genre is really popular and Blair Witch Project really brought it to the mainstream there was then a whole slew of them

Grave Encounters
[REC]
Cloverfield
[REC] 2
Paranormal Activity
Paranormal Entity

I think these have various degrees of success because for them to work you have to believe that what you are seeing is real and if you dont then it falls flat on its arse. What do you think of these
Old 06-19-2012, 01:00 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Bored rigid with them for the most part. While I acknowledge the importance of the genre for low-budget and independent filmmakers it's just so mind-numbingly dull to keep seeing these films brought out. They often betray their found-footage status anyway (The Last Exorcism, while not that bad a film, does loads of shot-reverse-shots in the scene in the barn and actually has non-diegetic sound which is impossible for a found footage film) and even if they don't I often find myself shouting "just put the camera down and run away dickhead!"

I am looking forward to Rec 3 though.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:33 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

What I really hate about this sub-genre is that the cameramen are so useless. I don't know anyone who films like that, not even for home movies. They don't fling their cameras around and zoom like ****ing crazy. They just don't. So right there it stretches credibility for me. Most people just point and shoot with very little kineticism. So why couldn't the guy in Cloverfield actually just point his camera at the ****ing thing and just film it, you twat? No, he has to whirl around in circles and zoom and constantly move the camera so that we all get a communal headache and the camera is never still long enough to fully absorb what it is we're supposed to be looking at. Completely unbelievable.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:39 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Found footage (and its close relative the fake documentary):

Good:

Diary Of The Dead
REC
Cannibal Holocaust
Lake Mungo
84 Charlie Mopic
Troll Hunter
Ghostwatch
Man Bites Dog

OK:

The Tunnel
The Last Broadcast

Interesting but horrible:

August Underground

Bad:

Cloverfield
Paranormal Activity
Apollo 18
Quarantine
The Blair Witch Project
The Fourth Kind

I have probably forgotten a few and there are several key ones I need to see.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Forum Moderator

It made me so angry watching Cloverfield for the reasons Daemonia has already stated.

You find yourself staring at the roof or floor for most of the film.
Daemonia likes this.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:30 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I hated Cloverfield so much. I never would have imagined I could despise a giant monster film that much, but by Dog I did. HATED IT.
Daemonia likes this.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:41 PM
Ex-member

I only appreciated the experience one saturday night in 2000 in a small theatre in Nijmegen (NL) when me and a mate were high (ganja) and decided to check out The Blair Witch Project. Can't say I was really scared, but truly fascinated for sure.

Since then nothing has come close to it, and I'd rather watch the Blair Witch Project II than most found footage 'movies' that have come out since the first one.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:06 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
I hated Cloverfield so much. I never would have imagined I could despise a giant monster film that much, but by Dog I did. HATED IT.
CLOVERFIELD is very OVERRATED!
Daemonia likes this.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:10 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

My biggest problem with these movies is at a certain point you would STOP filming, if you were in mortal danger, not carry on so that as most say in these movies" I have to keep filming it's all I have left" etc, etc.... Bollocks. You would chuck the camera down and run.
Daemonia likes this.
"A good fight should be like a small play...but played seriously. When the opponent expands, l contract. When he contracts, l expand. And when there is an opportunity... l do not hit...it hits all by itself."
Old 06-19-2012, 06:24 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wongfeihung62 View Post
My biggest problem with these movies is at a certain point you would STOP filming, if you were in mortal danger, not carry on so that as most say in these movies" I have to keep filming it's all I have left" etc, etc.... Bollocks. You would chuck the camera down and run.
I would, i'd think shite to the camera I can buy another. I'd prefer my life over film footage
Daemonia and wongfeihung62 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!